Kindly help. Should I continue? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Unhappy Kindly help. Should I continue?

Hi everyone
I'm an Indian IMG, need a visa and I will graduate next year.
I have 2 electives in Internal Medicine.
I just got my step 1 score and I'm really disappointed with it. I got a 218
I was hoping for atleast a 230
NBME 7 (10 days before exam) 235
NBME 12 (1 month before exam) 226
UWSA 2 245
UWSA 1 (2 months before exam) 230
I feel really depressed with this score. I've read a lot about how Step 1 lays the foundation for your USMLE journey. I have to start studying for step 2 CK but I have lost all motivation and I highly question the credibility of these assessment exams.

I want to apply in Pediatrics.

I will be very thankful if some of you can guide me. Should I continue with this journey or start preparing for Indian Pg.
218 is a lower score than the US average score. Do I stand a chance at
all ? Kindly help me. Please.

Last edited by Sunshine~; 12-19-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Anyone ? Please! I'm really anxious. Any input will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

You really don't know till you try. Plenty of people match with a score such as yours. Do step 2CK and get at least 240 which is the current US average. I know you're just looking around for hope right now and there certainly is reason to hope since a low score is better than failing. You'll just have to work harder and get some good contacts. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sunshine~ (12-19-2014)
  #4  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post
You really don't know till you try. Plenty of people match with a score such as yours. Do step 2CK and get at least 240 which is the current US average. I know you're just looking around for hope right now and there certainly is reason to hope since a low score is better than failing. You'll just have to work harder and get some good contacts. Good luck.
Hey thanks a lot for the reply. Can you suggest how much time should I put in CK preparation and what materials should I use ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default you can match!

hey dont worry its a competitive score for paeds. do well on step2 ck and try not to mess up other exams. if u get above 230 in ck (aim for 240) you will get more than 5 plus interviews. also try to finish your step 3 before sept 15. if that done you should have no problems in paeds match
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sunshine~ (12-19-2014)
  #6  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine~ View Post
Hey thanks a lot for the reply. Can you suggest how much time should I put in CK preparation and what materials should I use ?
whats your year of graduation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riya4u View Post
whats your year of graduation?
Hey Riya
Thanks a lot for the encouragement
I'm still doing my internship and I will graduate next year. So my YOG will be 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine~ View Post
Hey Riya
Thanks a lot for the encouragement
I'm still doing my internship and I will graduate next year. So my YOG will be 2015.
Awesome! i dont see a reason y u shouldn't match! try for an elective if possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sunshine~ (12-19-2014)
  #9  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riya4u View Post
Awesome! i dont see a reason y u shouldn't match! try for an elective if possible
Thank you so much
People like you keep the hope alive. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riya4u View Post
Awesome! i dont see a reason y u shouldn't match! try for an elective if possible
Check the paeds match forum to see the scores and number of interviews! dont let anyone tell you its all based on step 1- no its a complete application if you get 240 plus and step 3 u will end up getting 10 plus ivs.So really not an issue but be careful to take this as a motivation to get 240 plus- good luck young man! I made the same mistake of letting my step 1 score affect my steop 2 ck performance dont let that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sunshine~ (12-19-2014)
  #11  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riya4u View Post
Check the paeds match forum to see the scores and number of interviews! dont let anyone tell you its all based on step 1- no its a complete application if you get 240 plus and step 3 u will end up getting 10 plus ivs.So really not an issue but be careful to take this as a motivation to get 240 plus- good luck young man! I made the same mistake of letting my step 1 score affect my steop 2 ck performance dont let that happen.
I will try my best to score well on Step 2.
Thanks for guiding me.
I'm actually a young lady
All the best to you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

well said ! try concetrating on next steps - be thorough with uworls and mtb 2 for ck! good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sunshine~ (12-19-2014)
  #13  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepupnow View Post
well said ! try concetrating on next steps - be thorough with uworls and mtb 2 for ck! good luck
Thanks a lot Stepupnow.
All the best to you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 12-19-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

