NO MORE 2 Digit Score Scale for USMLE Steps! - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE News

USMLE News Interesting USMLE News and Events useful for the USMLE Student


Reply
 
News Tools Search this News Display Modes
 
Old
NO MORE 2 Digit Score Scale for USMLE Steps!
by iirevolverii 05-04-2011, 07:50 PM

"Changes to USMLE Procedures for Reporting Scores

Starting July 1, 2011, USMLE transcripts reported through the ERAS reporting system will no longer include score results on the two-digit score scale. USMLE results will continue to be reported on the three-digit scale. This affects the Step 1, 2CK, and 3 examinations only; Step 2 CS will continue to be reported as pass or fail. These changes do not alter the score required to pass or the difficulty of any of the USMLE Step examinations.

Posted May 04, 2011 [-] Click HERE to close announcement Since its beginning in the 1990s, the USMLE program has reported two numeric scores for the Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3 examinations, one on a three-digit scale and one on a two-digit scale. The three-digit score scale is considered the primary reporting scale; it is developed in a manner that allows reasonable comparisons across time. The two-digit scale is intended to meet statutory requirements of some state medical boards that rely on a score scale that has 75 as the minimum passing score. The process used to convert three-digit scores to two-digit scores is designed in such a way that the three-digit minimum passing score in effect when the examinee tests is associated with a two-digit score of 75.

The USMLE program requires its governing committees to reevaluate the minimum passing score every three to four years. This process has, at times, resulted in changes in the minimum passing score, expressed on the three-digit scale, and an accompanying change in the score conversion process, to ensure that a two-digit score of 75 is associated with the new minimum passing requirement. A by-product of the adjustment of the score conversion system over time has been a shift in the relationship between the two score scales. This shift has no impact for USMLE score users who use the three-digit scoring scale or for those using the two-digit scale with a primary interest in whether the examinee has a passing two-digit score of at least 75. However, it may create challenges in interpretation for score users who are focusing on two-digit scores, other than 75, and are doing so for purposes of comparing USMLE scores that span several years.

To simplify matters and make interpretation of USMLE information more convenient for score users, the USMLE Composite Committee has asked staff to report two-digit scores only to those score users for whom the scale is intended, i.e., the state medical boards. The Committee also asked that examinees continue to receive scores on both scales so that they are fully informed about the information that will be reported when they ask that results be sent to a state medical board. When examinees request that their results be sent to other score users, only the three-digit score will be reported. Current plans call for these changes to begin with the elimination of the two-digit score from USMLE transcripts reported through the ERAS reporting system starting July 1, 2011. Other systems and procedures for reporting results will be similarly modified as soon as possible after the July 1, 2011 date."




SOURCE:
http://usmle.org/General_Information/announcements.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Views 15243 Comments 22

Total Comments 22

Comments

 
Old 05-04-2011
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 36
Threads: 11
Reputation: 21
This means no more shooting for "99"
Now we start shooting for "270+"...lol

Does this affect us in any way? Doesn't some of the less competitive residency program's directors still use the 2-digit score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 566
Threads: 25
Reputation: 534
I don't know, but lately USMLE are making a lot of changes... I don't like it.. It looks like something big is coming...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 29
Threads: 1
Reputation: 34
Thank you for posting this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Reputation: 10
Ok I dont like this one bit..
I'm already freaked about taking the test and now breaking news like these aren't helping me concentrate any better..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Reputation: 10
i love this news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 167
Threads: 56
Reputation: 100
The address is a little bit misleading .. Examinees will still receive 2 and 3 digits scores. The only difference is programs will receive only 3 digit scores via ERAS . Only programs asking specifically for 2 digit scores will receive it. It doesn't make any difference, since programs that rely only on 3 digit scores now usually disregard the 2 digit score anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 38
Threads: 1
Reputation: 48
How this will affect the match ?

