Shravs24 step 1 Prep journal.. - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Planning Shravs24 step 1 Prep journal..

After wasting a year and a half , I finally came to my senses. Decided its high time to give my step one and to get me going I've booked my slot for Decemeber but intend to give the exam latest by Jan 2012.
I've four months and the pace is still dead slow. I decided to pen down my progress so I can focus more and get more insights from the others on this forum and also hopefully people will point out to me how I can improve and what Im doing wrong and jolt me when Im slacking..So here goes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
imcv (09-08-2011), menatallah Elgohary (08-11-2011)



  #2  
Old 08-05-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Day 0: I ve been doing micro for a while now.Was supposed to finish it yesterday but still I have viruses to do.Hopefully will finish them by tonight..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-05-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

The more posts I read the more I get the feeling that kaplan alone is not enough.Does any know what are the other books and for what subjects?? One forum suggest high yeild series for anatomy( gross , neuro and histo) instead os kaplan and another forum says behavioral from BRS. Any takes on this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 08-05-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 438
Threads: 111
Thanked 233 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 243
Smile

Just finish kaplan and stick to FA and UW.
My opinion is too many books, too many confusion. Anyways you will never learn every book even if you have 10 years to study.
So study FA and do UW. THE END
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr.aysa (08-27-2011), imcv (09-08-2011), ispy (09-27-2011), juliaroberto (09-24-2011), NAZIAMK (08-11-2011), Nouman (09-19-2011), samba (09-19-2011), Shravs24 (08-05-2011)
  #5  
Old 08-05-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Thanks evavar, that was my original plan..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-05-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Day 0 : Its 4 p.m now and I have a block and a terrible headache..few viruses down, a lot more to go.Will try and take a power nap or go to the gym, hopefully should feel better after that.Today was worse then yesterday..but will finish viruses..Cant procrastinate anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-08-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Day 3:Here what happened over the weekend and Im not proud of it..Friday night I was reading some genetics and it drove me so mad that I decided to close my books and take a long nice break.Ended up going to a friends place, staying up late, catching up on the lost sleep the next day and falling ill on sunday..!! So day 1, 2 and 3 , I haven't read anything.Now its 3.30 P.M.Will go to the gym come back and then resume studies.I realized that once you take a long break , getting yourself to sit in front of the books again is very very difficult.So from now on should try and avoid that..4 days behind schedule.Have some unfinished stuff in micro will try and wind it all up by tomorrow..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
NAZIAMK (08-11-2011), oti nogonno (08-08-2011)
  #8  
Old 08-08-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 20
Threads: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Im also taking the step 1 december ! Im scoring from 30% to 40% in UW. Biochem, pharmaco and micro are my nightmares! I study ONLY from FA, with some help from DIT (for me, its great), and UWorld!
Any advice in what to do to get my score up?, and helpful ways of studying those subjects!
Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-08-2011
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_calcagno View Post
Im also taking the step 1 december ! Im scoring from 30% to 40% in UW. Biochem, pharmaco and micro are my nightmares! I study ONLY from FA, with some help from DIT (for me, its great), and UWorld!
Any advice in what to do to get my score up?, and helpful ways of studying those subjects!
Thanx
Do you feel that not using kaplan or any other source is affecting you or is FA enough? I have a hard time going through FA without having a good base (maybe you already had a good base in your medical school). Much less doing questions. It's overwhelming! I think I might also kick kaplan and other sources to the curb. I'm hesitating to do so, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-08-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 20
Threads: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
Do you feel that not using kaplan or any other source is affecting you or is FA enough? I have a hard time going through FA without having a good base (maybe you already had a good base in your medical school). Much less doing questions. It's overwhelming! I think I might also kick kaplan and other sources to the curb. I'm hesitating to do so, though.
Yeah, for some subjects iv had to use other books (pharmaco i used lippincot, micro i used MRS...) but in general i think that with FA + DIT it can be done in 4 months!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
islandcrazy (08-09-2011), tootsie (08-08-2011)
  #11  
Old 08-08-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 20
Threads: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

