2016 Match opportunity - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-30-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 34
Threads: 7
Thanked 57 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 67
Default 2016 Match opportunity

Hi,
Congrats to everyone who have matched this year.
These are my credentials
Step 1-241
CK-259
CS-Awaiting results
YOG-2010
USCE-1 month observership in a private clinic
GC holder

Planning to apply FM/IM/Peds. What are my chances? What should i do to increase my chances. I am trying to get more observerships.
All suggestions are welcomed. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 03-30-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 16
Threads: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

I think u have very good chance near to 85% inshulla
All the best , try to increase USCE or if u r interested more in universsty program . Do research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drzamzam (04-11-2015), shaliniabhi (03-31-2015)
  #3  
Old 03-30-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 83
Threads: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

You are doing fine. Definitely get more observerships or externships.
Doing Step 3 and having a good score is also helpful.
Your YOG might not favor you too much but being a GC Holder levels those chances.

Take a look at this thread Matched IMGs thread 2015

Best wishes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shaliniabhi (03-31-2015)
 
  #4  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 34
Threads: 7
Thanked 57 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOMSCU View Post
I think u have very good chance near to 85% inshulla
All the best , try to increase USCE or if u r interested more in universsty program . Do research
Thanks. Trying to increase USCE but it is so difficult to get observerships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 34
Threads: 7
Thanked 57 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd10 View Post
You are doing fine. Definitely get more observerships or externships.
Doing Step 3 and having a good score is also helpful.
Your YOG might not favor you too much but being a GC Holder levels those chances.

Take a look at this thread Matched IMGs thread 2015

Best wishes
Thanks. I might do Step 3 if i dont get much USCE opprtunities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaliniabhi View Post
Hi,
Congrats to everyone who have matched this year.
These are my credentials
Step 1-241
CK-259
CS-Awaiting results
YOG-2010
USCE-1 month observership in a private clinic
GC holder

Planning to apply FM/IM/Peds. What are my chances? What should i do to increase my chances. I am trying to get more observerships.
All suggestions are welcomed. Thank you in advance
good score chances are bright good luck yog more than five red flag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaiyaji View Post
good score chances are bright good luck yog more than five red flag
Since she'll be applying this year won't she be under theb5 year cut off?? I'm asking cos I'm also applying this year and my yog is 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-31-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 60
Threads: 6
Thanked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 42
Send a message via Skype™ to can2us
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post
Since she'll be applying this year won't she be under theb5 year cut off?? I'm asking cos I'm also applying this year and my yog is 2010.

is 6 years.

YOG as was told to me by 3 different PD is from the time you start residency. so is 6 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-01-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post
Since she'll be applying this year won't she be under theb5 year cut off?? I'm asking cos I'm also applying this year and my yog is 2010.
sorry 2010 is still within cutoff for 2016 match so no worry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Volkmann (04-02-2015)
  #10  
Old 04-02-2015
r0ck_s0lid's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 225
Threads: 9
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
Reputation: 94
Default

Your chances are more than very good. I have no doubt that you will match if there isn't something seriously wrong with your application. Still, you could strengthen your CV by doing some externships; I say 2-3 months would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 04-02-2015
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by can2us View Post
is 6 years.

YOG as was told to me by 3 different PD is from the time you start residency. so is 6 years.
Thanks for the response. People sa6 different things about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 04-02-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 34
Threads: 7
Thanked 57 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck_s0lid View Post
Your chances are more than very good. I have no doubt that you will match if there isn't something seriously wrong with your application. Still, you could strengthen your CV by doing some externships; I say 2-3 months would be great.
Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to look for USCE but have been unsuccessful. I have sent hundreds of emails to program directors and hospitals but have not been getting any positive replies. I even tried to look for paid observerships, but looks like most of the programs have no vacancies till Sept.

Anyone with LoRs from private clinic doctors matched this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 04-02-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 34
Threads: 7
Thanked 57 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post
Thanks for the response. People sa6 different things about this.
I was also told that it is 6 years because residency program starts in 2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 04-02-2015
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaliniabhi View Post
I was also told that it is 6 years because residency program starts in 2016
This is just one thread on the subject.
4 years or 5 years since graduation?

Since you apply in September and are attending interviews mostly in 2015, it seems fair that only 2015 is taken into account. They can't expect to judge you on what you do in the future. ie the seven months in 2016 till residency. I sure hope that is the case.

Last edited by Volkmann; 04-02-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shaliniabhi (04-02-2015)
  #15  
Old 04-10-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 7
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Hello all! You question is how important is research for residency match. Is clinical experience a better option compared to research?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 04-11-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 57
Threads: 0
Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Reputation: 46
Default

You need to be diligent and research what programs have cutoffs for YOG. If it says it on their website, you're probably wasting the $. Unless $ isn't a factor, then apply to as many as you can afford to go to the interviews

IM/FM/Peds app is very difficult. Applying to those three means different PS for each, and you need to have at least 1 LOR for each of those particular fields. They're going to be very suspect because your app should have a "IM smell or Peds smell," therefore you'll have to shift gears between your peds and IM interviews insuring your undying love for that particular specialty.

It's very hard to do that, but it can be done. The point is, apply smart and broadly.

