requirements for J1 visa from Canada - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-13-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 28
Threads: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default requirements for J1 visa from Canada

Hi people,

this is a question for Canadians. I'm a Canadian citizen, and I would like to know whether we still need to take MCCEE to get a J1 visa from Health Canada? The official website is here, and from a 2013 thread someone said it is no longer required, but I really want to be sure.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-r...t_b-eng.php#a7

Aside from the fact that we probably won't need MCCEE for J1 visa, will having one help increasing your chances of getting a Statement of Needs?

Any Canadians who got a J1 visa, I would like to learn experience from you. Does the website provide a comprehensive list of mandatory documents, or there are some more documents you have to prepare?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 05-14-2015
MishkaMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 431
Threads: 11
Thanked 331 Times in 143 Posts
Reputation: 341
Canada

I had the same questions. And i called them....I asked the lady nicely if we still require to take the exam....and then....She yelled at me Saying what you didn't read the website??? And i said yeah i did, but you know just to make sure that i got everything correct. And I asked here nicely "please don't yell at me". She said if i thats all i want and gang up on me

So yeah.... But bottom line....I guess we don't need it anymore

But you should call them just to make sure See what they say
__________________
2015 grad , Step1-[249], Step 2CK [253], Step 2 CS [PASS(1)] , Step 3 [235], MATCHED IM 2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sumashi (05-14-2015)
  #3  
Old 05-14-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 28
Threads: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

She literally yelled at you?!?! Man I'm so glad I saw your post before picking up the phone to call lol
I'm gonna make sure anyway, but at least now I'll be prepared

So according from the website, we should all fall into category B.
Is it true that as long as you go for those fields of training for which there are no limits on the number of Statements of Need that can be issued (for example in my case, I want to go for OBGYN), you won't have a problem getting a Statements of Need?

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishkaMD View Post
I had the same questions. And i called them....I asked the lady nicely if we still require to take the exam....and then....She yelled at me Saying what you didn't read the website??? And i said yeah i did, but you know just to make sure that i got everything correct. And I asked here nicely "please don't yell at me". She said if i thats all i want and gang up on me

So yeah.... But bottom line....I guess we don't need it anymore

But you should call them just to make sure See what they say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 05-14-2015
MishkaMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 431
Threads: 11
Thanked 331 Times in 143 Posts
Reputation: 341
Default

Yeah, Im dead serious...She DID yell!

But anyway, i think yeah...we shouldn't have any problem
My Bro just did it and there was no problem..

What you going for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumashi View Post
She literally yelled at you?!?! Man I'm so glad I saw your post before picking up the phone to call lol
I'm gonna make sure anyway, but at least now I'll be prepared

So according from the website, we should all fall into category B.
Is it true that as long as you go for those fields of training for which there are no limits on the number of Statements of Need that can be issued (for example in my case, I want to go for OBGYN), you won't have a problem getting a Statements of Need?

Thanks!!
__________________
2015 grad , Step1-[249], Step 2CK [253], Step 2 CS [PASS(1)] , Step 3 [235], MATCHED IM 2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sumashi (05-14-2015)
  #5  
Old 05-14-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 28
Threads: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Great to know there are someone who succeeded recently!!! I'm so relieved
I'm going for OBGYN. How about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishkaMD View Post
Yeah, Im dead serious...She DID yell!

But anyway, i think yeah...we shouldn't have any problem
My Bro just did it and there was no problem..

What you going for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-14-2015
MishkaMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 431
Threads: 11
Thanked 331 Times in 143 Posts
Reputation: 341
Default

Internal Medicine

If you want outline on steps to do for match go to "2016 internal medicine' thread and bottom i made an outline on how to proceed
__________________
2015 grad , Step1-[249], Step 2CK [253], Step 2 CS [PASS(1)] , Step 3 [235], MATCHED IM 2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sumashi (05-14-2015)
  #7  
Old 05-14-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 93
Threads: 21
Thanked 37 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 47
Default

I just got my statement of need from Canada, you do not need the EE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sumashi (05-14-2015)
  #8  
Old 05-14-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 28
Threads: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Thank you for the first hand info, very appreciated!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsabek View Post
I just got my statement of need from Canada, you do not need the EE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-31-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 8
Threads: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

You don't need the EE. But make sure you apply ASAP for the statement of need once you find out where you've matched. It takes a few weeks to process but I submitted my information on match day and I received my Statement of Need quickly and was able to get my J1 processed.
The website provides a list of documents to be submitted, which are emailed to the email address they provide.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sumashi (05-31-2015)
  #10  
Old 06-01-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 83
Threads: 13
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

how long does it take?

I am planning to go for H1B but it was not filed yet because i am waiting for the license, but in case it won't work out well I need to apply for j1, do i still have time ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns905 View Post
You don't need the EE. But make sure you apply ASAP for the statement of need once you find out where you've matched. It takes a few weeks to process but I submitted my information on match day and I received my Statement of Need quickly and was able to get my J1 processed.
The website provides a list of documents to be submitted, which are emailed to the email address they provide.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 06-04-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 28
Threads: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LU DA View Post
how long does it take?

I am planning to go for H1B but it was not filed yet because i am waiting for the license, but in case it won't work out well I need to apply for j1, do i still have time ?
It depends how many ppl are waiting in line. Maybe you can write to Health Canada and ask?

Here is another question for J1 visa.
After getting a J1 visa from ECFMG and finished your residency, can you do a fellowship with the same visa?
I heard they'll give you a seven year period. In that case, I suppose you don't need to reapply for another statement of need from Health Canada, and can go on training for fellowship, as long as you finish residency+fellowship within seven years?
The statement of need for subspecialty are so scarce each year....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Application requirements Nixy USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 2 02-11-2014 03:34 PM
Observership Requirements Sabina Manandhar USCE & Clinical Rotations 3 09-06-2013 07:05 AM
Applying for CS visa from Canada ? aknz IMG Visa Issues 4 02-15-2013 08:59 AM
USCE Visa requirements and application med_edu IMG Visa Issues 0 10-12-2012 08:56 AM
Requirements for the Match? dr.vnac IMG Residency Match Forum 3 05-05-2010 11:20 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)