My Step 1 Experience - 265 :) - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-28-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 42 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default My Step 1 Experience - 265 :)

Hi folks! I have been a regular visitor of this forum but i have not posted anything till now. Some of the posts in this forum were quite helpful, helped me plan for my Step 1. So since i am finally done with Step 1, i wanted to share my experience with you. Hope this is useful for you guys

Background: IMG

Preparation time :
Total of 12 months. I worked at a hospital for the first 9 months, then took a break from my job and had a proper dedicated study time of 3 months before the exam.

Study Materials:
1. Kaplan notes with videos : 2 times, once with videos. This is the most important thing. Kaplan should be your primary study material. Study these well and try to understand, not memorize.

2. Goljan Pathology : Twice ( First time with audio)

3. Pathoma( Videos only) : Twice

4. First Aid : 5-6 times . I don't really need to say anything about this book. Everywhere you look, you can see people raving about this book and it is for a reason. This is one of the most important preparation tool. But do not read FA before you read Kaplan. FA is not ideal as a solitary preparation book, it is more of a revision tool that helps you remember the most frequently tested topics. From my experience, you should try to go through this book as many times as possible and try to memorize it front-back but only after you understand the concepts from Kaplan.

5. UWORLD : Twice (Offline). Once again, this is not your primary study tool. Finish Kaplan and then do UWORLD (or you can do both of these simultaneously). It develops your test taking skills, lets you anticipate the type of questions you get, and consolidates your concepts.

6. NBME :
OFFLINE: Started doing offline NBMEs about 3 months before my exam. I would do 2 timed sets a week (8 hrs to simulate the exam)
NBME 1: 174/200 (26 mistakes) NBME 2 : 180/200
NBME 3 : 182/200 NBME 4: 178/200 NBME 5: 181/200
NBME 6 : 185/200 NBME 7: 182/200

ONLINE:
NBME 15: 2 wks before the exam, 264
NBME 16: 1 wk before the exam, 260

7. UWSA ONLINE: UWSA 1: 265 UWSA 2:260


8. Google for images, X rays, CTs and MRIs


Real Exam:

Exam was not that difficult. I would say it was pretty similar to NBME 16 with a combination of short/long questions, some straight recall and some conceptual ones. A few incontinence questions, 2 ECGs, 2 Murmurs, couple of calculations and a few never before seen questions. Questions were well distributed among all the subjects. Time management is key, do not spend a lot of time on confusing questions, tick what you think is the most likely answer,mark it and move on. I marked on average 6-7 questions per block (15 questions in one block). I finished all the blocks in about 50-55 minutes, so had enough time to go over my marked questions.

In summary, i would say Kaplan + FA + Uworld is perfectly adequate for a 250+ score in Step 1. Fine tune your test taking skill and with a little bit of luck , 260 is possible.

Best of luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ALBASHIIR (02-28-2015), amulyab88 (03-08-2015), anoushay khan (03-01-2015), Arhtur liu (03-09-2015), deariederaa (03-03-2015), DR_MEHDIKASHANI (02-28-2015), draimmle (03-20-2015), drgarry (03-01-2015), drmoth (03-08-2015), DrSea (03-03-2015), fibrinoid (02-28-2015), girlfridaymd (03-07-2015), Hopefuldoc (02-28-2015), ibrar (03-07-2015), Idrees Khan (03-01-2015), Javeria Shah (03-21-2015), Jeesan (03-08-2015), madhuker reddy (11-07-2015), MarcelloSantos (03-06-2015), Master shifu (03-01-2015), Med4life (03-09-2015), mehdihemmati (02-28-2015), mk09 (02-28-2015), nervous system (03-03-2015), pd10 (02-28-2015), pkgajera (03-01-2015), rafafulano86 (02-28-2015), samandal (03-15-2015), shahzeenmurad (03-05-2015), sozme (03-05-2015), usmle.2016 (02-28-2015), vrunda@1109 (03-08-2015)



  #2  
Old 02-28-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 83
Threads: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Cool

Hey congratulations for such a great score!
How many hours did you study daily?
how did you go about Goljan? (Some say only studying blue margin notes)
Did you annotate into FA? What sources?

thanks. Congrats again!

