Cornell elective 2016 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG/FMG Forum > USCE & Clinical Rotations

USCE & Clinical Rotations IMG discussions of United States Clinical Experience (USCE), clinical rotations, clerkships, externships, observerships, electives, and internships.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-19-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 19
Threads: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Warning! Cornell elective 2016

Hey! i have been selected to rotate at Cornell in the month of may 2016 in urology!

Please join who ever has been accepeted for the rotation this year! please share your experience and where did u guys stay while at NYPH? how are the surgery attendings?

Please share your experiences and join up so we get an insight and be prepared for the electives
thaaankss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 03-22-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmlemaster View Post
Hey! i have been selected to rotate at Cornell in the month of may 2016 in urology!

Please join who ever has been accepeted for the rotation this year! please share your experience and where did u guys stay while at NYPH? how are the surgery attendings?

Please share your experiences and join up so we get an insight and be prepared for the electives
thaaankss!
Can you send me private msg please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-22-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 49
Threads: 14
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Hi..
Are you a med student or a graduate? I would appreciate your help on how to get such opportunity.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-01-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 26
Threads: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Default

Is Cornell better than Mount Sinai?
Both charge 2000 dollars for a 4 week elective. Can anyone please share his/her experience at either of these places. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-05-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 22
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

I just get reply from Cornell. They said me they are not accepting IMGs anymore for electives. Is that true ?
How are you guys applying over there ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 07-05-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 50
Threads: 16
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Hey did you provide proof of health insurance at the time of application or after acceptance? I'm having a tough time understanding the application paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-10-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhika2210 View Post
Hey did you provide proof of health insurance at the time of application or after acceptance? I'm having a tough time understanding the application paperwork.
How did you make the payment of 300 dollars to Cornell? Did you use the wire transfer method or did you just send in a cheque.
If you made a wire transfer, which account number did you use? They've mentioned two account numbers on that downloadable word document.

One point says, in red font - "Use this account number."
While another point just below says - "Enter the account number for the International Program: 111005."

I am confused, please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 07-10-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv91 View Post
How did you make the payment of 300 dollars to Cornell? Did you use the wire transfer method or did you just send in a cheque.
If you made a wire transfer, which account number did you use? They've mentioned two account numbers on that downloadable word document.

One point says, in red font - "Use this account number."
While another point just below says - "Enter the account number for the International Program: 111005."

I am confused, please help!
One point says, in red font - "Use this account number." USE THIS NUMBER
While another point just below says - "Enter the account number for the International Program: 111005 PUT THIS IN REMARKS/COMMENTS/NOTES


For the account number enter the one in number 3. If it asks you to specify in a further question indicate the number in 6 or include it in the notes section. If you show the instructions to your bank, they will be able to best assist you as each bank has a different procedure. Please consult with someone there before completing the transaction.

Last edited by andygill; 07-10-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Janki (08-19-2016), kv91 (07-10-2016)
  #9  
Old 07-10-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill View Post
One point says, in red font - "Use this account number." USE THIS NUMBER
While another point just below says - "Enter the account number for the International Program: 111005 PUT THIS IN REMARKS/COMMENTS/NOTES


For the account number enter the one in number 3. If it asks you to specify in a further question indicate the number in 6 or include it in the notes section. If you show the instructions to your bank, they will be able to best assist you as each bank has a different procedure. Please consult with someone there before completing the transaction.
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 50
Threads: 16
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv91 View Post
How did you make the payment of 300 dollars to Cornell? Did you use the wire transfer method or did you just send in a cheque.
If you made a wire transfer, which account number did you use? They've mentioned two account numbers on that downloadable word document.

One point says, in red font - "Use this account number."
While another point just below says - "Enter the account number for the International Program: 111005."

I am confused, please help!
I haven't applied yet! What dates are you applying for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhika2210 View Post
I haven't applied yet! What dates are you applying for?
February March and April of 2017. I am hoping to get March. And you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 50
Threads: 16
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv91 View Post
February March and April of 2017. I am hoping to get March. And you?
Jan-March 2017. Hoping for any month at all :P
I'll be sending in my application soon but since my CV sucks i'm no too hopeful :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv91 View Post
February March and April of 2017. I am hoping to get March. And you?
Is it that easy to get into cornell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhika2210 View Post
Jan-March 2017. Hoping for any month at all :P
I'll be sending in my application soon but since my CV sucks i'm no too hopeful :/
Yeah, I am not too hopeful about it either. I am actually stressed about getting into ANY elective at all. I have all my hopes pinned on FIU at the moment. It is probably going to be my fall back position. But if I don't even manage to get that, then I am doomed.
How about you? Which other universities are you applying to?
When are you planning to give your Step 1 assuming you haven't given that already? How are you getting along with studying for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

