IMG needing reality check for Radiology, plz! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-25-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 24
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default IMG needing reality check for Radiology, plz!

Hi everyone!

I am an IMG hoping to have a slim chance to match in Radiology with H1 any location ofc

Year of Graduation 2013
Step 1: 222(almost quit after this)
Step 2CK: Aiming for 240+
Step 2CS: In June

1 year of research experience, no publications yet, one in writing proces
3 years of teaching Anatomy at the top Medical University in Denmark
Planning to get LORs this summer

1. How many LORs would you recommend and how many from Radiology vs Non radiology?

2. Is there anything else I can do to improve and what do you think chances are for matching?

Any input would be highly appreciated!
Thx

Last edited by Toomanyoptions; 03-25-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 03-26-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 60
Threads: 6
Thanked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 42
Send a message via Skype™ to can2us
Default

Radiology is not competitive any more.

Apply to all programs you can, you will match. Try to get 1 or 2 LORs from radiologist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drmoth (03-27-2015), Toomanyoptions (03-26-2015)
  #3  
Old 03-26-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 24
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by can2us View Post
Radiology is not competitive any more.

Apply to all programs you can, you will match. Try to get 1 or 2 LORs from radiologist.
If you are right I will send a box of chocolate your way! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 03-26-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 12
Threads: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

I agree that Radiology is not as competetive as it was a few years ago. A lot of my IMG friends interviewed/matched in radiology in the last two years.
Better scores in steps 2 and 3 will definitely help. Research is good, but getting atleast one publication will be much better than no publication.
Also, try to network with the radiology faculty at the place where you're doing research. Offer to help out on any of their projects or just talk about their research. You have a very good chance of matching into the same program where you do research.

Apply widely. Programs that were earlier considered unattainable by IMGs are now interveiwing IMGs.

At a time when interest in radiology is weaning (because of the bad job market), you can be a desirable candidate if you show a lot of enthusiasm and initiative.

Again, networking is very important. Probably the next most important after your scores.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-26-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 24
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgdoc View Post
Research is good, but getting atleast one publication will be much better than no publication.
Also, try to network with the radiology faculty at the place where you're doing research. Offer to help out on any of their projects or just talk about their research. You have a very good chance of matching into the same program where you do research.
Thanks for your reply but I dont really get the last sentence?
I won't have time to do research in US before applying this year bc I need to gather USCE after exams! I was doing a research project in Denmark for 1 year, not in the US.

By the way,
do you think 3 LOR, 1 from Rads is ok or will it make a significant difference to get 4 LOR, 2 from Rads(they are sooooo expensive!) =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-27-2015
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 471
Threads: 14
Thanked 203 Times in 163 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

The percentage of AMG in Radio is almost equal to those in Psych, its not competitive.
2011 79% for AMG in 2015 dropped to 58% for AMG for Radio
BTW I am referring to Diagnostic Radiology Not Radio onco just in case you read the NRMP report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Toomanyoptions (03-27-2015)
  #7  
Old 03-27-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 24
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazz View Post
The percentage of AMG in Radio is almost equal to those in Psych, its not competitive.
2011 79% for AMG in 2015 dropped to 58% for AMG for Radio
BTW I am referring to Diagnostic Radiology Not Radio onco just in case you read the NRMP report.
Thanks for your reply!

The advice you get from talking with different agencies that provides USCE is more like "you need 12 weeks of USCE(preferably 6 months) with minimum of 2 LORs from Radiologists and then you will have estimated 30-50% chance for matching IF everything looks fine".

Really dont know what to believe since the general opinion in here is more positive. I do need H1 visa, not J1.

I was initially planning on doing 2 USCE this summer starting late in June but would that be too little?

If I go for the third one I will first have it by Sept. 22 and have to send it late
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-27-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 12
Threads: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

I'm sorry, I assumed you were doing research in the US. Well, regardless of the place you did research, getting published in a journal indexed on Pubmed is what you should aim for.

CLinical experience is good, but IMO not crucial to match into Radiology. If I had to chaose between some USCE and no publications or No USCE and atleast one publication, I would choose the latter.

USCE is expensive through agencies. If you try to get a research position in the US, you can eventually ask to observe in the interventional rads department while doing research in DR. Kill two birds...
Also, this might get you more LORs from radiologists, not that you need all 4 to be from radiologists.

One problem with research may be visa. If you come to the US on a J1 research, you may not (confirm this) be able to switch to a H1.