Last edited by pd10; 02-28-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-28-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

congrats and god bless you for this inspiring story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 02-28-2015
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 207
Threads: 19
Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
Reputation: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho88 View Post
Hi folks! I have been a regular visitor of this forum but i have not posted anything till now. Some of the posts in this forum were quite helpful, helped me plan for my Step 1. So since i am finally done with Step 1, i wanted to share my experience with you. Hope this is useful for you guys

Background: IMG

Preparation time :
Total of 12 months. I worked at a hospital for the first 9 months, then took a break from my job and had a proper dedicated study time of 3 months before the exam.

Study Materials:
1. Kaplan notes with videos : 2 times, once with videos. This is the most important thing. Kaplan should be your primary study material. Study these well and try to understand, not memorize.

2. Goljan Pathology : Twice ( First time with audio)

3. Pathoma( Videos only) : Twice

4. First Aid : 5-6 times . I don't really need to say anything about this book. Everywhere you look, you can see people raving about this book and it is for a reason. This is one of the most important preparation tool. But do not read FA before you read Kaplan. FA is not ideal as a solitary preparation book, it is more of a revision tool that helps you remember the most frequently tested topics. From my experience, you should try to go through this book as many times as possible and try to memorize it front-back but only after you understand the concepts from Kaplan.

5. UWORLD : Twice (Offline). Once again, this is not your primary study tool. Finish Kaplan and then do UWORLD (or you can do both of these simultaneously). It develops your test taking skills, lets you anticipate the type of questions you get, and consolidates your concepts.

6. NBME :
OFFLINE: Started doing offline NBMEs about 3 months before my exam. I would do 2 timed sets a week (8 hrs to simulate the exam)
NBME 1: 174/200 (26 mistakes) NBME 2 : 180/200
NBME 3 : 182/200 NBME 4: 178/200 NBME 5: 181/200
NBME 6 : 185/200 NBME 7: 182/200

ONLINE:
NBME 15: 2 wks before the exam, 264
NBME 16: 1 wk before the exam, 260

7. UWSA ONLINE: UWSA 1: 265 UWSA 2:260


8. Google for images, X rays, CTs and MRIs


Real Exam:

Exam was not that difficult. I would say it was pretty similar to NBME 16 with a combination of short/long questions, some straight recall and some conceptual ones. A few incontinence questions, 2 ECGs, 2 Murmurs, couple of calculations and a few never before seen questions. Questions were well distributed among all the subjects. Time management is key, do not spend a lot of time on confusing questions, tick what you think is the most likely answer,mark it and move on. I marked on average 6-7 questions per block (15 questions in one block). I finished all the blocks in about 50-55 minutes, so had enough time to go over my marked questions.

In summary, i would say Kaplan + FA + Uworld is perfectly adequate for a 250+ score in Step 1. Fine tune your test taking skill and with a little bit of luck , 260 is possible.

Best of luck!!!

hey congrats and thank you so much for sharing your experience. how mny hours were you able to study in a day?
do you think pathoma played a big roal in answering patho questions or was goljan enough.
lastly, did you use any other qbank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Javeria Shah (03-21-2015), pd10 (02-28-2015)
  #5  
Old 02-28-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 42 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

* I studied something like 5-6 hrs a day while i was working. Later i would study about 10-12 hrs a day.
* I studied complete chapters from goljan. I have also heard people say they read only the margin notes, but since i did not do that i cannot say how effective that is. For me Goljan notes + Pathoma video is the best combination. You get a lot of pathology/pathophysiology questions in the exam, so investing a bit of time in pathology is totally worth it.
* Yes, I annotated in my FA, actually a lot. I would write everything, from mnemonics found in forums to things from kaplan. This makes it easier in the last 5-6 days before the exam when you can concentrate on only one book.
* No, i did not use any other qbank. I used Uworld only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
girlfridaymd (03-07-2015), Javeria Shah (03-21-2015), Master shifu (03-01-2015), mk09 (03-01-2015), pd10 (03-01-2015)
  #6  
Old 03-01-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 47
Threads: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default Uworld only offline ?

