Anyone from UST (Philippines) who applied for PTAL? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-13-2013
lysogeny's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 57
Threads: 6
Thanked 40 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 50
Philippines Anyone from UST (Philippines) who applied for PTAL?

Hi! I'm looking for help regarding PTAL. In addition to my clerkship rotation, can I include my postgraduate internship hours to meet the minimum # of weeks required for Family Med and Psychiatry?

For anyone who did their internship in UST too: how did you get your internship rotations in Fam Med and Psychiatry credited? Because they won't sign my internship hours on either the L5 or L6...

Thank u.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 08-17-2013
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 891 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 908
Default

Yep, I heard you can include PGI hours to the required number of hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
lysogeny (08-20-2013)
  #3  
Old 08-20-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default From UST too

Hi! I'm from UST too. I had the same question too. I called the Medical Board of California and they told me to have my Form L5 with my clinical clerkship rotations signed by UST. And have the hospital where I did my internship (Jose Reyes Hospital) send them a certificate of completion of internship with rotation and hours. The analyst told me that clerkship and internship rotations are both acceptable. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
lysogeny (08-20-2013)
 
  #4  
Old 08-20-2013
lysogeny's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 57
Threads: 6
Thanked 40 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 50
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Glazes View Post
Hi! I'm from UST too. I had the same question too. I called the Medical Board of California and they told me to have my Form L5 with my clinical clerkship rotations signed by UST. And have the hospital where I did my internship (Jose Reyes Hospital) send them a certificate of completion of internship with rotation and hours. The analyst told me that clerkship and internship rotations are both acceptable. I hope this helps.
Excellent help! UST won't put my internship hours on either L5 or L6, and MBC never returns my calls because they keep directing me to a specific person. So I thought of just maybe sending them my Internship Certificate, and crossing my fingers that it'll work. Glad to hear some affirmative feedback from you. Thank you Monday Glazes.
__________________
Ha! My eyebags ain't Gucci but can sure fit Schwartz, Nelsons, and Williams in em!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-21-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 67
Threads: 25
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default help

hi guys can you help me with this please?

Hi, I'm applying to the residency now, and at the same time applying to PTAL (I have SSN). My main 2 questions are, hope you guys can help me bacuse I tried to called California boards and das to wait like 1 hour holding without sucess.

1) The format L6: Certificate of Individual Clinical clerkship training, says if i have been training in other part outside my univ hosp. Hello!!! I have done 10 clerkships around the world and 6 in the US, that means (each one for a month) that means that i have to ask all my supervisors to fill that format? even if one of them is in greece? or this just not apply in my case?

2) I plan de send all the documents on sept 15 th, when do i need to have the PTAL ready? I have heard before jan 15th, that is when the programs rank the applicants?

Please, help me.

Thanks

Paolo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-21-2013
lysogeny's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 57
Threads: 6
Thanked 40 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo2011 View Post
hi guys can you help me with this please?

Hi, I'm applying to the residency now, and at the same time applying to PTAL (I have SSN). My main 2 questions are, hope you guys can help me bacuse I tried to called California boards and das to wait like 1 hour holding without sucess.

1) The format L6: Certificate of Individual Clinical clerkship training, says if i have been training in other part outside my univ hosp. Hello!!! I have done 10 clerkships around the world and 6 in the US, that means (each one for a month) that means that i have to ask all my supervisors to fill that format? even if one of them is in greece? or this just not apply in my case?

2) I plan de send all the documents on sept 15 th, when do i need to have the PTAL ready? I have heard before jan 15th, that is when the programs rank the applicants?

Please, help me.

Thanks

Paolo.
Hi Paolo. Are you from the Philippines too? Anyway doesn't matter, I will try to your questions, and yes I know the holding time when calling the MBC is ridiculously long!

1) I personally have no experience yet with the L6 so I can't give you sound advice, but what I see is you should call the MBC to talk to an "adviser" (just like Monday Glaze above), which I haven't done because I can't get through, too.