And do you guys know about when do they usually reply with an acceptance or refusal ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill View Post
And do you guys know about when do they usually reply with an acceptance or refusal ?
Not so sure. I am worried because I don't even know anyone who has managed to get an elective at Cornell. Although it would look amazing on your CV. I had spoken to someone at their office a few days back, and they said that the only criterion they are basing applicants on is their UG marks. How true is that? Has anyone with average or even below average marks and a few extra curricular activities like an ICMR project and some volunteer work, managed to get an elective at Cornell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 50
Threads: 16
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill View Post
And do you guys know about when do they usually reply with an acceptance or refusal ?
Cornell apparently replies only 2 months before the start of the elective. Which is terrible since we may have to give our confirmations to other colleges too :/
It's not at all easy apparently...let's see. no harm in trying, is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv91 View Post
Not so sure. I am worried because I don't even know anyone who has managed to get an elective at Cornell. Although it would look amazing on your CV. I had spoken to someone at their office a few days back, and they said that the only criterion they are basing applicants on is their UG marks. How true is that? Has anyone with average or even below average marks and a few extra curricular activities like an ICMR project and some volunteer work, managed to get an elective at Cornell?
One of my seniors got into cornell early this year but he applied after step 1. His review has also been published there on cornell's website
He told me that most of the other students had not given step 1 so don't worry about that. But the students from other countries like UK, China etc had already done many many research projects, so like compared to them our single ICMR project will not be that much significant.
All we can do is hope for the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhika2210 View Post
Cornell apparently replies only 2 months before the start of the elective. Which is terrible since we may have to give our confirmations to other colleges too :/
It's not at all easy apparently...let's see. no harm in trying, is there?
Yup, I guess.
This is me trying to increase my post count so I can send private messages. Sorry. I am at 13/ 15 I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv91 View Post
Yup, I guess.
This is me trying to increase my post count so I can send private messages. Sorry. I am at 13/ 15 I think.
2 more to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill View Post
One of my seniors got into cornell early this year but he applied after step 1. His review has also been published there on cornell's website
He told me that most of the other students had not given step 1 so don't worry about that. But the students from other countries like UK, China etc had already done many many research projects, so like compared to them our single ICMR project will not be that much significant.
All we can do is hope for the best
Both, things I can't change right now. So yeah. We'll have to wait and watch. Also, Mount Sinai seems much more lenient in that case. Because I have had friend who had not given Step 1 and has no substantial research experience, get an elective there. The applicaiton fee of a thousand dollars is the only deterrent.

Also, one query to both you and Radhika. Why is FIU considered the last option by many for an elective? Is it the mostly Hispanic population there that is going to create communication problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhika2210 View Post
Cornell apparently replies only 2 months before the start of the elective. Which is terrible since we may have to give our confirmations to other colleges too :/
It's not at all easy apparently...let's see. no harm in trying, is there?
ofcourse not :P
This 2 months notification rule really is You can't even finalize your itinerary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill View Post
2 more to go
Last one. Sorry. 15/15
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv91 View Post
Both, things I can't change right now. So yeah. We'll have to wait and watch. Also, Mount Sinai seems much more lenient in that case. Because I have had friend who had not given Step 1 and has no substantial research experience, get an elective there. The applicaiton fee of a thousand dollars is the only deterrent.

Also, one query to both you and Radhika. Why is FIU considered the last option by many for an elective? Is it the mostly Hispanic population there that is going to create communication problems?
Umm in my opinion it may be because:
1) the population there is about 60% hispanic and speak only spanish (keep your google translate handy)
2) Electives mostly take place in a non teaching hospital and/or clinic
3) Electives are mostly outpatient
4) There are no residency positions in the hospital where you rotate (usually but not always) and as most people consider these electives, 'auditions for their residency' so this point is usually considered a big drawback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kv91 (07-11-2016)
  #25  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 50
Threads: 16
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv91 View Post
Both, things I can't change right now. So yeah. We'll have to wait and watch. Also, Mount Sinai seems much more lenient in that case. Because I have had friend who had not given Step 1 and has no substantial research experience, get an elective there. The applicaiton fee of a thousand dollars is the only deterrent.