I think false hope is as bad as no hope. It's getting tougher to match simply because imgs are getting better. 240 for you is a minimum on step 2ck. 10 invites guarantees a very good chance of matching. You won't get it with a 230. Your YOG is your main advantage. Make no mistake ,you need to work your butt off,but it's certainly possible. It just annoys me when people guarantee 10 plus invites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sunshine~ (12-20-2014)
  #15  
Old 12-20-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post
I think false hope is as bad as no hope. It's getting tougher to match simply because imgs are getting better. 240 for you is a minimum on step 2ck. 10 invites guarantees a very good chance of matching. You won't get it with a 230. Your YOG is your main advantage. Make no mistake ,you need to work your butt off,but it's certainly possible. It just annoys me when people guarantee 10 plus invites.
Volkman i dont know if you are in match process now- i am a current applicant but in IM- my friend 218/ 239 has 7 paeds iv and 1 IM iv If had completed step3 i am sure he will get 10 ivs minimum- yes the match is hard but do check with someone before you discourage someone- he has 1 month of elective and graduated in 2014- sunshine has nt yet graduated and if she has step 3 before sept i CAN guarantee. May be you said in good intensions but do check the facts

BBelow is IM residency match list:
nitish1988- 233/236/passed/2 electives+4 obsie/2014/need visa- Newark Beth Israel Jersey City, St Joseph AZ, Aventura FL, Allegheny, Holy Cross/Miami Miller FL, Orange Park FL, Reading PA, St Lukes MO, Texas Tech Odessa, Brandon FL
rani001- 233/223/pass/2009/4m externship/currently on research and observership x3m- U.Toledo Medical Center OH, Case Western/Case Medical Center, Robert Packer/Guthrie, Sayre PA, Oschner, St John Hospital MI, MSU, U.Maryland

did you see and thats for IM peds is less competitive and both of them didnt complete step 3 thats 10 ivs each- SO ITS VERY MUCH POSSIBLE IF ITS PEDIATRICS!!!!!

Last edited by riya4u; 12-20-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Sunshine~ (12-20-2014)



  #16  
Old 12-20-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 8
Threads: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

I need advice. I'm a IMG currently in the process of studying for the Step 1 first attempt. I got graduated in 2014. I have been studying since January. Did Kaplan LN + videos, FA once, 16 question blocks of UW, Average score 55%. My dilema is, should I keep studying till I finished all the UW or should I consider to take a kaplan live course? If I decide to keep studying by myself, how long should I studying to pump up my score? When is the proper time to take the NBME? Please, if anyone can give me advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 12-20-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 27
Threads: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthzaine View Post
I need advice. I'm a IMG currently in the process of studying for the Step 1 first attempt. I got graduated in 2014. I have been studying since January. Did Kaplan LN + videos, FA once, 16 question blocks of UW, Average score 55%. My dilema is, should I keep studying till I finished all the UW or should I consider to take a kaplan live course? If I decide to keep studying by myself, how long should I studying to pump up my score? When is the proper time to take the NBME? Please, if anyone can give me advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
No one can advise you with these information. Only you know what kind of medical student you are, how much you studied. i am a lil surprised as you have been preparing for one year almost- how many hours a day? have you been working? May be you need a study partner or someone to look in what is wrong. you can always ask a senior in your medical school as they might know you better. I dont think taking a live course at this time is the right
I can offer you help only if i know which subject you are weak or f you have any specific doubts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 12-20-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riya4u View Post
Volkman i dont know if you are in match process now- i am a current applicant but in IM- my friend 218/ 239 has 7 paeds iv and 1 IM iv If had completed step3 i am sure he will get 10 ivs minimum- yes the match is hard but do check with someone before you discourage someone- he has 1 month of elective and graduated in 2014- sunshine has nt yet graduated and if she has step 3 before sept i CAN guarantee. May be you said in good intensions but do check the facts

