Chances to get matched - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 21
Threads: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default Chances to get matched

Step 1 =229, step 2 CS ( will take 2nd attempt in septmeber, currently studying for CK , CK exam in July), have 9 research papers and 4 poster presentations , has authoured 1 book on surgery, 3 months USCE ( 2 electives and 1 observership) in sugery, and 3 LORs, graduate of 2015 december, please guide, I am a lot tensed on my step 2 CS attempt)
would that effect my chances to get into IM or surgery residency , which one of the two is easier to opt for with CS attempt?

Should I apply for this year s match ? or for the next year with IM LORs if its easier to do with attempt and my scores rather than going for surgery?

If I apply next year I would have taken step 3 by then and would have 25+ research papers will be published in next 5-6 months. Please guide should I take 3 IM LORS doing rotations in IM rotations or should I go for surgery?

My research work comprises over both papers in medicine and surgery.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 04-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 73
Threads: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 48
Default

Your chances this year are very poor.

Taking your CS in September with an attempt on hand will be detrimental as your score won't come out until much later. The only interviews you will get will be via contacts that will overlook your failure.

Rearrange your testing schedule.

Take CS asap, use check4change to find a spot

Take CK by first week of september at latest it'll be out a week or 2 after applications are due but it is better than having a pending failure in CS

and your research is almost to the point of diminishing returns, unless you are seeking a physician scientist pathway.

If your research at this point is causing you to neglect your USMLE CS or CK, drop it, in the grand scheme of things, research doesn't get you into residency, great USMLE scores do.

Research is icing on the top, its not the cake, bake the cake first.
__________________
2013 / 230s / 240s / CS 1st / 1 month USCE 4 Month Obs / 10+ pubs / 3 US LoRs / 1 year research experience / USIMG / Matched
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 21
Threads: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash_md View Post
Your chances this year are very poor.

Taking your CS in September with an attempt on hand will be detrimental as your score won't come out until much later. The only interviews you will get will be via contacts that will overlook your failure.

Rearrange your testing schedule.

Take CS asap, use check4change to find a spot

Take CK by first week of september at latest it'll be out a week or 2 after applications are due but it is better than having a pending failure in CS

and your research is almost to the point of diminishing returns, unless you are seeking a physician scientist pathway.

If your research at this point is causing you to neglect your USMLE CS or CK, drop it, in the grand scheme of things, research doesn't get you into residency, great USMLE scores do.

Research is icing on the top, its not the cake, bake the cake first.
So would u recommend applying next year, bcoz I will take CS exam first and score well in it and then cs, will do some observerships internal medicine as well to be able to apply next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 04-15-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 73
Threads: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Reputation: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salons91 View Post
So would u recommend applying next year, bcoz I will take CS exam first and score well in it and then cs, will do some observerships internal medicine as well to be able to apply next year.
No I recommend applying this year as a fresh graduate.

It's April 15, best case take your CS by mid may (if you are ready) I only reviewed for a few days for CS, but I understand it is different for everyone.

Mid May to Early September is 4.5 months, plenty of time to study and get a 250+.

Apply this year
__________________
2013 / 230s / 240s / CS 1st / 1 month USCE 4 Month Obs / 10+ pubs / 3 US LoRs / 1 year research experience / USIMG / Matched
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-19-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 65
Threads: 12
Thanked 55 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 65
Default

I think you have fair chances to match into surgery (especially given the amount of prelim position in surgery in the SOAP). You have a good surgery background so that should help you to prove that you are committed to that specialty. Agree with advice above about taking CS ASAP (before mid-July is fine). Don't bother with IM experience because it will dilute your application and show that you don't know what you want. But just IMHO. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-19-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 21
Threads: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertrichosis View Post
I think you have fair chances to match into surgery (especially given the amount of prelim position in surgery in the SOAP). You have a good surgery background so that should help you to prove that you are committed to that specialty. Agree with advice above about taking CS ASAP (before mid-July is fine). Don't bother with IM experience because it will dilute your application and show that you don't know what you want. But just IMHO. Best of luck!
so u mean chances of getting prelim are more in soap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-20-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 65
Threads: 12
Thanked 55 Times in 15 Posts
Reputation: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salons91 View Post
so u mean chances of getting prelim are more in soap?
I meant that given the fact, that amount of prelim surg positions in soap is big it must be not too hard for you to find some place at least in prelim compared to IM and other specialties. As far as I get you have something to show regarding your dedication to surgery so my word is - you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
chances of getting matched aamir lakhvi IMG Residency Match Forum 0 01-01-2015 11:12 PM
chances of getting matched aamir lakhvi General Topics Forum 0 01-01-2015 11:10 PM
chances of being matched?? tenee43 IMG Residency Match Forum 0 06-06-2014 11:20 AM
chances of getting matched without CK? maheen IMG Residency Match Forum 4 09-14-2012 11:56 PM
Pre Matched Vs Matched . . silakan_isi IMG Residency Match Forum 1 06-01-2010 10:10 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)