Also, one query to both you and Radhika. Why is FIU considered the last option by many for an elective? Is it the mostly Hispanic population there that is going to create communication problems?

I would have applied to Mt Sinai but their website stated they want step1 so I didn't bother. And now I'm seeing everyone apply....
For FIU: No nothing to do with the communication problems, I doubt it's be that big of an obstacle if you know English, c'mon. HWCOM is a relatively new college. It opened in 2008 and a friend told me that it's has a higher MCAT average for such a new school. But there's no reviews regarding electives there. No one knows if they give you an LOR/assessment after you finish up. And it's mostly outpatient, how that affects your application, no idea...it seems too risky to spend so much time and money at a place you're not sure of...I think Miami was the only basis of it's appeal, for me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kv91 (07-11-2016)



  #26  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 50
Threads: 16
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill View Post
ofcourse not :P
This 2 months notification rule really is You can't even finalize your itinerary

I know! How do you even know what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhika2210 View Post
I would have applied to Mt Sinai but their website stated they want step1 so I didn't bother. And now I'm seeing everyone apply....
For FIU: No nothing to do with the communication problems, I doubt it's be that big of an obstacle if you know English, c'mon. HWCOM is a relatively new college. It opened in 2008 and a friend told me that it's has a higher MCAT average for such a new school. But there's no reviews regarding electives there. No one knows if they give you an LOR/assessment after you finish up. And it's mostly outpatient, how that affects your application, no idea...it seems too risky to spend so much time and money at a place you're not sure of...I think Miami was the only basis of it's appeal, for me....
Be it a new one but it's still under a university, the FIU which was established way back in 1960's. So it'll ofcourse be considered better than the private company based rotations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhika2210 View Post
I would have applied to Mt Sinai but their website stated they want step1 so I didn't bother. And now I'm seeing everyone apply....
Yeah, Sinai waves off the step 1 requirement if you request them to do so politely and substitutes that with your Basic Science Scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 50
Threads: 16
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill View Post
Be it a new one but it's still under a university, the FIU which was established way back in 1960's. So it'll ofcourse be considered better than the private company based rotations.
oh company based rotations are out of question. But if COrnell or UAB works out, I'd avoid FIU....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhika2210 View Post
oh company based rotations are out of question. But if COrnell or UAB works out, I'd avoid FIU....
Well yeah ofcourse, that's a different thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 66
Threads: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 24
Info

I have been having the same problem with waiting for a programs response... I have unfortunately received a couple rejections. I have a contact who have been helping me through this discouraging time. If anyone needs assistance, please email me at dabrice.johansen@gmail.com. We all are in this together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 07-11-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabricej View Post
I have been having the same problem with waiting for a programs response... I have unfortunately received a couple rejections. I have a contact who have been helping me through this discouraging time. If anyone needs assistance, please email me at dabrice.johansen@gmail.com. We all are in this together.
Were you able to get the electives? which universities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33  
Old 07-14-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

On the course catalogue there is a list of consecutive electives named - International Elective. Not much is stated in the description of these electives. Does anyone know what these are and if we can apply for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34  
Old 07-15-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv91 View Post
On the course catalogue there is a list of consecutive electives named - International Elective. Not much is stated in the description of these electives. Does anyone know what these are and if we can apply for them?
They are for cornell students not us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
kv91 (07-15-2016)
  #35  
Old 07-21-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 172
Threads: 23
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Does anyone know about how much time they take to send their decision after you've submitted your application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 10-23-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill View Post
Be it a new one but it's still under a university, the FIU which was established way back in 1960's. So it'll ofcourse be considered better than the private company based rotations.
is it a good idea to apply for FIU??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clinical elective at Weill Cornell in December victorinoxer1 USCE & Clinical Rotations 2 02-29-2016 08:30 AM
Cornell May/June 2016 drparrys USCE & Clinical Rotations 1 02-19-2016 08:23 PM
elective at cornell ishkan9196 USCE & Clinical Rotations 1 09-25-2014 09:55 AM
Shocking reply by Cornell after elective application sachinkumar USCE & Clinical Rotations 6 08-13-2013 08:29 PM
elective at weill cornell rohini_jyn USCE & Clinical Rotations 0 10-18-2011 05:55 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)