Old IMGs Match Experiences - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 23
Threads: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Group talk Old IMGs Match Experiences

hi,

i am an old img who has applied for match this year..

are there other people with a similar application profile as mine..we can share our experiences..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 10-11-2013
betiomom's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 129
Threads: 1
Thanked 105 Times in 50 Posts
Reputation: 115
Default Old IMG

I graduated in 2007, no Iv 3 rejections and 2 acknoledgements, I am also thinking i will have to apply next year, get more experience and pass step 3 with better score
__________________
Let's keep praying
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drzamzam (12-02-2013), Oldgradandmom (12-17-2013)
  #3  
Old 10-11-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 78
Threads: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by betiomom View Post
I graduated in 2007, no Iv 3 rejections and 2 acknoledgements, I am also thinking i will have to apply next year, get more experience and pass step 3 with better score
What specialties do you apply to? Your profiles are not bad at all for IM or FM. I have not got any IV, either and it is understandable with my credentials But let's keep our spirit up!
__________________
204/227/CS(1)/2007/J1/PhD in Epidemiology/5 months US observership/ 4 US LORs/Applied to 80 FM programs only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 10-11-2013
betiomom's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 129
Threads: 1
Thanked 105 Times in 50 Posts
Reputation: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuananhbsdk View Post
What specialties do you apply to? Your profiles are not bad at all for IM or FM. I have not got any IV, either and it is understandable with my credentials But let's keep our spirit up!
I applied to IM and FM total of 90 something, and some of pediatrics and pathology just cause somebody told me i might have a chance there.... but altoghether applied to 111 diferent programs, i have an understanding that YOG is REALLY BAD, and average scores don't help me that much, so i might need more experience, i think your PHD gives you and edge too. did you have rejections yet?
__________________
Let's keep praying
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doctoratul2k (10-31-2013)
  #5  
Old 10-11-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 70
Threads: 1
Thanked 129 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 139
Default I'm old IMG too

I'm an old IMG too. YOG 2004

Our long ago YOG is dragging us down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-11-2013
DrAGA's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 342
Threads: 47
Thanked 148 Times in 85 Posts
Reputation: 158
Default

hi guys
i am also old IMG 2007..have done residency program in home country will apply for next year,,i have low step 1 score hope to get high on ck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-11-2013
betiomom's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 129
Threads: 1
Thanked 105 Times in 50 Posts
Reputation: 115
Default I Got an IV!!!

Finally!!!!!!!!!! I apllied in oct 5, I have my first interview at University of Texas Health Sciences Center in San Antonio TEXAS!!! Family medicine, I am beyond happy.

Maybe a friend pulled a string

Congratulations to all of you with IV, and good luck for everyone!!
__________________
Let's keep praying
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
lizard (08-24-2016), Oldgradandmom (11-12-2013), tamta (10-12-2013)
  #8  
Old 10-11-2013
DrAGA's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 342
Threads: 47
Thanked 148 Times in 85 Posts
Reputation: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by betiomom View Post
Finally!!!!!!!!!! I apllied in oct 5, I have my first interview at University of Texas Health Sciences Center in San Antonio TEXAS!!! Family medicine, I am beyond happy.

Maybe a friend pulled a string

Congratulations to all of you with IV, and good luck for everyone!!
congratulation!best of luck in iv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
betiomom (10-11-2013), tamta (10-12-2013)
  #9  
Old 10-12-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 957
Threads: 28
Thanked 1,407 Times in 517 Posts
Reputation: 1417
Default

