Electives in ERAS as USCE! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-21-2011
b.abid's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 167
Threads: 56
Thanked 89 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 99
Question Electives in ERAS as USCE!

Hi all

I've done a 2 months hands on elective in USA. Where should I mention that in ERAS? in medical education because it appears in my transcript? would it be considered a us clinical experience that way?

thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 08-21-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,878 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4931
Default

Yes, put it under medical education.

Yes, PDs will realize that you have USCE.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-21-2011
b.abid's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 167
Threads: 56
Thanked 89 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 99
Default

Thank you Sabio, I really appreciate you help
I believe that what you said is the way to go. Nonetheless, I sent this email to ERAS support :

-I have done 2 months hands - on clinical training during my med school ( an elective ) in a university affiliated community hospital in Detroit, MI. This training appears in my transcripts ( it is called elective and we have the option to do it in my home country or outside ). Should it be listed as work experience or medical education in the application?
-I have graduated and got my degree but in my home country we are supposed to finish a 1 year training before getting the final license to practice medicine ( it is called internship ) where we have direct contact with patients and do almost a resident's work. Where should this be listed ? As a work experience or as a residency ?

and this is what I got :

Both of these will be listed in the “Experience” tab of the application. If you have been paid for these experiences then they may be included as “work experience”. If they were unpaid you will list them as volunteer experience.


What do you think about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-21-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,317
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,878 Times in 1,808 Posts
Reputation: 4931
Default

The people who answer ERAS email questions are not US physicians. They are just people experienced with ERAS software.

I think that mentioning the electives under medical education is the way to go since it's part of your curriculum.

However, let me tell you a secret.

There's no hard rule in ERAS. It does not really matter where you put the stuff as long as it is understandable and logical.

The important thing is to get the the PDs and residency coordinators understand what you have done.

If you put them under volunteer it might not grab their attention as a USCE compared to where if you were to put it under medical education.

That's my personal opinion.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
b.abid (08-21-2011), Taayseer (05-22-2016)
  #5  
Old 08-21-2011
b.abid's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 167
Threads: 56
Thanked 89 Times in 43 Posts
Reputation: 99
Default

Thank you. I too believe that this is the way to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-16-2012
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
The people who answer ERAS email questions are not US physicians. They are just people experienced with ERAS software.

I think that mentioning the electives under medical education is the way to go since it's part of your curriculum.

However, let me tell you a secret.

There's no hard rule in ERAS. It does not really matter where you put the stuff as long as it is understandable and logical.

The important thing is to get the the PDs and residency coordinators understand what you have done.

If you put them under volunteer it might not grab their attention as a USCE compared to where if you were to put it under medical education.

That's my personal opinion.

-
You cant put it under Medical Education , because is just lists of degrees.
Please can you tell me what I should Do ? I am very confused of this matter ? Should I put under work Sabio ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-17-2012
LatinGeorge's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 653
Threads: 47
Thanked 408 Times in 249 Posts
Reputation: 418
Default

I wanted to put it under medical education but asks for a degree. Anyone did this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-20-2012
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinGeorge View Post
I wanted to put it under medical education but asks for a degree. Anyone did this?
honestly I just asked my school to put my rotations and where in my MSPE now, and I am adding the ELEctives in Canada and US under the work. Observership under volunteering and research under research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-20-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 538 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 548
Default

hey where you put electives if your medical school does not count it among its rotations ie we dont get credit for it so dont know if they will even mention it in my transcript or show a blank space in those months

so in such as case is it a volunteer experience as no one gets paid for electives ( infact we pay for it alot .....) or just put it under work experience ???? is it like who cares , it just needs to look like a USCE and will look more better in work experience than volunteer ???

what happens if someone was not paid and still puts electives in work experience does eras take action on this ????

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-20-2012
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
hey where you put electives if your medical school does not count it among its rotations ie we dont get credit for it so dont know if they will even mention it in my transcript or show a blank space in those months

so in such as case is it a volunteer experience as no one gets paid for electives ( infact we pay for it alot .....) or just put it under work experience ???? is it like who cares , it just needs to look like a USCE and will look more better in work experience than volunteer ???

what happens if someone was not paid and still puts electives in work experience does eras take action on this ????

thanks
in the exprience section, some say volunteer some say work. it dont matter, eras people told me put it under work. next year they are making a new tab as per say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Hitman (08-20-2012)
  #11  
Old 08-20-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 223
Threads: 28
Thanked 97 Times in 56 Posts
Reputation: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
honestly I just asked my school to put my rotations and where in my MSPE now, and I am adding the ELEctives in Canada and US under the work. Observership under volunteering and research under research
they say if it's unpaid you cannot put it under work. the consent has been so far to put any kind of usce under volunteer. isn't it ok? Sabio, could you suggest how to put under medical education if it requires a degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
LatinGeorge (08-20-2012)
  #12  
Old 08-20-2012
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappeuse View Post
they say if it's unpaid you cannot put it under work. the consent has been so far to put any kind of usce under volunteer. isn't it ok? Sabio, could you suggest how to put under medical education if it requires a degree?


Look you put it under anything it wont make a difference, its the same thing in the Program Coordinators Eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Electives-Rotations, ERAS-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Research Electives or Clinical Electives?? liaison4fun USCE & Clinical Rotations 5 07-07-2012 11:30 PM
Getting into Residency without USCE leftose IMG Residency Match Forum 9 12-16-2011 06:03 PM
Am graduate now, what USCE can I get? kulya_tushar USCE & Clinical Rotations 3 06-26-2011 06:09 AM
Does USCE have to be as a doctor? samven USCE & Clinical Rotations 5 04-14-2011 04:44 PM
Is One Month of USCE Enough? hedihav_x USCE & Clinical Rotations 3 11-20-2010 03:15 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)