BBelow is IM residency match list:
nitish1988- 233/236/passed/2 electives+4 obsie/2014/need visa- Newark Beth Israel Jersey City, St Joseph AZ, Aventura FL, Allegheny, Holy Cross/Miami Miller FL, Orange Park FL, Reading PA, St Lukes MO, Texas Tech Odessa, Brandon FL
rani001- 233/223/pass/2009/4m externship/currently on research and observership x3m- U.Toledo Medical Center OH, Case Western/Case Medical Center, Robert Packer/Guthrie, Sayre PA, Oschner, St John Hospital MI, MSU, U.Maryland

did you see and thats for IM peds is less competitive and both of them didnt complete step 3 thats 10 ivs each- SO ITS VERY MUCH POSSIBLE IF ITS PEDIATRICS!!!!!
My intention wasn't to discourage but to lend some perspective. It's as easy to give examples of people matching with low scores as it is to give examples of people NOT matching with high scores. I know a guy with 233/240/CS 1ST/2013 who only got 4 invites. I do agree that peds is easier than IM. I'm just saying that if you fell short of the average in step one you've gotta step up in step 2CK. I'm an IMG and I'd love to believe I could be guaranteed of matching with 218/230. The simple truth is YOU CANT, unless you make up for it with contacts, electives and a fresh YOG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 12-21-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post
My intention wasn't to discourage but to lend some perspective. It's as easy to give examples of people matching with low scores as it is to give examples of people NOT matching with high scores. I know a guy with 233/240/CS 1ST/2013 who only got 4 invites. I do agree that peds is easier than IM. I'm just saying that if you fell short of the average in step one you've gotta step up in step 2CK. I'm an IMG and I'd love to believe I could be guaranteed of matching with 218/230. The simple truth is YOU CANT, unless you make up for it with contacts, electives and a fresh YOG.
i dnt mean to argue but i dnt think your friend is applying in peds peds and im are different. im and psych are different. If he is applying in peds then he has some major problems with his application - may be wrote blunders in P.S and just to be sure is y i said take step3. 218/233/cs 1 st attempt/220 2015 graduate is a sure shot for 10 plus ivs in peds...sunshine just to make sure just go to fb forum 2015 match and post the same question.

R U IN THIS MATCH ? if nt the old rule of only step 1 counts has changed the whole application matters and step 3 is a huge plus

i am nt giving any example of some random inspirational story the above stats are of people who have posted in this forum 2015 match. please go and check before you say something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 12-21-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riya4u View Post
i dnt mean to argue but i dnt think your friend is applying in peds peds and im are different. im and psych are different. If he is applying in peds then he has some major problems with his application - may be wrote blunders in P.S and just to be sure is y i said take step3. 218/233/cs 1 st attempt/220 2015 graduate is a sure shot for 10 plus ivs in peds...sunshine just to make sure just go to fb forum 2015 match and post the same question.


R U IN THIS MATCH ? if nt the old rule of only step 1 counts has changed the whole application matters and step 3 is a huge plus

