Question regarding LORs,please advise !!! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-25-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 203 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 213
Unhappy Question regarding LORs,please advise !!!

I'm planning to participate in the next match season but a friend of mine just told me something today that shock me to the very core.
he said that at least 3 LORs are required to apply for all the programs & without them you can't send your application via eras.
I always thought LORs are a good thing to have but I never thought that they would be mandatory as he said.
Please advise cause I didn't get any LOR & even if I do it's gonna be one & I don't think I can get anymore !!!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 04-25-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 203 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

it's either no one have an answer or it's a stupid question to answer , but I really don't know & it's haunting me now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-25-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
I'm planning to participate in the next match season but a friend of mine just told me something today that shock me to the very core.
he said that at least 3 LORs are required to apply for all the programs & without them you can't send your application via eras.
I always thought LORs are a good thing to have but I never thought that they would be mandatory as he said.
Please advise cause I didn't get any LOR & even if I do it's gonna be one & I don't think I can get anymore !!!
thanks
yes you need 3 LORS.
you mean you can not go to your home school or where ever to get LOR
than you are in trouble.

not having US-LORS is bad, not having any LOR is very very very bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 04-25-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 203 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
yes you need 3 LORS.
you mean you can not go to your home school or where ever to get LOR
than you are in trouble.

not having US-LORS is bad, not having any LOR is very very very bad.
let me clarify a little bit , what he told me exactly is 3 US-LORs , I have like 5 from doctors at my school back home but I'll probably get at least 1 LOR from a US doctor but never 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-25-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
let me clarify a little bit , what he told me exactly is 3 US-LORs , I have like 5 from doctors at my school back home but I'll probably get at least 1 LOR from a US doctor but never 3.
you are set to go.

this person is not your friend, or if he is , he is smoking to much shisha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
npktun (04-29-2013), venky2600 (04-28-2013)
  #6  
Old 04-25-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
I'm planning to participate in the next match season but a friend of mine just told me something today that shock me to the very core.
he said that at least 3 LORs are required to apply for all the programs & without them you can't send your application via eras.
I always thought LORs are a good thing to have but I never thought that they would be mandatory as he said.
Please advise cause I didn't get any LOR & even if I do it's gonna be one & I don't think I can get anymore !!!
thanks
your ok,

what are your marks and creds. what you trying to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-25-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 203 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
you are set to go.

this person is not your friend, or if he is , he is smoking to much shisha.
LOL, he doesn't even know what that is , he told me that's what he was told & may be he was misinformed .
so you think one US-LOR is not too bad + a month of hands-on experience + US citizen + YOG 2010 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-25-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
LOL, he doesn't even know what that is , he told me that's what he was told & may be he was misinformed .
so you think one US-LOR is not too bad + a month of hands-on experience + US citizen + YOG 2010 ?

what are your other marks, it all depends on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-25-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 203 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
what are your other marks, it all depends on this.
212 ck,WAITING FOR STEP 1 NEXT WEDNESDAY but have high hopes,CS SCHEDULED FOR NEXT MONTH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-25-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
212 ck,WAITING FOR STEP 1 NEXT WEDNESDAY but have high hopes,CS SCHEDULED FOR NEXT MONTH
No sugar coating.

your CK is very bad.
how hopeful are you to score 230+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 04-25-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
No sugar coating.

your CK is very bad.
how hopeful are you to score 230+

you need 3 month USCE and step 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
younissmed (04-29-2013)
  #12  
Old 04-25-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 203 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
No sugar coating.

your CK is very bad.
how hopeful are you to score 230+
Yeah I know , God bless the Egyptian Revolution that delayed my test 3 times.
Fingers crossed ,waiting for step 1.
To what extent do you think it will hurt me to get into IM if my step 1 score is above 225-230 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 04-25-2013
shima's Avatar
Banned
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 64
Thanked 574 Times in 378 Posts
Reputation: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younissmed View Post
Yeah I know , God bless the Egyptian Revolution that delayed my test 3 times.
Fingers crossed ,waiting for step 1.
To what extent do you think it will hurt me to get into IM if my step 1 score is above 225-230 ?

do not worry, you have a strong point to make in PS.

Not at all. My friend, Inshalla you will match. pray to get 227+ on step 1, anything more is a plus.

Also make sure your CV is geared towards IM.
but i think you should get more US lors. at least 1 more.

Last edited by shima; 04-25-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: an to a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 04-25-2013
younissmed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 378
Threads: 68
Thanked 203 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shima View Post
do not worry, you have an strong point to make in PS.

Not at all. My friend, Inshalla you will match. pray to get 227+ on step 1, anything more is a plus.

Also make sure your CV is geared towards IM.
but i think you should get more US lors. at least 1 more.
Thanks Shima you've been a great help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shima (04-25-2013)
  #15  
Old 04-27-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 110
Threads: 0
Thanked 88 Times in 36 Posts
Reputation: 98
Default

The more LoRs in such specialty equals the better chances to much in such specialty

3 LoRs in IM >>> 1 LoR in IM
Think about how many people are applying you want to stand out any way you can.

1. Great scores
2. USCE
3. LoRs in field
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
younissmed (04-27-2013)






Reply

Tags
Letters-Of-Recommendations

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need advise!!! ambi baru USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 08-22-2012 12:30 AM
US LoRs versus home country LORs! medicine IMG Residency Match Forum 13 09-08-2011 07:53 PM
Need Advise please.. mleprep USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 04-17-2011 06:09 PM
Number of LORs needed and home country LoRs abans IMG Residency Match Forum 1 08-04-2009 03:17 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)