When to start replying to the invitation? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 62
Threads: 15
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Question When to start replying to the invitation?

Since people have started getting invitations for interviews, I am sure you are considering to set up a date to actually go to the program for the interview. If so, how are you choosing the dates; waiting for all invitees and then setting up the dates or just choosing them as them come.

I know the smart thing would be to to line them up in one state so you don't have to go back and forth to the area but with how these invites are coming that seems difficult.

So basically I wanted to ask after one gets the invitee how long after do you email them back requesting for a specific date?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
Since people have started getting invitations for interviews, I am sure you are considering to set up a date to actually go to the program for the interview. If so, how are you choosing the dates; waiting for all invitees and then setting up the dates or just choosing them as them come.

I know the smart thing would be to to line them up in one state so you don't have to go back and forth to the area but with how these invites are coming that seems difficult.

So basically I wanted to ask after one gets the invitee how long after do you email them back requesting for a specific date?

Thank You
That is the opposite of the smart thing to do.

Book your interviews as soon as you get them. Programs tend to "over invite" candidates, and thus you might not even get an interview date if you wait too long. Book asap, then if you get something in another program close by, you can ask them if they can accommodate.
__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drssbaz (09-20-2013)
  #3  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 62
Threads: 15
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree to some extent but with programs that pre-match or those that participate in the normal match taking those two into consideration I think it becomes more difficult then that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I agree to some extent but with programs that pre-match or those that participate in the normal match taking those two into consideration I think it becomes more difficult then that?
Not sure what you're trying to say...
__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 62
Threads: 15
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelMD View Post
Not sure what you're trying to say...
For example, their is pre-match program(one you really don't want but its better than nothing) you go for the interview which you set up early on but you have lets say 7 more interviews left. If they were to give you the pre-match you would be in a dilemma? So wouldn't it be better to set the pre match interview in the middle somewhere where you have gone to some program before hand and have some left after. This goes against your idea of going to the interview on the first day or early as possible, does it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
For example, their is pre-match program(one you really don't want but its better than nothing) you go for the interview which you set up early on but you have lets say 7 more interviews left. If they were to give you the pre-match you would be in a dilemma? So wouldn't it be better to set the pre match interview in the middle somewhere where you have gone to some program before hand and have some left after. This goes against your idea of going to the interview on the first day or early as possible, does it not?
That's not what I was suggesting. I was suggesting replying to the offer and selecting the latest available date they have depending on your program preference.
__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
catch22 (09-20-2013)
  #7  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 62
Threads: 15
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

I kind of understand, It just hard to to predict so many variables.

I will take your advice of replying early and setting up a date and for that advice I Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 852 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
I kind of understand, It just hard to to predict so many variables.

I will take your advice of replying early and setting up a date and for that advice I Thank You.
You're welcome!

You're right.. it is hard to predict variables.. but you need to prepare for the worst possible outcome, and that is imaging you only have that 1 IV, so you need to do everything you can do secure a date & prevent being wait-listed.
__________________
PGY-3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-20-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 75
Threads: 3
Thanked 87 Times in 34 Posts
Reputation: 97
Default

I agree with the above comments to pick the date ASAP when the email comes out. I got an email from Reading Health System and I went to the library and chose the date.

When that same evening I went home to see what other dates were available, almost all the dates were full for Nov, Dec and early Jan. Very few 1-2 dates were available. STUNNED!!!

So, when the email comes, just jump on it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Match-Interviews, Program-Communication-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When to reply to interview invitation? getresidency IMG Residency Match Forum 7 10-02-2014 07:48 PM
Interview Invitation; Which Track? alanine40 IMG Residency Match Forum 3 10-25-2012 04:22 PM
Replying to an Interview Invitation meanmr.mustard IMG Residency Match Forum 3 10-03-2012 03:45 AM
The IV invitation season is over medicine IMG Residency Match Forum 2 12-24-2011 11:16 PM
when to expect result and why ecfmg not replying to email after 17 days also priya1 USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 08-16-2011 07:10 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)