Is 88 Programs Enough for Old Grad! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2012
kenman93's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 31
Threads: 5
Thanked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 30
Listening Is 88 Programs Enough for Old Grad!

Old IMG (2000) with Step 1 237/84; CK 257/86; CS due on/after Oct 3rd; Greencard; 1 home LOR (10yr experience); 2 US LoR for observership. Made own list for IM, obviously leaving out top Univ programs and those with clear set grad cut offs (& 1 yr hands on requirements, etc). I ended up with 88 programs only! When making the list, I started with the assumption that most uni programs will not take an old IMG irrespective of scores, even if they have not specifically given a cut off grad yr! Question is, is this a 'safe' number or should I increase it by adding more University programs that do not have a specific cut off? When a program states that they PREFER less than 5 yrs since graduation, would they consider 12 yrs? Any advice, please?

Last edited by kenman93; 09-28-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 09-29-2012
dr.JPRizal's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 408
Threads: 5
Thanked 261 Times in 182 Posts
Reputation: 271
Default

doc ken, are those 88 programs only univ ones?
even if fresh grad, 260s, lots of hands-on xp, no visa needed, would still find it hard to get into a univ program if one is an IMG. these university programs are governed by politics, not just scores & credentials.

yes some consider medical practice, a way to mitigate old IMGs. but usually not in a univ program.

that is not a safe number. add more univ affiliated & comm programs instead. about 100-150 or more if you have the chips. we can't really tell if those programs would consider or not, so the only thing to do is to spend money & try applying to those.

honest opinion: IM kinda slim chance. but in FM, you have fighting chance esp w/ GC & experience plus i knew a lot of img same situation as yours who matched. but there's always exceptions, as luck is a factor too.

don't lose hope doc. i got several family friends(old Imgs) who matched, but mostly FM..
__________________
People don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of sacrifice.

JP Rizal, MD

Last edited by dr.JPRizal; 09-29-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shima (09-29-2012)
  #3  
Old 09-29-2012
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman93 View Post
Old IMG (2000) with Step 1 237/84; CK 257/86; CS due on/after Oct 3rd; Greencard; 1 home LOR (10yr experience); 2 US LoR for observership. Made own list for IM, obviously leaving out top Univ programs and those with clear set grad cut offs (& 1 yr hands on requirements, etc). I ended up with 88 programs only! When making the list, I started with the assumption that most uni programs will not take an old IMG irrespective of scores, even if they have not specifically given a cut off grad yr! Question is, is this a 'safe' number or should I increase it by adding more University programs that do not have a specific cut off? When a program states that they PREFER less than 5 yrs since graduation, would they consider 12 yrs? Any advice, please?
ull match in IM no problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kenman93 (09-30-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 09-29-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 18
Threads: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
ull match in IM no problem
The cut off year is not a hard and fast rule. I know people who have had interviews whom this rule did not apply to. I know examples myself and I can guarantee that. Obviously the chances are higher in the community hospitals.
My advice, apply to as many as you can afford but be sensible at the same time and don't waste money on top university programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kenman93 (09-30-2012)
  #5  
Old 09-29-2012
kenman93's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 31
Threads: 5
Thanked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.JPRizal View Post
doc ken, are those 88 programs only univ ones?
even if fresh grad, 260s, lots of hands-on xp, no visa needed, would still find it hard to get into a univ program if one is an IMG. these university programs are governed by politics, not just scores & credentials.

yes some consider medical practice, a way to mitigate old IMGs. but usually not in a univ program.

that is not a safe number. add more univ affiliated & comm programs instead. about 100-150 or more if you have the chips. we can't really tell if those programs would consider or not, so the only thing to do is to spend money & try applying to those.

honest opinion: IM kinda slim chance. but in FM, you have fighting chance esp w/ GC & experience plus i knew a lot of img same situation as yours who matched. but there's always exceptions, as luck is a factor too.

don't lose hope doc. i got several family friends(old Imgs) who matched, but mostly FM..
I included only one or two uni programs. As for FM, I never really liked peds and hated ob/gyn. I may have to add some FM though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-29-2012
dr.JPRizal's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 408
Threads: 5
Thanked 261 Times in 182 Posts
Reputation: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman93 View Post
I included only one or two uni programs. As for FM, I never really liked peds and hated ob/gyn. I may have to add some FM though.
i see. then that's ok but make it 100-150+ to be safe.
yeah i don't like peds & OB too. but as one forum members said, "beggars can't be picky". so i added FM in my list coz i really wanna train in US.
good luck doc.
__________________
People don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of sacrifice.

