SOAP 2013 Thread - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Star SOAP 2013 Thread

This is for all the people who are pulling for the SOAP.

Please dont feel alone, we are all here to support you.

GOOD LUCK. BEST WISHES.

Please tell us when the call comes in, what you going for, what you went for , creds, etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ddaydreamer (01-18-2014)


  #2  
Old 03-11-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 10
Threads: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

hi! i am going in for SOAP. but it seems an unfair process and i don't find it to be very fruitful either. i am an img with scores of 225, 215 and cs passed 3.5 months of usce from ivey league colleges but didn't match this year. received just one interview, even though it went well but no positive outcomes.
fingers crossed applied for internal medicine in the match
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shima (03-11-2013)
  #3  
Old 03-11-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitesh View Post
hi! i am going in for SOAP. but it seems an unfair process and i don't find it to be very fruitful either. i am an img with scores of 225, 215 and cs passed 3.5 months of usce from ivey league colleges but didn't match this year. received just one interview, even though it went well but no positive outcomes.
fingers crossed applied for internal medicine in the match
I am sorry to hear about that. Make sure to apply to all IM programs.

Your creds are good. I hope you do well this time and SOAP will be very good to you.

Tell us when you get the call

PS: why do you say unfair ?

Also remember this:

"Phone interviews usually take about 15-30 minutes.

There are no right or wrong answers. The program faculty is just trying to see if you are a good fit personality-wise. If you got a call, you have already passed credential screening and the program liked most of the things about you. So, just be who you are. Be enthusiastic. At the end of the interview, you will have a chance to ask your questions. You should ask about anything you really want to know (how many attending are at the program, are there any research opportunities, are there any other IMGs at the program, is there a daycare facility at the hospital, how good local schools are, what is the traffic situation). Your questions should demonstrate that you really are interested in the program."

Last edited by shima; 03-11-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: ""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (04-21-2013), dr mumble (08-16-2013), Sid_Wala (03-12-2013)
  #4  
Old 03-11-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 10
Threads: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
I am sorry to hear about that. Make sure to apply to all IM programs.

Your creds are good. I hope you do well this time and SOAP will be very good to you.

Tell us when you get the call

PS: why do you say unfair ?

Also remember this:

"Phone interviews usually take about 15-30 minutes.

There are no right or wrong answers. The program faculty is just trying to sround ee if you are a good fit personality-wise. If you got a call, you have already passed credential screening and the program liked most of the things about you. So, just be who you are. Be enthusiastic. At the end of the interview, you will have a chance to ask your questions. You should ask about anything you really want to know (how many attending are at the program, are there any research opportunities, are there any other IMGs at the program, is there a daycare facility at the hospital, how good local schools are, what is the traffic situation). Your questions should demonstrate that you really are interested in the program."

Thanks for the supportive words. I consider it unfair because i am sure they are getting are getting 2000 applications as an average and am sure they are not looking at each one of them , moreover i don't understand the reason of not allowing to initiate contact? I am very disturbed because i never expected it that i will remain unmatched , even though i interviewed at just one place the interviewee told me that he is going to give me an A star. I am withering now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-11-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitesh View Post
Thanks for the supportive words. I consider it unfair because i am sure they are getting are getting 2000 applications as an average and am sure they are not looking at each one of them , moreover i don't understand the reason of not allowing to initiate contact? I am very disturbed because i never expected it that i will remain unmatched , even though i interviewed at just one place the interviewee told me that he is going to give me an A star. I am withering now
I understand, but do not give up. SOAP will work out.

BELIEVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 63
Threads: 23
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

This year match remained depressing for me and now i have applied in SOAP....my credentials are:
step 1 227, step 2 238, CS passed at first attempt, IMG needing visa, YOG 2011, 2 month observership with one US LOR....applied in IM around 110 programs and did not get a single IV. I was ECFMG certified late(october 16th) and applied hoping to get a couple of IVs but not a single IV call later on....That really was depressing! Anyhow, now hoping for some thing good to come out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-12-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhu 001 View Post
This year match remained depressing for me and now i have applied in SOAP....my credentials are:
step 1 227, step 2 238, CS passed at first attempt, IMG needing visa, YOG 2011, 2 month observership with one US LOR....applied in IM around 110 programs and did not get a single IV. I was ECFMG certified late(october 16th) and applied hoping to get a couple of IVs but not a single IV call later on....That really was depressing! Anyhow, now hoping for some thing good to come out
I think is because you applied late. But again luck plays an important part in this whole game.

When did your CS mark come in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 48
Threads: 14
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

My creds are:
Step 1: 224
Step 2 CK: 238
CS: pass
all on first attempt
i have 8 months USCE + 2 months observership.
Currently doing clinical research at University of Massachusetts
graduated in 2011
I have a green card so i dont need sponsorship

I thought i would get at least 1 phone interview for the SOAP
but i realized you can work hard all your life for something but at the end it doesnt really matter, chance favors those who are simply made it to the front of the line first.