I cannot tell you how important it is to focus on one field, specially if you have the scores to be competitive. You definitely have the scores to be competitive, now if your LOR and PS back it up, you should be able to get through the initial screening. It's then all on your how you perform during the interview.

Interviews are very tricky, you might think the program is a great fit for you, but that's not the case for them. I had a research heavy background which scared off some places (seriously I know right). Therefore somethings are out of your control and the best you can do is best yourself.

I cannot stress this point enough, "be yourself." My best interview and the place I matched out we didn't even talk medicine, we talked about mutual favorite sport where both our particular favorite teams have not been strong, but we still continued to support them.

Best of luck in the upcoming match.

PS: I heard this from a PD and I thought this was very true. Last years results were last years results. You cannot know what's competitive for this year will match with last year. They might have filled their spots going as deep as the 50th person last year, but fill only with 30th person this year, so be yourself and hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Cubandoc (04-28-2015), shaliniabhi (04-12-2015), Startfrom0 (05-29-2015)
  #17  
Old 04-12-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 34
Threads: 7
Thanked 57 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketafol View Post
You need to be diligent and research what programs have cutoffs for YOG. If it says it on their website, you're probably wasting the $. Unless $ isn't a factor, then apply to as many as you can afford to go to the interviews

IM/FM/Peds app is very difficult. Applying to those three means different PS for each, and you need to have at least 1 LOR for each of those particular fields. They're going to be very suspect because your app should have a "IM smell or Peds smell," therefore you'll have to shift gears between your peds and IM interviews insuring your undying love for that particular specialty.

It's very hard to do that, but it can be done. The point is, apply smart and broadly.

I cannot tell you how important it is to focus on one field, specially if you have the scores to be competitive. You definitely have the scores to be competitive, now if your LOR and PS back it up, you should be able to get through the initial screening. It's then all on your how you perform during the interview.

Interviews are very tricky, you might think the program is a great fit for you, but that's not the case for them. I had a research heavy background which scared off some places (seriously I know right). Therefore somethings are out of your control and the best you can do is best yourself.

I cannot stress this point enough, "be yourself." My best interview and the place I matched out we didn't even talk medicine, we talked about mutual favorite sport where both our particular favorite teams have not been strong, but we still continued to support them.

Best of luck in the upcoming match.

PS: I heard this from a PD and I thought this was very true. Last years results were last years results. You cannot know what's competitive for this year will match with last year. They might have filled their spots going as deep as the 50th person last year, but fill only with 30th person this year, so be yourself and hope for the best.
Congrats on matching! Thanks for your input. I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to attach diff PS for each speciality?
2. What do you mean by being suspicious? Will they know that i did observership in peds if I am applying for FM (Will it be asked in the application or USCE is jz according to attached LOR?)
3. Is it possible to match with just USCE in private clinics?

Looking at the USCE i have currently, i think i will only apply to FM and peds. Trying my best to get more USCE.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 04-13-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 57
Threads: 0
Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Reputation: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaliniabhi View Post
Congrats on matching! Thanks for your input. I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to attach diff PS for each speciality?
2. What do you mean by being suspicious? Will they know that i did observership in peds if I am applying for FM (Will it be asked in the application or USCE is jz according to attached LOR?)
3. Is it possible to match with just USCE in private clinics?

Looking at the USCE i have currently, i think i will only apply to FM and peds. Trying my best to get more USCE.

Thanks!
1) Yes, but don't assign the wrong PS to the wrong program. That has happened with very tragic results.

2) It will be suspicious since your app will "smell peds" IE you have peds research, you have all these LOR for peds and no FM LOR.

A FM program might deem you a "flight risk," meaning you aren't dedicated to FM and most likely to jump fields once you get a better option. Assuming you made it to the interviews, they'd most likely wonder why you don't have any FM LOR if you're lacking them.

Of course as long as you have a FM LOR and a PS that's FM centered, even with lots of peds observerships or research you should be able to convince them you're dedicated to FM (if you are).

3) I really don't know how it's viewed and can't comment on this.

Last edited by Ketafol; 04-14-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 04-24-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 40
Threads: 5
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Hi everyone!
I am an IMG, graduated in 2013.

I have finished my Step 1 (258) & Step 2 CK (261).
I have planned to take Step 2 CS in June Step 3 in Sept.
I am going to apply for 2016 residency match, for internal medicine.

I will have one month Observership in two private IM clinics simultaneously and another one month in a Specialty clinic by Sept.

I have one publication in my home country.
I also have some volunteer experiences back in my country.

I am now attending a master of science program at a top 30 US school, with research.

My problem is that I am not sure whether I should continue attending the school or stop it. The school fees are really costly.
please give me sincere advice to which degree attending a master of science program can improve my chances of matching...
Is it really worth for me to continue it?
(I am going to get my degree next year before the start of residency but not at the time of interview)

I am now indecisive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For 2016 match docmoumi General Topics Forum 10 07-24-2015 07:20 PM
match 2016++ alittlebitmore IMG Residency Match Forum 2 03-10-2015 08:44 AM
match 2016++ alittlebitmore IMG Residency Match Forum 0 03-09-2015 07:05 AM
IMG - Match 2016 Medical.Student IMG/FMG Forum 0 05-07-2014 05:21 PM
2016 match f.hussain IMG Residency Match Forum 22 03-24-2014 06:43 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)