First aid filled with Kaplan notes + UWorld question - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-13-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
First Aid First aid filled with Kaplan notes + UWorld question

To all my experiences users:

I know that similar threads have been posted in the past, but I wanted to make my question a bit more specific.

I have a First Aid filled with Kaplan notes. I plan on doing Usmle world now along with this note filled first aid.

How should I study from these two materials during the day?

Unfortunately usmle world doesn't give references to the first aid which makes my job more difficult. Should I do usmle world questions according to the order of first aid? For example start with biostats/behavioral first aid reading and biostats/behaviroal questions. Then do biochem fa and uworld and then embryo fa and uworld and eventually the systems for example fa cardio anatomy uworld cardio anatomy and then fa cardio phsyio and then uworld cardio physio.

Or should I read fa for 1 quarter of the day like a novel and then spend the rest of the day doing random questions from uworld and reading the explanations?

Hope this made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 10-13-2011
shyangel18's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 388
Threads: 48
Thanked 237 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 247
Send a message via MSN to shyangel18
Default

Good question! First of all hats off to u for annotating all of kaplan! I did that too. But only for micro. Pharma n biochem. N sum biostats! Fysio was too much of annotating. So i jus go thru the kaplan book instead as n wen needed.
Now cuming to ur question. Do it random timed. Never make the mistake of doing it subject wise. Prepare urself for the actual exam. N make sure u annotate here too. Id suggest goto a book store m get ur fa ring bimded n add sum xtra pages at end of each chapter. Ull run out of space by the time ur half way thru iw. Or use sticky notes. But annotate annotate annotate. Its a trouble i agree. Flipping thru whole of fa. Lookin for the particular topik. But its worth it in the end. I made tabs for each subject. That way its faster n easier for me to the particular subject im looking for.
Hope this helped
__________________
Ppl come here to study n ponder
I am here to Excell like Thunder!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dwijeshsheth (01-16-2014), Highlander (11-10-2012), hope2015 (06-23-2013), Kaizen (10-04-2014), mikemike (10-14-2011), Nitika (11-10-2012), Saiyeda (01-16-2013), shashi singh (08-14-2014)
  #3  
Old 10-14-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 71
Threads: 18
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyangel18 View Post
Good question! First of all hats off to u for annotating all of kaplan! I did that too. But only for micro. Pharma n biochem. N sum biostats! Fysio was too much of annotating. So i jus go thru the kaplan book instead as n wen needed.
Now cuming to ur question. Do it random timed. Never make the mistake of doing it subject wise. Prepare urself for the actual exam. N make sure u annotate here too. Id suggest goto a book store m get ur fa ring bimded n add sum xtra pages at end of each chapter. Ull run out of space by the time ur half way thru iw. Or use sticky notes. But annotate annotate annotate. Its a trouble i agree. Flipping thru whole of fa. Lookin for the particular topik. But its worth it in the end. I made tabs for each subject. That way its faster n easier for me to the particular subject im looking for.
Hope this helped
Hello dere...
I really loved ur advise but wat can b done if already my FA is full of stick on notes of Kaplan q bank...I'll be doing u world soon,so was wondering if it wud make any difference if i just take a diary and make UW notes in it(m refeering to random notes and not subject wise)...any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 10-14-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 438
Threads: 111
Thanked 232 Times in 132 Posts
Reputation: 242
Smile

You should do it random timed.
If you are already familiar with FA is easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mikemike (10-14-2011)
  #5  
Old 10-14-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Thanks for the advice guys. What you say makes sense. However after reviewing the explanation for each question, should I look for that in the FA as well?

Also, I have been adding notes to first aid and with doing uworld and adding those notes to first aid, i was wondering, when do i get time to actually read my first aid with the new notes? is this something we should just do on the side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-14-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 125
Threads: 50
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 39
Help How many blocks per day ? (on average)

Hey guyz...how many uworld blocks are you able to do per day ? It takes me a WHOLE DAY to just get past one exam and revise it ! I really feel terrible Is this normal?

I already finished 10 exams and each of them is taking a complete day (an average of 10-11 hours) !!

P.S : I know it differs from person to person but just on average...?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
roodiemd (10-14-2011)
  #7  
Old 10-14-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope007 View Post
Hey guyz...how many uworld blocks are you able to do per day ? It takes me a WHOLE DAY to just get past one exam and revise it ! I really feel terrible Is this normal?