2) I am currently still working on the PTAL documents although I know this point in time might be late. For residency application in September, you can attach the receipt as an "LOR" in lieu of the California Letter as temporary proof, but on your interview (whether it's in October, November, December, or January), you should have the actual letter with you to submit.

Hope that helped a bit.
__________________
Ha! My eyebags ain't Gucci but can sure fit Schwartz, Nelsons, and Williams in em!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-16-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to mavreen8
Star PTAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysogeny View Post
Hi Paolo. Are you from the Philippines too? Anyway doesn't matter, I will try to your questions, and yes I know the holding time when calling the MBC is ridiculously long!

1) I personally have no experience yet with the L6 so I can't give you sound advice, but what I see is you should call the MBC to talk to an "adviser" (just like Monday Glaze above), which I haven't done because I can't get through, too.

2) I am currently still working on the PTAL documents although I know this point in time might be late. For residency application in September, you can attach the receipt as an "LOR" in lieu of the California Letter as temporary proof, but on your interview (whether it's in October, November, December, or January), you should have the actual letter with you to submit.

Hope that helped a bit.
Hey lysogeny, im from the philippines too.. planning on applying for PTAL.. Did u apply online? How much did u pay? Hope to hear from u soon...
__________________
-mavsMD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-11-2014
lysogeny's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 57
Threads: 6
Thanked 40 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavreen8 View Post
Hey lysogeny, im from the philippines too.. planning on applying for PTAL.. Did u apply online? How much did u pay? Hope to hear from u soon...
Hi Mavs,

Really sorry to reply just now. Was busy during the past months. Yes I applied online, and mailed my application through fed-ex. It had the stuff like LiveScan fingerprints, Forms L1, L2, L5. I paid the application fee also. Expect to pay around $600+ all in all (application fee plus documents). But I haven't sent in the USMLE transcripts from ECFMG and FSMB.

The thing is, I applied only in August 2013. Then I applied for only 5 programs in California. And so far I have only received one interview from that state. So I plan to complete my application (i.e, send in the transcripts) only until I make sure that I match to that program in California.
__________________
Ha! My eyebags ain't Gucci but can sure fit Schwartz, Nelsons, and Williams in em!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-20-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to mavreen8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysogeny View Post
Hi Mavs,

Really sorry to reply just now. Was busy during the past months. Yes I applied online, and mailed my application through fed-ex. It had the stuff like LiveScan fingerprints, Forms L1, L2, L5. I paid the application fee also. Expect to pay around $600+ all in all (application fee plus documents). But I haven't sent in the USMLE transcripts from ECFMG and FSMB.

The thing is, I applied only in August 2013. Then I applied for only 5 programs in California. And so far I have only received one interview from that state. So I plan to complete my application (i.e, send in the transcripts) only until I make sure that I match to that program in California.
Hey lysogeny! How's everything goin? Thanks for the reply. So the online application would give you the PTAL already even though you havent sent the USMLE transcripts from ECFMG and FSMB? And, you can apply to the programs in california even though youre application is not yet complete? hope to hear again from you.
__________________
-mavsMD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-21-2014
lysogeny's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 57
Threads: 6
Thanked 40 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavreen8 View Post
Hey lysogeny! How's everything goin? Thanks for the reply. So the online application would give you the PTAL already even though you havent sent the USMLE transcripts from ECFMG and FSMB? And, you can apply to the programs in california even though youre application is not yet complete? hope to hear again from you.
I talked to the PC from the program I interviewed in, she said as long as they see the receipt that you actually applied for the PTAL (which you get after the online payment), it's fine for them. That means you'll get the letter sooner or later anyway. Even one of their current residents hasn't received the PTAL yet, but he applied long ago. But she may be speaking for only their program, not CA programs in general.

I got the idea from an applicant in another forum, where he said he completed his PTAL application before September application: he sent in the LiveScan fingerprints, L forms, ECFMG / FSMB transcripts, etc. The only he didn't do was pay for the application fee. He received some sort of notice from the MBC (Med Board of CA) that his application is complete and that they are awaiting his payment for him to receive the PTAL. He used that notice as temporary PTAL in his September applications. Since he didn't get any interview invites from CA, he ended up saving his ~$490 application instead.

