Choosing specialty - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-05-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Smile Choosing specialty

Hi guys,
Iīm a very old (2002) IMG from Brazil, with no specialty training, pursuing residency in the US, thinking about specialty choice. As a matter of fact, I am extremely flexible when it comes to that, never really have been especially passionate about any specialty, the only ones discarded are Family Medicine, Pediatrics and Internal medicine, I have worked many years as a family physician and would not be willing to go back in that path. What I need the most is flexible hours, possibility of moving within the US and preferably a good pay, but I would totally be willing to have less pay for more flexible hours and jobs where I can get weeks off easier, especially if I could work as an independent contractor (supposing this kind of job existis in the US). I though of anestesiology, but I am open to suggestions. Anyone has toughs in this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 11-05-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 32
Threads: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default

Personally, I think your credentials - old IMG, in need of visa, no specialty training (although you did say that you worked as a family physician??), and I don't even know your Step scores etc. - will weigh heavily against you in the process of applying to the US.

Anesthesiology has NOTHING to do with flexibility! It's tough, extenuating, hospital-based, with lots of shifts and a very high risk of malpractice suits. You'd need a lot of dedication for it. From your description, it sounds to me that Anesthesiology would not be a good choice at all, especially given your lack of passion for any special field.
Besides, it is just as tough to get into as an IMG.

Your best shot, given you have very good scores, USCE and LORs, would still be Family Medicine...

P.S.: if you have no special dedication to a specialty, that will eventually show through. So you need to...build up one, if you want to apply anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
loulafg (11-06-2015), skeleton (11-05-2015)
  #3  
Old 11-06-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenuSN View Post
Personally, I think your credentials - old IMG, in need of visa, no specialty training (although you did say that you worked as a family physician??), and I don't even know your Step scores etc. - will weigh heavily against you in the process of applying to the US.

Anesthesiology has NOTHING to do with flexibility! It's tough, extenuating, hospital-based, with lots of shifts and a very high risk of malpractice suits. You'd need a lot of dedication for it. From your description, it sounds to me that Anesthesiology would not be a good choice at all, especially given your lack of passion for any special field.
Besides, it is just as tough to get into as an IMG.

Your best shot, given you have very good scores, USCE and LORs, would still be Family Medicine...

P.S.: if you have no special dedication to a specialty, that will eventually show through. So you need to...build up one, if you want to apply anywhere.
Cool man, your thoughts really helped me a lot. As for experience as a family physician, I had 2 years of internship and 5 years of infield training, not a residency, with fewer hours (40 hs week as opposed to 60 hs week of the residency around here, Brazil), and that is why I said no specialty training, but now I see how this is confusing when put that way. Itīs just that our system is different from the US.

Just to clarify, having no passion by no means is the same as not having special dedication. I work real hard, believe me, lack of dedication is far from something I worry about, and not a single person I have worked with would say I donīt work hard, I am not punctual, or I get behind in any sort of obligation. Itīs just that a passion you basically either have or donīt have. And the fact that I donīt have should by no means hold me back, itīs all about going for it and working hard, in the end of the day.

All this said, the truth is I have a good situation around here, I just want something better, and going to the US might be it. But, in no way, shape or form, I would be willing to go for something that, in the end of the road, is no better then the place I am right now. I am all for the whole adventure, I understand that the process will take me some 7 or 8 years, but I want to reach a goal, a new place, something better. It has to be like that, otherwise there is no point.

I havenīt taken the steps yet, but yeah, I know that if my score is anything but stellar, Iīm history. Still, I am willing to put 2 years of hard study in that, nothing to lose doing that, and surely I will gain a lot in the process even if I never get the chance to go to the US.

But, back to the drawing board, back here in Brazil there is a lot of Anesthesiology teams, where a group takes control of all anesthesia in a hospital, and they do all the relationship with the surgeons and the hospital, but they hire contractors (around here itīs actually the very same word used for construction contractors, but this might just be a lousy translation) to eventually fill in there gaps and just do sporadic jobs. I have no idea if anything like that exists in the US, but this is sort of what I am looking for. A situation where you can choose less hours and less pay or more hours and more pay. I meant no disrespect for the specialty, and in no way was I implying that anesthesiologists are slackers or anything like that, if that was what you got from it. If you think I can find anything like that in any other specialty, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for putting your time in reading and replying my question, it sure means a lot to me to have guidance in all this darkness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 11-06-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 32
Threads: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulafg View Post
But, back to the drawing board, back here in Brazil there is a lot of Anesthesiology teams, where a group takes control of all anesthesia in a hospital, and they do all the relationship with the surgeons and the hospital, but they hire contractors (around here itīs actually the very same word used for construction contractors, but this might just be a lousy translation) to eventually fill in there gaps and just do sporadic jobs. I have no idea if anything like that exists in the US, but this is sort of what I am looking for. A situation where you can choose less hours and less pay or more hours and more pay. I meant no disrespect for the specialty, and in no way was I implying that anesthesiologists are slackers or anything like that, if that was what you got from it. If you think I can find anything like that in any other specialty, I am open to suggestions.
I have never heard of that possibility in the US system, but someone more knowledgeable than I am might clarify this for you.
I never implied that anesth are slackers. I was merely describing the specialty to make a better comparison. It's just one of those specialties where you need a lot of passion to make it.

