Interviews with a step 1 below 200 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 23
Threads: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default Interviews with a step 1 below 200

Hey guys
I wanted to know if people got interviews this season with a usmle step 1 below 200.
Really bummed about my score.
Need some motivation.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 02-23-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 99
Threads: 42
Thanked 131 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 149
Default I did!

I felt great in my interviews even though my step 1 score is pathetic. Only one person asked my score (187) and said it didnt matter as long as I passed on the first attempt. Im in the Match for this year for psych and I am pretty confident Ill match. I have other good things going for me in my CV and I was very intense and aggressive to score some interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
betiomom (02-24-2014), doc18 (02-24-2014), dr.e.m (02-25-2014), dr.Zh (02-28-2014), Eshazz (02-23-2014), Peds_res (02-25-2014), Tony Stark (12-23-2015)
  #3  
Old 02-23-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 148
Threads: 40
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

haiii patonow...

can u please say me how many IV did you get,,and how many months clerkship programs did you do..!!

kindly waiting fpr your reply....!
THANKS IN ADVANCE..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-24-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 42
Threads: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Hi I am in the same situation and would like to know what do I need in my cv to overshadow the step 1 score! Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-25-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 80
Threads: 12
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonow View Post
I felt great in my interviews even though my step 1 score is pathetic. Only one person asked my score (187) and said it didnt matter as long as I passed on the first attempt. Im in the Match for this year for psych and I am pretty confident Ill match. I have other good things going for me in my CV and I was very intense and aggressive to score some interviews.
Hi thats something positive for a change! Could you please share details of your application...how did you improve on your CV, what all did you do? Thanks in advance... N wish you good luck for the match!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
patonow (02-28-2014)
  #6  
Old 02-25-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 17
Threads: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

I had a 210 score which I took back in 2009. This score is considered to be below 200 in today's standard. I'm matching IM this year and I had 8 IVs. My situation is very unique because I didn't have my CK until mid-November and CS until Dec 2, but I in the end I still managed to get 8 IVs. If I had my scores in before September 15, I would probably score more than 10 IVs as did my friend.

So don't give up!!! A bad score does lower your chance of getting IVs, but a good package will make up for that. I did an MPH after my step 1 (Ivy league), and stayed as a research fellow and had 3 first-author publications so far. I think that's what got me the IVs even without my complete scores.

A good CK score will make up a lot for your bad step 1. Now you know you have a bad step 1 score, so work hard and try to score 240 on your CK. I scored above 230 on my CK with only 2 months prepping while I was a full-time researcher. So it is not impossible but you just need to have faith in yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr_kg (02-25-2014), Peds_res (03-11-2014), Tony Stark (12-23-2015)
  #7  
Old 02-25-2014
dr_kg's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: CS Only
Posts: 333
Threads: 25
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Reputation: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by everjustinxp View Post
I had a 210 score which I took back in 2009. This score is considered to be below 200 in today's standard. I'm matching IM this year and I had 8 IVs. My situation is very unique because I didn't have my CK until mid-November and CS until Dec 2, but I in the end I still managed to get 8 IVs. If I had my scores in before September 15, I would probably score more than 10 IVs as did my friend.

So don't give up!!! A bad score does lower your chance of getting IVs, but a good package will make up for that. I did an MPH after my step 1 (Ivy league), and stayed as a research fellow and had 3 first-author publications so far. I think that's what got me the IVs even without my complete scores.

A good CK score will make up a lot for your bad step 1. Now you know you have a bad step 1 score, so work hard and try to score 240 on your CK. I scored above 230 on my CK with only 2 months prepping while I was a full-time researcher. So it is not impossible but you just need to have faith in yourself.
are you an img or amg?
__________________
Work Smarter...not harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-26-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 17
Threads: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

I'm IMG from Asia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-28-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 99
Threads: 42
Thanked 131 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 149
Wink How Ive done it

Ive been blogging about my experience in patriciaserranomd.wordpress.com

I just finished a new entry about getting into research to improve your CV.

Hope you guys check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
col_slade (02-28-2014), dr.Zh (03-01-2014), Peds_res (03-10-2014)
  #10  
Old 03-01-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 37
Threads: 14
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

How many interviews did you get patonow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 03-01-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 99
Threads: 42
Thanked 131 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 149
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb123 View Post
How many interviews did you get patonow?
5 after I applied to 76 programs in psych
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.Zh (03-01-2014)
  #12  
Old 03-01-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 37
Threads: 14
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonow View Post
5 after I applied to 76 programs in psych
if you don't mind, can you share the programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 03-06-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 99
Threads: 42
Thanked 131 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 149
Default programs

Ive posted all the programs Ive applied to in my blog
patriciaserranomd.wordpress.com if you want to check it out thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb123 View Post
if you don't mind, can you share the programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.Zh (03-06-2014)
  #14  
Old 03-10-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 99
Threads: 42
Thanked 131 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 149
Default

HI!
I got 5 interviews and I did one month of observership in UT and shadowing during the summer (around 2 months) with 2 different doctors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamidi View Post
haiii patonow...

can u please say me how many IV did you get,,and how many months clerkship programs did you do..!!

kindly waiting fpr your reply....!
THANKS IN ADVANCE..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 12-23-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 7
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonow View Post
HI!
I got 5 interviews and I did one month of observership in UT and shadowing during the summer (around 2 months) with 2 different doctors.
I am an IMG with a step 1 score of 196 , any chance i can get a residency ? What are the odds ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message






Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shall I go to the interviews? nahnoha IMG Residency Match Forum 14 09-17-2014 05:27 AM
Why am not getting more interviews? RR00 IMG Residency Match Forum 6 03-06-2014 03:07 PM
No Interviews Yet! raven IMG Residency Match Forum 28 10-22-2013 04:50 PM
I've got 25 Interviews JaJeeK IMG Residency Match Forum 20 02-03-2012 06:49 AM
Did anyone get any interviews yet? add1 IMG Residency Match Forum 0 09-26-2011 11:32 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)