Need help with usce - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-25-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Need help with usce

Greetings! I am an american citizen and about to enter my last year of medical school at a foreign medical school in another country (not caribbean). I want to do 2 months of elective rotations in the us this year. I have two questions.
1. How do I go about finding oppurtunities to do these rotations? Do I just email different programs? There is no formal program agreemeents between my school and any u.s. school.
2. I'm about to take both step 1 and 2 ck in the next month, will the fact that I don't finish school until november make it impossible for me to participate in the 2017 match? I understand that most of the interview season will be over with by then. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 04-25-2016
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 678
Threads: 12
Thanked 325 Times in 268 Posts
Reputation: 335
Default

You might find this thread useful. Most places offering electives to international medical students have an official program. Rarely you can arrange electives if you have connections in hospitals/medical school (though they are more useful way to seek observership)

Electives list for international medical students

It would be impossible to apply for 2017 match if you graduate in November. ECFMG credentials verification takes 2-3 months and another 3-4 weeks for ECFMG certificate to reach you once you are done with credentials verification. If you have stellar scores you may try out but it would be hard to get interviews without being ECFMG certified. Even if you do get IVs, as the whole process above takes minimum of 3 months (certainly more), you would be playing it really close as you have to be certified usually by Feb 24th 2017 to be eligible for the match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-25-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Thank you for your response.I didn't realize it took so long to certify. So in other words odds are that I'll have to figure out a way to fill out a free year before 2018 match? Any suggestions? If I were to have good scores and experience could I maybe find a way into a position after the match? Aka soap or otherwise? Thank you for responding! Th
is process is quite daunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 04-25-2016
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 678
Threads: 12
Thanked 325 Times in 268 Posts
Reputation: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchi View Post
Thank you for your response.I didn't realize it took so long to certify. So in other words odds are that I'll have to figure out a way to fill out a free year before 2018 match? Any suggestions? If I were to have good scores and experience could I maybe find a way into a position after the match? Aka soap or otherwise? Thank you for responding! Th
is process is quite daunting.
Yeah its a long process. If you are considering to apply this September without being certified, then you definitely want to have step 1 and 2 scores in hand (certainly well above the average), pass CS and obtain excellent US LoRs through electives. If you manage to do this by September, some places might consider you for interviews. But you have to make sure you are certified by Feb 2017 or you are out the match and ineligible to be placed on ROL. If you play your cards very well, you might just make it. Trying mainly for SOAP is very risky. IMGs rarely get into residency via SOAP (you have to be excruciatingly lucky).
If I were in your position, I would probaly have aimed for 2018 match. As you are still in the final year try to do as many electives/sub-internships/advanced electives (prefer the latter 2 over electives), get very good LoRs from these rotations, maybe try research/volunteer experience and build a good CV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-26-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 22
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo View Post
Yeah its a long process. If you are considering to apply this September without being certified, then you definitely want to have step 1 and 2 scores in hand (certainly well above the average), pass CS and obtain excellent US LoRs through electives. If you manage to do this by September, some places might consider you for interviews. But you have to make sure you are certified by Feb 2017 or you are out the match and ineligible to be placed on ROL. If you play your cards very well, you might just make it. Trying mainly for SOAP is very risky. IMGs rarely get into residency via SOAP (you have to be excruciatingly lucky).
If I were in your position, I would probaly have aimed for 2018 match. As you are still in the final year try to do as many electives/sub-internships/advanced electives (prefer the latter 2 over electives), get very good LoRs from these rotations, maybe try research/volunteer experience and build a good CV.
Hey Saxo
if i want to apply for 2018 match then maximum up till which month of 2017 should need to complete my step 1, 2 ck&cs ? as i am also an undergraduate and will graduate in june 2017. I am going to appear for step 1 by the next month end and also going for electives in july-august so is that cool to give step 2 cs by the september end ?
Your advise will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-26-2016
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 678
Threads: 12
Thanked 325 Times in 268 Posts
Reputation: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_03 View Post
Hey Saxo
if i want to apply for 2018 match then maximum up till which month of 2017 should need to complete my step 1, 2 ck&cs ? as i am also an undergraduate and will graduate in june 2017. I am going to appear for step 1 by the next month end and also going for electives in july-august so is that cool to give step 2 cs by the september end ?
Your advise will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
If you want to apply for 2018 match, it would be best if you could complete all the exams by June/July 2017. Yea people usually give cs after electives, and if you are not applying this year there is no point in rushing things as you have time. And if you graduate in June 2017, you need to check with your classmates how long did it take for their credentials to be verified by ecfmg. (Will u get the degree/diploma in June 2017? Or will u finish the final year then and get the diploma after a while?). Like I said above credentials verification takes time, at least 2 months. (My medical school participates in ecfmg web portal for credentials verification. I sent my credentials in the first week of Feb and my credentials are still not verified, so you get the idea). Once ur credentials are verified and u pass the steps, it will take 3-4 weeks toget ecfmg certificate. You should prepare a timeline and aim to get the ecfmg certificate by september 2017 when u apply to increase ur interview chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sam_03 (04-27-2016)
  #7  
Old 04-26-2016
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 678
Threads: 12
Thanked 325 Times in 268 Posts
Reputation: 335
Default