I already finished 10 exams and each of them is taking a complete day (an average of 10-11 hours) !!

P.S : I know it differs from person to person but just on average...?!
Hey hope, when you say it takes you a day to do uworld questions, does that mean that you are doing uworld questions while reading the complete explanations(including why the other answers are wrong) and addding them to first aid?

If so, then yeah I think thats normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
hope007 (10-14-2011)
  #8  
Old 10-14-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

I still dont understand how people are able to go throuh 2 3 blocks unless they know their questions and background really well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-14-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 438
Threads: 111
Thanked 232 Times in 132 Posts
Reputation: 242
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope007 View Post
Hey guyz...how many uworld blocks are you able to do per day ? It takes me a WHOLE DAY to just get past one exam and revise it ! I really feel terrible Is this normal?

I already finished 10 exams and each of them is taking a complete day (an average of 10-11 hours) !!

P.S : I know it differs from person to person but just on average...?!

That happens to me too. I did my exam and I score 99 (243).
Don't get stressed about that. Quality is better than quantity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
hope007 (10-14-2011), mikemike (10-14-2011), MiSeRy (11-11-2012), roodiemd (10-14-2011), tootsie (07-06-2012)
  #10  
Old 10-14-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 125
Threads: 50
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Reputation: 39
Smile Relief !

*phew* Thanks guys..that's a relief

yeah 'mikemike' exactly ! i don't know how do they go on with it. I remember a post saying that he finishes 3-4 blocks per day..that's why i thought i was some kind of turtle lol

thank you evavar Congrats on your score..you just gave me a sign i could be on the right track
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mikemike (10-14-2011)
  #11  
Old 10-14-2011
shyangel18's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 388
Threads: 48
Thanked 237 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 247
Send a message via MSN to shyangel18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumedha View Post
Hello dere...
I really loved ur advise but wat can b done if already my FA is full of stick on notes of Kaplan q bank...I'll be doing u world soon,so was wondering if it wud make any difference if i just take a diary and make UW notes in it(m refeering to random notes and not subject wise)...any suggestions?
yes u dont hav a choice. but id suggest. get a book with dividers.. so that u can write in subject wise. if u start jotting down stuff randomly, it will too haphazard for u to be able to revise stuff properly. so do it subject wise. infact for patho, make diff tabs for cvz,neuro, endo, etc. u world is a lot of info u need to retain till the end! goodluck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
shashi singh (08-14-2014)
  #12  
Old 10-14-2011
shyangel18's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 388
Threads: 48
Thanked 237 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 247
Send a message via MSN to shyangel18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. What you say makes sense. However after reviewing the explanation for each question, should I look for that in the FA as well?

Also, I have been adding notes to first aid and with doing uworld and adding those notes to first aid, i was wondering, when do i get time to actually read my first aid with the new notes? is this something we should just do on the side?
yes dont fret over quantity. quality is the key!!
also id suggest u look for that particular topik in fa n make notes there. its gona be worth it in the end. trust me.
and yes do make a point to revise atleast 20 pgs of FA daily. n dunwry take it slowly. u dont hav to master FA n UW straightaway. giv it a month. n evrthing will sink in. u will be able to revw FA along with ur UW blocks! its jus a matter of time!
goodluck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mikemike (10-14-2011), shashi singh (08-14-2014)
  #13  
Old 10-14-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyangel18 View Post
yes dont fret over quantity. quality is the key!!
also id suggest u look for that particular topik in fa n make notes there. its gona be worth it in the end. trust me.
and yes do make a point to revise atleast 20 pgs of FA daily. n dunwry take it slowly. u dont hav to master FA n UW straightaway. giv it a month. n evrthing will sink in. u will be able to revw FA along with ur UW blocks! its jus a matter of time!
goodluck
appriciate all the help. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 10-15-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

So the best way to do uworld is do it random+timed mode, and after you're done, go over the answers, recording those facts in either (first aid) or (a folder with dividers)? I think I will have a separate binder for my uworld notes and read those sections along with my first aid.

