The mechanism of action of Thiozolidinediones (also called Glitazones) Frequently tested in USMLE Step 1 and so here's a quick bulleted points:
- Insulin resistance is decreased (Adiponectin increased and resistin decreased).
- Adipocyte maturation is stimulated.
- Leptin secretion is inhibited (causing increased appetite).
- Hepatic gluconeogensis is inhibited.
- Glut 1 and Glut 4 receptor expression is increased.
- Free fatty acids, triglycerides, and C reactive protein decrease (cardioprotective).
Most of these actions are mediated via activation of peroxisome proliferator activating receptors (PPAR).