JP Rizal, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kenman93 (09-30-2012)
  #7  
Old 09-30-2012
kenman93's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 31
Threads: 5
Thanked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.JPRizal View Post
i see. then that's ok but make it 100-150+ to be safe.
yeah i don't like peds & OB too. but as one forum members said, "beggars can't be picky". so i added FM in my list coz i really wanna train in US.
good luck doc.
Thanks. Good luck too doc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-30-2012
Amphetamine's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 23
Threads: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Don't apply to less than 150 programs...and if financially you are not limited, then go for more.
Also, don't just apply to IM...be open to family medicine.
Your credentials aren't bad, but 12 years is a lot...
__________________
In the wise words of Thumper:
"If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-01-2012
Haisook's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 752
Threads: 124
Thanked 616 Times in 265 Posts
Reputation: 636
Default

I think most programs have a 5-year cutoff, and even those that have a 10 year cut-off, you are ineligible to them. So 88 is not a bad number. I'm a recent grad and I applied to 140 IM programs. What's the point in applying where you don't fit the criteria and waste your money? So, don't go with the advice "the more, the better". it's not necessarily true.

However, I hope you are sure your selections are relevant to your credentials. Did you specifically look at the graduation year cut-off?

Finally, most university programs are not IMG-friendly. So if you're going to add more programs, add community ones for a better yield.
__________________
I've regained my honor [99/99].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Amphetamine (10-04-2012), kenman93 (10-01-2012)
  #10  
Old 10-03-2012
odysseus's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 42
Threads: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default No IVs rejections still

I did my residency in my home country, step 1 2 Ck 231,254, CS pending. 3 months of observership in US, 3 Us LORS. applied to 60 programs. no reply yet. I thought because of the pending CS result but some people say that all IV spots are filled. I am so anxious please respond....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 10-03-2012
dr.JPRizal's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 408
Threads: 5
Thanked 261 Times in 182 Posts
Reputation: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
I did my residency in my home country, step 1 2 Ck 231,254, CS pending. 3 months of observership in US, 3 Us LORS. applied to 60 programs. no reply yet. I thought because of the pending CS result but some people say that all IV spots are filled. I am so anxious please respond....
no. in fact some programs have just started going over the applications. they were waiting for the mspe.
what they mean is that IV dates for october are filled, mostly by amgs & caribb imgs.
__________________
People don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of sacrifice.

JP Rizal, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 11-09-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default What is your current position now? What happened next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman93 View Post
Old IMG (2000) with Step 1 237/84; CK 257/86; CS due on/after Oct 3rd; Greencard; 1 home LOR (10yr experience); 2 US LoR for observership. Made own list for IM, obviously leaving out top Univ programs and those with clear set grad cut offs (& 1 yr hands on requirements, etc). I ended up with 88 programs only! When making the list, I started with the assumption that most uni programs will not take an old IMG irrespective of scores, even if they have not specifically given a cut off grad yr! Question is, is this a 'safe' number or should I increase it by adding more University programs that do not have a specific cut off? When a program states that they PREFER less than 5 yrs since graduation, would they consider 12 yrs? Any advice, please?
Dear kenman93,
I have just read a previous comment of yours in 2011 when you were looking for a residency position. You mentioned that you were an old IMG and looking for a position. I am now just similar to you, I have step1 and step 2 scores over 250 and >10 year IMG. My first question is have you gotten a residency position? if yes what would be your advice for me? your response is kindly appreciated. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Old-Grads

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old grad - number of Programs dr_mhm IMG Residency Match Forum 4 11-10-2014 03:00 AM
35-Yr-Old Egyptian Grad scorpion645 IMG Residency Match Forum 6 09-11-2011 10:17 AM
Old grad and failed the CK before img1978 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 12 04-28-2011 04:45 AM
Old grad ??!!!! younissmed General Topics Forum 1 08-31-2010 08:33 PM
Old grad khanar USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 07-04-2010 03:49 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)