i am nt giving any example of some random inspirational story the above stats are of people who have posted in this forum 2015 match. please go and check before you say something
You need to go back and read what I typed slowly. Then maybe read it again so it sinks in. I never said a person can't match with 218/230. I said it's a HINDRANCE which has to be balanced by a very recent YOG and USCE.
As to your question. NO, I'M NOT IN THIS YEAR'S MATCH. I am a permanent resident with scores of 245/258, but my YOG is 2010. I decided to apply next year so I could get more USCE. As things stand I wouldn't get very many invites in IM even though my scores are above average.
USMLE and a residency in the US can cost MILLIONS of rupees. It's still very much doable but if you think it's easy especially with mediocre scores, then you're sadly mistaken. The only thing I agree with is peds being easier than IM. I don't appreciate being singled out for discouraging anyone. On the contrary I told her it's very much possible BUT MORE DIFFICULT since her score is less than the average. Maybe you should watch what you type before criticizing others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 12-23-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post
You need to go back and read what I typed slowly. Then maybe read it again so it sinks in. I never said a person can't match with 218/230. I said it's a HINDRANCE which has to be balanced by a very recent YOG and USCE.
As to your question. NO, I'M NOT IN THIS YEAR'S MATCH. I am a permanent resident with scores of 245/258, but my YOG is 2010. I decided to apply next year so I could get more USCE. As things stand I wouldn't get very many invites in IM even though my scores are above average.
USMLE and a residency in the US can cost MILLIONS of rupees. It's still very much doable but if you think it's easy especially with mediocre scores, then you're sadly mistaken. The only thing I agree with is peds being easier than IM. I don't appreciate being singled out for discouraging anyone. On the contrary I told her it's very much possible BUT MORE DIFFICULT since her score is less than the average. Maybe you should watch what you type before criticizing others.
dear i am just pointing out based n facts and u dont have the facts ready. u r just basing it on ur gut feeling which i dont think is the right way. yes u have above average scores and but your yog and her yog is different. And once you are inside match you will know how it works. i cant do anything for your ignorance right now. As a matter of fact they prefer fresh graduates.
I am here giving you all the examples not my personal stories but from usmle forum match section? did you even bother to look it there. I am not criticizing you. Even i thought it was like that. But i have seen fresh grads getting lots of interview. i did specifically state that step 3 is a must
218/230/220 plus elective i can guarentee 10 ivs . in Btwn how many ivs do you say this profile will get oh and people without peds experience im applicants got 4 to 5 ivs with marks in 230 - peds is relatively easy to get in so live with that

And i dont want to continue this argument!! Best wishes for match.. but do watch out for the yog.. I would have told you to apply this match- any way your decision!! Good luck ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 12-23-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riya4u View Post
dear i am just pointing out based n facts and u dont have the facts ready. u r just basing it on ur gut feeling which i dont think is the right way. yes u have above average scores and but your yog and her yog is different. And once you are inside match you will know how it works. i cant do anything for your ignorance right now. As a matter of fact they prefer fresh graduates.
I am here giving you all the examples not my personal stories but from usmle forum match section? did you even bother to look it there. I am not criticizing you. Even i thought it was like that. But i have seen fresh grads getting lots of interview. i did specifically state that step 3 is a must
218/230/220 plus elective i can guarentee 10 ivs . in Btwn how many ivs do you say this profile will get oh and people without peds experience im applicants got 4 to 5 ivs with marks in 230 - peds is relatively easy to get in so live with that

And i dont want to continue this argument!! Best wishes for match.. but do watch out for the yog.. I would have told you to apply this match- any way your decision!! Good luck ...
Thank you 'DEAR'. None of what I said was based on gut feeling. Please take your unsolicited advice and shove down someone else's throat. Pretty awesome advice too, give up USCE and US LORs for one fewer year since graduation. Do keep replying. I'll be happy to school you though it seems pretty hopeless. By the way you never mentioned electives when you first prophesied 10 IVs. Sure 210/230/220 +months of electives, good letters etc.....even I'll say 10+ IVs are probable. Though I'd never be moronic enough to say I'd GUARENTEE it. If you think 218/230/220/2015 with no USCE can guarantee 10 invites then it's either low IQ or some awesome hallucinogens. I hope it's the latter cos I'd like some too
Anyway, I'm done with delusional ignoramuses. http://www.usmle-forums.com/img-resi...orumsite/20683
That link is for sunshine. It's an account of an actual intelligent person who matched. She only got 9 interviews but had given step 3 a little late and was slow applying to a few places. She would've got 10+ invites but as you can see hers is a pretty good application. One thing I can GUARENTEE is that there are NO guarantees. Keep your options open, study hard and do your best. Anyway, good luck Sunshine. I hope you match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 12-23-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post
Thank you 'DEAR'. None of what I said was based on gut feeling. Please take your unsolicited advice and shove down someone else's throat. Pretty awesome advice too, give up USCE and US LORs for one fewer year since graduation. Do keep replying. I'll be happy to school you though it seems pretty hopeless. By the way you never mentioned electives when you first prophesied 10 IVs. Sure 210/230/220 +months of electives, good letters etc.....even I'll say 10+ IVs are probable. Though I'd never be moronic enough to say I'd GUARANTEE it. If you think 218/230/220/2015 with no USCE can guarantee 10 invites then it's either low IQ or some awesome hallucinogens. I hope it's the latter cos I'd like some too
Anyway, I'm done with delusional ignoramuses. http://www.usmle-forums.com/img-resi...orumsite/20683
That link is for sunshine. It's an account of an actual intelligent person who matched. She only got 9 interviews but had given step 3 a little late and was slow applying to a few places. She would've got 10+ invites but as you can see hers is a pretty good application. One thing I can GUARANTEE is that there are NO guarantees. Keep your options open, study hard and do your best. Anyway, good luck Sunshine. I hope you match.
wow so much hatred!! But just closely look at the profile

