What are my chances? I need an honest opinion - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 17
Threads: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 18
Info What are my chances? I need an honest opinion

I am an IMG, graduated in 2011, passed step 1 with 237 (december 2012), step 2 ck with 238 (april 2013) and passed step 2 cs in may this year on first attempt.

My big problem is that I do not have any USCE and for that matter no US LORs. Also I'm gonna need J1 to start residecy.


I'm trying to get the best home LORs but from what I saw on these froums everybody thinks that without some US ones you stand no chance.

Waiting for some honest opinions about this pickle of a situation that I'm in.
What are my chances to match this year or ever?
What specialties should I aim for?
Can I get US LORs and use them without having any USCE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 06-27-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 157
Threads: 4
Thanked 201 Times in 75 Posts
Reputation: 211
Default

Your scores are decent. You have a chance.
But it depends on the program you are applying to. There are quite a number of programs that don't require usce, you need to look that up on freida. Not EVERY program requires usce. You have a chance in psychiatry, family medicine, internal medicine and paediatrics. I don't know about the other specialities. Once you get an interview, you stand parallel to those with 1000 years of usce. How you perform during the interviews however determines whether you will match. Having usce has a lot of advantages e.g you get to understand the system here, you get exposed to emr and how to relate to patients etc.
Compared to those with usce, how will you fare? Well not as well as them. Those with usce will have more interviews than you,because they can apply to more programs.
If there's any chance to get into an observership, I will advise you go for it. Even if its for a week, it's better than nothing.
If you can do your step 3, it's a bonus.
If there's no chance whatsoever, and you are hellbent on applying, then prepare well for your interview. People have matched with only one interview. Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mikx99 (06-27-2013), Neutrino (09-09-2013), water (09-09-2013)
  #3  
Old 09-08-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 7
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamX View Post
Your scores are decent. You have a chance.
But it depends on the program you are applying to. There are quite a number of programs that don't require usce, you need to look that up on freida. Not EVERY program requires usce. You have a chance in psychiatry, family medicine, internal medicine and paediatrics. I don't know about the other specialities. Once you get an interview, you stand parallel to those with 1000 years of usce. How you perform during the interviews however determines whether you will match. Having usce has a lot of advantages e.g you get to understand the system here, you get exposed to emr and how to relate to patients etc.
Compared to those with usce, how will you fare? Well not as well as them. Those with usce will have more interviews than you,because they can apply to more programs.
If there's any chance to get into an observership, I will advise you go for it. Even if its for a week, it's better than nothing.
If you can do your step 3, it's a bonus.
If there's no chance whatsoever, and you are hellbent on applying, then prepare well for your interview. People have matched with only one interview. Cheers
IMG -non us citizen from india

step 1 score 203
other steps awaited

3 years MD in obgyn from india
6 month diploma in clinical research
fellowship in palliative medicine
post graduate diploma in businees management (equivalent to distance MBA )
5 publications (all in obgyn) out of which 2 in american journal & 1 british & rest indian
12 papers and poster presentation ( all in obgyn ,all in india) , best pAper presentation prize winner

NEVER BEEN TO US (NO USCE , US LOR , ETC)....
2 LOR FROM MY PEDIATRIC FACULTY OF MY MED GRADUATE SCHOOL
4 LOR FROM OBGYN FACULTY FROM MY POST GRAD SCHOOL

I HAVE GIVEN UP HOPES OF MATCHIN IN OBGYN IN US WITH SUCH LOW SCORES .... CAN I MATCH INTO PAEDS WITH THIS SCORE AND A BACKGROUND LIKE MINE
PLEASE DO REPLY ..WHAT TO DO ..HOW TO IMPROVE...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 09-08-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 157
Threads: 4
Thanked 201 Times in 75 Posts
Reputation: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombiswas View Post
IMG -non us citizen from india

step 1 score 203
other steps awaited

3 years MD in obgyn from india
6 month diploma in clinical research
fellowship in palliative medicine
post graduate diploma in businees management (equivalent to distance MBA )
5 publications (all in obgyn) out of which 2 in american journal & 1 british & rest indian
12 papers and poster presentation ( all in obgyn ,all in india) , best pAper presentation prize winner

