Chance for my friend (ph.d)? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 19
Threads: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default Chance for my friend (ph.d)?

Hi

My friend will apply this year. Can anyone evaluate his chances.

IMG/ MBBS 2000 / ph.d from a famous school in us 2007
238/236/ cs pass /all first attempts
Good publication record, dozens of abstracts/ poster/ oral presentation.
Currently he is a postdoc in Harvard.
Recommendation letter from current mentor (surgeon), one pathologist, one anesthesiologist, all from Harvard.
Green card
Will apply for anesthesia, pathology

Can anyone give some comments. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 09-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 75 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddinge View Post
Hi

My friend will apply this year. Can anyone evaluate his chances.

IMG/ MBBS 2000 / ph.d from a famous school in us 2007
238/236/ cs pass /all first attempts
Good publication record, dozens of abstracts/ poster/ oral presentation.
Currently he is a postdoc in Harvard.
Recommendation letter from current mentor (surgeon), one pathologist, one anesthesiologist, all from Harvard.
Green card
Will apply for anesthesia, pathology

Can anyone give some comments. Thanks
Lol, are you trolling or what?
Compare to the rest of IMG population, I'm sure his chance is really high, considering his PhD is from US, good board scores, no visa issues etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
huddinge (09-01-2013), Tonsil (09-01-2013)
  #3  
Old 09-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 140
Threads: 5
Thanked 139 Times in 63 Posts
Reputation: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddinge View Post
Hi

My friend will apply this year. Can anyone evaluate his chances.

IMG/ MBBS 2000 / ph.d from a famous school in us 2007
238/236/ cs pass /all first attempts
Good publication record, dozens of abstracts/ poster/ oral presentation.
Currently he is a postdoc in Harvard.
Recommendation letter from current mentor (surgeon), one pathologist, one anesthesiologist, all from Harvard.
Green card
Will apply for anesthesia, pathology

Can anyone give some comments. Thanks
I suppose the significant issue (if it is the case) is that he may not have practiced medicine for some time. Was his PhD done concurrently with clinical work or was it full time? Same question regarding his postdoc.

So... despite an impressive educational record, the main question he needs to address is when did he last practice medicine (given that he graduated in 2000).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
huddinge (09-01-2013)
  #4  
Old 09-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 19
Threads: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

I am serious. No trolling here.

But lots of persons say that year of graduation is no.1 important factor, isn't t it ?

I heard people who had this similar background only got a couple of Interviews last year. So it is scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 75 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmleire View Post
I suppose the significant issue (if it is the case) is that he may not have practiced medicine for some time. Was his PhD done concurrently with clinical work or was it full time? Same question regarding his postdoc.

So... despite an impressive educational record, the main question he needs to address is when did he last practice medicine (given that he graduated in 2000).
That fact might hurt him a little bit. Well even if that's the case the power of connection is really immense. Given that he has been in medical communities for more than a decade, he should have tons and tons of connection who can pull some strings to help him. Hell, there are people with barely passing score who get into super competitive field due to connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
huddinge (09-01-2013)
  #6  
Old 09-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 75 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddinge View Post
I am serious. No trolling here.

But lots of persons say that year of graduation is no.1 important factor, isn't t it ?

I heard people who had this similar background only got a couple of Interviews last year. So it is scared.
Even from a NRMP survey of PD, the no.1 factor is almost always step 1 score. But then again, connection can really help you big time. I mean, what is the best way to truly know one person capability aside from experience of working together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
huddinge (09-01-2013)
  #7  
Old 09-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 19
Threads: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Yes he is a full time researcher. (Both in ph.d and postdoc)
No usce. He only did some observership and shadow some doctors in Harvard.

Based on the these, how much chances he would get in anesthesia or pathology ?

Thanks


QUOTE=usmleire;212422]I suppose the significant issue (if it is the case) is that he may not have practiced medicine for some time. Was his PhD done concurrently with clinical work or was it full time? Same question regarding his postdoc.

So... despite an impressive educational record, the main question he needs to address is when did he last practice medicine (given that he graduated in 2000).[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 140
Threads: 5
Thanked 139 Times in 63 Posts
Reputation: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddinge View Post
Yes he is a full time researcher. (Both in ph.d and postdoc)
No usce. He only did some observership and shadow some doctors in Harvard.