1. VITAMIN K applied REALLY late- i am surprised that she actually got that much ivs
2. As you had mentioned she gave step3 after sept which again cuts down ivs in img friendly community programs
3. She didnt have a great step3 score( NOT A BIG DEAL)

yes you have mentioned it in your profile so dont you think that sunshine being a recent grad will get 10 ivs if she work hard. May be even without CK 240 ? (god bless may she get a 250)

if you had looked at my previous post you could see that i told sunshine to try for electives. Of course i didnt meant that you could get 10 ivs without USCE.She would have to get that even if she had 233 in step 1. You should definitely read my post( which ironically is the same post quoted by you to reply that i dint mention electives) which clearly say 218 230 220 PLUS Electives. But you were so lost in argument that you dont even read that.

what i told her was that 218/233/220 with good lors and usce i can guarantee 10 ivs minimum in todays circumstance. I have seen many with similar profile. AND YOUR friend he was in IM right? why dont you tell that?

But i am sorry that i commented on your profile. it just came spontaneously to me so i wrote.. But what i said was that you could have applied this year with those nice scores. anyways i am sorry its none of my business.

" It's getting tougher to match simply because imgs are getting better. 240 for you is a minimum on step 2ck. 10 invites guarantees a very good chance of matching. You won't get it with a 230. " I can see that you said this to which i really object. But i am glad that you got my point in ur next post
"Sure 210/230/220 +months of electives, good letters etc.....even I'll say 10+ IVs are probable." LOL! Anyway i am not going to call you moronic or idiotic just because you called me that, You make a mistake y argue about it. We both are trying to help someone. So we could do it without making a big deal about it!!!

BUT THANK YOU FOR THE LINK OF VITAMIN K IT REALLY PROVES MY POINT ...IF YOU AVOID THOSE MISTAKES YOU CAN SUNSHINE!!
CHECK this link too :2013 Pediatrics Residency Matching Applicants a response by a Avash.nrs you will get an idea of whats going on in peds residency. And may be consider what point i am getting at instead of thowing those praises at me

Last edited by riya4u; 12-23-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 12-24-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riya4u View Post
wow so much hatred!! But just closely look at the profile

1. VITAMIN K applied REALLY late- i am surprised that she actually got that much ivs
2. As you had mentioned she gave step3 after sept which again cuts down ivs in img friendly community programs
3. She didnt have a great step3 score( NOT A BIG DEAL)

yes you have mentioned it in your profile so dont you think that sunshine being a recent grad will get 10 ivs if she work hard. May be even without CK 240 ? (god bless may she get a 250)

if you had looked at my previous post you could see that i told sunshine to try for electives. Of course i didnt meant that you could get 10 ivs without USCE.She would have to get that even if she had 233 in step 1. You should definitely read my post( which ironically is the same post quoted by you to reply that i dint mention electives) which clearly say 218 230 220 PLUS Electives. But you were so lost in argument that you dont even read that.

what i told her was that 218/233/220 with good lors and usce i can guarantee 10 ivs minimum in todays circumstance. I have seen many with similar profile. AND YOUR friend he was in IM right? why dont you tell that?

But i am sorry that i commented on your profile. it just came spontaneously to me so i wrote.. But what i said was that you could have applied this year with those nice scores. anyways i am sorry its none of my business.