Hey ,Congrats on an awesome score . Did you do Uworld only offline twice ? did you do any random timed mode ? any extra qbank ? do you feel doing q bank for 8 hours for many days prior to exam date is a must ? I have lost my peak .I am doubting if uworld is sufficient or not . Shall i go for kaplan or USMLE Rx?Please reply .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-01-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

I am using FA 2014 with studying Kaplan n Goljan .
Should I buy FA 2015?
I have not done to much with FA 2014.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-01-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 23
Threads: 16
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 17
Question thanks u very much

i want to ask about goljan pathology that u use : do u use goljan rapid review 4th edition(the big book 771 pages) or the 3rd edition(638 pages) ? or goljan old notes ?..... how long do u read this book?....and how long do u read kaplan lecture notes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pd10 (03-01-2015)
  #9  
Old 03-02-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 42 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgajera View Post
I am using FA 2014 with studying Kaplan n Goljan .
Should I buy FA 2015?
I have not done to much with FA 2014.?
I did FA 2014 only, so i do not know what's been added in the new FA, but i guess FA 2014 is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pkgajera (03-02-2015)
  #10  
Old 03-02-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 42 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agabozy View Post
i want to ask about goljan pathology that u use : do u use goljan rapid review 4th edition(the big book 771 pages) or the 3rd edition(638 pages) ? or goljan old notes ?..... how long do u read this book?....and how long do u read kaplan lecture notes?
I did the 4th edition goljan. It took me about a month first time with audio and about 3 wks next time. Goljan takes a little bit of your time but take it as a good investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
agabozy (03-02-2015), pd10 (03-05-2015), pkgajera (03-02-2015)
  #11  
Old 03-02-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 23
Threads: 16
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 17
Question Kaplan Lecture NOTES Study time

First Time ,Kaplan Lecture Notes with videos.........months?
Second Time ,Kaplan Lecture notes without videos ........months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 03-05-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 42 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agabozy View Post
First Time ,Kaplan Lecture Notes with videos.........months?
Second Time ,Kaplan Lecture notes without videos ........months?
First time: 3-4 months
second time: about 5 weeks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pd10 (03-05-2015)
  #13  
Old 03-05-2015
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 304
Threads: 76
Thanked 74 Times in 51 Posts
Reputation: 84
Default

about UW
1,How much time did u take to finish a block reading + annotation ?
2,how much stuff approx. did u need to add to FA from UW ?
3, did u annotate in FA or not and why ?

congrats
__________________
No Pain.. No Gain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
pd10 (03-05-2015)
  #14  
Old 03-07-2015
girlfridaymd's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 15
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

I get really happy and feel positive with posts such as yours. Congratulations. I am about to start my journey and your posts gave me so much inspiration. I hope you continue to give your experiences as you venture into the next steps!
Godbless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 03-08-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 6
Threads: 1
Thanked 42 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwal View Post
about UW
1,How much time did u take to finish a block reading + annotation ?
2,how much stuff approx. did u need to add to FA from UW ?
3, did u annotate in FA or not and why ?

congrats
I did not time the block while doing UW, so i can't tell you exactly. Some days i would do it quickly, other days quite slowly, the point being i wasn't concerned about time while solving UW. And yes i did annotate in FA a lot, anything that i found interesting in UW, i would write it down. In the end, my FA looked very messy but i could only read FA in the last few days and cover a lot of topics, so this was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message






Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bnp1000 experience of 265 in step 2 CK bnp1000 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 30 4 Weeks Ago 07:57 PM
My experience with step 1(264) & 2CK(265) Tgdel87 USMLE Step 1 Forum 98 4 Weeks Ago 05:06 AM
drssbaz Step 2CK Experience; 265 drssbaz USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 20 12-06-2014 10:14 AM
Here is how I got my 265 on the Step 1 exam medstudent23 USMLE Step 1 Forum 26 10-11-2012 03:15 AM
My experience with step 1(264) & 2CK(265) Tgdel87 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 21 02-25-2012 05:35 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)