But for me, spending so much time with kaplan is a waste of time, cause its impossible to learn everything in those books! If you want u can read them once but for me...i just can't study like that! :S! And th things you learn with kaplan, u WILL learn with FA + UWorld!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 08-08-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

But most people I know say You have to read kaplan , UW and FA...Im not really sure what other books to read , so Im planning on sticking to the above..I thought I d do some topics from high yeild or brs but I dont have so much time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
NAZIAMK (08-11-2011)
  #13  
Old 08-09-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Day 4: Half the day went by in some domestic commitments.Napped for a while.Its 3.30 pm now..Will be finishing the bits and pieces in Micro today and start anatomy tomorrow..Lagging by 5 days already..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 08-09-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 177
Threads: 25
Thanked 75 Times in 55 Posts
Reputation: 87
Default

Well most people on this forum say just FA, Kaplan and UW. However that's not actually the generally agreement on the internet. Kaplan is very weak on several topics for instance Pathology and very good for others such Biochemistry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Shravs24 (08-09-2011)
  #15  
Old 08-09-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandcrazy View Post
Well most people on this forum say just FA, Kaplan and UW. However that's not actually the generally agreement on the internet. Kaplan is very weak on several topics for instance Pathology and very good for others such Biochemistry.
Yeah ... I ve read that path from golgn , bs from brs and anat from highyeild..frankly Im not quite so sure now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 08-11-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

is medical ethics by Dr. Ficher required for step one??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 08-11-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

what is MTB? is it another series or is it a q bank..Also how to subscribe for UW..help plz..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 08-11-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 45
Threads: 16
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shravs24 View Post
is medical ethics by Dr. Ficher required for step one??
yes and no. Yes itll help but no not really. You can get all you need from donig questions for ethics. just my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Shravs24 (08-11-2011)
  #19  
Old 08-11-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Thank you medicineman1..I will look up the website now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 08-15-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

I ve finished micro a few days back and today out of random I did some questions from micro..I realised that I remembered the one wth logic..but things like ds and ss viruses and others that have to be be blindly memorized I couldnt recollect.. Is that common? how to improve in that area..??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 08-15-2011
akua's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 167
Threads: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Reputation: 41
Default

Can someone tell me what is DIT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 08-15-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 438
Threads: 111
Thanked 233 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 243
Smile

Go to baronerocks.com he has some videos from a student that really helped me to learned those incredibly annoying viruses. Check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Shravs24 (08-15-2011)
  #23  
Old 08-15-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default Anatomy..

I was reading embryology from kaplan and he hasnt covered the pharyngeal pouches and arches at all in it..Arent they important?? In med school I remember bieng told that their derivatives were very importatnt..should we refer some other book for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 08-15-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 177
Threads: 25
Thanked 75 Times in 55 Posts
Reputation: 87
Default

I was told to supplement the Kaplan Lecture notes with HY embryology if you have the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Shravs24 (08-15-2011)
  #25  
Old 08-22-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 19
Threads: 5
Thanked 30 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 40
Default

Even I am giving my step 1 in dec.. I am still doing first reading Kaplan. I read Goljan for path.planning to finish Kaplan in a week and start with FA. Also planning to listen Kaplan and Goljan audios as advised by everyone. Haven't started UW yet. Don't know if I will be able to complete by Dec. Fingers cross..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 08-23-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 20
Threads: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akua View Post
Can someone tell me what is DIT?
Doctors in Training! Its a program that you buy...a fast review (15 days) using FA and a book that they give you with notes and questions. In my opinion an excellent tool for those that have a hard time studying by themselves! Iv done it like 3 times already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
akua (08-27-2011), Shravs24 (08-26-2011)
  #27  
Old 08-23-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 177
Threads: 25
Thanked 75 Times in 55 Posts
Reputation: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by San0805 View Post
Even I am giving my step 1 in dec.. I am still doing first reading Kaplan. I read Goljan for path.planning to finish Kaplan in a week and start with FA. Also planning to listen Kaplan and Goljan audios as advised by everyone. Haven't started UW yet. Don't know if I will be able to complete by Dec. Fingers cross..

