is it possible for an IMG to get into Neuro\Cardio surgery? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG Residency Match Forum

IMG Residency Match Forum International Medical Graduates (IMGs) discussing the residency matching process.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-27-2011
drhma's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 193
Threads: 29
Thanked 134 Times in 71 Posts
Reputation: 144
Send a message via MSN to drhma
Question is it possible for an IMG to get into Neuro\Cardio surgery?

greetings everybody...

speaking as an IMG... what are the odds of somebody getting accepted in a neurosurgery application??
they keep telling me that it's only for american citizens.. and since i have no greencard or citizenship.. there is absolutely no chance.. same thing goes for cardio,

what do i need to have\conquer in order to get in such a thing... coz if it means getting 99's or 260+ --> this isn't considered "impossible" or get it out of your head.
im still a newbie at the whole USMLE experience, but studying for a real big reason is way different than just wanting to get an ordinary high score.. any help would be much appreciated, or if anybody knows a person getting matched in it and how they did it,

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 05-28-2011
good_boy_1234's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 546
Threads: 91
Thanked 322 Times in 145 Posts
Reputation: 368
Default

You asked about possibility, yes it is possible!! but the odds are too low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drhma (05-28-2011)
  #3  
Old 05-28-2011
drhma's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 193
Threads: 29
Thanked 134 Times in 71 Posts
Reputation: 144
Send a message via MSN to drhma
Default

sorry to annoy you.. but what is it that's required??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 05-30-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 854 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhma View Post
sorry to annoy you.. but what is it that's required??
They dont have specific requirements but I'd think

- Both Step 1 / 2 Scores 99 >260's
- US LOR's
- USCE

At bare minimum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drhma (05-30-2011), lizard (07-29-2016)
  #5  
Old 05-30-2011
drhma's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 193
Threads: 29
Thanked 134 Times in 71 Posts
Reputation: 144
Send a message via MSN to drhma
Default

thank you, patel
__________________
i'm so bad i make medicine sick,
Imma show you how great i am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-30-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 332
Threads: 48
Thanked 170 Times in 109 Posts
Default

I know a physician from Palestine, he got into neurosurgery. After he got ECFMG certificate, he worked in the OR for a year as a surgical assist, (harvesting veins for cardiovascular bypass, etc) During this year, he applied for the match for the program of the hospital he worked . And he got in. His step I and step II score are not perfect. I think it is his skills and his attitude that impressed the surgeons who recommended him to the director of the program.

So the short answer is: yes, you can! I wish you all the best!!!

Last edited by usluipek; 05-30-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drhma (03-29-2012)
  #7  
Old 03-29-2012
drhma's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 193
Threads: 29
Thanked 134 Times in 71 Posts
Reputation: 144
Send a message via MSN to drhma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usluipek View Post
I know a physician from Palestine, he got into neurosurgery. After he got ECFMG certificate, he worked in the OR for a year as a surgical assist, (harvesting veins for cardiovascular bypass, etc) During this year, he applied for the match for the program of the hospital he worked . And he got in. His step I and step II score are not perfect. I think it is his skills and his attitude that impressed the surgeons who recommended him to the director of the program.

So the short answer is: yes, you can! I wish you all the best!!!

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-29-2012
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 5
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhma View Post
greetings everybody...

speaking as an IMG... what are the odds of somebody getting accepted in a neurosurgery application??
they keep telling me that it's only for american citizens.. and since i have no greencard or citizenship.. there is absolutely no chance.. same thing goes for cardio,

what do i need to have\conquer in order to get in such a thing... coz if it means getting 99's or 260+ --> this isn't considered "impossible" or get it out of your head.
im still a newbie at the whole USMLE experience, but studying for a real big reason is way different than just wanting to get an ordinary high score.. any help would be much appreciated, or if anybody knows a person getting matched in it and how they did it,

thanks in advance
hi , my passion is neurology too and im an img. this topic keeps haunting me too. will research papers published in the related topics help us get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 07-29-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 16
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usluipek View Post
I know a physician from Palestine, he got into neurosurgery. After he got ECFMG certificate, he worked in the OR for a year as a surgical assist, (harvesting veins for cardiovascular bypass, etc) During this year, he applied for the match for the program of the hospital he worked . And he got in. His step I and step II score are not perfect. I think it is his skills and his attitude that impressed the surgeons who recommended him to the director of the program.

So the short answer is: yes, you can! I wish you all the best!!!
bro can u tell me which hospital did he get into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Neurosurgery-Match

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An EKG Cardio Question cool_atomic USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 13 04-02-2012 01:40 PM
cardio case with ECG USMLE-Syndrome USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 7 06-22-2011 01:29 PM
Neuro on Step 1 Hope2Pass USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 02-03-2011 10:30 AM
Molecular Bio and Neuro nvme USMLE Step 1 Forum 5 09-10-2009 10:44 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)