Help please - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG/FMG Forum > USCE & Clinical Rotations

USCE & Clinical Rotations IMG discussions of United States Clinical Experience (USCE), clinical rotations, clerkships, externships, observerships, electives, and internships.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-02-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 33
Threads: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default Help please

I will be graduating in mid september next year (2017) ,if i have my step 1 score by the mid of April 2017 , then can I get clinical electives on the basis of step score in this duration of 4.5-5 months ? Please help, Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 09-02-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 186
Threads: 28
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsmleNewBye View Post
I will be graduating in mid september next year (2017) ,if i have my step 1 score by the mid of April 2017 , then can I get clinical electives on the basis of step score in this duration of 4.5-5 months ? Please help, Thank you.
Most of the electives require your application to be submitted about ≥6 months before so I believe you won't be able to provide the Step 1 score before applying. Therefore I would suggest you to apply for the programs that do not require step 1 about 6-8 months before at places like Weill Cornell, Mt. Sinai(apply 8-9 months before, application for 16-17 session opens January 2017), FIU, Alabama(not sure, check website), Harvard plus others you may know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
UsmleNewBye (09-03-2016)
  #3  
Old 09-03-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 33
Threads: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill View Post
Most of the electives require your application to be submitted about ≥6 months before so I believe you won't be able to provide the Step 1 score before applying. Therefore I would suggest you to apply for the programs that do not require step 1 about 6-8 months before at places like Weill Cornell, Mt. Sinai(apply 8-9 months before, application for 16-17 session opens January 2017), FIU, Alabama(not sure, check website), Harvard plus others you may know of.
Thank you
do any of these electives free for IM ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 09-03-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 186
Threads: 28
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Reputation: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsmleNewBye View Post
Thank you
do any of these electives free for IM ?
None of the electives are free. The cheapest ones are:
  1. Case Western Reserve University ($150/elective)
  2. University of Massachusetts
  3. LSU Shreveport
  4. Mayo Clinic
  5. Cleveland Clinic
All of these require Step 1 score

The step 1 exempt with approx fee are:
  1. Mt. Sinai (Application Fee $1000, Elective Fee $2000 per 4 wk elective)
  2. Weill (Application Fee $300, Elective Fee: $2000/4wk elective)
  3. FIU (Application Fee $150, Elective Fee: $2500/4wk elective)
  4. Yale (around $3000)
  5. Harvard (around $4800)
  6. Alabama (around $5000, includes airport transfers, shared accomodation)
Please confirm these fee structures from their respective websites as I have just put them here from memory.
So you see no elective is free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Rowena (02-10-2017)
  #5  
Old 09-03-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 33
Threads: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill View Post
None of the electives are free. The cheapest ones are:
  1. Case Western Reserve University ($150/elective)
  2. University of Massachusetts
  3. LSU Shreveport
  4. Mayo Clinic
  5. Cleveland Clinic
All of these require Step 1 score

The step 1 exempt with approx fee are:
  1. Mt. Sinai (Application Fee $1000, Elective Fee $2000 per 4 wk elective)
  2. Weill (Application Fee $300, Elective Fee: $2000/4wk elective)
  3. FIU (Application Fee $150, Elective Fee: $2500/4wk elective)
  4. Yale (around $3000)
  5. Harvard (around $4800)
  6. Alabama (around $5000, includes airport transfers, shared accomodation)
Please confirm these fee structures from their respective websites as I have just put them here from memory.
So you see no elective is free.
Thank you for your help One more question please ? What about those electives who start their application processes from 15th April ? If I want to have electives their for the month of aug / sept then what are my chances ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)