Low score in uworld - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-06-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 54
Threads: 20
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 21
USMLEWorld Low score in uworld

hey
I have started doing uworld recently and I'm getting low scores..I have already done Kaplan thrice and still am getting low scores...I plan to take my step 1 in Aug and I have started revising all the topics along with uworld..
What else should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 06-06-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 567
Threads: 25
Thanked 524 Times in 263 Posts
Reputation: 534
Default

Excuse me but what do you call a low score in UW?

- Normal/Average score are around 50-60
- Good Score are > 60
- Great Score, which can guarantee a score above 95 in real exam is percentile above 70.

on Qbank Kaplan is a little less, ive been told that scoring >60 on Qbank kaplan is above 90, but i dont trust that one, i go with the NBME.

The real aprox. of the real score exam is to take a NBME. They got a real close aproximation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-06-2011
Lara's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 183
Threads: 29
Thanked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default First aid is your saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr spr View Post
hey
I have started doing uworld recently and I'm getting low scores..I have already done Kaplan thrice and still am getting low scores...I plan to take my step 1 in Aug and I have started revising all the topics along with uworld..
What else should I do?
I found the same problem.I wud recommend stopping UW right now or doing 1 block a day and MASTERING FA along with it.FA is vvvv imp i think.I can find all the answers in FA.Use uworld explanations to understand FA and then eat it up.Thats wat most people suggest doing and thats what i will be doing INSHALLAH.My step is in august too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
7802 (06-08-2011), usmlemydream (07-27-2011)
 
  #4  
Old 06-06-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 854 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I found the same problem.I wud recommend stopping UW right now or doing 1 block a day and MASTERING FA along with it.FA is vvvv imp i think.I can find all the answers in FA.Use uworld explanations to understand FA and then eat it up.Thats wat most people suggest doing and thats what i will be doing INSHALLAH.My step is in august too.
im also booked for august!

What have you done so far? I'm doing FA (2nd time), before i take an NBME and start UWorld..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-06-2011
Lara's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 183
Threads: 29
Thanked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelMD View Post
im also booked for august!

What have you done so far? I'm doing FA (2nd time), before i take an NBME and start UWorld..
Doing 3rd read of whole stuff from kaplan except patho(Goljan)
Reading FA along with it 2nd time and annotating it.
Started UW in mid april,was scoring 60%,left it for a month did those subjects i was scoring low in mean time and 1 read of FA.Now doing UW Block a day with read,my score improved to 63% but still a bit deficient in some areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-06-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 854 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Doing 3rd read of whole stuff from kaplan except patho(Goljan)
Reading FA along with it 2nd time and annotating it.
Started UW in mid april,was scoring 60%,left it for a month did those subjects i was scoring low in mean time and 1 read of FA.Now doing UW Block a day with read,my score improved to 63% but still a bit deficient in some areas
I've done something simliar, i've read KLN x2, Goljan 2x, but haven't done any UWorld. I'll have to finish it in 1 month.. do you think its doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-06-2011
Lara's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 183
Threads: 29
Thanked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default 2 months for UW

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelMD View Post
I've done something simliar, i've read KLN x2, Goljan 2x, but haven't done any UWorld. I'll have to finish it in 1 month.. do you think its doable?
I also bought it for 1 months but ended up extending it.
I would suggest 2months subscription.Try to do it twice,random unused,timed.Add every new thing onto FA and them read it again again.Thats what most people say is right for last days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
patelMD (06-06-2011)
  #8  
Old 06-06-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 854 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I also bought it for 1 months but ended up extending it.
I would suggest 2months subscription.Try to do it twice,random unused,timed.Add every new thing onto FA and them read it again again.Thats what most people say is right for last days.
I dont have that much time though, because im planning to start it on June 13th, and my exam is August 3rd.

So that leaves me with 7 weeks or so, I want to get multiple FA reads inbetween as well as get Goljan audio done. What was the max amount of blocks you could do / review per day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-06-2011
Lara's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 183
Threads: 29
Thanked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelMD View Post
I dont have that much time though, because im planning to start it on June 13th, and my exam is August 3rd.