" It's getting tougher to match simply because imgs are getting better. 240 for you is a minimum on step 2ck. 10 invites guarantees a very good chance of matching. You won't get it with a 230. " I can see that you said this to which i really object. But i am glad that you got my point in ur next post
"Sure 210/230/220 +months of electives, good letters etc.....even I'll say 10+ IVs are probable." LOL! Anyway i am not going to call you moronic or idiotic just because you called me that, You make a mistake y argue about it. We both are trying to help someone. So we could do it without making a big deal about it!!!

BUT THANK YOU FOR THE LINK OF VITAMIN K IT REALLY PROVES MY POINT ...IF YOU AVOID THOSE MISTAKES YOU CAN SUNSHINE!!
CHECK this link too :2013 Pediatrics Residency Matching Applicants a response by a Avash.nrs you will get an idea of whats going on in peds residency. And may be consider what point i am getting at instead of thowing those praises at me
Haha, I just went through your profile and dude, don't you have bigger problems to worry about?? Stop trying to win an argument by spewing garbage on a public forum and go light a few candles for your own cause. Any moron knows good letters, USCE and connections can compensate for any score, unless of course if you fail. Don't quote me out of context. Saying that scores ten points or more BELOW the average is competitive borders on lunacy. I keep having to repeat stuff to you but I ACTUALLY LIVE in the states and I'm not some half wit making guarantees about stuff he knows nothing about. Scores are the single most important determinate, period. Now shoo.....you're starting to annoy me.

Last edited by Volkmann; 12-24-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 12-24-2014
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

hi guys..
I've been reading this war of words...and I must say it has been quite amusing till Volkmann's last post.
Volkmann u are such a high headed a**
Just because u have good scores doesn't mean you'll be so rude to someone.
I believe you haven't given CS as yet so you don't really have the right to say that Riya should light candles for her cause.
Don't be a prick.
and Before you question me...my credentials are 261/260/CS 1st attempt YOG 2012 Green Card.
So shut up and don't demean someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 12-24-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDevil View Post
hi guys..
I've been reading this war of words...and I must say it has been quite amusing till Volkmann's last post.
Volkmann u are such a high headed a**
Just because u have good scores doesn't mean you'll be so rude to someone.
I believe you haven't given CS as yet so you don't really have the right to say that Riya should light candles for her cause.
Don't be a prick.
and Before you question me...my credentials are 261/260/CS 1st attempt YOG 2012 Green Card.
So shut up and don't demean someone.
Awww, I've been chastised by Dr. Devil himself. Aren't you gallant to be shoving your two cents in for no apparent reason. I won't shut up but I do commend you for being so brave on an anonymous forum. I think riya or whoever she is can argue quite adequately on her own. I'm not proud of my scores at all. I think they're decidedly average considering the rest of my application, hence the decision to take an extra year to bolster my resume with work experience. All my previous threads have voiced that concern simply because graduates are so good these days. Anyhow, for anyone else following this thread, I'm not a prick; just super opinionated once in awhile. I've always tried to be honest and help people on this forum. Anyway, I agree I was harsh to Riya4u the and I apologize. The stuff I wrote were in the heat of the moment because I was annoyed at being accused of discouraging someone . Plus the disparaging remarks and hints at my YOG struck a nerve. Once again, sorry Riya4u. I'm gonna beat a hasty retreat before anymore officious #$&* s emerge from the woodwork. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 12-24-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post
Haha, I just went through your profile and dude, don't you have bigger problems to worry about?? Stop trying to win an argument by spewing garbage on a public forum and go light a few candles for your own cause. Any moron knows good letters, USCE and connections can compensate for any score, unless of course if you fail. Don't quote me out of context. Any moron knows good letters, USCE and connections can compensate for any score, unless of course if you fai. I keep having to repeat stuff to you but I ACTUALLY LIVE in the states and I'm not some half wit making guarantees about stuff he knows nothing about. Scores are the single most important determinate, period. Now shoo.....you're starting to annoy me.
Dont you have bigger problems to worry about?- yes sir but i cant do anything about it but i can certainly help people with my experience

Any moron knows good letters, USCE and connections can compensate for any score, unless of course if you fail ---well sorry to inform not every moron knows.. infact me of course a super moron according to you didnt know that a year ago but may be you should know that even a fail can be compensated though hard.

the puzzle of average in step1 many people raise the average by getting 260s and 270s. its not absolute predictor as the 260s just raise the average. yes i do agree score are most important thing!

