Residency program matching 2014 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Question Residency program matching 2014

Hi,

I am an IMG and I would like to apply for residency program matching 2014. I have read about the NRMP bit still confused. I have not taken any step and I would like to know what is the time I should have taken USMLE step 2 CK, CS and step 1 so I can match the deadlines for residency matching 2014.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Israelramanathan (02-26-2013)


  #2  
Old 02-25-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

You have to have taken all the exams by August 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
swwal (06-08-2013)
  #3  
Old 02-26-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Wink

you can apply this year try your best, you can if not now then, when
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-27-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default residency matching 2014

Two questions
1- I have contacted the NRMP previously and they reported that i have to finish my exams by December while others saying by August can someone please explain this controversy.
2- Does it mean that the reference letters and letters of recommendation should be ready before august
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-27-2013
tanujasalim's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 132
Threads: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 55
Default

The first day of submitting your completed application is September 15th. Most programs review applications up until December.
Things you can update in your application are:
1. LORS
2. Scores

It is safer to apply early as the competition is high and they hand out interviews soon after the application commences. It's also better to apply once you have your completed application ready. This is because though programs can always download whats left of your application later, they don't review the same application twice ie at the time of submission and after completion. So there lies a risk!

NRMP talks about what is technically possible where as when people say finish your steps by August, they mean have yourself ECFMG certified by September 15th, which exponentially increases your chances of getting an interview...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never give up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-27-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

So is it O.K to take my last step which is step 1 by the first of August or that will delay my ECFMG certificate and is it right that the programs are fine with having the scores only while the process of having the ECFMG certificate is not finished. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-28-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

If you dont match, check out this awesome program http://www.drnswami.org/cch/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-02-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 5
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanujasalim View Post
The first day of submitting your completed application is September 15th. Most programs review applications up until December.
Things you can update in your application are:
1. LORS
2. Scores

It is safer to apply early as the competition is high and they hand out interviews soon after the application commences. It's also better to apply once you have your completed application ready. This is because though programs can always download whats left of your application later, they don't review the same application twice ie at the time of submission and after completion. So there lies a risk!

NRMP talks about what is technically possible where as when people say finish your steps by August, they mean have yourself ECFMG certified by September 15th, which exponentially increases your chances of getting an interview...
how did you know it is sep 15?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-02-2013
tanujasalim's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 132
Threads: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutealgae View Post
how did you know it is sep 15?
NRMP website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (04-30-2013)
  #10  
Old 03-04-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default ecfmg

If I am to get ECFMG certified by september 14th, when should I have completed my steps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 03-04-2013
tanujasalim's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 132
Threads: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
If I am to get ECFMG certified by september 14th, when should I have completed my steps?
August 1st. Results take 3 weeks, certification 3 weeks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
lysogeny (03-07-2013), water (03-05-2013)
  #12  
Old 03-04-2013
tanujasalim's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 132
Threads: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Rana View Post
So is it O.K to take my last step which is step 1 by the first of August or that will delay my ECFMG certificate and is it right that the programs are fine with having the scores only while the process of having the ECFMG certificate is not finished. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
That's fine but it is always preferable to submit a complete application. It will get automatically updated though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (03-05-2013)
  #13  
Old 03-05-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default Step 2 CS

tanujasalim and others, If I sit for my step 2 CS on the latter part of june, will the results come out on time for the interveiws? because the USMLE web site says that score reporting will end on september 11th 2013 for that date. So add three weeks to that for the ECFMG certificate it will be early october when I am ecfmg certified.so that will be too late.please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (04-21-2013)
  #14  
Old 03-07-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergivingup View Post
If you dont match, check out this awesome program http://www.drnswami.org/cch/index.html
Thanks, but I have a question is it only for Indian graduates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 06-07-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 80
Threads: 3
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanujasalim View Post
August 1st. Results take 3 weeks, certification 3 weeks...
i am totally confused,please help me out,my cs exam date is 11 july,plz simply tell me my road map,wen ll i get my result ,when ll i be ecfmg verified and then certified ,am i late for 15 sept
and for 15 sept do i need to be certified or verified is enough
one more thing ecfmg score reporting schedule says that if i appear in cs after 15 july my result ll come at 8 october ,,,
so as you have said above ,,if i give my cs at 1 august how can i get my result after 3 weeks
plz clear this confusion
thanks in anticipation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 06-07-2013
tanujasalim's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 132
Threads: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 55
Default Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuflife View Post
i am totally confused,please help me out,my cs exam date is 11 july,plz simply tell me my road map,wen ll i get my result ,when ll i be ecfmg verified and then certified ,am i late for 15 sept
and for 15 sept do i need to be certified or verified is enough
one more thing ecfmg score reporting schedule says that if i appear in cs after 15 july my result ll come at 8 october ,,,
so as you have said above ,,if i give my cs at 1 august how can i get my result after 3 weeks
plz clear this confusion
thanks in anticipation
Your 'road map': You'll have to check the usmle website for the date in which your score is reported for CS, the time period varies. If your result comes out on Oct 8, you get ECFMG certified by November 1st.

If you are asking me if its better to apply late with complete application vs apply early with incomplete application, the truth is I don't know for sure. Your best bet always is to apply early.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never give up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 06-07-2013
tanujasalim's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 132
Threads: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 55
Correct Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
tanujasalim and others, If I sit for my step 2 CS on the latter part of june, will the results come out on time for the interveiws? because the USMLE web site says that score reporting will end on september 11th 2013 for that date. So add three weeks to that for the ECFMG certificate it will be early october when I am ecfmg certified.so that will be too late.please explain.
Early October would be fine. There maybe a few programs that you'll miss out on but if the rest of your profile is good, they'd wait for your CS and ECFMG. So far, I haven't heard of anyone getting a rejection letter before their complete application was downloaded by the program. But this is my personal POV.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never give up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (06-08-2013)
  #18  
Old 06-07-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 80
Threads: 3
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanujasalim View Post
Your 'road map': You'll have to check the usmle website for the date in which your score is reported for CS, the time period varies. If your result comes out on Oct 8, you get ECFMG certified by November 1st.

If you are asking me if its better to apply late with complete application vs apply early with incomplete application, the truth is I don't know for sure. Your best bet always is to apply early.

sory but i think i was not able to make you understand,,,
my actual cs exam date is 11 july and according to usmle.org score reporting schedule of cs,,my cs result ll b available atmost by 10 sept,,,(could be early)
but if still its 10 sept i get my cs result,is it good enough for me,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 06-07-2013
tanujasalim's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 132
Threads: 26
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 55
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuflife View Post
sory but i think i was not able to make you understand,,,
my actual cs exam date is 11 july and according to usmle.org score reporting schedule of cs,,my cs result ll b available atmost by 10 sept,,,(could be early)
but if still its 10 sept i get my cs result,is it good enough for me,
good enough
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never give up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Match-2014, Match-Timeline

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does matching in an advanced position require completiong of preliminary program? Haisook IMG Residency Match Forum 4 04-20-2014 02:39 AM
Match & Residency 2014 white-rose IMG Residency Match Forum 1 06-12-2013 12:31 PM
GPA and Residency Matching drhma IMG Residency Match Forum 3 03-30-2012 08:30 AM
Three Questions about Residency Matching ashishkabir IMG Residency Match Forum 1 09-15-2010 08:23 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)