Based on the these, how much chances he would get in anesthesia or pathology ?

Thanks

I'm only speculating here, but I think it's going to be tough given that he hasn't practiced medicine for what, about ~10 years?

I have a somewhat similar background to your friend, but I did my research first and just graduated from med school this year.

Here's my take on the whole research experience thing:
Having an extensive research background like your friend or I doesn't qualify you to do anything special. At the end of the day, all it demonstrates is that you have engaged in scholarly activities and have experience in something that will likely crop up again in your residency and beyond (cue up the whole translational medicine speech!).

In applying to a residency program, the overarching priority for the selection committee is trying to assess your abilities as a physician. PhDs and the like are just gravy.

Last edited by usmleire; 09-01-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
huddinge (09-01-2013)
  #9  
Old 09-01-2013
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 165
Threads: 8
Thanked 75 Times in 54 Posts
Reputation: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmleire View Post


I'm only speculating here, but I think it's going to be tough given that he hasn't practiced medicine for what, about ~10 years?

I have a somewhat similar background to your friend, but I did my research first and just graduated from med school this year.

Here's my take on the whole research experience thing:
Having an extensive research background like your friend or I doesn't qualify you to do anything special. At the end of the day, all it demonstrates is that you have engaged in scholarly activities and have experience in something that will likely crop up again in your residency and beyond (cue up the whole translational medicine speech!).

In applying to a residency program, the overarching priority for the selection committee is trying to assess your abilities as a physician. PhDs and the like are just gravy.
I have seen your credential usmleire, it's really awesome

I'm also going to apply for this year match, so take my words with a grain of salt of course. My advice is based on several books I read about match, and medical training in US.

It is indeed true that clinical activity is regarded far more superior than research activity in general, and a lot of programs do have filter regarding the year of graduation. If you get filtered, no matter how stellar your application is, it won't get looked. In general he should apply very broadly to programs with no YOG cut-off.

However, having a connection that can bring your application to PD can change the whole game. Yes, they are looking for good physician, but the responsibility of teaching and training the skills required to practice medicine also mostly lies in the programs hand. They are ultimately looking people who are "trainable".

So my final verdict is, does he have people who can help bring and vouch for him to PD? if yes, he has an awesome chance. If no, he has a disadvantage there, try to do clinical works while waiting for the match, and try to apply broadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
huddinge (09-01-2013), usmleire (09-02-2013)
  #10  
Old 09-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 19
Threads: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Thanks everyone here

based on my friend's background, is it relatively easy to get into pathology program ?

Fro anesthesia, if he is really flexible, (location, university/community program) and current boss (surgeon) is helpful, can he get more than 5-6 Interviews ?

Thanks again



Quote:
Originally Posted by tramps View Post
I have seen your credential usmleire, it's really awesome

I'm also going to apply for this year match, so take my words with a grain of salt of course. My advice is based on several books I read about match, and medical training in US.

It is indeed true that clinical activity is regarded far more superior than research activity in general, and a lot of programs do have filter regarding the year of graduation. If you get filtered, no matter how stellar your application is, it won't get looked. In general he should apply very broadly to programs with no YOG cut-off.

However, having a connection that can bring your application to PD can change the whole game. Yes, they are looking for good physician, but the responsibility of teaching and training the skills required to practice medicine also mostly lies in the programs hand. They are ultimately looking people who are "trainable".

So my final verdict is, does he have people who can help bring and vouch for him to PD? if yes, he has an awesome chance. If no, he has a disadvantage there, try to do clinical works while waiting for the match, and try to apply broadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Friend needs Help with his PEDS ROL shima IMG Residency Match Forum 1 02-19-2013 03:54 PM
Should my friend accept the Staten Island Hospital Prematch! ehtisham IMG Residency Match Forum 1 10-24-2012 01:38 PM
Staying for one month with a friend! block IMG Visa Issues 5 01-25-2012 03:23 PM
Can I share the NBME with my friend? evavar USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 11-15-2010 02:03 PM
Unhealing Fistula Causes: FRIEND Mnemonic atr88 USMLE Step 2 CK Mnemonics 1 07-18-2010 11:56 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)