Heres a quick summary and an easy way to remember the Shunts seen in Congenital Heart Diseases -
1) Right to Left Shunt
- "Blue babies" (early cyanosis because blood is shunted past the lungs)
- All the diseases start with the letter 'T'
-Tetralogy of Fallot2) Left to Right Shunt
-Transposition of the great vessels
- "Blue kids" (late cyanosis)
- Eisenmenger's sydrome is noted which reverses the shunt after Pulmonary HTN develops.
- Think of all the '3 lettered' diseases
-PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosus)
-ASD (Atrial septal defect)
-VSD (Ventricular septal defect)
Feel free to add in any other information that I might have missed!