Keep up the good work. My friends are taking the exam in December also. They plan on doing a NBME at the end of September. Maybe you should that also to see if your going on the right path and if not you can drastically change your plan before its to late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 08-26-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by San0805 View Post
Even I am giving my step 1 in dec.. I am still doing first reading Kaplan. I read Goljan for path.planning to finish Kaplan in a week and start with FA. Also planning to listen Kaplan and Goljan audios as advised by everyone. Haven't started UW yet. Don't know if I will be able to complete by Dec. Fingers cross..
Hi Sans0805..Hows your prep going??? Mine is awefull..Im freaked out but Im just not able to sit down to study..Its as if Im skirting it...How do you plan to complete Kaplan in a week???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 08-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 19
Threads: 5
Thanked 30 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shravs24 View Post
Hi Sans0805..Hows your prep going??? Mine is awefull..Im freaked out but Im just not able to sit down to study..Its as if Im skirting it...How do you plan to complete Kaplan in a week???
I am reading FA now. I hear people have completed one reading of everything, I get so nervous then.
How will anyone complete Kaplan in one week, if so I am not one if them.
When are you giving your exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 09-08-2011
imcv's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 74
Threads: 9
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

your prep plan is similar to mine! i find myself reading kaplan very slowly. sigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 09-08-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Hello Journal..
Im back again and now Im gnna stay..I ve taken all the breaks I possibly can and now its time to stay persistent..So here goes..Today is sep 8..Anat neuro half is the target.Will repost at the end of the day if I have stuck to my plan..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 09-08-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

I havent decided on the date but Im definitely gonna give it in feb..What about you?? hows the prep going..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by San0805 View Post
I am reading FA now. I hear people have completed one reading of everything, I get so nervous then.
How will anyone complete Kaplan in one week, if so I am not one if them.
When are you giving your exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33  
Old 09-08-2011
imcv's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 74
Threads: 9
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by San0805 View Post
I am reading FA now. I hear people have completed one reading of everything, I get so nervous then.
How will anyone complete Kaplan in one week, if so I am not one if them.
When are you giving your exam?
i tried to make 1 week a target for reading each kaplan subject too. first is biochem and i'm failing at it. now, i'm giving it 2 weeks. maybe because i havent gotten into the groove yet of studying. and also cause i work full time. sigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34  
Old 09-09-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Yesterday was a very unsuccessful day..I just did 2 chapters in neuro..The lag is back..I haven't been at my books for 10 days and Now I face the consequence of it..Well today I hope to do a lot more than that..will atleast try and finish as many tracts as possible..Will post at the end of the day..Not studyn at home..Will head to the library in an hour..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35  
Old 09-09-2011
imcv's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 74
Threads: 9
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shravs24 View Post
Yesterday was a very unsuccessful day..I just did 2 chapters in neuro..The lag is back..I haven't been at my books for 10 days and Now I face the consequence of it..Well today I hope to do a lot more than that..will atleast try and finish as many tracts as possible..Will post at the end of the day..Not studyn at home..Will head to the library in an hour..

What do you think makes you lag?

Good luck! Libraries have the study atmosphere. I personally dont prefer it. Haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 09-11-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 76
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default Motivation??

