Radiology for IMGs? Any success stories? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 48
Threads: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
First Aid Bag Radiology for IMGs? Any success stories?

When in med school I was told that radiology was impossibly hard to get in the US for IMGs. But in the last few years Ive read that it is not as competitive as it used to be (Doom in job market I hear). But there are barely any discussion groups on this forum about Radiology IMG match 2016/2015.

I have liked rads since my first rads rotation - but I never considered that it could be possible until now. FYI - Im not in for the money, but I think socially and intellectually solving puzzles it fits me. Though lifestyle def helps. It will give hope to someone like me - average student, non US IMG.
If rads is possible I will start working towards getting radiology electives, start aiming for 250+ scores, try to get research in radio, etc.

Otherwise I would settle for a clinical branch like FM or Peds and work towards their electives and research.

So pleeeaaassee pour in some success stories if you are an IMG and have matched into Radiology or you know someone who did.
Also please don't tell me that anything is possible (no offence) - I know luck plays a big chance in all this. But at this starting point - I would appreciate if tell me what should I do to get a radiology residency in the US if it's possible.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 03-06-2016
un91's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 32
Threads: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

i want to know the same thing! anyone here who can update us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-06-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 48
Threads: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Help

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 03-06-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 114
Threads: 0
Thanked 63 Times in 50 Posts
Reputation: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyboo View Post
When in med school I was told that radiology was impossibly hard to get in the US for IMGs. But in the last few years Ive read that it is not as competitive as it used to be (Doom in job market I hear). But there are barely any discussion groups on this forum about Radiology IMG match 2016/2015.

I have liked rads since my first rads rotation - but I never considered that it could be possible until now. FYI - Im not in for the money, but I think socially and intellectually solving puzzles it fits me. Though lifestyle def helps. It will give hope to someone like me - average student, non US IMG.
If rads is possible I will start working towards getting radiology electives, start aiming for 250+ scores, try to get research in radio, etc.

Otherwise I would settle for a clinical branch like FM or Peds and work towards their electives and research.

So pleeeaaassee pour in some success stories if you are an IMG and have matched into Radiology or you know someone who did.
Also please don't tell me that anything is possible (no offence) - I know luck plays a big chance in all this. But at this starting point - I would appreciate if tell me what should I do to get a radiology residency in the US if it's possible.

Thank you!
Not me, but a classmate of mine (USIMG). Only got matched into prelim gen surg, but ended up SOAPing into a diagnostic radiology position for his PGY-2 year. Sorry, I don't have any specifics as to his scores or anything, but that's a pretty solid success story. I think that, if you do crush your boards like you plan on doing, rads will not be out of reach. Even if you don't do that well, still apply, because there's always a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
happyboo (03-07-2016)
  #5  
Old 03-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 48
Threads: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Anyone matched into Rads this year ??!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 15
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Yes. Many did. Radiology is not hard....A slightly harder than IM, that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-15-2016
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 301
Threads: 5
Thanked 228 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordman View Post
Yes. Many did. Radiology is not hard....A slightly harder than IM, that's it.
Um your kidding me right?
If you look at 2015 match data, just 27 FMGs (US and non US IMGs) matched into radiology diagnostic (of 133 positions) while about 2763 FMGs matched in IM (of 6770 positions).
I would say thats heck of a lot harder than only 'slightly'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 15
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrp View Post
Um your kidding me right?
If you look at 2015 match data, just 27 FMGs (US and non US IMGs) matched into radiology diagnostic (of 133 positions) while about 2763 FMGs matched in IM (of 6770 positions).
I would say thats heck of a lot harder than only 'slightly'.
Dude. You don't know what you are talking about. Check diagnostic radiology pgy-2, not pgy-1. Over 150 positions last year did not even fill! This year, there are over 30 positions did not fill at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-15-2016
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 301
Threads: 5
Thanked 228 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordman View Post
Dude. You don't know what you are talking about. Check diagnostic radiology pgy-2, not pgy-1. Over 150 positions last year did not even fill! This year, there are over 30 positions did not fill at all.
Actually 137 unfilled positions in radiology diagnostic in pgy-2. And to match into these positions, you would have to complete intern hear as prelim IM or prelim surgery or transitional year all of which are crazy tough for imgs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 48
Threads: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Thanks for your input guys!
Categorical (from pgyr 1) or Advanced (pgyr2) Diagnostic Radiology is getting better for imgs?? <- was my question. And Prelim surgery is not very competitive is what I've heard.
Has anyone or anyone you know matched this year in Categorical or advanced Rads programs? please share your success stories and inspire us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 03-15-2016
Guest
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 301
Threads: 5
Thanked 228 Times in 127 Posts
Reputation: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyboo View Post
Thanks for your input guys!
Categorical (from pgyr 1) or Advanced (pgyr2) Diagnostic Radiology is getting better for imgs?? <- was my question. And Prelim surgery is not very competitive is what I've heard.
Has anyone or anyone you know matched this year in Categorical or advanced Rads programs? please share your success stories and inspire us
Your are correct, prelim surgery is relatively easier to get into. but you would have to apply and match into for pgy-1 prelim and pgy-2 radiology simultaneously or apply for pgy-2 during the prelim year.
Again, its not impossible but its definitely not easy. I know only one guy who matched to advanced radiology at community program after prelim surgery which scores in 260s, 2 electives in ped rads and 1 year research in rads. With stellar scores, research, electives and speciality specific lors, its possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
happyboo (03-16-2016)
  #12  
Old 03-16-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

would also be interested in anyone's personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 1 Week Ago
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 30
Threads: 2
Thanked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestar View Post
would also be interested in anyone's personal experience.
my friend is a US IMG, he got 230s step 1 and step 2. He got categorical rads.

its not as competitive as it used to be. It has 1.0 ratio for applicants for spots=not as competitive as others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 1 Week Ago
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 9
Threads: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 14
Default

I applied to 12 categorical radiology programs this year. Got 1 interview and waitlisted for another. I was told my personal statement helped me land the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 1 Week Ago
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsidhu87 View Post
I applied to 12 categorical radiology programs this year. Got 1 interview and waitlisted for another. I was told my personal statement helped me land the interview.
Mind sharing your stats? Did you match?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 1 Week Ago
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 9
Threads: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafael113 View Post
Mind sharing your stats? Did you match?
I didn't match.

You can find that here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 1 Week Ago
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsidhu87 View Post
I didn't match.

You can find that here
Sorry to hear that. Any luck scrambling an IM position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 1 Week Ago
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 9
Threads: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 14
Default

Nothing in SOAP, emailed/called a few programs after SOAP...we'll see, but really just moving onto Step 3 prep and procuring more clinical experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 1 Week Ago
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 5
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsidhu87 View Post
Nothing in SOAP, emailed/called a few programs after SOAP...we'll see, but really just moving onto Step 3 prep and procuring more clinical experience.
Did you get any interviews in IM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 1 Week Ago
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 18
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Following this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RADIOLOGY RESIDENCY FOR IMGs dluyimbazi IMG Residency Match Forum 0 09-13-2015 09:51 AM
Radiology fellowships for IMGs agoyal IMG Residency Match Forum 0 06-05-2015 06:57 AM
Good Trends in Radiology for IMGs devilzheir IMG Residency Match Forum 0 06-23-2014 09:32 AM
Free Advising for IMGs: Tips for success from the USMLE to the match StepsToResidency USMLE Links & Free Ads 0 03-05-2014 06:21 PM
please, tell us old graduate success stories mahganem IMG Residency Match Forum 11 09-23-2013 06:03 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)