I felt pressured to pay because when I was finally able to reach one of the PTAL help desks, they said they wouldn't process my application unless they got the online payment. So I guess it depends who you talk to in PTAL or who processes your application. You get assigned an "adviser" alphabetically.

Best of luck!
__________________
Ha! My eyebags ain't Gucci but can sure fit Schwartz, Nelsons, and Williams in em!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mavreen8 (01-22-2014)
  #11  
Old 01-22-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to mavreen8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysogeny View Post
I talked to the PC from the program I interviewed in, she said as long as they see the receipt that you actually applied for the PTAL (which you get after the online payment), it's fine for them. That means you'll get the letter sooner or later anyway. Even one of their current residents hasn't received the PTAL yet, but he applied long ago. But she may be speaking for only their program, not CA programs in general.

I got the idea from an applicant in another forum, where he said he completed his PTAL application before September application: he sent in the LiveScan fingerprints, L forms, ECFMG / FSMB transcripts, etc. The only he didn't do was pay for the application fee. He received some sort of notice from the MBC (Med Board of CA) that his application is complete and that they are awaiting his payment for him to receive the PTAL. He used that notice as temporary PTAL in his September applications. Since he didn't get any interview invites from CA, he ended up saving his ~$490 application instead.

I felt pressured to pay because when I was finally able to reach one of the PTAL help desks, they said they wouldn't process my application unless they got the online payment. So I guess it depends who you talk to in PTAL or who processes your application. You get assigned an "adviser" alphabetically.

Best of luck!
Hey lysogeny, thanks for the great info. Now i know that ill be able to apply in california programs. How's the match so far? Anyway, where did u include the PTAL receipt? Is that the one youscanned as the "california letter" part of the ERAS application? Did u submit ur USMLE transcripts to the medical board before u got the interview?
One more thing, Did u have any observerships and LORs from US MDs?
Thanks!
__________________
-mavsMD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 01-23-2014
lysogeny's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 57
Threads: 6
Thanked 40 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavreen8 View Post
Hey lysogeny, thanks for the great info. Now i know that ill be able to apply in california programs. How's the match so far? Anyway, where did u include the PTAL receipt? Is that the one youscanned as the "california letter" part of the ERAS application? Did u submit ur USMLE transcripts to the medical board before u got the interview?
One more thing, Did u have any observerships and LORs from US MDs?
Thanks!
Yes I scanned it for the "California Letter" part of the ERAS application. No, not scanned, since they email it anyway, so I just attached that file.

No, as of time being, I haven't submitted my transcripts, hehe. I've submitted everything except ECFMG and FSMB transcripts.

I had two observerships... and thus 2 US LORs, one from the specialty I am applying in, and one from a doctor from a different specialty which I still used.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Ha! My eyebags ain't Gucci but can sure fit Schwartz, Nelsons, and Williams in em!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 01-23-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to mavreen8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysogeny View Post
Yes I scanned it for the "California Letter" part of the ERAS application. No, not scanned, since they email it anyway, so I just attached that file.

No, as of time being, I haven't submitted my transcripts, hehe. I've submitted everything except ECFMG and FSMB transcripts.

I had two observerships... and thus 2 US LORs, one from the specialty I am applying in, and one from a doctor from a different specialty which I still used.

Hope this helps.
Hey lysogeny! Thank you for all the info. You've been very helpful. Best of luck to the match...
__________________
-mavsMD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
California-Letter-, Philippines-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PTAL without SSN? mikx99 IMG Residency Match Forum 12 10-13-2015 03:41 PM
IMG from the Philippines laarnijoy IMG/FMG Forum 9 07-24-2012 09:54 AM
Ptal ?? USMLE-Syndrome USCE & Clinical Rotations 0 11-14-2011 11:38 PM
Looking for USMLE Step 1 study partner in manila/philippines DrJaY USMLE Step 1 Study Partners 0 03-01-2010 10:18 AM
Applied to 150 programs frera IMG Residency Match Forum 4 09-02-2009 10:47 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)