Multiple Exam Attempts; Should I give up! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-08-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Unhappy Multiple Exam Attempts; Should I give up!

Hi, I am a IMG/U.S. Citizen, I have my ECFMG certificate, US clinical experience, no gaps in my CV , 5 years from graduation,

however, I have 4 attempts on step 1
1 attempt on step 2 CK
NO ATTEMPTS on CS
I took the Step 3 to improve my CV, but unfortunately, again failed that exam too, I know I can pass it the second time around,..but my question is,

Should I continue or is it time for me to give up?
I dont want to give up, I feel I will pass the step 3 and then I can apply, but with all these attempts, do I really have a chance anywhere for residency.

I am currently working in a University, which has residency programs, and will be starting research there as well. With all this information, can someone please advice me what I should do, should I invest more time and pass the step 3 (will I have a chance for residency)

If not what do I do?

please help,

gratefully,

Determined
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 09-08-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 535
Threads: 12
Thanked 615 Times in 247 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Hi Determined

It is not impossible, even if you have double 76 scores and multiple attempts. I have many applicants over the previous 3 years matching with such profile especially in FM. My advice to you is apply widely to IM and FM to the IMG friendly programs to get any possible interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Nekky (09-12-2011)
  #3  
Old 09-08-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Re to ApplicantGuide,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will be applying to FM, IM, and Psychiatry. Are there any specific programs, or regions to which you are referring too, or that you can recommend?





anyone else with similar experience, please share.

Just to clarify, I have
3 failed attempts step 1 (4 attempts)
1 failed attempt step 2 Ck (2 attempts)
NO FAILED ATTEMPTS on step 2 CS
1 failed attempt on step 3, (planning on taking it again)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 09-08-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 25
Threads: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default dont give up

bro, if u have the determination anything is possible. just dont give up , i have seen ppl match with much worse profiles but as applicantguide said , u need to apply widely and esp to community programs , try and build contacts in the uni where u r working, if not there, maybe the ppl there can hook u up with some other program which is more relaxed , but never give up ,,, try and take the step 3 with better preparation this time .u have the advantage of not needing the visa, use that to the max and apply to programs not open to visa requiring grads. good luck .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-09-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,316
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,900 Times in 1,809 Posts
Reputation: 4953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined View Post
I am currently working in a University, which has residency programs, and will be starting research there as well.
I suggest you use your current work to get connections into the selection committee of those residency programs.
These people if they know you very well and they like you, they can ignore your multiple attempts and/or low scores.

Wishing you all the luck.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Itwillhappensoon (09-21-2011), theartofbone (09-10-2011)
  #6  
Old 09-20-2011
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 76
Threads: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined View Post
Hi, I am a IMG/U.S. Citizen, I have my ECFMG certificate, US clinical experience, no gaps in my CV , 5 years from graduation,

however, I have 4 attempts on step 1
1 attempt on step 2 CK
NO ATTEMPTS on CS
I took the Step 3 to improve my CV, but unfortunately, again failed that exam too, I know I can pass it the second time around,..but my question is,

Should I continue or is it time for me to give up?
I dont want to give up, I feel I will pass the step 3 and then I can apply, but with all these attempts, do I really have a chance anywhere for residency.

I am currently working in a University, which has residency programs, and will be starting research there as well. With all this information, can someone please advice me what I should do, should I invest more time and pass the step 3 (will I have a chance for residency)

If not what do I do?

please help,

gratefully,

Determined

apply to Neuro, Path, IM, FM you will get matched I promise you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-21-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 29
Threads: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

I am not sure why ppl like Hazmi are giving false hope.
The truth is that most programs have filters for attempts.

There are many ppl without attempts who fail to match every year. And the situation is going to get worse with more AMGs graduating each year and residency spots remaining the same number. The situation is getting worse by the year for IMGs

I agree with Sabio that ur best bet is connections. But even so, u hav to backup plan, e.g. research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-21-2011
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 76
Threads: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftose View Post
I am not sure why ppl like Hazmi are giving false hope.
The truth is that most programs have filters for attempts.

There are many ppl without attempts who fail to match every year. And the situation is going to get worse with more AMGs graduating each year and residency spots remaining the same number. The situation is getting worse by the year for IMGs

I agree with Sabio that ur best bet is connections. But even so, u hav to backup plan, e.g. research
Caribean Medical Graduates will match with multiple attempts. Besides, is all about yoru PS and how many programs you apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Itwillhappensoon (09-21-2011)
  #9  
Old 09-21-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Any more advice please

I am in the exact situation as this poster. A US Citizen carib grad.
Have attempts in step 1, none in step 2ck/cs
Now an attempt in Step 3 missed by a point... =(

Working at a University hospital
Have publications
Us experience

applied to IM/FM - no IVs
but the with the step 3, I think it is hurting my application ...

I feel like I am forced to take the step 3 again soon before this application season ends to prove myself... good idea or not?

I know ppl have matched many years ago with this profile, but recently its been getting competitive.

Determined ... we will do it some how ... some way... eventually bc it is not in our spirit to give up and life cannot be so cruel. I hope ... :sorry:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-22-2011
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 76
Threads: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwillhappensoon View Post
I am in the exact situation as this poster. A US Citizen carib grad.
Have attempts in step 1, none in step 2ck/cs
Now an attempt in Step 3 missed by a point... =(

Working at a University hospital
Have publications
Us experience

applied to IM/FM - no IVs
but the with the step 3, I think it is hurting my application ...

I feel like I am forced to take the step 3 again soon before this application season ends to prove myself... good idea or not?

I know ppl have matched many years ago with this profile, but recently its been getting competitive.

Determined ... we will do it some how ... some way... eventually bc it is not in our spirit to give up and life cannot be so cruel. I hope ... :sorry:
go for Neruo, Path, IM [NY and Cali]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Failed-Attempts, Match-Probability

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blood Transfusion: To give or not to give! Ayshee USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 7 03-30-2012 08:19 PM
Why do we give multiple medications JSA-mant USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 04-10-2011 08:47 AM
Best month to give exam Parag USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 2 08-22-2010 03:49 PM
When to give IV fluids and when to give blood for a bleeding pregnant patient Katharina USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 06-11-2010 04:35 AM
when to give exam monika USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 01-01-2010 02:06 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)