I think in my case is lack of motivation.. Definitely this forum helps. I'm going to start posting my progress. Best luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37  
Old 09-12-2011
imcv's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 74
Threads: 9
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmachado View Post
I think in my case is lack of motivation.. Definitely this forum helps. I'm going to start posting my progress. Best luck!!!
Sigh! I have too many distractions! Hence, many excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38  
Old 09-14-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcv View Post
Sigh! I have too many distractions! Hence, many excuses.
Thats the same with me..I procrastinate..And whats worse is that I hate the 1st and 2nd year subjects, they are more about memorizing than application of logic..So I dont enjoy reading them much..So I tend to deviate..But I guess the best motivation is to just be done with them..the sooner the better..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39  
Old 09-14-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Havent studied over the weekend and dont know how monday and tuesday flew by...Should probably ask my couch that..I think Il sell all the comfy furniture in my house..!! God the frustration...grrrjhhhhhh...!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40  
Old 09-14-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Anyway resuming anat now..Will post at the end of the day how much I have done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41  
Old 09-14-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 177
Threads: 25
Thanked 75 Times in 55 Posts
Reputation: 87
Default

I'm having the same issues of focusing, I'm currently stuck on Embryology. Hoping to move onto Anatomy next week...hoping.

Good luck with the Anatomy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42  
Old 09-16-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Anat..Still going on..Goal was to finish by monday but unfortunately had guests over today and will have some coming over for dinner tomorrow and I am no where even close to finishing it..But the good news is that as the date is drawing closer so is my tension,so hopefully it will put fire under my a** and I will move forward quicker..
Spoke to my friend who gave the exam yesterday..He got a lot of graph questions in pharmac and values increse / decrease questions he said..Embryology was tough and not much from anat..Biochem , immuno and path were intergrated into one question..He had a lot of them in that model he said..All he was talking about seemed familiar but the exacts I realized , I couldnt recall...So I think and so do a very few on the forum that the sooner you give the exam the better , Coz I dont think we can retain that much info for too long a period..If we do want to take a long time , we should really be very thorough..I have booked my date , so I dont have so much time , so the best I can do right now is cram and give the exam as soon as I m ready..My time table is almost the same as imcv..But if I want to achieve that I have to move atleast 10 times quicker than I am right now..
Any takes on the above..?? All opinions and advices welcome...
Im thinking five months..I cant take it beyond that without losing my exam fees..Im on my first read..So do you think its possible..?? Lots of people say atleast 7 months or more..Its makes me very nervous when they say that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43  
Old 09-19-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 259
Threads: 9
Thanked 332 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 352
Send a message via MSN to Nouman
Default

Nice to read this thread. I realized that I have some good days and some bad days. On good days, I study a lot but on bad days I don't study at ALL. And I am having more bad days that I am having Good days! I guess the key to study for Step 1 is Persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ispy (09-27-2011)
  #44  
Old 09-21-2011
imcv's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 74
Threads: 9
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shravs24 View Post
Thats the same with me..I procrastinate..And whats worse is that I hate the 1st and 2nd year subjects, they are more about memorizing than application of logic..So I dont enjoy reading them much..So I tend to deviate..But I guess the best motivation is to just be done with them..the sooner the better..

YES YES AND another resounding YES.

Sigh It's such a struggle.

So right now, I am intent on minimizing these possible deviations. Maybe eradicating them all! And focus on just studying for 4 months. Sigh

But I'm having difficulty deciding on that because I have to earn money too. Afraid to lose self-income, haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ispy (09-27-2011)
  #45  
Old 09-22-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Thats so true and off late I realized that I m severely lacking at that..And its the same with me..On good days I study well but on bad I dont at all..And the same as you I seem to be having more bad ones than good..And whats worse is that weekends are a difficult due to family commitments and once I keep my books aside some how I just dont get back to them atleast for 3 to four days after that..I keep telling myself the next hour but hours just fly by and I still dont go to my books..Im so ashamed of myself right now..The USMLE really brings out the ugly side in you that you never knew you had I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouman View Post
Nice to read this thread. I realized that I have some good days and some bad days. On good days, I study a lot but on bad days I don't study at ALL. And I am having more bad days that I am having Good days! I guess the key to study for Step 1 is Persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #46  
Old 09-22-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Thank you so much for that boost of confidence..I really needed that..yeah the distractions can be a huge set back..I decided to log out of all my accounts and only keep wiki open as long as Im studyn and log in only during my short breaks..Its working , though not perfectly atleast it is much better than before..try it..When you want to log in , you have to type your id and password all over again and at that moment when you are typing them in,you can make yourself stop..It works 8/10 times for me..
As for the earning your livelyhood, I really admire you for that.I sit in the comfort of my home with a husband who hardly asks anything of me when I am studyn and still I just dont realize my blessings and I crib that the exam is so difficult..seriously hate myself right now..Im so ashamed..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcv View Post
YES YES AND another resounding YES.