Interesting news , but I how it will affect someone with having both tow digit scores and three digit scores going for the match in 2012?
cause i am an IMG , 2008 ( doing IM residency in my country )
STEP1 = 219/93
STEP 2 = 229/ 99
so my two digit scores will not be considered any more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Reputation: 10
seriously???

so 99s dont matter any more??! that move definitely rules out the confusion about how everything from 230s to 270s equaled a 99! but then how much is good enough to make it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 2
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppsl View Post
so 99s dont matter any more??! that move definitely rules out the confusion about how everything from 230s to 270s equaled a 99! but then how much is good enough to make it now?
I think this is a good move bcoz it brings in a level playing field. Suppose a program required a score of 95+ on a 2 digit and nothing less, then many students on a given day may have got a 95/220 and on another day got 93/222 (in case of my friends).. But now, they will only take 3 digit scores, which means, merit will prevail... But if they set a bar too high and take in less applicants for interviews, and evaluate the same way as they are doing now, then we ll end up having a lot more number of seats during the scramble.... Good JOB USMLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 0
Reputation: 11
how it'll affect last and future exams? I don't understand, does it will make difficulties for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 244
Threads: 16
Reputation: 210
This is enormous news for those who took the test a few years ago and those who missed 99 by a few marks and those have very high 99s.....

recently 99 was being awarded at scores of 229, which even a few years was a 95-97. This radically increased the number of "99s" being reported (which is actually 60th percentile when u have 229) -

So recenty those who got a 233/96 a few year ago was not being treated equivalent to a 229/99.

Thirdly, with the 99 being removed, there will now no longer be a "muting" of the higher end score, every point above 230 will count and 240/250 will be a new measure of excellence - i think helps people motivate more.


good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 36
Threads: 11
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by drarnab View Post
This is enormous news for those who took the test a few years ago and those who missed 99 by a few marks and those have very high 99s.....

recently 99 was being awarded at scores of 229, which even a few years was a 95-97. This radically increased the number of "99s" being reported (which is actually 60th percentile when u have 229) -

So recenty those who got a 233/96 a few year ago was not being treated equivalent to a 229/99.

Thirdly, with the 99 being removed, there will now no longer be a "muting" of the higher end score, every point above 230 will count and 240/250 will be a new measure of excellence - i think helps people motivate more.


good news.
but isnt getting a 229 these days better than getting a 229 back then since the exam has changed over time(more clinical) and in my opinion, a little bit more harder.

So wudnt the program directors also look at the date of when the exam was taken since they wud understand the fact that the exam is a little different now?

Im worried cuz im one of those persons that recently(last month) got a 99 with 229

Also I reread the new announcement. Guys, they are still going to report the 2digit when u recieve ur scores but just not to program directors when u apply for residency.
"The Committee also asked that examinees continue to receive scores on both scales so that they are fully informed about the information that will be reported when they ask that results be sent to a state medical board. When examinees request that their results be sent to other score users, only the three-digit score will be reported."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 36
Threads: 11
Reputation: 21
The physician i was observing last year worked with a program director, and told me that they use the 2 digit to filter applicants.
Say, anything below 90 wud be discarded and anything above, they wud look at the 3digit and other credentials.

But i assume now they will use a 3digit number to set as a bar to separate applicants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 244
Threads: 16
Reputation: 210
Well firstly congratulations, 229 is not a bad score. However, although the exam has reportedly become tougher, every year students are better prepared and ace it, the median score has been climbing over the past few years. You are quite correct that people who scored a 230/96 a few years ago are now at par with you, however if i was you i wouldnt worry about that too much because they obviously also have something screwed up in thier application as they are still applying and didnt match!

I dont really think PDs can afford to look at the year of USMLE scores anymore with the zillions of applications they sort through. So they are likely to set up a filter of around 220 ( the median US graduate score and a 92/93 by previous two digit standards) - this would vary according to the policies of the program obviously.

So dont worry and score somewhere in the high 220/mid 230 in the other exams ud be finee !

cheers.





Quote:
Originally Posted by iirevolverii View Post
but isnt getting a 229 these days better than getting a 229 back then since the exam has changed over time(more clinical) and in my opinion, a little bit more harder.

So wudnt the program directors also look at the date of when the exam was taken since they wud understand the fact that the exam is a little different now?

