LORs from my country! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2009
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 2
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Certificate LORs from my country!

there are confusing opinions about letters of recommendations from the country of origin
Some say that it's useless
Others say it can help

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 08-25-2009
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

YES, they are absolutely useful

People used to say that PD will never accept LORs from "aliens" and they love to see American signatures

but I learned that's not true, now that I sit with my program coordinator

The fact that you are an IMG will sure lend itself as a clear justification why you've got an overseas LOR

You know what
I well written emotional LOR from your head of department before he/she kisses you goodbye works far better than a superficial LOR written quickly by some freaking famous American doc!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-23-2010
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 535
Threads: 12
Thanked 610 Times in 247 Posts
Reputation: 588
Default

The best combination you use is 2 US LORs and 2 from your home country physicians who supervised you during your clinical training.
US LORs are important to give the PD a sort of security that you are familial with the American system, but they can never substitute those from your original supervisors who know the reality about your clinical skills, manners, personality...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shafff111 (03-03-2012), tootsie (01-11-2012)
  #4  
Old 07-02-2010
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 76
Threads: 22
Thanked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 43
Default hey

hi applicantGuide i am a 2009 graduate i got my lor's last year is it ok if i use it for this match...i preferred to take tht time as they saw me working under their supervision and n they didnt hav to think much for what to write......i am still in touch with them though.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-02-2010
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 535
Threads: 12
Thanked 610 Times in 247 Posts
Reputation: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prachu85_v View Post
hi applicantGuide i am a 2009 graduate i got my lor's last year is it ok if i use it for this match...i preferred to take tht time as they saw me working under their supervision and n they didnt hav to think much for what to write......i am still in touch with them though.......
yes you can use them, many people i know matched in 2010 with 4 + years lors.
as long as the contact info are ok then no problem, although they will not contact anybody.

goodluck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
prachu85_v (07-02-2010), shafff111 (03-03-2012), tootsie (01-11-2012)
  #6  
Old 08-18-2010
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 6
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default US experience but no LOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplicantGuide View Post
The best combination you use is 2 US LORs and 2 from your home country physicians who supervised you during your clinical training.
US LORs are important to give the PD a sort of security that you are familial with the American system, but they can never substitute those from your original supervisors who know the reality about your clinical skills, manners, personality...

Would an LOR by a US MD be equivalent to US clinical experience also? I ask because most IMGs get into clerkships/observerships/externships to get an LOR by a US MD. is this true?

I have an elective clinical clerkship in UCLA last 2007 but unfortunately have not been able to ask for LORs from my mentors there. would this experience lose credit? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-18-2010
JaJeeK's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 143
Threads: 4
Thanked 178 Times in 59 Posts
Reputation: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn888 View Post
Would an LOR by a US MD be equivalent to US clinical experience also? I ask because most IMGs get into clerkships/observerships/externships to get an LOR by a US MD. is this true?

I have an elective clinical clerkship in UCLA last 2007 but unfortunately have not been able to ask for LORs from my mentors there. would this experience lose credit? Thank you.
This is exactly what happened with me and then I was told that nobody will buy that elective unless I get the LoR and so I had to contact the people and beg them to write the LoR and they had difficulty remembering me.
Yes, you have to get the LoR otherwise the elective won't be useful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-19-2010
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 6
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default begging for LoR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaJeeK View Post
This is exactly what happened with me and then I was told that nobody will buy that elective unless I get the LoR and so I had to contact the people and beg them to write the LoR and they had difficulty remembering me.
Yes, you have to get the LoR otherwise the elective won't be useful
Thank you! but were you able to get an LoR with the begging? I understand, that an LoR is a HUGE favor. how did you coax them into writing you one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-19-2010
JaJeeK's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 143
Threads: 4
Thanked 178 Times in 59 Posts
Reputation: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn888 View Post
Thank you! but were you able to get an LoR with the begging? I understand, that an LoR is a HUGE favor. how did you coax them into writing you one?
Yes they gave me the LoR but it was difficult only because I requested at a later time. If you ask for it while you are still there, it shouldn't be that difficult and no need of hoaxing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-17-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 6
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Help me wth tht plz

I am going to get LoRS from my country ... NOW my Questions are the following:

1- Are there any certain instructions for NONE USA LoRS?

2- Are "waive or not to waive" cover sheet and these papers applying to NONE USA LoRS?

3- DO U have a FORMAT for NONE USA LoRS?

thnx a lot ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 05-17-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 4,993 Times in 1,563 Posts
Reputation: 5089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer View Post
I am going to get LoRS from my country ... NOW my Questions are the following:

1- Are there any certain instructions for NONE USA LoRS?

2- Are "waive or not to waive" cover sheet and these papers applying to NONE USA LoRS?

3- DO U have a FORMAT for NONE USA LoRS?

thnx a lot ..
There's no difference, everything that applies to US LoRs is applied to your non-US (home country) LoR.
You should get the coversheet, you can waive your rights, ...etc
For more information read here
http://www.usmle-forums.com/residenc...uidelines.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Gamer (05-17-2011), shafff111 (03-03-2012), tootsie (01-11-2012)
  #12  
Old 07-29-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 12
Threads: 4
Thanked 13 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

You are doing a great job here ! very informative post & forum in general

I have another issue,it might be a bit odd !
I'm 2007 graduate,I've been living in USA for the past 2 years,I asked for LOR from one of my surgery professors during medical school(coz he's the only one that I still have conatct with !),yet he's retaired & living in europe.he wrote me a good letter.
the question is:
-since he's retired, he wrote the letter on a regular paper,not one with an official letterhead
-the letter is new,but he's talking about my performance in medical shool clerckships before 2007,is that too old?!

I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Letters-Of-Recommendations

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestions on LORs Neutrophil IMG Residency Match Forum 3 07-10-2012 03:51 AM
Letters of Recommendations (LoRs): List of Guidelines StepTaker IMG Residency Match Forum 23 07-17-2011 08:08 AM
Number of LORs needed and home country LoRs abans IMG Residency Match Forum 1 08-04-2009 04:17 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)