I ACTUALLY LIVE in the states seriously that your biggest strength! I didnt knew that the air in usa could make you intelligent

Last edited by riya4u; 12-24-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 12-24-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post

Awww, I've been chastised by Dr. Devil himself. Aren't you gallant to be shoving your two cents in for no apparent reason. I won't shut up but I do commend you for being so brave on an anonymous forum. I think riya or whoever she is can argue quite adequately on her own. I'm not proud of my scores at all. I think they're decidedly average considering the rest of my application, hence the decision to take an extra year to bolster my resume with work experience. All my previous threads have voiced that concern simply because graduates are so good these days. Anyhow, for anyone else following this thread, I'm not a prick; just super opinionated once in awhile. I've always tried to be honest and help people on this forum. Anyway, I agree I was harsh to Riya4u the and I apologize. The stuff I wrote were in the heat of the moment because I was annoyed at being accused of discouraging someone . Plus the disparaging remarks and hints at my YOG struck a nerve. Once again, sorry Riya4u. I'm gonna beat a hasty retreat before anymore officious #$&* s emerge from the woodwork. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone.
Thanks for the apology if you really meant it. But even while you are apologizing the language is of hate. if it weren't for dr.devil you wouldnt have known that you made a mistake but then you start being harsh to him. You may be super intelligent person but when u r in residency no one remembers your scores your yog- but everyone remembers your attitude. if you cant even carryout a simple argument without so much fuzz (kudos for nice language) your residency will be hard experience.

you infact stated that you live in us with a green card i think thats your problem. i need a visa and i know that how it for someone in foreign country with limited knowledge about the whole damned process would feel!! so thats y i felt the urge to help her more.

If you really meant the apology i think you owe it to dr devil too. Now coming to the issue why cant you still get it that matching in peds is easy and that profile can get her good number of interview. being super opinionated doesnt mean you can change your stand if you make a mistake. i think thats the sign of strength.

yours sincerely

devils advocate

oh by theway i got ivs at some nice places. so i think the candle trick works!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 12-24-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

When I said I live in the states I meant I talk with docs here who are family and friends. They all say it's hard and to get as much USCE as possible. The air does nothing except block your nose and crack your lips.
I'm largely to blame for this devolving into an insulting match. Anyhoo, adios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 12-24-2014
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkmann View Post
When I said I live in the states I meant I talk with docs here who are family and friends. They all say it's hard and to get as much USCE as possible. The air does nothing except block your nose and crack your lips.
I'm largely to blame for this devolving into an insulting match. Anyhoo, adios.
merry christmas and a happy new year may you match in a great place. continue helping people- let this may not be a reason not to do so! have a great day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 12-24-2014
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 433
Threads: 27
Thanked 186 Times in 113 Posts
Reputation: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riya4u View Post
merry christmas and a happy new year may you match in a great place. continue helping people- let this may not be a reason not to do so! have a great day!!
You too. I really need to work on my temper issues. Good luck and I hope you match at a great place. I'm being sincere, so don't doubt it. Tc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 07-11-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Hey..
Here is an IMG.. YOG will b 2016..
Recently got my step 1 score.. 233 (lower than expectation)
Should i give up? If not then how much chances r there for me to get matched in 2017..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confusion.. Kindly help rachna USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 08-07-2014 11:32 AM
name issue kindly please help SBSheikh IMG/FMG Forum 0 03-07-2014 12:36 AM
kindly help me! dr.inspiration USMLE Step 1 Forum 0 07-25-2013 12:52 AM
Should I continue? aspirant5 IMG Residency Match Forum 5 05-01-2013 08:29 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)