Can Someone please answer this question?? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2013
Banned
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 751
Threads: 133
Thanked 308 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 318
Default Can Someone please answer this question??

hi guys
in the charting outcomes for the match
for each specialty
why is the average step 1 and 2 CK
scores of Independent applicants
always lower in comparison with
the American graduate applicants?
shouldnt it be the other way
please explain
thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 02-21-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by add1 View Post
hi guys
in the charting outcomes for the match
for each specialty
why is the average step 1 and 2 CK
scores of Independent applicants
always lower in comparison with
the American graduate applicants?
shouldnt it be the other way
please explain
thanks all

I dont know what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-21-2013
Banned
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 751
Threads: 133
Thanked 308 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
I dont know what you are talking about.
the average score
of matched applicants
for imgs it is always lower than the americans
like for peds Step 1 Average score of AMG
who matched 221
but 217 for independent applicants
ie imgs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 02-21-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 634
Threads: 47
Thanked 324 Times in 162 Posts
Reputation: 335
Default

Its a known fact that AMGs score averages are higher than the IMG score averages. You could opine various reasons for that.

My money is on that their medical education is oriented towards the exam right from day one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-21-2013
Banned
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 751
Threads: 133
Thanked 308 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit39 View Post
Its a known fact that AMGs score averages are higher than the IMG score averages. You could opine various reasons for that.

My money is on that their medical education is oriented towards the exam right from day one.
No i meant the scores of
people who matched
shouldnt imgs have higher scores to match
but charting outcomes
the average score of independent
applicants is lower
why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-21-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 10
Threads: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default Caveat

I think the reason is relatively simple .The average score for AMG's is higher than the score for IMG's in general.
Remember that IMG 's are mostly competing against themselves not against US AMG's .
I think your thinking is based on the misconception that IMG's need higher scores to match (which is true). However the caveat here is that its true because the competition amongst the IMG's has grown fiercer . Not because they have to compete with AMG's which isn't really the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
IM2013 (02-21-2013)
  #7  
Old 02-21-2013
dr.JPRizal's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 408
Threads: 5
Thanked 261 Times in 182 Posts
Reputation: 271
Default

it could also be that most that match are caribb or US IMGs. this group of IMGs doesn't need to have very high scores compared to other kinds of IMGs to match. they have their >12mos US electives or their political advantage (US citizenship) to get invites, ranked high & match.
__________________
People don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of sacrifice.

JP Rizal, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-21-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 45
Threads: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.JPRizal View Post
it could also be that most that match are caribb or US IMGs. this group of IMGs doesn't need to have very high scores compared to other kinds of IMGs to match. they have their >12mos US electives or their political advantage (US citizenship) to get invites, ranked high & match.
I wouldn't call it a "political advantage," but rather a practical advantage. American IMGs require much less paper work for the program than non-American IMGs thus it more practical for them to rank American IMGs higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-21-2013
dr.JPRizal's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 408
Threads: 5
Thanked 261 Times in 182 Posts
Reputation: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2.0 View Post
I wouldn't call it a "political advantage," but rather a practical advantage. American IMGs require much less paper work for the program than non-American IMGs thus it more practical for them to rank American IMGs higher.
yep, "practical" i mean.. but sometimes in corporations, administrations, faculty, board members or any house of leaders, both words are used interchangeably.
__________________
People don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of sacrifice.

JP Rizal, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
add1 (02-21-2013)
  #10  
Old 02-22-2013
Torsades42's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 97
Threads: 16
Thanked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Reputation: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by add1 View Post
the average score
of matched applicants
for imgs it is always lower than the americans
like for peds Step 1 Average score of AMG
who matched 221
but 217 for independent applicants
ie imgs
I believe this may be due to the fact that a graduate from a U.S. medical school will be competing for higher tier places than an IMG in the same specialties. For example (I'm making these numbers up to make my point), a 220 on Step 1 maybe enough to make a U.S. graduate a great candidate and match into UCSF/whatever top tier place you want to pick. A 217 maybe good enough to allow an IMG to match into a small community hospital. As far as NRMP is concerned, both are matches into IM programs. I hope I'm getting my point across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
add1 (02-22-2013)
  #11  
Old 02-22-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsades42 View Post
I believe this may be due to the fact that a graduate from a U.S. medical school will be competing for higher tier places than an IMG in the same specialties. For example (I'm making these numbers up to make my point), a 220 on Step 1 maybe enough to make a U.S. graduate a great candidate and match into UCSF/whatever top tier place you want to pick. A 217 maybe good enough to allow an IMG to match into a small community hospital. As far as NRMP is concerned, both are matches into IM programs. I hope I'm getting my point across.
What a good , I mean very good explanation. Honestly you deserve to be Doctor for being so sharp. I am serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ANSWER THIS QUESTION 3.......... i would tell you ans next day. dranant USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 08-05-2011 09:58 PM
Bad question answer? DRFP USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 6 08-25-2010 10:59 AM
ANSWER THIS QUESTION 4.......... i would tell you ans next day. dranant USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 08-16-2010 10:27 AM
ANSWER THIS QUESTION 2.......... i would tell you ans next day. dranant USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 08-15-2010 10:54 PM
ANSWER THIS QUESTION 5.......... i would tell you ans next day. dranant USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 08-15-2010 10:48 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)