Good luck, cant believe 2007 is called old . Cmon we re not yet that old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
betiomom (10-13-2013), KovachMarina (10-29-2013), lizard (10-24-2016)
  #10  
Old 10-12-2013
DrAGA's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 342
Threads: 47
Thanked 148 Times in 85 Posts
Reputation: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamta View Post
Good luck, cant believe 2007 is called old . Cmon we re not yet that old
Wanna believe that!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tamta (10-13-2013)
  #11  
Old 10-13-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 957
Threads: 28
Thanked 1,407 Times in 517 Posts
Reputation: 1417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAGA View Post
Wanna believe that!!!
Well we are old compared to so many fresh applicants, but its not a news. Need to go step by step. Betimom got an iv. Thats encouraging. So lets go step by step. Hope to match in 2015
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 10-29-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 11
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default helo

i am also old grad. can u say anyone that MRCP(UK) will help for residency
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 10-29-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 70
Threads: 1
Thanked 129 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 139
Default 2nd IV - JFK new jersey

Finally after a long list of rejections, I received today at around 4:30 pm EST my 2nd IV. It's an FM program at JFK Medical Center in Edison, NJ.

My first IV was a peds program at Mt Sinai in Chicago which I received on first wk of October.

There is indeed still hope for old IMGs like me with low step 1 score.

My excellent academic records and US LOR are probably helping out negate my low step 1 score and old IMG status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Oldgradandmom (12-17-2013), tamta (11-01-2013)
  #14  
Old 10-31-2013
betiomom's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 129
Threads: 1
Thanked 105 Times in 50 Posts
Reputation: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTdoc View Post
Finally after a long list of rejections, I received today at around 4:30 pm EST my 2nd IV. It's an FM program at JFK Medical Center in Edison, NJ.

My first IV was a peds program at Mt Sinai in Chicago which I received on first wk of October.

There is indeed still hope for old IMGs like me with low step 1 score.

My excellent academic records and US LOR are probably helping out negate my low step 1 score and old IMG status.
Congratulations!! i wish you all the best
__________________
Let's keep praying
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
HOTdoc (11-01-2013), tamta (11-01-2013)
  #15  
Old 11-01-2013
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 957
Threads: 28
Thanked 1,407 Times in 517 Posts
Reputation: 1417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTdoc View Post
Finally after a long list of rejections, I received today at around 4:30 pm EST my 2nd IV. It's an FM program at JFK Medical Center in Edison, NJ.

My first IV was a peds program at Mt Sinai in Chicago which I received on first wk of October.

There is indeed still hope for old IMGs like me with low step 1 score.

My excellent academic records and US LOR are probably helping out negate my low step 1 score and old IMG status.
There are lot of us behind you, go show them mature attitude to medicine and relationship skills. Congratulations and Good luck.. This really helps my doubts about being old and hopeless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
betiomom (11-01-2013), HOTdoc (11-01-2013)



  #16  
Old 11-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 48
Threads: 7
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTdoc View Post
Finally after a long list of rejections, I received today at around 4:30 pm EST my 2nd IV. It's an FM program at JFK Medical Center in Edison, NJ.

My first IV was a peds program at Mt Sinai in Chicago which I received on first wk of October.

There is indeed still hope for old IMGs like me with low step 1 score.

My excellent academic records and US LOR are probably helping out negate my low step 1 score and old IMG status.


You go HOTDOC!!!

So happy for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
HOTdoc (11-01-2013)
  #17  
Old 11-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 70
Threads: 1
Thanked 129 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 139
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer20 View Post
You go HOTDOC!!!

So happy for you!
thanks a lot summer20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
summer20 (11-05-2013)
  #18  
Old 11-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 70
Threads: 1
Thanked 129 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamta View Post
There are lot of us behind you, go show them mature attitude to medicine and relationship skills. Congratulations and Good luck.. This really helps my doubts about being old and hopeless
thanks a lot tamta.