Im worried cuz im one of those persons that recently(last month) got a 99 with 229

Also I reread the new announcement. Guys, they are still going to report the 2digit when u recieve ur scores but just not to program directors when u apply for residency.
"The Committee also asked that examinees continue to receive scores on both scales so that they are fully informed about the information that will be reported when they ask that results be sent to a state medical board. When examinees request that their results be sent to other score users, only the three-digit score will be reported."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



 
Old 05-06-2011
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 38
Threads: 1
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by drarnab View Post
Well firstly congratulations, 229 is not a bad score. However, although the exam has reportedly become tougher, every year students are better prepared and ace it, the median score has been climbing over the past few years. You are quite correct that people who scored a 230/96 a few years ago are now at par with you, however if i was you i wouldnt worry about that too much because they obviously also have something screwed up in thier application as they are still applying and didnt match!

I dont really think PDs can afford to look at the year of USMLE scores anymore with the zillions of applications they sort through. So they are likely to set up a filter of around 220 ( the median US graduate score and a 92/93 by previous two digit standards) - this would vary according to the policies of the program obviously.

So dont worry and score somewhere in the high 220/mid 230 in the other exams ud be finee !

cheers.
Wonderfully explained by DrArnab , Yes its true the exam has become tougher , and they have reduced the total no of questions , so a 229/99 now is better than 240/99 two years back .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2011
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 751
Threads: 133
Reputation: 318
Yes u'll still receive the 2 digit score on the score report.
This is not good news at all...all these years we were thinking 2 digit scores have importance :S I don't get it. So now instead of aiming for 99, everyone should be aiming for 260? If you get less than that ur filtered out? :S can someone please clarify this...also so how does one know what score is considered GOOD? 2 digit scores atleast give us some idea about our performance. I mean how are we supposed to interpret our 3 digit scores? The score report states that most scores fall between 140 and 260. any idea anyone?

Last edited by add1; 05-07-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2011
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 244
Threads: 16
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by add1 View Post
Yes u'll still receive the 2 digit score on the score report.
This is not good news at all...all these years we were thinking 2 digit scores have importance :S I don't get it. So now instead of aiming for 99, everyone should be aiming for 260? If you get less than that ur filtered out? :S can someone please clarify this...also so how does one know what score is considered GOOD? 2 digit scores atleast give us some idea about our performance. I mean how are we supposed to interpret our 3 digit scores? The score report states that most scores fall between 140 and 260. any idea anyone?
just stay above 221 for step 1 and 229 for step 2 ( US mean ) - this will mean you will be greater in score than the top 60% of imGs - since 65% IMGs match, this would be an adequate target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2011
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 751
Threads: 133
Reputation: 318
So do you think people will still talk about 2 digit scores or is this the end? :P haha
so this just goes to show that IMGs (including myself) are somewhat lacking in accurate usmle information.
I can't believe that all this time AMGs were right in that they only talk about their 3 digits!!!!
and everywhere I go I see, "I scored 99th PERCENTILE" or "I got 99" "Pray for my 99"
wow.........lol

Last edited by add1; 05-07-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 37
Threads: 2
Reputation: 35
Firstly, the exam has become more and more clinical and students are supposedly finding it tougher than the previous exams... So, I feel having a 229 these days is much more better than a 229 few years ago...

Plus PD's have a filter where they have choices of both two digit scores and three digit scores... So, is this software structured by the individual institutions or by USMLE or ERAS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Reputation: 10
Hi everyone recently a friend of mine scored 232 on Step-1, Two digit score said "86" percentile, does it mean the exam got tougher or is it still a good score ? I mean wud that 86 be reported to programs while applying for residency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 566
Threads: 25
Reputation: 534
not, the 2 digit score is only reported to you, no one else will see that score. They are just trying to abolish the 2 digit score, and yes your score is a good score.. =) congrats!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulz View Post
not, the 2 digit score is only reported to you, no one else will see that score. They are just trying to abolish the 2 digit score, and yes your score is a good score.. =) congrats!!!
@rulz Thank u very much for the quick reply, its my friend's score.. would be writin mine next month,

giving a 86 for 232 ws little discouraging, coz earlier the same 3digit score used to be reported as 99 so ws kinda taken aback by the huge difference in reporting,

thanks once again fr the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



News Tools Search this News
Search this News:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)