This could be helpful

Stepwise guide for ECMFG certification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-27-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 22
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo View Post
If you want to apply for 2018 match, it would be best if you could complete all the exams by June/July 2017. Yea people usually give cs after electives, and if you are not applying this year there is no point in rushing things as you have time. And if you graduate in June 2017, you need to check with your classmates how long did it take for their credentials to be verified by ecfmg. (Will u get the degree/diploma in June 2017? Or will u finish the final year then and get the diploma after a while?). Like I said above credentials verification takes time, at least 2 months. (My medical school participates in ecfmg web portal for credentials verification. I sent my credentials in the first week of Feb and my credentials are still not verified, so you get the idea). Once ur credentials are verified and u pass the steps, it will take 3-4 weeks toget ecfmg certificate. You should prepare a timeline and aim to get the ecfmg certificate by september 2017 when u apply to increase ur interview chances.
Thank you saxo for information. I get my answers.
Good Luck for the match 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-27-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 22
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo View Post
If you want to apply for 2018 match, it would be best if you could complete all the exams by June/July 2017. Yea people usually give cs after electives, and if you are not applying this year there is no point in rushing things as you have time. And if you graduate in June 2017, you need to check with your classmates how long did it take for their credentials to be verified by ecfmg. (Will u get the degree/diploma in June 2017? Or will u finish the final year then and get the diploma after a while?). Like I said above credentials verification takes time, at least 2 months. (My medical school participates in ecfmg web portal for credentials verification. I sent my credentials in the first week of Feb and my credentials are still not verified, so you get the idea). Once ur credentials are verified and u pass the steps, it will take 3-4 weeks toget ecfmg certificate. You should prepare a timeline and aim to get the ecfmg certificate by september 2017 when u apply to increase ur interview chances.
But can we submit our credential verification without submitting step2 ck score ? As i am planning to give step2 ck by august 2017 and yes i will get my degree in june last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-27-2016
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 678
Threads: 12
Thanked 325 Times in 268 Posts
Reputation: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_03 View Post
But can we submit our credential verification without submitting step2 ck score ? As i am planning to give step2 ck by august 2017 and yes i will get my degree in june last week.
Yes. As its mentioned in the above thread about the process, exam application and credentials verification are two separate things. once u get the degree u can submit it for credentials verification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sam_03 (04-27-2016)



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USCE Aimmle16 General Topics Forum 6 03-01-2016 07:29 AM
USCE usmle.2016 USCE & Clinical Rotations 3 11-30-2014 06:05 AM
Usce in cv Bable IMG Residency Match Forum 2 10-20-2014 10:11 AM
USCE shuts17 IMG Residency Match Forum 4 01-05-2014 07:42 AM
CS without USCE tanujasalim USCE & Clinical Rotations 0 02-08-2012 06:55 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)