will do...hope to change programs' prejudices against old IMGs like us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
betiomom (11-01-2013), tamta (11-01-2013)
  #19  
Old 11-01-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 70
Threads: 1
Thanked 129 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by betiomom View Post
Congratulations!! i wish you all the best
thank you betiomom...i hope we all get more IVs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
betiomom (11-01-2013)
  #20  
Old 11-26-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 70
Threads: 1
Thanked 129 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 139
Default 3rd IV

just received my 3rd Iv today

just keeping the spirit up!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Oldgradandmom (12-17-2013), tamta (02-09-2014)
  #21  
Old 02-09-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 71
Threads: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Excellent work guys
In same boat YOG 2009
Keep it up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 02-09-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 70
Threads: 1
Thanked 129 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 139
Default

Lets all post here if we are lucky enough on match day! Hope to hear from you guys on march 17 and 21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tamta (02-09-2014)
  #23  
Old 02-09-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 957
Threads: 28
Thanked 1,407 Times in 517 Posts
Reputation: 1417
Default

Great job guys!!

please post your match experiences!

you are not alone!!

and please if you could share list of programs that don't have 5 year graduation cutoff. In pediatrics, and family medicine, also internal. any peace of info would be so helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 02-10-2014
betiomom's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 129
Threads: 1
Thanked 105 Times in 50 Posts
Reputation: 115
Default

@Tamta, I dont know about 5 year cut, I got matcharesident list, and I used it as a START on my search, but, I applied to mainly texas and most FM programs seem to give preference to the people that lives in the state, so I applied to pretty much 70% of all texas programs regardless of the requirements,( i left out those which seem impossible like only have AMG or said directly they required a year of experience or to do observership with them or something) out of those I checked requirements after I got the interview and one said they had the 5 year cut, but they called me anyway ( graduated 2007), what I am trying to say is beyond the requirements in their web page or match a resident be smart and study the program do you have something to offer to them?? in my case I applied places with a lot of spanish population and spanish doctors since I am latin, and of course if they had IMG regardless of where they are from, I sent email before applying to those I REALLY wanted, saying why I loved the program and saying my basic info, (YOG,scores etc) maybe 10 emails, I got 1 IV out of those emails, what I know now after IVs and talking to people involve in the process is that those emails and phone calls BEFORE the application matters, and I heard a lot of applicants did observership in those programs, got in just by emailing people in those programs, residents, PC, or PD and they emailed or called more than once, so I wish I would have done that, finally I can tell you I got IVs in :
FM: texas tech odessa, and El Paso, UT San Antonio, LSU
IM: Mercy st vincent toledo Ohio.

In those IV what seemed to me people liked about my profile was my letters of recomendations (doctors from US who really liked me) that I speak spanish, that I had experience even if it was in another country,(if you can talk about it somewhere in the conversation do it, sell it)that I lived close by or had relatives close by the hospitals, someone mention I am mature and a good listener and that "go get it" attitude, and good grades I never failed a step(average grades actually, but they said they were good, so I don't know) Anyway those things I think mattered for me getting IVs, from there, I hope I match but still very unsure I will let you all know after is over, right now I am so glad I can put away my suit and bussiness handbag!!! Wish all the best!!
__________________
Let's keep praying
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
AIR1 (02-16-2014), Cubandoc (09-15-2015), lizard (08-24-2016), MedicalExaminer (02-10-2014), Oldgradandmom (02-10-2014), tamta (02-10-2014), water (05-19-2014)
  #25  
Old 02-10-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 957
Threads: 28
Thanked 1,407 Times in 517 Posts
Reputation: 1417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by betiomom View Post
@Tamta, I dont know about 5 year cut, I got matcharesident list, and I used it as a START on my search, but, I applied to mainly texas and most FM programs seem to give preference to the people that lives in the state, so I applied to pretty much 70% of all texas programs regardless of the requirements,( i left out those which seem impossible like only have AMG or said directly they required a year of experience or to do observership with them or something) out of those I checked requirements after I got the interview and one said they had the 5 year cut, but they called me anyway ( graduated 2007), what I am trying to say is beyond the requirements in their web page or match a resident be smart and study the program do you have something to offer to them?? in my case I applied places with a lot of spanish population and spanish doctors since I am latin, and of course if they had IMG regardless of where they are from, I sent email before applying to those I REALLY wanted, saying why I loved the program and saying my basic info, (YOG,scores etc) maybe 10 emails, I got 1 IV out of those emails, what I know now after IVs and talking to people involve in the process is that those emails and phone calls BEFORE the application matters, and I heard a lot of applicants did observership in those programs, got in just by emailing people in those programs, residents, PC, or PD and they emailed or called more than once, so I wish I would have done that, finally I can tell you I got IVs in :
FM: texas tech odessa, and El Paso, UT San Antonio, LSU
IM: Mercy st vincent toledo Ohio.

