How many IM programs to apply for? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 137
Threads: 26
Thanked 158 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 168
Question How many IM programs to apply for?

Hi,

I am an IMG, interested in IM.

Can someone please advise me on the number of programs I should apply to. What are the average number of programs being applied to this year?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 08-25-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 63
Threads: 8
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

I think you need to provide some more info regarding your scores, YOG, Publications etc.
Otherwise you can look into program websites for the criteria. Though everyone says apply widely, it is more of wasting money and may be time. It is understandable that if you are close enough to the criteria then you may/or may not apply to it, but applying widely and blindly is not a good idea.
That's my personal opinion though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
SHICE (08-26-2012)
  #3  
Old 08-25-2012
Haisook's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 752
Threads: 124
Thanked 620 Times in 265 Posts
Reputation: 640
Default

100-200 is a safe number for non-US IMGs.
More if you're applying to multiple specialties.
__________________
I've regained my honor [99/99].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
SHICE (08-26-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 08-26-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 137
Threads: 26
Thanked 158 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 168
Default Number of programs

Thanks Wisconsin and Haisook

Wisconsin my YOG is November 2008,
Scores 241 and 238 on step 1 and 2 respectively.
1 maniscript submitted for publication.
5 months of externship, 1.5 months of observership.
Require H1b visa. Visa status H4, green card applied, labor approved.

I got the customized list from matcharesident and the number of programs I got is 134. I think that number is relatively less. Is anyone else is in a similar situation were the customize program list is less than the average number of programs being applied to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-26-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 63
Threads: 8
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHICE View Post
Thanks Wisconsin and Haisook

Wisconsin my YOG is November 2008,
Scores 241 and 238 on step 1 and 2 respectively.
1 maniscript submitted for publication.
5 months of externship, 1.5 months of observership.
Require H1b visa. Visa status H4, green card applied, labor approved.

I got the customized list from matcharesident and the number of programs I got is 134. I think that number is relatively less. Is anyone else is in a similar situation were the customize program list is less than the average number of programs being applied to?
You have excellent credentials. Actually lists provided by professional websites are not complete. If you research yourself you will find many more programs. These sites should be used more as a reference and ideally should not substitute your own research of the programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
SHICE (08-30-2012)
  #6  
Old 08-26-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 63
Threads: 8
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHICE View Post
Thanks Wisconsin and Haisook

Wisconsin my YOG is November 2008,
Scores 241 and 238 on step 1 and 2 respectively.
1 maniscript submitted for publication.
5 months of externship, 1.5 months of observership.
Require H1b visa. Visa status H4, green card applied, labor approved.

I got the customized list from matcharesident and the number of programs I got is 134. I think that number is relatively less. Is anyone else is in a similar situation were the customize program list is less than the average number of programs being applied to?
I also tried to feed in your data in matcharesident, it shows 307 IM programs. Please recheck the list. All the best. You are perfectly fine to be resident in US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
SHICE (08-30-2012)
  #7  
Old 08-30-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 137
Threads: 26
Thanked 158 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
I also tried to feed in your data in matcharesident,it shows 307 IM programs.Please recheck the list.All the best.You are perfectly fine to be resident in US.

Hi Wisconsin,

Thanks for your kind words. I have my fingers crossed and I am hoping for the best. Its a now or never situation for me.

I am not sure how you got 307 programs at MAR. I think the biggest filters in my application is that I graduated in 2008 and I require an H1b visa. Di you enter these too? Please let me know if you still get 307 patients.

I appreciate your help in looking into my situation. Thanks a lot buddy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-31-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 63
Threads: 8
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHICE View Post
Hi Wisconsin,

Thanks for your kind words. I have my fingers crossed and I am hoping for the best. Its a now or never situation for me.

I am not sure how you got 307 programs at MAR. I think the biggest filters in my application is that I graduated in 2008 and I require an H1b visa. Di you enter these too? Please let me know if you still get 307 patients.

