Please answer my question - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-28-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 20
Threads: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default Please answer my question

I'm an international medical student who's looking for a USCE before graduation,. I was wandering what sort of USCE will increase my chances in getting matched in different residency program and it won't reflect my disinterest in a program than the other ,.. For example let's say I wanna have a backup plan if I didn't get matched in GS then I will go for IM,.. I would love to know how,. I mean what USCE will work with different programs (speciality),. I want to get matched in GS,. I already got an offer to do an anesthesia clerkship+ a guaranteed LOR in USA,. Will that help me in GS or not ?! And if it did will it decrease my chances in IM?!,. Please answer me guys cause I posted this before in elective forums but no one replied,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 05-29-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 145
Threads: 4
Thanked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Reputation: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdo2014 View Post
I'm an international medical student who's looking for a USCE before graduation,. I was wandering what sort of USCE will increase my chances in getting matched in different residency program and it won't reflect my disinterest in a program than the other ,.. For example let's say I wanna have a backup plan if I didn't get matched in GS then I will go for IM,.. I would love to know how,. I mean what USCE will work with different programs (speciality),. I want to get matched in GS,. I already got an offer to do an anesthesia clerkship+ a guaranteed LOR in USA,. Will that help me in GS or not ?! And if it did will it decrease my chances in IM?!,. Please answer me guys cause I posted this before in elective forums but no one replied,.
My advice is to focus on one speciality and put all your energy behind it. People who are not sure if they want one or the other usually raise eye brows when their applications are reviewed. i.e a person with LoRs from surgeons applying for an IM categorical is not going to be too appealing. Keep it simple, pick what you want to do and do everything you can to get residency in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abdo2014 (05-31-2014), cearamor (05-29-2014)
  #3  
Old 05-29-2014
cearamor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 223
Threads: 5
Thanked 183 Times in 102 Posts
Reputation: 193
Default

If you are really serious about GS, the most common path is doing a year of transitional/surg. prelim and them apply for a PGY2 categorical spot.. An Anesthesia LOR/USCE will help you of course, but a Surgery LOR/USCE/Research will help you wayyy more..

If you don't want to follow that extremely difficult path, it would be wiser to forget about surgery and focus on the specialty you want, Anesthesia, for instance, is becoming a little bit more accessible to IMGs, and it's ok to apply for anesthesia having IM as a backup because IMGs tend to get <5 invites from anesthesia..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abdo2014 (05-31-2014)
 
  #4  
Old 05-31-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 20
Threads: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsaid View Post
My advice is to focus on one speciality and put all your energy behind it. People who are not sure if they want one or the other usually raise eye brows when their applications are reviewed. i.e a person with LoRs from surgeons applying for an IM categorical is not going to be too appealing. Keep it simple, pick what you want to do and do everything you can to get residency in it.
I'm serious about GS but what if I waste my time for nothing,. Then I'll regret it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-31-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 20
Threads: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearamor View Post
If you are really serious about GS, the most common path is doing a year of transitional/surg. prelim and them apply for a PGY2 categorical spot.. An Anesthesia LOR/USCE will help you of course, but a Surgery LOR/USCE/Research will help you wayyy more..

If you don't want to follow that extremely difficult path, it would be wiser to forget about surgery and focus on the specialty you want, Anesthesia, for instance, is becoming a little bit more accessible to IMGs, and it's ok to apply for anesthesia having IM as a backup because IMGs tend to get <5 invites from anesthesia..
What are my chances if I get if I do a year of transitional surg ? Can I apply for IM after this year if I didn't get GS ? Does anesthesia have a bright future ?! My only interest is In GS but If I don't get it I want to be at least an IM doctor but is it really easy to get in anesthesia ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-31-2014
cearamor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 223
Threads: 5
Thanked 183 Times in 102 Posts
Reputation: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdo2014 View Post
What are my chances if I get if I do a year of transitional surg ? Can I apply for IM after this year if I didn't get GS ? Does anesthesia have a bright future ?! My only interest is In GS but If I don't get it I want to be at least an IM doctor but is it really easy to get in anesthesia ?
This is not easily predictable! Also, bear in mind that IM is getting tougher and tougher.. But yes, a transitional/prelim year in surgery will be viewed as 1yr of legit USCE and will put you in advantage to compete for any other specialty.. However, if you want a solid IM program, you should think about a pretty decent reason to explain why you're changing your specialty, that's why focusing on one specialty is always the best option..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
abdo2014 (06-04-2014)
  #7  
Old 06-04-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 20
Threads: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearamor View Post
This is not easily predictable! Also, bear in mind that IM is getting tougher and tougher.. But yes, a transitional/prelim year in surgery will be viewed as 1yr of legit USCE and will put you in advantage to compete for any other specialty.. However, if you want a solid IM program, you should think about a pretty decent reason to explain why you're changing your specialty, that's why focusing on one specialty is always the best option..
Thank you,. Is my translational year going to be surgical ,. I've read in some websites that it's not specific In a way and you'll do it In general after that you decide where to go,. Is it hard to get a surgical transitional year ?! What are my chances as an img ?! I heard it's more difficult than getting General surgery itself,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-05-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 145
Threads: 4
Thanked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Reputation: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdo2014 View Post
Thank you,. Is my translational year going to be surgical ,. I've read in some websites that it's not specific In a way and you'll do it In general after that you decide where to go,. Is it hard to get a surgical transitional year ?! What are my chances as an img ?! I heard it's more difficult than getting General surgery itself,.
Keep in mind pre-lim Surgery is a notorious dead-end track for IMGs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
cearamor (06-05-2014)
  #9  
Old 06-05-2014
cearamor's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 223
Threads: 5
Thanked 183 Times in 102 Posts
Reputation: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdo2014 View Post
Thank you,. Is my translational year going to be surgical ,. I've read in some websites that it's not specific In a way and you'll do it In general after that you decide where to go,. Is it hard to get a surgical transitional year ?! What are my chances as an img ?! I heard it's more difficult than getting General surgery itself,.
I'm an IM guy, I'm sorry, but I don't know exactly what are your chances, talk to the people who got into GS or take a look at the previous years forums about GS IVs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how are you going to answer the 'what is your weakness' question? Dr.NickRiviera IMG Residency Match Forum 9 12-05-2014 02:54 PM
challenging question ...can you answer it ! dr 2A USMLE Step 2 CS SP Challenges 3 03-06-2013 05:51 PM
Can Someone please answer this question?? add1 IMG Residency Match Forum 10 02-22-2013 04:11 PM
Should answer yes to this question? chulady USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 3 04-06-2011 05:01 PM
Bad question answer? DRFP USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 6 08-25-2010 10:59 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)