NEVER BEEN TO US (NO USCE , US LOR , ETC)....
2 LOR FROM MY PEDIATRIC FACULTY OF MY MED GRADUATE SCHOOL
4 LOR FROM OBGYN FACULTY FROM MY POST GRAD SCHOOL

I HAVE GIVEN UP HOPES OF MATCHIN IN OBGYN IN US WITH SUCH LOW SCORES .... CAN I MATCH INTO PAEDS WITH THIS SCORE AND A BACKGROUND LIKE MINE
PLEASE DO REPLY ..WHAT TO DO ..HOW TO IMPROVE...
What's your year of graduation?
When do you plan on taking the other steps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-09-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 530
Threads: 35
Thanked 291 Times in 207 Posts
Reputation: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamX View Post
What's your year of graduation?
When do you plan on taking the other steps?
Hey GamX how are you? How did you do on step 2 CK? im sure you did pretty well

Which specialty are you going for ?
__________________
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-09-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 157
Threads: 4
Thanked 201 Times in 75 Posts
Reputation: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadde View Post
Hey GamX how are you? How did you do on step 2 CK? im sure you did pretty well

Which specialty are you going for ?
Hey sadde I was just ok, 246. Going in for internal medicine! What are you going for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-09-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 514
Threads: 66
Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
Reputation: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamX View Post
Your scores are decent. You have a chance.
But it depends on the program you are applying to. There are quite a number of programs that don't require usce, you need to look that up on freida. Not EVERY program requires usce. You have a chance in psychiatry, family medicine, internal medicine and paediatrics. I don't know about the other specialities. Once you get an interview, you stand parallel to those with 1000 years of usce. How you perform during the interviews however determines whether you will match. Having usce has a lot of advantages e.g you get to understand the system here, you get exposed to emr and how to relate to patients etc.
Compared to those with usce, how will you fare? Well not as well as them. Those with usce will have more interviews than you,because they can apply to more programs.
If there's any chance to get into an observership, I will advise you go for it. Even if its for a week, it's better than nothing.
If you can do your step 3, it's a bonus.
If there's no chance whatsoever, and you are hellbent on applying, then prepare well for your interview. People have matched with only one interview. Cheers
Doesent psychiatry need Psychiatry USCE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-09-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 157
Threads: 4
Thanked 201 Times in 75 Posts
Reputation: 211
Default

Oh yeah it does, but I don't think all psychiatry programs require psychiatry usce. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
water (09-09-2013)
  #9  
Old 09-09-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 530
Threads: 35
Thanked 291 Times in 207 Posts
Reputation: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamX View Post
Oh yeah it does, but I don't think all psychiatry programs require psychiatry usce. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Well done!! 246! i knew you had it in you im going for surgery! lets see how it goes. How many programs are you applying to?
__________________
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
GamX (09-09-2013)
  #10  
Old 09-09-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 157
Threads: 4
Thanked 201 Times in 75 Posts
Reputation: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadde View Post
Well done!! 246! i knew you had it in you im going for surgery! lets see how it goes. How many programs are you applying to?
Thanks going for 110, I might increase it to 130. Surgery is awesome! Wish you the best sadde
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Match-Probability

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honest Advice whatsupdoc86 USMLE Step 3 Forum 10 08-02-2015 11:38 PM
Honest advice whatsupdoc86 IMG Residency Match Forum 6 05-19-2013 03:08 PM
honest advice whatsupdoc86 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 0 05-19-2013 12:51 PM
Please give me your honest opinions. imcv USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 03-21-2013 06:48 AM
Honest Opinions needed.. one_destiny USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 05-22-2012 04:20 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)