I appreciate your help in looking into my situation. Thanks a lot buddy
I am sorry I did not feed these criteria's, but I still feel you are perfectly OK for the Match. All you need is one good interview. Prepare best for your interviews.
I am sure you have step3 score with you because for H1B that's mandatory,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
SHICE (09-05-2012)
  #9  
Old 08-31-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 138
Threads: 1
Thanked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Reputation: 91
Send a message via Skype™ to eduardod
Default H1B and IM

I checked my database and there are less than 130 IM programs that offer H1B.
Many of those programs, especially the University ones (about 40) probably don't recruit a lot of IMG's. Many, too, will not want grads. of older vintage.

Your scores and experience are quite good. Restricting yourself to programs that only offer H1B is going to narrow the possibilities quite a bit.

Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
SHICE (09-05-2012)
  #10  
Old 09-05-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 137
Threads: 26
Thanked 158 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardod View Post
I checked my database and there are less than 130 IM programs that offer H1B.
Many of those programs, especially the University ones (about 40) probably don't recruit a lot of IMG's. Many, too, will not want grads. of older vintage.

Your scores and experience are quite good. Restricting yourself to programs that only offer H1B is going to narrow the possibilities quite a bit.

Ed
Thanks for your reply and sincere advice Ed.

I am on an H4 dependant visa and my greencard has already been applied for by my husband and the labor has been approved, which is to say that in near future I will hopefully be getting a permanent residence in the US. To my understanding J1 is the non-immigrant category and it does not make sense in my situation.

I completely agree that I am restricting myself and possibly my chances at matching too, as I noticed that DC programs have high img intake but only sponsor J1. What in your opinion should be a better approach? Will i be able to do a Fellowship with a J1 visa or will I have to work in an under-served area before? That's my main concern.

Thanks in advance for your reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 09-05-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 138
Threads: 1
Thanked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Reputation: 91
Send a message via Skype™ to eduardod
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHICE View Post
Thanks for your reply and sincere advice Ed.

I am on an H4 dependant visa and my greencard has already been applied for by my husband and the labor has been approved, which is to say that in near future I will hopefully be getting a permanent residence in the US. To my understanding J1 is the non-immigrant category and it does not make sense in my situation.

I completely agree that I am restricting myself and possibly my chances at matching too, as I noticed that DC programs have high img intake but only sponsor J1. What in your opinion should be a better approach? Will i be able to do a Fellowship with a J1 visa or will I have to work in an under-served area before? That's my main concern.

Thanks in advance for your reply
Hi,

You really need to talk to your immigration lawyer about this. I talked to someone who is familiar with this area and this was their suggestion too.

Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
SHICE (09-05-2012)
  #12  
Old 09-05-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 137
Threads: 26
Thanked 158 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
I am sorry I did not feed these criteria's, but I still feel you are perfectly OK for the Match. All you need is one good interview. Prepare best for your interviews.
I am sure you have step3 score with you because for H1B that's mandatory,
Thanks Wisconsin. I am working on Step 3 as of now. I hope I get the interviews.

Thanks so much for your help and answering all my questions. Good luck to you on your residency endeavor. God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 09-05-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 137
Threads: 26
Thanked 158 Times in 46 Posts
Reputation: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardod View Post
Hi,

You really need to talk to your immigration lawyer about this. I talked to someone who is familiar with this area and this was their suggestion too.

Ed
Thanks Ed, I think at this point I will apply to IMG friendly programs with J1 visa sponsorship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
IM-Match, Residency-Choice

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Number of Programs to apply for? bacteroides IMG Residency Match Forum 34 01-21-2013 06:16 PM
How many programs to apply... nightrider IMG Residency Match Forum 12 08-20-2012 05:36 PM
Number of Programs I should Apply to?? shahzaib123456 IMG Residency Match Forum 10 08-19-2012 02:04 AM
Where should I apply (IM)? How many programs? Phrozen IMG Residency Match Forum 0 06-29-2012 10:58 PM
Need advice of when to apply to programs Androide89 IMG Residency Match Forum 3 08-08-2011 02:16 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)