The first round of soap is almost over, its a completely useless process. But i dont have any other options but to see it through to the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
iron (03-13-2013)
  #9  
Old 03-12-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemd View Post
My creds are:
Step 1: 224
Step 2 CK: 238
CS: pass
all on first attempt
i have 8 months USCE + 2 months observership.
Currently doing clinical research at University of Massachusetts
graduated in 2011
I have a green card so i dont need sponsorship

I thought i would get at least 1 phone interview for the SOAP
but i realized you can work hard all your life for something but at the end it doesnt really matter, chance favors those who are simply made it to the front of the line first.

The first round of soap is almost over, its a completely useless process. But i dont have any other options but to see it through to the end.
something must be wrong with your file. I have heard of 220s not being matched but your CK is nice. Please tell us what you applied to, how many and also how many US LOR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
IM2013 (03-12-2013)
  #10  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 48
Threads: 14
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
something must be wrong with your file. I have heard of 220s not being matched but your CK is nice. Please tell us what you applied to, how many and also how many US LOR
i applied to IM, i have 3 US LORs and 1 non-US LOR. i know i applied late for the match but i was at least expecting something from the SOAP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 63
Threads: 23
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
I think is because you applied late. But again luck plays an important part in this whole game.

When did your CS mark come in
Actually it was CK which got late...my result came out on 13th october
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 63
Threads: 23
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemd View Post
My creds are:
Step 1: 224
Step 2 CK: 238
CS: pass
all on first attempt
i have 8 months USCE + 2 months observership.
Currently doing clinical research at University of Massachusetts
graduated in 2011
I have a green card so i dont need sponsorship

I thought i would get at least 1 phone interview for the SOAP
but i realized you can work hard all your life for something but at the end it doesnt really matter, chance favors those who are simply made it to the front of the line first.

The first round of soap is almost over, its a completely useless process. But i dont have any other options but to see it through to the end.
Looking at your profile, I can say that I am not alone. U definitely deserved a few IVs. Anyways, there is always a silver lining. When do u plan to take step 3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 48
Threads: 14
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhu 001 View Post
Looking at your profile, I can say that I am not alone.U definitely deserved a few IVs.Anyways , there is always a silver lining. When do u plan to take step 3?
im studying for it now but i havent set a date for it yet. Unlike step 1 and 2 this time im just too frustrated to care and get all worked up. I will take it and i will try my best but it just wont have the same sense of accomplishment as the previous tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 03-12-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 63
Threads: 23
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemd View Post
im studying for it now but i havent set a date for it yet. Unlike step 1 and 2 this time im just too frustrated to care and get all worked up. I will take it and i will try my best but it just wont have the same sense of accomplishment as the previous tests.
I can understand that, totally man.It's like ,one thinks, why the heck am I doing so much hard work ? it is really becoming tougher and tougher to to start studies seriously again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 03-13-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 109
Threads: 8
Thanked 105 Times in 56 Posts
Reputation: 115
Default Similar situation

I am in a similar boat guys.

Credentials:
Step1: 223
Step2: 235
Step 2 CS: Pass.

All 1st attempt.

6 mo USCE. Green Card. But got ECFMG Certification too late and applied only in Jan 2013. Was hoping for something in SOAP, but nothing. Will study for step 3 and try again next year I guess.

Applying only in IM and in SOAP I applied for a few Transitional and Prelim positions too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shima (03-13-2013)



  #16  
Old 03-13-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default unfilled program list updates

On 2004 I was matched through the San Francisco match and completed my first year in Transitional Year internship. unfortunately I had some argument with my program director, then the department set me up with some below average evaluations and didn't release my TY certificate. They also removed several of my average evaluations from my transcript, so that, I couldn't use my evaluations for another residency. Program director later on confessed that he intentionally damaged my profile and apologized from me; he gave me a recommendation letter for residency and a list of all first year rotations that I had had completed, but declined my request for releasing my TY certificate. Since 2005 I have been continuously applying for residency and have done three research fellowships and have passed step-3 on 2011. I think my profile is a dead body and won't be revived any more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 03-13-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 159
Threads: 52
Thanked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Reputation: 81
Default

Seems like most ppl have similar profile to me
Step 1 246
Step 2 237
Step 2 CS passed
1 month USCE
1 US LOR
Rest from US board certified doctors
Currently in an ACGME accredited program in a different country (PGY2)
1 publication
3 researches
need visa

Only had one interview; went well but not matched
no calls so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 03-13-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 159
Threads: 52
Thanked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Reputation: 81
Default

Now I plan to quit my job here give my step 3 get some USCE and re-apply next year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 03-13-2013
ACA's Avatar
ACA ACA is offline
Official Advertiser Representative
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 278
Threads: 54
Thanked 97 Times in 67 Posts
Reputation: 107
Send a message via Skype™ to ACA
Smile

Thanks for sharing and best wishes to everyone.

