To postpone match or not?
So I am currently in a confusing situation and would appreciate any input. I am currently a MS3 from SGU and am finishing my last core rotation in surgery. I want to apply to either general surgery or IM and am currently trying to decide what the best course of action for me would be. I have a 128 on my Step 1, 3.7 GPA and all A's in my cores (except a B in OBGYN). I am trying to figure out if it would be better for me to postpone my residency match to 2018 or to try to cram in my surgery shelf, CS and CK exams all within the next month and a half. If I end up trying to match for 2017 I will have mediocre Step 2 CK scores and LORs, but if I push match to 2018 I am confident I can score a high mark on the CK and obtain excellent LORs, plus I would do research throughout 4th year and the next year and hopefully get publications. So how bad does it really look to residency programs if you postpone match for a year (I would still be graduating on time)? Also these options are based upon my assumption that I must have the CK complete by the end of August. Is it a very bad idea for me to take the CK at the end of September and have a full month of free time to study? I appreciate any advice I can get from people who have recently gone through the match or know the process well as I have been getting very conflicting advice from my schools advisors and other people I have been talking to. Thanks!