How many programs to apply?? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2012
ashake3009's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 51
Threads: 5
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Wink How many programs to apply??

Hi,

I am a 2012 grad, with score 251/ 253, pass in 1 st attempt. I have 1 month elective at a university hospital, with 2 american LORs. I will be giving my step 3 in nov. Can some one tell me how many programs should i apply??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 09-11-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 274
Threads: 9
Thanked 336 Times in 126 Posts
Reputation: 346
Default

No one can tell you really how many programs you need to apply, as other than the scores and USCE, we dont know your full application. Are you a citizen or not? What else have you done? How strong are your LORs? How great is your personal statement?

Scores are great, but they arent everything. 1 month USCE isnt significant at all.

Make a good list and apply to as many as you can afford to on your list. Thats the best answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-11-2012
ashake3009's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 51
Threads: 5
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
No one can tell you really how many programs you need to apply, as other than the scores and USCE, we dont know your full application. Are you a citizen or not? What else have you done? How strong are your LORs? How great is your personal statement?

Scores are great, but they arent everything. 1 month USCE isnt significant at all.

Make a good list and apply to as many as you can afford to on your list. Thats the best answer.
Thanks a lot Lena, i have indeed made a list, i will be applying to 150+ programs... I do not know about my LORs as they have been waived. I am not a citizen and need a visa. I do have some elementary research and have a couple of oral presentations but no significant research per se.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 09-11-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 274
Threads: 9
Thanked 336 Times in 126 Posts
Reputation: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashake3009 View Post
Thanks a lot Lena, i have indeed made a list, i will be applying to 150+ programs... I do not know about my LORs as they have been waived. I am not a citizen and need a visa. I do have some elementary research and have a couple of oral presentations but no significant research per se.....
You should be fine, of course stumbling block is needing visa, and not enough USCE. Out of the 150, as long as you arent picky and only applying to MGH and Hopkins lol I think you'll get something good. Especially being a recent graduate. Dont be afraid to apply to some of the top progs too. Of course if you were a citizen and had USCE, you'd easily get like 30+ IVs out of 150, for say a specialty like IM.

If I had to break it down and was in your shoes, I'd do 25% to far-reaching, top progs. 50% to those I stand a good chance of getting, and 25% that I surpass their written criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-11-2012
ashake3009's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 51
Threads: 5
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
You should be fine, of course stumbling block is needing visa, and not enough USCE. Out of the 150, as long as you arent picky and only applying to MGH and Hopkins lol I think you'll get something good. Especially being a recent graduate. Dont be afraid to apply to some of the top progs too. Of course if you were a citizen and had USCE, you'd easily get like 30+ IVs out of 150, for say a specialty like IM.

If I had to break it down and was in your shoes, I'd do 25% to far-reaching, top progs. 50% to those I stand a good chance of getting, and 25% that I surpass their written criteria.
Hey thanks for the reply, you are way too cool!! Just to tell you, i have no delusions of grandeur and i m not even considering mgh/ John Hopkins. 80% programs i am applying to are community or univ affiliated. rest are all univs which are known to be slightly IMG friendly... i am a person who likes to play it as safe as possible... i am very well aware about the lack of usce...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-11-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 274
Threads: 9
Thanked 336 Times in 126 Posts
Reputation: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashake3009 View Post
Hey thanks for the reply, you are way too cool!! Just to tell you, i have no delusions of grandeur and i m not even considering mgh/ John Hopkins. 80% programs i am applying to are community or univ affiliated. rest are all univs which are known to be slightly IMG friendly... i am a person who likes to play it as safe as possible... i am very well aware about the lack of usce...
Thanks. If you have extra money, definitely apply to a few, you never know. A fam member just matched at MGH, and even though he's an AMG, I've no idea how he was picked, cause I know him well, and we both joked that there were thousands of other AMGs more qualified. Which shows that no one is God, and at the end of the day, He alone knows, and makes the final decision. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Number of Programs to apply for? bacteroides IMG Residency Match Forum 34 01-21-2013 06:16 PM
How many IM programs to apply for? SHICE IMG Residency Match Forum 12 09-05-2012 09:18 PM
How many programs to apply... nightrider IMG Residency Match Forum 12 08-20-2012 05:36 PM
Number of Programs I should Apply to?? shahzaib123456 IMG Residency Match Forum 10 08-19-2012 02:04 AM
Where should I apply (IM)? How many programs? Phrozen IMG Residency Match Forum 0 06-29-2012 10:58 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)