For those that Matched please make sure to share your name and residency program on Friday.

It would also be great to learn of your individual experiences while in residency.

Examples:
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai - Staff (PGY1)
http://icahn.mssm.edu/departments-an...residents/pgy1

New York Medical College Family Medicine Residency Program Ar Saint Joseps Medical Center (The Residents)
http://www.nymc.edu/stjfm-residency/pgy1.htm


NYMC Phelps Family Medicine Residency Program

- Dr. Badiwala and the Surgical Rotation
- Dr. Sara Paul and the Neonatology Rotation
https://www.facebook.com/nymcphelpsresidency


Best - Victor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 03-13-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 63
Threads: 23
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meka View Post
Now I plan to quit my job here give my step 3 get some USCE and re-apply next year
This is pretty depressing....u have a good profile for IM match at least..Anyways, keep up the good work , take step 3 and reapply next year..bets of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 03-13-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meka View Post
Seems like most ppl have similar profile to me
Step 1 246
Step 2 237
Step 2 CS passed
1 month USCE
1 US LOR
Rest from US board certified doctors
Currently in an ACGME accredited program in a different country (PGY2)
1 publication
3 researches
need visa

Only had one interview; went well but not matched
no calls so far!
One reason is because you are leaving a good ACGME PGY-2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 03-13-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 31
Threads: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default no phone calls

I am IMG -YOG(2004)
STEP 1-234
STEP2-198
CS-PASS
all first attempt
Green card holder
Got 1 interview from ped and had NIce interview but didn't match
applied to 130 program's mostly IM few PED and FM.
No calls from SOAP
I really don't know what to do I need help here.How would step 3 help me if I score >230?and , observer ship?show me the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 03-13-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERD View Post
I am IMG -YOG(2004)
STEP 1-234
STEP2-198
CS-PASS
all first attempt
Green card holder
Got 1 interview from ped and had NIce interview but didn't match
applied to 130 program's mostly IM few PED and FM.
No calls from SOAP
I really don't know what to do I need help here.How would step 3 help me if I score >230?and , observer ship?show me the future.
How about US-LOR, USCE

STEP 3 will help you out yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 03-13-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 102
Threads: 15
Thanked 86 Times in 50 Posts
Reputation: 96
Default

Hi,
Is SOAP only for community hospitals or are there also university-based programs participating in it?
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 03-13-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 31
Threads: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triquetrum View Post
Hi,
Is SOAP only for community hospitals or are there also university-based programs participating in it?
thanks.
It's for all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Triquetrum (03-15-2013)



  #26  
Old 03-14-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 159
Threads: 52
Thanked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Reputation: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
One reason is because you are leaving a good ACGME PGY-2
Its a double edged sword, they wouldnt want me to have empty slots in my resume but wont take me if I am already enrolled in a residency program and getting experience? Ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 03-14-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 63
Threads: 23
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meka View Post
Its a double edged sword, they wouldnt want me to have empty slots in my resume but wont take me if I am already enrolled in a residency program and getting experience? Ridiculous
that is the stupidest thing that I had heard...but it is a fact, it seems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 03-14-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 35
Threads: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default advice!!!

hello..
I am an FMG from India.. graduated in 2010 and applied from neurosurgery and prelim gen surg match this year... this was my first attempt for residency... my first intention was not to come to the us for residency and so it took me an extra year to apply... i got 2 interviews for ns.. but i didnot match anywhere.. have my fingers crossed for SOAP but i dont know how that's gonna end up!!

scores: 195/205/cs passed all first attempt
did 7months observership at UIC... now doing another one at cook county hosp..
got 2 US LORS and 1 from US certified doc n 2 from indian docs..
got 3 publications and working on another one now..
green card holder..

as my scores are on the low side i have been trying to get some good clinical experince as suggested but some residents i ve met (who r also FMGs), but have not been able to find any..
I feel like i m not doing this the right way!!
hoping to get some information regarding USCE and also about what to do if SOAP doesnt work out for me..
I would appreciate it very much if anyone can please advice me on how to proceed forward..

thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
match-2013, Match-Experiences, SOAP-Match

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
January 9th 2013; Step 1 Exam Results Thread mikx99 USMLE Step 1 Forum 39 01-10-2014 06:09 PM
March 6th, 2013; Step 1 Exam Results Thread Wajahat USMLE Step 1 Forum 76 03-07-2013 01:35 PM
February 6th, 2013; Step 2 CK Exam Results Thread maheen USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 10 02-26-2013 08:35 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)