Finalize LoR before getting it! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-12-2012
tanujasalim's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 132
Threads: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 55
Question Finalize LoR before getting it!

I will be applying for Internal medicine. I am expecting to get a US LOR on September 20th. I was planning to submit my application via ERAs on September 15th.

If I finalize my Author by September 15th and submit my application, but upload my LOR only on the 20th, does the LOR get automatically uploaded? Will the programs be able to view them if they view my application in October?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never give up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 08-12-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,316
Threads: 170
Thanked 4,901 Times in 1,809 Posts
Reputation: 4954
Default

Yes. It will be available but you should not apply to a program before your LoR available in ADTS because if they happen to download your application before the LoR available they'll consider your application deficient and may filter you out.

Read this discussion here
Should I wait for LoR upload?

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tanujasalim (08-12-2012)
  #3  
Old 08-12-2012
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

it wont be automatically uploaded, apply when you have complete package, 3 LORS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tanujasalim (08-12-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 08-12-2012
tanujasalim's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 132
Threads: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 55
Default

The minimum number of LORs is three and the maximum is 4? So I can finalize the fOurth and upload that later? Or is the max and min 3?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never give up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-12-2012
iron's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 229
Threads: 43
Thanked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 61
Default

Hi everyone, even I have confusion regarding same issue, I wont get one of my lor till the end of sept, but the rest of things are ready, so I was thinking I will apply in sept 15 with whatever I have (2 lors) n later will add 1 lor at the gap of 15 days. Won't they review the new lor when we send them on later date after submitting our all other documents in sep 15?

How would we know when exactly the program will review our applications? As I have seen the programs have their dateline by end of nov/dec. to submit, doesn't that mean they will review all our docs. after particular timeline or whenever we submit? Please anyone help !:sorry:

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-12-2012
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Hi everyone, even I have confusion regarding same issue, I wont get one of my lor till the end of sept, but the rest of things are ready, so I was thinking I will apply in sept 15 with whatever I have (2 lors) n later will add 1 lor at the gap of 15 days. Won't they review the new lor when we send them on later date after submitting our all other documents in sep 15?

How would we know when exactly the program will review our applications? As I have seen the programs have their dateline by end of nov/dec. to submit, doesn't that mean they will review all our docs. after particular timeline or whenever we submit? Please anyone help !:sorry:

Thanks
yes , your on the money but if i was you i would get a 3rd letter now

what you going for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
iron (08-12-2012)
  #7  
Old 08-12-2012
tanujasalim's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 132
Threads: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 55
Question Anything else to be done?

Once you upload your LORs and MSPE via oasis, do you need to send ecfmg the originals?
And this may seem silly, but do the scanned copies need to be in color or is black and whit okay?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never give up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-12-2012
iron's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 229
Threads: 43
Thanked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
yes , your on the money but if i was you i would get a 3rd letter now

what you going for
Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-12-2012
iron's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 229
Threads: 43
Thanked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanujasalim View Post
Once you upload your LORs and MSPE via oasis, do you need to send ecfmg the originals?
And this may seem silly, but do the scanned copies need to be in color or is black and whit okay?

No u don't need to send originals to ECFMG.

well, not sure about scan but if your original documents are not black and white then go for color scan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tanujasalim (08-12-2012)
  #10  
Old 08-17-2012
iron's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 229
Threads: 43
Thanked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
yes , your on the money but if i was you i would get a 3rd letter now

what you going for
Is it good idea to wait for US LOR and then upload it by end of sept even though it means u are applying late then many other applicants when u have fulfilled rest of the requirements?
Does applying 15 days late matter? If yes or no, can anyone tell me how does it matter?

I guess there r many ppl like me who is confused regarding this issue, please senior forum staffs (sabio, step taker), give us some suggestions.:sorry::sorry:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 08-17-2012
dr.JPRizal's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 408
Threads: 5
Thanked 261 Times in 182 Posts
Reputation: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Is it good idea to wait for US LOR and then upload it by end of sept even though it means u are applying late then many other applicants when u have fulfilled rest of the requirements?
Does applying 15 days late matter? If yes or no, can anyone tell me how does it matter?

I guess there r many ppl like me who is confused regarding this issue, please senior forum staffs (sabio, step taker), give us some suggestions.:sorry::sorry:
i've been searching programs for a couple of days now and i saw some who says incomplete applications will not be entertained or reviewed. so i guess it backs up what sabio said, better be late than very early but incomplete.

i think submitting anytime this sept is not that late & wont matter much since they moved the applying date from sept1 to sept15. and also remember our application will not be truly complete until october since thats the only time eras would release our transcript to programs.

hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
iron (08-17-2012)
  #12  
Old 08-17-2012
iron's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 229
Threads: 43
Thanked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.JPRizal View Post
i've been searching programs for a couple of days now and i saw some who says incomplete applications will not be entertained or reviewed. so i guess it backs up what sabio said, better be late than very early but incomplete.

i think submitting anytime this sept is not that late & wont matter much since they moved the applying date from sept1 to sept15. and also remember our application will not be truly complete until october since thats the only time eras would release our transcript to programs.

hope this helps.
Thank u so much, even I think it is logical to make it complete if possible by sept end, but to see people here and there targeting for sept 15 as if the progams won't review our applications on later dates makes me feel nervous and scared if what I am late. Okay so releasing transcript in October means they won't review our applications before october? Also so many programs have their deadline till November, so they do accept applications till November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 08-17-2012
dr.JPRizal's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 408
Threads: 5
Thanked 261 Times in 182 Posts
Reputation: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Thank u so much, even I think it is logical to make it complete if possible by sept end, but to see people here and there targeting for sept 15 as if the progams won't review our applications on later dates makes me feel nervous and scared if what I am late. Okay so releasing transcript in October means they won't review our applications before october? Also so many programs have their deadline till November, so they do accept applications till November.
i think they would start reviewing though while waiting fr the transcript. yeah but i think november's late for us imgs. wouldnt push that long if i were you.

just think of this, by sept15 1k-2k or more applicants will click apply, do you think they would have screened all those in one setting. even if you click apply in sept15, i think theres a chance your app wud be at the back part already & will be seen couple days later. so IMO, i guess anytime this sept is still ok. THAT, if they stick to their word that they review each & all applicants in entirety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
iron (08-18-2012), shima (08-18-2012)
  #14  
Old 08-18-2012
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.JPRizal View Post
i think they would start reviewing though while waiting fr the transcript. yeah but i think november's late for us imgs. wouldnt push that long if i were you.

just think of this, by sept15 1k-2k or more applicants will click apply, do you think they would have screened all those in one setting. even if you click apply in sept15, i think theres a chance your app wud be at the back part already & will be seen couple days later. so IMO, i guess anytime this sept is still ok. THAT, if they stick to their word that they review each & all applicants in entirety.
it diffently wont be reviewed 15th-- or 16th since is SAT SUNDAY.

It start 17th. First week, is like a hastle any ways, new changes, everyone applied, in the second week the 24th and on the interviews will start rolling, and by the time it comes to you is the oct 4th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
iron (08-18-2012)
  #15  
Old 08-19-2012
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Internal Medicine and Pediatrics

you so good for Internal , just watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message






Reply

Tags
ERAS-, Letters-Of-Recommendations

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finalize LOR ? DR99 IMG Residency Match Forum 9 09-01-2013 05:06 AM
Using LWP, do we still need to finalize in ERAS? drkaruppiaharun IMG Residency Match Forum 5 08-31-2011 05:13 AM
Please help me finalize the states to apply in Haisook IMG Residency Match Forum 4 08-14-2011 06:32 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)