Sigh It's such a struggle.

So right now, I am intent on minimizing these possible deviations. Maybe eradicating them all! And focus on just studying for 4 months. Sigh

But I'm having difficulty deciding on that because I have to earn money too. Afraid to lose self-income, haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #47  
Old 09-22-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

I was supposed to finish neuro anatmony ages ago and yet here I am still stuck in the beginning . They say the third time is a charm..so lets hope it works for me as well..I ve given up twice already,so this is my third and last chance.Im gonna sit down and finish atleast the spinal tracts tomorrow..I ve got to finish anatomy and biochem as soon as possible..They are my weakest..
Hopefully when I get back at the end of the day tomorrow to report I will feel less ashamed of myself than I am now..*Fingers crossed*
Hardly read today..Just did some 10 pages..In no mood to study..So will sleep now..goodnight..Hoping for better tomorrows from now on..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #48  
Old 09-22-2011
akua's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 167
Threads: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Reputation: 41
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by evavar View Post
Just finish kaplan and stick to FA and UW.
My opinion is too many books, too many confusion. Anyways you will never learn every book even if you have 10 years to study.
So study FA and do UW. THE END
Amen!!I totally agree with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #49  
Old 09-22-2011
imcv's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 74
Threads: 9
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shravs24 View Post
Thank you so much for that boost of confidence..I really needed that..yeah the distractions can be a huge set back..I decided to log out of all my accounts and only keep wiki open as long as Im studyn and log in only during my short breaks..Its working , though not perfectly atleast it is much better than before..try it..When you want to log in , you have to type your id and password all over again and at that moment when you are typing them in,you can make yourself stop..It works 8/10 times for me..
As for the earning your livelyhood, I really admire you for that.I sit in the comfort of my home with a husband who hardly asks anything of me when I am studyn and still I just dont realize my blessings and I crib that the exam is so difficult..seriously hate myself right now..Im so ashamed..!!
Anytime!

Well, for these steps, I need to earn a living on my own. But my fiance's saying he will gladly pay for all the other stuff I will need after we get married.

But for now, I don't want to oblige him for my purely selfish dreams. Haha!

Ah! About distractions. They say there's an app for blocking sites? Like give a block of time that you assign that you wont be able to open those sites at all! I'll look for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #50  
Old 09-23-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 150
Threads: 27
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to ashok1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shravs24 View Post
After wasting a year and a half , I finally came to my senses. Decided its high time to give my step one and to get me going I've booked my slot for Decemeber but intend to give the exam latest by Jan 2012.
I've four months and the pace is still dead slow. I decided to pen down my progress so I can focus more and get more insights from the others on this forum and also hopefully people will point out to me how I can improve and what Im doing wrong and jolt me when Im slacking..So here goes..

Hi , I guess I'm in same position like you , am also planning in jan but study prep still in not a good shape nd need strong boost up, i am from Kolkata , if u r interested in online discussion , can write me --drbonbon73@gmail.com
Gargi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #51  
Old 09-23-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Hmmm.. Thats sweet of him and very understanding of you..You will make a happy couple
The block seems to be a good idea..Il ask my hubby if he knows any like that..He is a techie..


Quote:
Originally Posted by imcv View Post
Anytime!

Well, for these steps, I need to earn a living on my own. But my fiance's saying he will gladly pay for all the other stuff I will need after we get married.

But for now, I don't want to oblige him for my purely selfish dreams. Haha!

