What to do now? didn't match Help please - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 11
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default What to do now? didn't match Help please

Hello
I am a img from Dominican Republic. Didn't receive a single iv this year. This is my 2nd year applying for residency in the US. The first time I applied was in 2014 for the 2015 match in late october, because I dind't have the CS results by september (applied to IM, as I was told it was easier to get in because of my low step 1 score) and got 1 iv. In 2015 I applied for the 2nd time to IM, rads and gen. surgery (I know, is crazy to have applied to rads and gen. surgery) but I wanted to give it a try, but didnt receive any iv's, not even from IM. I applied to IMG friendly programs only.

It have always been my dream to do my residency in the US, but I now think its impossible. Do you think I have any chances of ob/gyn or pathology residency? Should I give up my dream of going to the US?

My stats:
YOG: 2010
Step 1: 206
CK: 225
CS: pass

All 1st time. Also had 1 month of usce

Thank you all in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 02-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 44
Threads: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default

Try to work on your CV by doing more US based clinical rotations. You make contacts that way and can use those contacts for recommendations etc. Take step 3 and score highly and gain some research experience with publications if possible. these are all ways in which you can improve your application. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jcdlrv (02-11-2016)
  #3  
Old 02-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 11
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbogs View Post
Try to work on your CV by doing more US based clinical rotations. You make contacts that way and can use those contacts for recommendations etc. Take step 3 and score highly and gain some research experience with publications if possible. these are all ways in which you can improve your application. Good luck

Thank you for the quick response, that's what Ive been told to do, and I tried to do it last year, but being outside the US makes it difficult to get research experience or an observership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 02-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 15
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

If you failed to find any U.S. clinical experience, stop trying to apply because your package (especially your scores) makes you impossible to match

Even if you could find U.S. clinical experience, your chances are still very small and you need to rely much on your luck of making good connections during your rotations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdlrv View Post
Thank you for the quick response, that's what Ive been told to do, and I tried to do it last year, but being outside the US makes it difficult to get research experience or an observership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 11
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszzeta View Post
If you failed to find any U.S. clinical experience, stop trying to apply because your package (especially your scores) makes you impossible to match

Even if you could find U.S. clinical experience, your chances are still very small and you need to rely much on your luck of making good connections during your rotations.
I have considered that possibility, but is kind of hard to just let go all the effort in money and time. I know that programs have score filters, and they just don't even see your application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-11-2016
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

I don't think you have to give up. On the other usmle forum, there is a guy who prematched this year with attempts and ultimately, low scores- many attempts BTW. He had to his advantage being Hispanic. Some programs, specifically those in NYC, want Spanish. Observerships are only good for the letter of recommendation you can get. Otherwise, keep active in your country. It sucks, because this was your last year within the 5 year filter, but don't despair, try your luck again next year. Apply broadly and consider being specific, don't waste money on general surgery. Interested in psych or peds?
__________________
All women are artists and makeup's our muse. XO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jcdlrv (02-11-2016)
  #7  
Old 02-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 11
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
I don't think you have to give up. On the other usmle forum, there is a guy who prematched this year with attempts and ultimately, low scores- many attempts BTW. He had to his advantage being Hispanic. Some programs, specifically those in NYC, want Spanish. Observerships are only good for the letter of recommendation you can get. Otherwise, keep active in your country. It sucks, because this was your last year within the 5 year filter, but don't despair, try your luck again next year. Apply broadly and consider being specific, don't waste money on general surgery. Interested in psych or peds?
Thank you. My plans are to get into residency in my country (rads). Sadly its not the same, salaries and education during residency sucks. Im also thinking of taking step 3. Im more inclined to procedural specialties, but because of the low scores that dream is gone. Im more inclined to pediátrics. I applied mostly to northeast programs, 54 IM, 10 gen. Surg., 34 rads. I only applied to IM because I was applying to rads. Another specialty that I consider is pathology

Last edited by jcdlrv; 02-11-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-11-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 114
Threads: 0
Thanked 63 Times in 50 Posts
Reputation: 73
Default

IM is VERY competitive. Who told you it wasn't? That person did you no favors. Your step scores are under average. In 2014, the average for a US grad was 231 and for an "independent applicant (DO+USIMG+IMG) was a 229.


You also didn't apply to a lot of programs for IM. 54 is really low. I applied to 134, and I'm a US citizen w/ a 225 step 1 and a 245 step 2. All my electives were done in the US and all my LORs were from US docs.

Listen, you don't have to give up. You'll need to find a way to get some clinical experience here, though (or apply to IM + FM next cycle). You'd have a decent chance at getting FM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jcdlrv (02-12-2016)
  #9  
Old 02-12-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 15
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

FM is actually EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get into for those who are non-citizen, non-English as mother language and with no connections.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStep View Post
IM is VERY competitive. Who told you it wasn't? That person did you no favors. Your step scores are under average. In 2014, the average for a US grad was 231 and for an "independent applicant (DO+USIMG+IMG) was a 229.


You also didn't apply to a lot of programs for IM. 54 is really low. I applied to 134, and I'm a US citizen w/ a 225 step 1 and a 245 step 2. All my electives were done in the US and all my LORs were from US docs.

Listen, you don't have to give up. You'll need to find a way to get some clinical experience here, though (or apply to IM + FM next cycle). You'd have a decent chance at getting FM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-12-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 11
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszzeta View Post
FM is actually EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get into for those who are non-citizen, non-English as mother language and with no connections.
I think that at this time anything will be difficult, but not imposible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 02-12-2016
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

I agree that FM is very competitive- with those scores, lack of USCE and no citizenship, it's more difficult to get into than IM, easier otherwise. What I think you should do is apply to low-tier IM programs for next match and if you have more money add on some of the IMG friendly middle-tier. Definitely budget to spend to apply to 100+ programs, 54 is a really small number. If you're starting rads, that experience won't be valuable. Programs want to know you're committed to the field.

On all my interviews, no one really cared about the experience whether it was local or in a foreign country. But they do want to know that you've been doing something valuable. For IM, rads residency isn't valuable.
__________________
All women are artists and makeup's our muse. XO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jcdlrv (02-12-2016)
  #12  
Old 02-24-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 58
Threads: 3
Thanked 50 Times in 24 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

I would also suggest passing Step 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
jcdlrv (02-24-2016)
  #13  
Old 02-26-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 15
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
I agree that FM is very competitive- with those scores, lack of USCE and no citizenship, it's more difficult to get into than IM, easier otherwise. What I think you should do is apply to low-tier IM programs for next match and if you have more money add on some of the IMG friendly middle-tier. Definitely budget to spend to apply to 100+ programs, 54 is a really small number. If you're starting rads, that experience won't be valuable. Programs want to know you're committed to the field.

On all my interviews, no one really cared about the experience whether it was local or in a foreign country. But they do want to know that you've been doing something valuable. For IM, rads residency isn't valuable.

can u tell me what are the questions asked about experience/residency in home country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Didn't Match? Ask a current PD what to do next! Residents Medical IMG/FMG Forum 0 03-26-2015 04:24 PM
Didn't Match? Ask a current PD what to do next Residents Medical IMG Residency Match Forum 0 03-26-2015 04:22 PM
Didn't Match? It's not too late! Residents Medical IMG/FMG Forum 0 03-20-2015 10:30 AM
didn't match, old img:( iron IMG Residency Match Forum 2 03-17-2013 06:34 PM
I didn't match this year Abdi IMG Residency Match Forum 8 03-23-2012 10:55 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)