What should I consider with my USMLE scores - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-31-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 92
Threads: 41
Thanked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 56
Question What should I consider with my USMLE scores

Hi everyone,

Right now I am torn in pieces!

All my life I have wanted general surgery but I am afraid I won't be considered for interviews..

Which residency should I consider applying to?


or better yet, which Residency might consider me for an interview?


  • I am a US-IMG currently on my last year of Med School.
  • Step 1 207/86
  • Step 2 CK 246/84
  • Both passed on First Attempts
  • I will be taking Step 2 CS on August 15.
  • I have USCE of 3 months
  • I have 3 LOR's (US Hospitals)
    1. Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon (Board-Certified, FAAP-FAAOS)
    2. Chief Surgeon of Cardiovascular Surgery (Board Certified, PhD, FACS)
    3. Internal Medicine Program Director (Board-Certified, FACP)

Last edited by meanmr.mustard; 07-31-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 07-31-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,053 Times in 1,567 Posts
Reputation: 5149
Default

General surgery is extremely difficult with your step 1 score. Therefore, I suggest you gather two more IM LoRs and apply to at least 150 IM programs.

You can still apply to general surgery just so to see if you get any interviews.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
meanmr.mustard (07-31-2012)
  #3  
Old 07-31-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 92
Threads: 41
Thanked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
General surgery is extremely difficult with your step 1 score. Therefore, I suggest you gather two more IM LoRs and apply to at least 150 IM programs.

You can still apply to general surgery just so to see if you get any interviews.

-
So I should seriously consider Internal Medicine rather than Surgery..? (I have always like IM as well, but I do regret not studying as much for Step 1 as I did for Step 2 CK)

Would Program Directors know if I apply to the same hospital but different programs?

For example: If I apply to both Surgery and Internal Medicine at 'University of Florida'

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 07-31-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,053 Times in 1,567 Posts
Reputation: 5149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmr.mustard View Post
Would Program Directors know if I apply to the same hospital but different programs?
Please read here
Two Specialties at same Hospital!

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
meanmr.mustard (07-31-2012)
  #5  
Old 07-31-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmr.mustard View Post
So I should seriously consider Internal Medicine rather than Surgery..? (I have always like IM as well, but I do regret not studying as much for Step 1 as I did for Step 2 CK)

Would Program Directors know if I apply to the same hospital but different programs?

For example: If I apply to both Surgery and Internal Medicine at 'University of Florida'

Thanks.

you can still follow surgery but will have to sacrifice a year if your really interested in surgery ....... you step 2 score is good and year full of surgery externships and usce will increase your chances alot .... find surgeons who are head of the american surgeon society or some good high post follow them for a year and with those contacts and letter you can make it to surgery atleast at community hospitals for sure ....but if you wanna go for IM and not waste a year .its upto you.....

goodluck........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
meanmr.mustard (07-31-2012)
  #6  
Old 07-31-2012
NAZIAMK's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 72
Threads: 8
Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 35
Default

Can u plz tell me, if i take CK in first week of september,n will b done with step1 n CS by then..so will my application be considered incomplete, n what are my chances to get into IM...plzzzzz reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-31-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 92
Threads: 41
Thanked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
you can still follow surgery but will have to sacrifice a year if your really interested in surgery ....... you step 2 score is good and year full of surgery externships and usce will increase your chances alot .... find surgeons who are head of the american surgeon society or some good high post follow them for a year and with those contacts and letter you can make it to surgery atleast at community hospitals for sure ....but if you wanna go for IM and not waste a year .its upto you.....

goodluck........
I am still going to apply to Surgery, but..

I am going to be adding IM programs to MyERAS selection as well.

I know you are not a Program Director, but.. Can I use IM as a backup plan or better yet, are my chances of Matching in IM good? (with the provided background in the first post)

I'm pretty scared of NOT Matching at all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 07-31-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmr.mustard View Post
I am still going to apply to Surgery, but..

I am going to be adding IM programs to MyERAS selection as well.

I know you are not a Program Director, but.. Can I use IM as a backup plan or better yet, are my chances of Matching in IM good? (with the provided background in the first post)

I'm pretty scared of NOT Matching at all!!
buddy the truth is the step1 score is going to hurt, sorry but with just 1 month of USCE in medicine and only one lor .....it going to be difficult ...in any case surgery or medicne - the only way you can cover your step score is USCE .... 1 month of medicine will not do ....... every typical candidate now days have 2 to 3 months of usce ... theres still time find some observerships ...email doctors and follow them if you get to do one or two months will increase your chances alot . need more medicine lors ... better i would suggest peds and FM as back ups ...you have a peds lor also ..... plus you will get more interviews in these than IM ....

goodluck.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
meanmr.mustard (07-31-2012)
  #9  
Old 07-31-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 92
Threads: 41
Thanked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
buddy the truth is the step1 score is going to hurt, sorry but with just 1 month of USCE in medicine and only one lor .....it going to be difficult ...in any case surgery or medicne - the only way you can cover your step score is USCE .... 1 month of medicine will not do ....... every typical candidate now days have 2 to 3 months of usce ... theres still time find some observerships ...email doctors and follow them if you get to do one or two months will increase your chances alot . need more medicine lors ... better i would suggest peds and FM as back ups ...you have a peds lor also ..... plus you will get more interviews in these than IM ....

goodluck.....
Hitman!

Thanks for replying!

I apologize if my background info's not clear, but..

I have 3 months of USCE and I just requested 2 more LoR's from US Board-Certified IM physicians (hopefully will be uploading them this week).

How do Program Directors balance Step 1 vs Step 2 CK Scores?

Is my Step 1 score that bad? Won't my Step 2 score help at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 07-31-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmr.mustard View Post
Hitman!

Thanks for replying!

I apologize if my background info's not clear, but..

I have 3 months of USCE and I just requested 2 more LoR's from US Board-Certified IM physicians (hopefully will be uploading them this week).

How do Program Directors balance Step 1 vs Step 2 CK Scores?

Is my Step 1 score that bad? Won't my Step 2 score help at all?
Yes i get it that you have 3 months of USCE but just 1 month in Medicine ... the more in medicine better ..... nice to see that you have 3 lors now this will help .i thought you had only one lor in medicine ...... plus you are a US citizen that will help alot too ...... with those lor your chances in community hospitals are good .over all you are a good applicant except your step 1 score which you can explain was due to a bad day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
meanmr.mustard (07-31-2012)



Reply

Tags
Match-Probability, Residency-Choice

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USMLE Step 1 Exam Preparation - 30 Hours of FREE Videos - Clear Concepts, Higher USMLE Scores DrNajeebLectures USMLE Links & Free Ads 8 01-27-2013 11:40 PM
219 and 211 Scores, Out of USMLE! bone303 IMG Residency Match Forum 3 06-16-2012 03:21 PM
3 Years Old USMLE Scores! magnacarta IMG Residency Match Forum 3 01-06-2012 02:32 AM
Low NBME scores and high UWSA scores! Dr_ivo USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 07-16-2011 05:18 PM
USMLE Scores khushboo USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 09-21-2010 02:13 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)