Need advice please, should I cancel my exam - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 1
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Need advice please, should I cancel my exam

Hi everyone, been a lurker for a while but recently just joined and wanted to make a post.

I'm kind of in a weird situation and I'm looking for some feedback if possible on what I should do and any advice is greatly appreciated.

I took step 1 last year august and failed by <15 points. I decided to retake it again so I've been studying since and already have my scheduled date for it in literally 15 days.

I already finished DIT 2014 since around early February, UWorld (finished mid-Feb with an overall 61, working on my incorrect blocks now), and just finished redoing Pathoma (last week).

I took UWSA 1 (mid-January) and scored a 219, I was happy to see that. I decided to take NBME 12 (end of January) but scored a 183. I don't get how that happened but I think that I second guessed alot of answers that I initially had correct.
Anyway, so I decided I needed to do more UW along with FA and thought I had to redo Pathoma which I finished last week.
Since my exam is scheduled for March 26th, and I started scoring over 70% on uworld blocks and around 48-54% on my incorrect blocks, I decided it was time to take an NBME today so I did. I took NBME 16 today and scored a 168. I am so disappointed because I really thought I wouldve seen a passing score. I just don't understand how my scores don't correlate at all. I feel like my UW scores are pretty decent and I would at least expect to see a pass on at least one NBME.

I'm here to ask for any advice on what should I do. Should I cancel my exam through ECFMG and reapply when my scores start to pass on NBME's? But I would have to repay the >$800 fee for ECFMG but I guess that's better than failing step 1 again.
I'm really at a loss for words, if anyone has anything it would be a great help and really appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 09-19-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

its better to cancel then to fail again. but determine to start again more harder than before. don't give up, if not you then who and if not now then when. best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-23-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 41
Threads: 7
Thanked 35 Times in 11 Posts
Reputation: 45
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAP View Post
Hi everyone, been a lurker for a while but recently just joined and wanted to make a post.

I'm kind of in a weird situation and I'm looking for some feedback if possible on what I should do and any advice is greatly appreciated.

I took step 1 last year august and failed by <15 points. I decided to retake it again so I've been studying since and already have my scheduled date for it in literally 15 days.

I already finished DIT 2014 since around early February, UWorld (finished mid-Feb with an overall 61, working on my incorrect blocks now), and just finished redoing Pathoma (last week).

I took UWSA 1 (mid-January) and scored a 219, I was happy to see that. I decided to take NBME 12 (end of January) but scored a 183. I don't get how that happened but I think that I second guessed alot of answers that I initially had correct.
Anyway, so I decided I needed to do more UW along with FA and thought I had to redo Pathoma which I finished last week.
Since my exam is scheduled for March 26th, and I started scoring over 70% on uworld blocks and around 48-54% on my incorrect blocks, I decided it was time to take an NBME today so I did. I took NBME 16 today and scored a 168. I am so disappointed because I really thought I wouldve seen a passing score. I just don't understand how my scores don't correlate at all. I feel like my UW scores are pretty decent and I would at least expect to see a pass on at least one NBME.

I'm here to ask for any advice on what should I do. Should I cancel my exam through ECFMG and reapply when my scores start to pass on NBME's? But I would have to repay the >$800 fee for ECFMG but I guess that's better than failing step 1 again.
I'm really at a loss for words, if anyone has anything it would be a great help and really appreciated. Thanks

Interesting history. And what was the end of the history? What did you do? Did you cancelled it. And now have you already taken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I cancel the exam? Enchanted USMLE Step 1 Forum 7 06-07-2016 04:37 PM
cancel the exam to take it on next extension period kang0162 USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 05-12-2013 01:45 AM
Any one cancel/reschedule May exam us2012 USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 3 04-12-2013 07:19 PM
To Cancel or not to Cancel Step 1 empoy80 USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 01-03-2012 12:34 PM
Can I cancel the exam and get a refund! forawee ECFMG Forum 2 07-18-2011 04:13 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)