In those IV what seemed to me people liked about my profile was my letters of recomendations (doctors from US who really liked me) that I speak spanish, that I had experience even if it was in another country,(if you can talk about it somewhere in the conversation do it, sell it)that I lived close by or had relatives close by the hospitals, someone mention I am mature and a good listener and that "go get it" attitude, and good grades I never failed a step(average grades actually, but they said they were good, so I don't know) Anyway those things I think mattered for me getting IVs, from there, I hope I match but still very unsure I will let you all know after is over, right now I am so glad I can put away my suit and bussiness handbag!!! Wish all the best!!

Thank you so much for your time!!! this will help me a lot.
So about calling and emailing programs i guess i can start that once i am all ready with recommendations and clinical experiences right? and this shold be in late summer july. I have question where to start looking for programs and there requirements i know it is early but i want to be familiar where and what to look for. can i start this procces withour completing ERAS? I mean can i just find out somewhere programs and their descriptions. just if you could give me link . Matcharesident.com this is where i can start right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 02-10-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 957
Threads: 28
Thanked 1,407 Times in 517 Posts
Reputation: 1417
Default

one more question. this site gives me access to all specialties for 300 $ and just one like pediatrics for 79$. is it worth it and should this be my source for searching programs or any other site, or any other way to find programs. google word or something. for example i am interested in pediatrics how should i search programs. sorry i may sound very silly but i really need help. It is early but i have to have everything prepared for application and i have long way to go with CS and to find observships and do them, and this i need to do together with two kids, in US. im not as scared as just gathering info and dont know where to start. thanks for your help. and i guess i should take my spanish study more seriously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 02-10-2014
betiomom's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 129
Threads: 1
Thanked 105 Times in 50 Posts
Reputation: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamta View Post
one more question. this site gives me access to all specialties for 300 $ and just one like pediatrics for 79$. is it worth it and should this be my source for searching programs or any other site, or any other way to find programs. google word or something. for example i am interested in pediatrics how should i search programs. sorry i may sound very silly but i really need help. It is early but i have to have everything prepared for application and i have long way to go with CS and to find observships and do them, and this i need to do together with two kids, in US. im not as scared as just gathering info and dont know where to start. thanks for your help. and i guess i should take my spanish study more seriously
Lol I get it i wish i had started this early, i am on the road but I will stay in touch I have kids too!!! And will b happy to help, match a resident worked for me, cause i had the money, kinda speed the process, but u can start in freida, google it is the official page of all available residencys, and from there u can visit the pages of the residencies u are interested on, calling programs yes around july
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Oldgradandmom (02-10-2014)



Reply

Tags
Match-2014, Match-Experiences, Old-Grads

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Match 2015, No IMGs water IMG Residency Match Forum 22 10-05-2014 09:53 AM
The reason why IMGs did not match? swwal IMG Residency Match Forum 15 05-03-2013 08:38 AM
better match for imgs this year!! dhanvanthri80 IMG Residency Match Forum 2 03-17-2013 07:00 PM
Why Do IMGs Fail to match in Peds? add1 IMG Residency Match Forum 3 03-14-2012 03:05 PM
Match Experiences b.abid IMG Residency Match Forum 2 04-25-2011 02:58 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)