Interesting concept! Most of u may be know - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-25-2014
Dr.ann's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 156
Threads: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default Interesting concept! Most of u may be know

Do you know which form of vitamin D is in one we gets from OTC??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 09-25-2014
excellence's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 143
Threads: 12
Thanked 59 Times in 38 Posts
Reputation: 69
Default

May be the active one 1,25 cholecalciferol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-25-2014
Dr.ann's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 156
Threads: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

Umm try another...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-25-2014
Mvp12's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 4
Thanked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Reputation: 39
Default

Cholecalciferol (D3) and ergocalciferol (D2) are gotten OTC.

D2 is gotten also from the diet (plants), D3 from 7 dehydrocholesterol in the skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-25-2014
Dr.ann's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 156
Threads: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

Mvp12 thats correct normally from OTC we gets the same one as in from plants and sunshine..
So basically I m saying that we need intact liver and kidney function in order to make it active for our use.
But some patients do get direct active form 1,25 form only by prescription and usually they are the one with renal failure!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
excellence (09-26-2014), nsesereso (09-25-2014)
  #6  
Old 09-25-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 520 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.ann View Post
Mvp12 thats correct normally from OTC we gets the same one as in from plants and sunshine..
So basically I m saying that we need intact liver and kidney function in order to make it active for our use.
But some patients do get direct active form 1,25 form only by prescription and usually they are the one with renal failure!!
U tricked me! I took the OTC ones and prescription one to be same!
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr.ann (09-26-2014)
  #7  
Old 09-26-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 104
Threads: 13
Thanked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Reputation: 41
Default

You can get the active form of Vitamin D (D3) in supplement form. You don't need prescription for supplements. Most Physicians (I can't recall the source, but I read it somewhere) prescribe Vitamin D in D2 form; The inactive form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-26-2014
Dr.ann's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 156
Threads: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

Well my source is dr.goljan audios.
Well i think It depends if patients renal funtion is impaired or fine. I was telling about the person with renal failure how can they activate D2 form if no 1alpha hydroxylase by kidney is there.
He said active form of vit D is toxic though but with renal failure it might works!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-26-2014
Dr.ann's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 156
Threads: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizou View Post
You can get the active form of Vitamin D (D3) in supplement form. You don't need prescription for supplements. Most Physicians (I can't recall the source, but I read it somewhere) prescribe Vitamin D in D2 form; The inactive form.

U can check dr.goljan audios topic nutrition he said oral vitamin D form which we usually get from OTC still needs to go through hydroxylation steps.
But prescription one got direct 1alpha hydroxylase though dangerous but for renal failure patient it will work cuz without that there is no other mechanism from which it get active.!,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
nsesereso (09-26-2014)
  #10  
Old 09-26-2014
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,109
Threads: 31
Thanked 520 Times in 394 Posts
Reputation: 539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.ann View Post
U can check dr.goljan audios topic nutrition he said oral vitamin D form which we usually get from OTC still needs to go through hydroxylation steps.
But prescription one got direct 1alpha hydroxylase though dangerous but for renal failure patient it will work cuz without that there is no other mechanism from which it get active.!,
Yea I heard that from him.
__________________
In USMLE, “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr.ann (09-26-2014)
  #11  
Old 09-26-2014
DrNewB's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 114
Threads: 16
Thanked 50 Times in 31 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.ann View Post
Mvp12 thats correct normally from OTC we gets the same one as in from plants and sunshine..
So basically I m saying that we need intact liver and kidney function in order to make it active for our use.
But some patients do get direct active form 1,25 form only by prescription and usually they are the one with renal failure!!
I think I heard this in Dr. Goljan's audio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 09-26-2014
DrNewB's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 114
Threads: 16
Thanked 50 Times in 31 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNewB View Post
I think I heard this in Dr. Goljan's audio.
You already told the source. Didn't see your other post. But isn't he awesome!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 09-26-2014
Dr.ann's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 156
Threads: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNewB View Post
You already told the source. Didn't see your other post. But isn't he awesome!!!!!
He is just awesome he explain concepts really well he connects patho with every other subjects very well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 09-26-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 71
Threads: 15
Thanked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 57
Default Why?

Why cannot the active form be directly given in the normal patients (no renal failure).

Last edited by Panmedic; 09-26-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: was not clear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 09-26-2014
Dr.ann's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 156
Threads: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panmedic View Post
Why cannot the active form be directly given in the normal patients (no renal failure).
Don't know the full detail but dr.goljan said the active form if given is toxic dangerous so may be thats why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 09-26-2014
DrNewB's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 114
Threads: 16
Thanked 50 Times in 31 Posts
Reputation: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.ann View Post
He is just awesome he explain concepts really well he connects patho with every other subjects very well
So true!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 09-26-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 104
Threads: 13
Thanked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Reputation: 41
Default

Thanks for the source, I will definitely check it out.

I haven't done the nutrition chapter yet, I was just stating what I had heard/read before.

I was planning on using Goljan book to do the Nutrition chapter but I guess I should hear the audios as well. What do you think? Doing both a bit too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 09-26-2014
Dr.ann's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 156
Threads: 10
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizou View Post
Thanks for the source, I will definitely check it out.

I haven't done the nutrition chapter yet, I was just stating what I had heard/read before.

I was planning on using Goljan book to do the Nutrition chapter but I guess I should hear the audios as well. What do you think? Doing both a bit too much?
Personally I have done his book and listening to his audios few left. I can't comment because I haven't gave exam yet. But i like his book he explain things in detail but most of people say use pathoma. U can choose any book depending on how much time u have. But his audio is must in my opinion it will help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
eizou (09-27-2014)
  #19  
Old 09-27-2014
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 104
Threads: 13
Thanked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Reputation: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.ann View Post
Personally I have done his book and listening to his audios few left. I can't comment because I haven't gave exam yet. But i like his book he explain things in detail but most of people say use pathoma. U can choose any book depending on how much time u have. But his audio is must in my opinion it will help you.
I actually use Pathoma and Goljan for pathology. In Goljan I only read the side notes, bold texts, the tables and images but only after completing the corresponding chapters from Pathoma. Honestly doesn't take me that much time. I don't hear his audios that much though but I will for the Nutrition chapter; There is actually no nutrition chapter in Pathoma, so I have to do the whole chapter solely from Goljan and with his audios.

Anyways, thanks for your advice.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting Visa questions Curacao IMG Visa Issues 3 08-27-2013 04:42 AM
interesting genetics animations oti nogonno USMLE Links & Free Ads 2 07-14-2011 12:23 PM
Here is an interesting case! chamarezka USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 03-17-2011 11:13 AM
Interesting Associations atr88 USMLE Step 2 CK Bits & Pieces 1 12-10-2010 09:03 AM
Interesting question HouseWannabe USMLE Step 1 Forum 12 06-15-2010 07:12 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)