Ah! About distractions. They say there's an app for blocking sites? Like give a block of time that you assign that you wont be able to open those sites at all! I'll look for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #52  
Old 09-23-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Hi.. I ve posted for a study partner..I gave a detail of my plan..you an check it out..and if you are interested in my study plan we can start right away..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok1 View Post
Hi , I guess I'm in same position like you , am also planning in jan but study prep still in not a good shape nd need strong boost up, i am from Kolkata , if u r interested in online discussion , can write me --drbonbon73@gmail.com
Gargi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #53  
Old 09-23-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Hi all,
Finally some improvement..I sat down with my books for a few hours today..dint do as much as I planned but I did complete the tracts..So tomorrow will do the brain stem..there is a lot under that heading , but will try to get as much done as possible.Have a small religious ceremony and a bit of groceries to do , so will try and do as much as possible in the morning itself..will update later tomorrow night..
Not very proud of myself right now, but atleast Im not as disgusted as I was yesterday..So thank God , today was better..hoping for a much better tomorrow..
Met a lot of really nice and inspiring people on the forum today..Anyway thats it for now..Goodnight all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #54  
Old 09-24-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 76
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default Hi!

Shravs24,
Good job!!! I know you didn't complete as much as you wanted but hey you vompleted something!
I hope to read good news again today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #55  
Old 09-24-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Thanks for the encouragement drmachado..Yeah I know its not much..Im planning on increasing the time I spend with books gradually so that hopefully by oct 1st I will reach the much required 6-8hrs..and from there I have to increase it to atleast 8-10..Anyway the immediate plan now is to get it to atleast 6-8..