If you plan to do USCE only, aim for 2-4 weeks. Not more. USCE requirement is used to filter out applicants, not filter IN. Not having any USCE might hurt you, but as long as you have some USCE you will be considered by most programs. Those programs which cite one year of clinical experience as a requirement do so to keep IMGs out. Its just a politically correct way of doing it. Again, this is just my opinion.

You can add USCE to your application until December. Applicants who did not get interviews earlier got a few after making some changes to their applications as late as december (be it ECFMG certification, or step scores. So I see no reason why USCE should be any different).

Bottomline, give preference to publications/research in radiology more than USCE. But just to be safe, have some USCE on your CV.

Last edited by imgdoc; 03-27-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-27-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 24
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgdoc View Post
I'm sorry, I assumed you were doing research in the US. Well, regardless of the place you did research, getting published in a journal indexed on Pubmed is what you should aim for.

CLinical experience is good, but IMO not crucial to match into Radiology. If I had to chaose between some USCE and no publications or No USCE and atleast one publication, I would choose the latter.

USCE is expensive through agencies. If you try to get a research position in the US, you can eventually ask to observe in the interventional rads department while doing research in DR. Kill two birds...
Also, this might get you more LORs from radiologists, not that you need all 4 to be from radiologists.

One problem with research may be visa. If you come to the US on a J1 research, you may not (confirm this) be able to switch to a H1.

If you plan to do USCE only, aim for 2-4 weeks. Not more. USCE requirement is used to filter out applicants, not filter IN. Not having any USCE might hurt you, but as long as you have some USCE you will be considered by most programs. Those programs which cite one year of clinical experience as a requirement do so to keep IMGs out. Its just a politically correct way of doing it. Again, this is just my opinion.

You can add USCE to your application until December. Applicants who did not get interviews earlier got a few after making some changes to their applications as late as december (be it ECFMG certification, or step scores. So I see no reason why USCE should be any different).

Bottomline, give preference to publications/research in radiology more than USCE. But just to be safe, have some USCE on your CV.
I can confirm that you can not switch from J1 to H1 - once J1, always J1 so in my case, because the world is a beautiful place with toomanyoptions, only H1 will do

I just heard the exact opposite advice regarding USCE and research stating that research is not so important except in university hospitals where I probably dont have a chance anyway!

I was recommended at least 12 weeks of USCE to get into the higher category of filters (filter 1: 0-1 month, filter 2: 1-3 months, filter 3:3-6 months)

You write go for 2-4 weeks of USCE - but isn't 4 weeks minimum required to get a LOR?

Thanks for your reply but right now I am even more confused!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-28-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 35
Threads: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

I don't understand how some people can be very sure with their misunderstanding.
Don't say you can confirm something if you haven't researched well through immigrant attorney or something very reliable.
Remember that your false confirmation could affect someone's life(someone careless)
Research J1 can definitely be changed to H1b visa with a proper preparation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 03-28-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 24
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by so55b View Post
I don't understand how some people can be very sure with their misunderstanding.
Don't say you can confirm something if you haven't researched well through immigrant attorney or something very reliable.
Remember that your false confirmation could affect someone's life(someone careless)
Research J1 can definitely be changed to H1b visa with a proper preparation.
I was under a different impression and I didn't mean to intentionally misinform anyone.
All the information I have read about J1 says you have to serve the 2 years in your home country when it expires, but reading your post I assume you have done this proper research and can provide relevant links then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 03-28-2015
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 471
Threads: 14
Thanked 203 Times in 163 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

I am on a J1 Research now and it states clearly the two year bar, I can apply during my j1 period for H1 but it might risk terminating my current J1 if they proved previous intentions of such step otherwise I got to serve the two years rule if not waived it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 03-30-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 24
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

I dont really know where the research J1 came from anyway, I was just referring to the J1/H1 for residency.

Last edited by Toomanyoptions; 03-30-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plz check my pn dodo89 USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 4 02-19-2014 09:06 AM
Applying to Harvard electives. Confusion regarding application fee check...plz help sachinkumar USCE & Clinical Rotations 0 07-04-2013 01:11 PM
Reality check after low step 1 scores Dan_91 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 6 04-04-2013 05:45 PM
IMG Radiology Residency! zftjhust IMG Residency Match Forum 4 01-08-2013 08:58 AM
IMG Radiology Resident looking for Radiology! m0udzak IMG Residency Match Forum 3 03-01-2012 06:42 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)