So that leaves me with 7 weeks or so, I want to get multiple FA reads inbetween as well as get Goljan audio done. What was the max amount of blocks you could do / review per day?
UW takes time and i think u shud give 1 month completely to UW.
I would suggest complete this read of FA,then buy UW for 1 month,do it 100 Q a day (almost 2 blocks),random timed,read all explanations thoroughly and add onto FA anything u feel mp.This will take a whole day,takes mine cause explanations are very detailed and excellent and i feel i should be reading them well.Any time u get in day after that u can review FA.
In the last 9 days of ur subsription do all wrong and marked of UW.

After this month,just keep FA with all additions and eat,drink,bath,sleep with it.
Thats my plan i hope it works.I,ll be giving an NBME every week after UW.inshALLAH.

P.S. Any one wanting to critique or suggest any improvements to this plan is whole heartedly welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
patelMD (06-06-2011), persistentmedmd (07-25-2012)
  #10  
Old 06-06-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,175
Threads: 38
Thanked 854 Times in 478 Posts
Reputation: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
UW takes time and i think u shud give 1 month completely to UW.
I would suggest complete this read of FA,then buy UW for 1 month,do it 100 Q a day (almost 2 blocks),random timed,read all explanations thoroughly and add onto FA anything u feel mp.This will take a whole day,takes mine cause explanations are very detailed and excellent and i feel i should be reading them well.Any time u get in day after that u can review FA.
In the last 9 days of ur subsription do all wrong and marked of UW.

After this month,just keep FA with all additions and eat,drink,bath,sleep with it.
Thats my plan i hope it works.I,ll be giving an NBME every week after UW.inshALLAH.

P.S. Any one wanting to critique or suggest any improvements to this plan is whole heartedly welcome
Thanks! Thats what i'll follow from now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 06-07-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 54
Threads: 20
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

im getting an avergae of around 50...yes thats wat i have started doin..i have taken a 2 month subcription of uworld n i do like aound 50 to 6o questions per day adding all the extra info n the rest of the day i revise the topics...i hope my scores go up...i dont knw that else to do...thanx guys for ur help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 06-07-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 324
Threads: 70
Thanked 239 Times in 144 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

my uworld score is going down day by day instead of going up
i dont know whta should i do..
Plz suggest me what to do..
I dont know how to increase it ,and i am pushing myself to study more but i cant study..feel i am burning out.:sorry:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 06-07-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 54
Threads: 20
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

thats exactly how i feel!all efforts going in vain..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 06-07-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 54
Threads: 20
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default

i think lara is rite..do first aid and revise everything..thats the only thing i didnt do...i have only done fisrt aid once n now im doin it again along with it the uworld..n plus i read all imp topics from the golgan n kaplans..stuff like cystic fibrosis thats been quite frequently asked...jus hang in there..i know the feeling but u have to keep urself motivated...do the questions n revise stuff ur weak in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
struggle (06-07-2011)
  #15  
Old 06-07-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 324
Threads: 70
Thanked 239 Times in 144 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

yes you are rite..we should keep one another motivated..
This is the only thing we can do..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 07-26-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 12
Threads: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Angry

I feel hopeless. I have gone through half of UW now and I still cannot score above 45%. It frustrates me and makes me wanna cry. I think I did everything that I should, KLN, Goljan, DIT, read FA twice, but when I get in front of a question I black out. Please advise me on what to do now, my exam is in less than 2 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 07-26-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 438
Threads: 111
Thanked 233 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 243
Default

First you have to relax and stop thinking about the exam, supress that thinking about exam in 2 months.
Take a couple of days off. Stop doing questions. Read FA one more time, this time read it with your heart and soul, is not just about reading it, try to undrstand it.
Then start doing questions again.
I was scoring actually good when I started UW, but not what I wanted so is stop doing questions for a month a I started FA.
Now I see the difference.
Do it, it will pay off.
If you have to move your exam move it, is not the end of the world.
Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
meldz09 (07-26-2011), persistentmedmd (07-25-2012), usmlemydream (07-27-2011)



Reply

Tags
USMLE-Scores, USMLEWorld

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NBME score and UWorld self assessment scores achistikbenny USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 06-12-2011 02:13 PM
UWorld Score After 1st Week salz USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 04-08-2011 05:49 PM
how to increase uworld score? medicine USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 1 03-11-2011 12:20 AM
uworld step 1 score formula khushboo USMLE Step 1 Forum 6 10-11-2010 11:55 AM
UWorld Score not going up! Pixie USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 08-04-2010 07:21 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)