Who here has done clinical rotations and has US experience? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG/FMG Forum > USCE & Clinical Rotations

USCE & Clinical Rotations IMG discussions of United States Clinical Experience (USCE), clinical rotations, clerkships, externships, observerships, electives, and internships.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-09-2012
MzLizMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 56
Threads: 10
Thanked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 49
Cool Who here has done clinical rotations and has US experience?

I am curious, who here has US clinical experience on their belt?

At the moment I am far far away from getting any To busy prepping for the steps atm together with actually doing my school as well .

I am to graduate June 2013, and I am wondering - from your experience and knowledge, will I be able to get my certification done with the ECFMG by September 2013 with getting my degree in June? That is if I get my steps done ofc .

So apart from the q's upon, I wonder... how and when to get some US clinical experience. All I have atm is voulunteer work which I did during my undergrad study in Colorado which is soooo not on hand experience!

:sorry:You have any ideas? How did you solve the "problem" of getting experience?

As always, tyvm for your help
__________________
Life is a journey and I am taking "the steps" on my way
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 03-09-2012
avash.nrs's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 440
Threads: 52
Thanked 258 Times in 153 Posts
Reputation: 268
Default

well i am also a student will graduate in 2014 march..will apply for electives in 2012 for 2013 july august(8 weeks)..for details about it..u can look to this site or umartariq...though a lot of info is not being updated there..but still a gross view is there..recentlymost of the universities are asking for step 1 scores for electives..gl hope it helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
MzLizMD (03-09-2012)
  #3  
Old 03-09-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 642 Times in 407 Posts
Reputation: 652
Default

its not a 'problem'

most students do their step 1 after basic sciences and before clinical rotations.
in fact, its strange to me when I hear people have clinical rotations under their belt and are now studying for step 1, but some programs work that way.
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-09-2012
MzLizMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 56
Threads: 10
Thanked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 49
Arrow Clarification on my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NickRiviera View Post
its not a 'problem'

most students do their step 1 after basic sciences and before clinical rotations.
in fact, its strange to me when I hear people have clinical rotations under their belt and are now studying for step 1, but some programs work that way.
I may not have been clear in my wording, I am wondering about US clinical rotations or hands on experience I am an IMG and am in my clinical years here in Norway, I did not decide upon going back to the US until I started my clinical years, so I am unfortinatly stuck studying for Step 1, while in clinical rotations here However, I would like to find a way and time to get some US experience as well, if not... all my LORs will be "non-US" which I have understood is not a very good thing when trying to get a Residency in the US.
__________________
Life is a journey and I am taking "the steps" on my way
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-09-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 642 Times in 407 Posts
Reputation: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLizMD View Post
I may not have been clear in my wording, I am wondering about US clinical rotations or hands on experience I am an IMG and am in my clinical years here in Norway, I did not decide upon going back to the US until I started my clinical years, so I am unfortinatly stuck studying for Step 1, while in clinical rotations here However, I would like to find a way and time to get some US experience as well, if not... all my LORs will be "non-US" which I have understood is not a very good thing when trying to get a Residency in the US.
oh ok
where in Norway? Oslo? (I have many friends in Oslo)
I've always heard mixed things about whether where you do your rotations plays any role in your residency application.
I'm still not sure what to believe. I'm just going to play it safe and do them in the states after i finish this step.
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
MzLizMD (03-09-2012)
  #6  
Old 03-09-2012
MzLizMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 56
Threads: 10
Thanked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 49
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NickRiviera View Post
oh ok
where in Norway? Oslo? (I have many friends in Oslo)
I've always heard mixed things about whether where you do your rotations plays any role in your residency application.
I'm still not sure what to believe. I'm just going to play it safe and do them in the states after i finish this step.
How far are you in your studies? When do you graduate?

I am in Trondheim, will graduate in 2013. Hopefully I haven't started to late! I plan taking the step 1 in September if I get prepared well enough
__________________
Life is a journey and I am taking "the steps" on my way
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-09-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 642 Times in 407 Posts
Reputation: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLizMD View Post
How far are you in your studies? When do you graduate?

I am in Trondheim, will graduate in 2013. Hopefully I haven't started to late! I plan taking the step 1 in September if I get prepared well enough
i finished basic sciences in May.
I'm about 2,3 months away from giving the test, hopefully first week of June.
I will also graduate in 2013, so if its too late for you then its also too late for me lol.
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Clerkships-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clinical Rotations before step 1? docji USCE & Clinical Rotations 2 04-18-2012 11:43 AM
How many clinical rotations are required? jjsanchezramirez USCE & Clinical Rotations 0 10-26-2011 12:48 PM
KSA Med School Clinical Rotations in USA ZidSab USCE & Clinical Rotations 0 10-01-2011 02:34 PM
Clinical Rotations tima General Topics Forum 2 01-26-2010 11:10 PM
US Clinical rotations jessp687 USCE & Clinical Rotations 1 10-23-2009 01:19 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)