One year hands-on experience is needed - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > IMG/FMG Forum > USCE & Clinical Rotations

USCE & Clinical Rotations IMG discussions of United States Clinical Experience (USCE), clinical rotations, clerkships, externships, observerships, electives, and internships.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-21-2011
Banned
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 751
Threads: 133
Thanked 308 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 318
Question One year hands-on experience is needed

Hey everyone,

Lately I've been told that in addition to USMLE scores, one needs to do a full 1 YEAR hands on experience in the US!
Sadly I don't think I can do 1 year. I can only afford to do a 4 week elective! (since the goal is to get a LoR, right?)

How true is this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


  #2  
Old 04-22-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,031 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5127
Stop Not all programs need 1 year

Only a very small number of residency programs put such a requirement. For example look here
http://www.fm.umn.edu/education/resi...eria/home.html
You can see in that page they mentioned that they need a minimum of one year US clinical rotations.

This basically means that the program is NOT IMG friendly because typically there's no such IMG, well, with the exception of those who have done a prelim or transitional or PGY1 year.

Nevertheless, there are hundreds and hundreds of residency programs that do not put such criteria:

Some require only 4 weeks of hands-on
Some require only 8 weeks of hands-on
Some are satisfied with only observerships
Some do not require any form of USCE at all

I don't have the exact percentages of each type of residency program but am pretty sure that those who require full one year of hands-on USCE constitute a small percentage of all programs.

USCE is not only about LoRs (though this is very important) but it's also to make sure that you have been exposed to the clinical life in USA so that PDs are comfortable taking you into their residency programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
add1 (04-23-2011), angelina vivien (05-11-2011), Mahony87 (04-22-2011), MzLizMD (03-10-2012), scientist66 (10-22-2014)
  #3  
Old 05-09-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Hello step taker,
Could u pls post any info the minimum LoR, USCE required to get successful match in each branch specially in neuro, internal med, family med, peds classified as as per the yrs since graduation.
I am an old grad and presently pursuing a diploma course that might cut short the amount of time i may have for USCE before Sept 2012, cant choose to cut short my course since its needed to fill gaps since grad.
THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 05-09-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,031 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunseen View Post
Hello step taker,
Could u pls post any info the minimum LoR, USCE required to get successful match in each branch specially in neuro, internal med, family med, peds classified as as per the yrs since graduation.
I am an old grad and presently pursuing a diploma course that might cut short the amount of time i may have for USCE before Sept 2012, cant choose to cut short my course since its needed to fill gaps since grad.
THANKS
I don't have accurate information to post for you. The data you are asking requires months of research and dedication!

Also, there's no standards in this regard. We cannot say for example that if you want to get neurology match then you have to do 6 months of USCE and you have to be less than 3 years after graduation. There's no such rule and no standard criteria in any specialty. Every program is different. Not only that, the same program might change criteria from year to year.

I can refer you to this poll
http://www.usmle-forums.com/residenc...h-company.html
In that poll we list the companies that help you look for residency programs as per the criteria you choose (specialty, scores, years after grad, USCE ...etc), but again am not sure how accurate these companies are as these parameters are dynamic and change from year to year.

One thing I can tell you, the more USCE you have the more chances of getting interviews. But there's no set threshold. I can't tell you do 8 weeks or 12 weeks or one year ...etc, just do as much as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
angelina vivien (05-11-2011), drunseen (05-09-2011), scientist66 (10-22-2014)
  #5  
Old 05-11-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default old grad ?abOut USCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
I don't have accurate information to post for you. The data you are asking requires months of research and dedication!

Also, there's no standards in this regard. We cannot say for example that if you want to get neurology match then you have to do 6 months of USCE and you have to be less than 3 years after graduation. There's no such rule and no standard criteria in any specialty. Every program is different. Not only that, the same program might change criteria from year to year.

I can refer you to this poll
http://www.usmle-forums.com/residenc...h-company.html
In that poll we list the companies that help you look for residency programs as per the criteria you choose (specialty, scores, years after grad, USCE ...etc), but again am not sure how accurate these companies are as these parameters are dynamic and change from year to year.

One thing I can tell you, the more USCE you have the more chances of getting interviews. But there's no set threshold. I can't tell you do 8 weeks or 12 weeks or one year ...etc, just do as much as you can.
HELLO STEP TAKER ,
I am in a lot of confusion right now the more I think the more it gets complicated for me.
as I told u earlier I am pursuing a 1 yr diploma course, after that I will be having just April to Aug 2012 to collect those USCE and LoRs, if possible do the research as well.
Do u really think I have a chance to make it for 2012 match,
pls give an honest answer do u know few who actually had same experience, like an old grad +no pg +only say 4-5 mths of USCE as i did and still where able to get match. what should i do, I also kept an option of giving up the diploma course so I may get minimum 2 extra months to get USCE. Will it worth giving the diploma considering I also need to fill gaps.
what u suggest with ur experience?
THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-11-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,031 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunseen View Post
I also kept an option of giving up the diploma course so I may get minimum 2 extra months to get USCE. Will it worth giving the diploma considering I also need to fill gaps.
what u suggest with ur experience?
THANKS
Option A)
Diploma and USCS-2months
versus
Option B)
No Diploma and USCE+2months

I choose option A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-11-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3,263
Threads: 147
Thanked 5,031 Times in 1,566 Posts
Reputation: 5127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunseen View Post
pls give an honest answer do u know few who actually had same experience, like an old grad +no pg +only say 4-5 mths of USCE as i did and still where able to get match.
Yes, I know several people matched with the credentials you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-11-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepTaker View Post
Option A)
Diploma and USCS-2months
versus
Option B)
No Diploma and USCE+2months

I choose option A
thanks step taker ,
u ease my confusion a bit ,i will go ahead with diploma course.
THANKS AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-11-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steptaker View Post
yes, i know several people matched with the credentials you mentioned.
those really are the most comforting word i was so eager to hear, specially from u ,i think i can prepare with these words in mind.thank's to u .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Curriculum-Vitae-, Externships

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medical Board of California Warning about Hands-On clinical experience for IMGs Sabio IMG/FMG Forum 10 02-05-2014 09:05 PM
Hands-On Surgery Externship dr-ahmed USCE & Clinical Rotations 9 12-23-2013 06:32 AM
1 Year experience in UK/NZ or 3 Months in US MedicalDR14 USCE & Clinical Rotations 1 02-18-2011 02:36 PM
how much money does paid hands-on US clinical experience cost ? mahganem USCE & Clinical Rotations 1 10-17-2010 09:07 PM
When to wash hands? sharvaree19 USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 2 05-01-2010 08:12 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)