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmachado View Post
Shravs24,
Good job!!! I know you didn't complete as much as you wanted but hey you vompleted something!
I hope to read good news again today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #56  
Old 09-24-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Hi..Goodmorning all,
Had a lousy nights sleep,feeling all groggy.will start studyn in a bit..
Plan for today is to do as much brainstem as I can as I will be away from home from 2p.m.So will do as much as I can today and will report back at the end of the day..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #57  
Old 09-25-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 259
Threads: 9
Thanked 332 Times in 133 Posts
Reputation: 352
Send a message via MSN to Nouman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shravs24 View Post
Thats so true and off late I realized that I m severely lacking at that..And its the same with me..On good days I study well but on bad I dont at all..And the same as you I seem to be having more bad ones than good..And whats worse is that weekends are a difficult due to family commitments and once I keep my books aside some how I just dont get back to them atleast for 3 to four days after that..I keep telling myself the next hour but hours just fly by and I still dont go to my books..Im so ashamed of myself right now..The USMLE really brings out the ugly side in you that you never knew you had I guess...
Recently there is an improvement in my plan.I started study for a minimum 3-6 hrs per day and I study 5-6 days a week. On Sundays, I am found wasting time. I asked one of my friends for help who will be giving Step 1 in December.He told me that he goes to library to study and He studies from 8 am to 10 pm with breaks in between. That is the routine I am targeting for. But I dont think I will be able to study that much! But lets see! Regarding my sleep patterns, Its totally screwed up big time. I sleep more during the day than I sleep at night. still on First read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #58  
Old 09-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok1 View Post
Hi , I guess I'm in same position like you , am also planning in jan but study prep still in not a good shape nd need strong boost up, i am from Kolkata , if u r interested in online discussion , can write me --drbonbon73@gmail.com
Gargi
Hi ashok,
Sorry for the late reply.Was kinda caught up..Well Im not sure what online discussion is , but i was think more like setting goals on a daily basis to finish first read and then once it is over and I start doing questions,may be to do a little revision discussion..Thats my plan, let me know what your plan is and if it works out for me , we can do it together.
__________________
There is no shortcut to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #59  
Old 09-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouman View Post
Recently there is an improvement in my plan.I started study for a minimum 3-6 hrs per day and I study 5-6 days a week. On Sundays, I am found wasting time. I asked one of my friends for help who will be giving Step 1 in December.He told me that he goes to library to study and He studies from 8 am to 10 pm with breaks in between. That is the routine I am targeting for. But I dont think I will be able to study that much! But lets see! Regarding my sleep patterns, Its totally screwed up big time. I sleep more during the day than I sleep at night. still on First read!
Yeah mine is as mixed up as yours..Im not being consistent.Well weekends are bad for me.Something or the other always comes up.Anyway Il try to push myself on the weekdays starting from this monday.Lets see how that goes..I tried library too , but they dint quite work out for me.So Il try and study at home.The whole day some how Im distracted and I keep roaming around the house.I actually get my focus in the evening and then the night comes really soon.I should just change that pattern.Sleep is not an issue for me..I dont usually sleep in the afternoons unless Im dog tired..Give me my 8hrs sleep and Im good to go..
__________________
There is no shortcut to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #60  
Old 09-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Hi,
I havent done anything over the weekend..They are always crazy.Something or the other always comes up.Any way tomorrow is brainstem and if thats done may be Il add some thing to it.Will report at the end of the day.Wish me luck..
__________________
There is no shortcut to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #61  
Old 09-25-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Did any one else get a pm from the admin regarding how to quote and proper punctuations?
__________________
There is no shortcut to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #62  
Old 09-25-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 150
Threads: 27
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to ashok1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shravs24 View Post
Hi ashok,
Sorry for the late reply.Was kinda caught up..Well Im not sure what online discussion is , but i was think more like setting goals on a daily basis to finish first read and then once it is over and I start doing questions,may be to do a little revision discussion..Thats my plan, let me know what your plan is and if it works out for me , we can do it together.
hi shravs , thx ..online discussion I meant wen we will face any problem , we can discuss that thr' chat ...my opinion is same wth u ..once first read is over , sp during uw ,kapqbank solve we need study partner ..dat helps a lot i heard ..u can add me if interested in gmail chat or give me ur email id so dat i can send u chat request.. my email-- drbonbon73@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #63  
Old 09-26-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok1 View Post
hi shravs , thx ..online discussion I meant wen we will face any problem , we can discuss that thr' chat ...my opinion is same wth u ..once first read is over , sp during uw ,kapqbank solve we need study partner ..dat helps a lot i heard ..u can add me if interested in gmail chat or give me ur email id so dat i can send u chat request.. my email-- drbonbon73@gmail.com
Yup Ashok, that sounds good.Well when is your exam and are you on your first read too? I document my daily goals in my journal, you can put yours there too.Yes, during Uworld and Kaplan Q bank we will need a Sp for discussion.I agree with you.
__________________
There is no shortcut to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #64  
Old 09-26-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Hi,
October is closing in and Im freaking out.Its october already!!That means a fewer months left.Very very tensed.Should speed up.If not its gonna be too late for me.Todays goal, Brainstem.If I have time left I will do as much of the next chapter as possible.Will log back in at the end of the day again.Wish me luck!!
__________________
There is no shortcut to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #65  
Old 09-26-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Hi,
Today dint go as well as anticipated.Things went well till about 12 and then after that for four hours time just flew by and I found myself hardly doing anything.I was sitting in front of the book but the pages wouldnt move.So I took a long break and now I will study for a little while and go to bed.
Brainstem half done.To be completed tomorrow with an addition of a chapter or two to it.Im unable to sleep at night.I sleep late and have a very restless sleep.May be I am tensed.Il try and go to bed a little early today , but the problem is that I just cant fall asleep till 2 pm and I cant concentrate after 12.So the whole day I end up feeling groggy.This has been happening for a week now.I never had the problem before.Any ideas?
__________________
There is no shortcut to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #66  
Old 09-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 76
Threads: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Reputation: 34
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shravs24 View Post
Hi,
Today dint go as well as anticipated.Things went well till about 12 and then after that for four hours time just flew by and I found myself hardly doing anything.I was sitting in front of the book but the pages wouldnt move.So I took a long break and now I will study for a little while and go to bed.
Brainstem half done.To be completed tomorrow with an addition of a chapter or two to it.Im unable to sleep at night.I sleep late and have a very restless sleep.May be I am tensed.Il try and go to bed a little early today , but the problem is that I just cant fall asleep till 2 pm and I cant concentrate after 12.So the whole day I end up feeling groggy.This has been happening for a week now.I never had the problem before.Any ideas?
Hey, I can relate to how you are feeling. Just remember that all of us who are preparing for these exams have to go through similar stress. It's just the question of how well we learn to deal with it. I think you are over-working yourself. I mean you are not allowing yourself time out. It seems to me that even when you are taking a break you are thinking too much about your prep. I'm only guessing these things though.