The only other option you might consider is Psychiatry. But you need to have a calling for that.
Maybe you should think of FM in terms of rural/preventive medicine, with a quieter, but still fulfilling, lifestyle.
Most other specialties are not taking IMGs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 11-06-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenuSN View Post
I have never heard of that possibility in the US system, but someone more knowledgeable than I am might clarify this for you.
I never implied that anesth are slackers. I was merely describing the specialty to make a better comparison. It's just one of those specialties where you need a lot of passion to make it.

The only other option you might consider is Psychiatry. But you need to have a calling for that.
Maybe you should think of FM in terms of rural/preventive medicine, with a quieter, but still fulfilling, lifestyle.
Most other specialties are not taking IMGs.
I expressed myself poorly, I meant that you might have had the impression that I was saying anesthesiologists are slackers, which I was not.

Honestly, I appreciate the respect and admiration you have for people that have a calling, a gift, a passion or whatever, for this or that work. Iīm deeply sad to say, but it just plain does not work like that for me. Iīm the kind of guy that does what has to be done, period. If I want something, I work my ass off and I do it. This is life to me, as sad as it might sound. If I had to wait for a calling in any area, I would be nothing, still waiting, unemployed. But again, this is just me. I wish I had a cool calling, gift or passion, really do, I honestly admire that, and donīt just think this is some kind of Steve Jobs mambo jambo, I just had to face at some point in my life the fact that I am not like that. And by no means I am willing to penalize myself for that anymore than the penalty this reality itself is, restricting myself unnecessarily in choice of job. Psychiatry is, by the way, a very good idea. Iīm gonna sleep on that though. I can see myself on the area, and it sure has a lot to do with my background, professional and personal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 11-06-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 32
Threads: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default

Take into consideration Emergency Medicine. You have 13 years since graduation, you should veer towards some similar specialty like the one you practice home.

Last edited by VenuSN; 11-06-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
loulafg (11-06-2015)
  #7  
Old 11-06-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 57
Threads: 0
Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Reputation: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenuSN View Post
I have never heard of that possibility in the US system, but someone more knowledgeable than I am might clarify this for you.
I never implied that anesth are slackers. I was merely describing the specialty to make a better comparison. It's just one of those specialties where you need a lot of passion to make it.

The only other option you might consider is Psychiatry. But you need to have a calling for that.
Maybe you should think of FM in terms of rural/preventive medicine, with a quieter, but still fulfilling, lifestyle.
Most other specialties are not taking IMGs.

Yes that's called Locum Tenens. Those jobs are very flexible, but less pay. EVERY field has that. Your scores would dedicate what field you go into. Being an old grad AND not having anesthesiology experience would heavily weigh against you in anesthesia. If you completeled an anesthesia experience in a foreign country, then you'd have a big leg up. Anesthesia generally loves prior trained grads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
loulafg (11-06-2015)
  #8  
Old 11-06-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketafol View Post
Yes that's called Locum Tenens. Those jobs are very flexible, but less pay. EVERY field has that. Your scores would dedicate what field you go into. Being an old grad AND not having anesthesiology experience would heavily weigh against you in anesthesia. If you completeled an anesthesia experience in a foreign country, then you'd have a big leg up. Anesthesia generally loves prior trained grads.
Thanks a lot, dude, thatīs what I needed to know. So, basically, all I have to do is study a lot and try my best at the tests, only after that choose a specialty, acording to my scores, but whatever specialty I could keep cool and thereīs a big chance of finding a job that suits my demands. Iīm reliefed to know that, now I can in fact think about more IMG friendly specialties (Psychiatry, Pathology).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
choosing specialty mohdss IMG Residency Match Forum 1 08-02-2013 01:10 AM
Specialty, subspecialty selection and combined specialty chulady IMG Residency Match Forum 4 07-05-2013 01:42 PM
FREIDA (Specialty vs Combined Specialty vs Subspecialty) ruijunsu IMG Residency Match Forum 1 08-31-2012 05:52 PM
Need help with choosing Books! Doc4Step1 USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 06-13-2012 12:03 PM
Choosing UWSA and NBME firstaid150 USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 11-09-2011 05:24 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)