My suggestion would be this: Firstly, try to understand your own study habits. You know, like how long you can study without getting distracted. Use this as a base line and take short breaks in between. Try to do what you enjoy in this time to re-power yourself. I like listening to music or cooking. It could be different for you. The important thing is when you sit down to study, you seriously study. When you are taking a break, just forget about everything and have fun for a while.

I know it's easy to suggest as even I have problems following it. This has helped me so hopefully it will help you. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Shravs24 (09-27-2011)
  #67  
Old 09-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispy View Post
Hey, I can relate to how you are feeling. Just remember that all of us who are preparing for these exams have to go through similar stress. It's just the question of how well we learn to deal with it. I think you are over-working yourself. I mean you are not allowing yourself time out. It seems to me that even when you are taking a break you are thinking too much about your prep. I'm only guessing these things though.

My suggestion would be this: Firstly, try to understand your own study habits. You know, like how long you can study without getting distracted. Use this as a base line and take short breaks in between. Try to do what you enjoy in this time to re-power yourself. I like listening to music or cooking. It could be different for you. The important thing is when you sit down to study, you seriously study. When you are taking a break, just forget about everything and have fun for a while.

I know it's easy to suggest as even I have problems following it. This has helped me so hopefully it will help you. Good luck to you!
Yeah, you are absolutely right.I should try that.The problem is something or the other comes up and I tend to spend more time than needed on it and then I waste away some more time worrying over the time I wasted.I know its foolish but I realized retrospectively that that is exactly how I waste most of my time.
__________________
There is no shortcut to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ispy (09-28-2011)
  #68  
Old 09-27-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Sorry dint get much done from morning and I dont know how much I will get done now.Been busy with some documents and stuff.Anyhow Il try and study as much as I can.Will report at the end of the day.
__________________
There is no shortcut to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #69  
Old 09-29-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Hi,
The plan is to finish neuroanat by saturday..
__________________
There is no shortcut to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #70  
Old 10-08-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 16
Threads: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 21
Default try a library...

Hey Shravs
I was kinda in the same situations as u , too many things kept distracting me, my output while studying at home was kinda bad, so i decided to get off my lazy behind and go to a library.
Try that , it might help , in my situation , actually seeing other people sitting around studying seemed to get me back on track , once ur in tempo , dont lose it.
Best wishes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Shravs24 (10-14-2011)
  #71  
Old 10-14-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 69
Threads: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 27
Default

Hi..
Long time..
Well heres whats been happening.I lack the consistency.Im far behind my schedule,realized my greatest enemies are FB,T.V.So will not be logging in everyday.I will keep updating my journal when I come online.Made a timetable,very very tight.Very tensed, but thats not motivating me to sit and spend the desired time with my books.So I will be seeing a lot less of this journal,but will post when ever I log in.Good luck to all..
__________________
There is no shortcut to success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Prep-Journal-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
harlesmd Step 1 Prep Journal harlesmd USMLE Step 1 Forum 47 10-31-2016 05:30 PM
harlesmd Step 2 CK Journal harlesmd USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 5 06-29-2015 05:09 AM
zeal7 Step 1 Prep Journal zeal7 USMLE Step 1 Forum 19 03-02-2013 08:32 AM
Prep Journal -- target:FEB mbbs2010 USMLE Step 3 Forum 31 02-04-2013 07:19 AM
docmish USMLE Prep Journal Log docmish USMLE Step 1 Forum 10 03-27-2011 12:35 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)