Is it usually pretty obvious what topic the question is asking? The reason I am asking is because I haven't done uworld and from what i have heard, it combines everything together, so I won't know if the question is a micro question, or an immuno, biochem, or path question. With kaplan qbank its easy to tell what subject the question is coming from. How's uworld and what do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (10-15-2011)
  #15  
Old 11-10-2012
Highlander's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 111
Threads: 15
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyangel18 View Post
Good question! First of all hats off to u for annotating all of kaplan! I did that too. But only for micro. Pharma n biochem. N sum biostats! Fysio was too much of annotating. So i jus go thru the kaplan book instead as n wen needed.
Now cuming to ur question. Do it random timed. Never make the mistake of doing it subject wise. Prepare urself for the actual exam. N make sure u annotate here too. Id suggest goto a book store m get ur fa ring bimded n add sum xtra pages at end of each chapter. Ull run out of space by the time ur half way thru iw. Or use sticky notes. But annotate annotate annotate. Its a trouble i agree. Flipping thru whole of fa. Lookin for the particular topik. But its worth it in the end. I made tabs for each subject. That way its faster n easier for me to the particular subject im looking for.
Hope this helped
Hi how did you manage to annotate Kaplan notes in first aid? Can you please suggest me how. It would be great if you could also send me a sample page image /screenshot so that I will be able to make effective notes. I am doing Q banks these days. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 11-10-2012
Highlander's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 111
Threads: 15
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default Subject wise or Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyangel18 View Post
Good question! First of all hats off to u for annotating all of kaplan! I did that too. But only for micro. Pharma n biochem. N sum biostats! Fysio was too much of annotating. So i jus go thru the kaplan book instead as n wen needed. ...
Hope this helped
Hi, thanks for the post and the suggestions. I too agree that random and timed modeis the best way to do it. I just have some problem. I finished with my first read during which I tried my best to get the concept. I have two months left for the exam and I recently started with Uworld, just been two days. I am confused whether to do the second read with FA and Uworld, all at the same time (for which I thought it would be wise to do a subject wise). But as you said doing subject wise would be a mistake, I am confused as to how I should proceed. Another problem is that I have not gone through FA till now so it will be tiring to look up the page(everytime) on which I should be annotating the notes from Uworld. What do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 11-10-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 20
Threads: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 17
Default @hope007 1block/day

dont worry those of u who can only do a block per day.

after some time the explanations to uworld qs are gonna start repeating (not the Qs but the explanations) then ull be able to do 2-3 blocks easily. just be patient for now.

on the whole the number of concepts are limited but they can make unlimited number of Qs about them. this is why i love uworld, coz the number of Qs are just enough, they cud easily make 4000 Qs but the concepts will just keep repeating.

Id say abt half way thru ull be able to do 2-3 blocks and by the time u reach the final quarter of Qs there will be nothing more to annotate and ull just be doing the Qs and u can do 4 blocks of that in a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
laveee (11-22-2012)
  #18  
Old 11-22-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 17
Threads: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default I hv the same doubt

looking up the page can be solved by looking for it in its pdf file rather going through whole book everytime...
about going subjectwise or directly landing on uworld is point of my confusion as well... i am almost over with my first read as well..and dunno how to proceed ahead.
2nd read with fa,going to kaplans(subjectwise)..or 2nd read with uworld,fa n only going to kaplan notes when i need concepts?how????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
Hi, thanks for the post and the suggestions. I too agree that random and timed modeis the best way to do it. I just have some problem. I finished with my first read during which I tried my best to get the concept. I have two months left for the exam and I recently started with Uworld, just been two days. I am confused whether to do the second read with FA and Uworld, all at the same time (for which I thought it would be wise to do a subject wise). But as you said doing subject wise would be a mistake, I am confused as to how I should proceed. Another problem is that I have not gone through FA till now so it will be tiring to look up the page(everytime) on which I should be annotating the notes from Uworld. What do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 01-15-2013
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

I started doing uworld and tried annotating into FA but took over 8 hours to do 40 ?s.

Here's my question for anyone that may have tried this:

I'm thinking of just using the highlight function on uworld and then searching in FA for the relevant topic and simply writing into FA the corresponding test and question number from uworld. (i.e. sicke cell anemia : test #24-quesiton#35).

Is this an effective method? or am I screwing myself over when I go over everything in FA during the last 10 days before the exam? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 04-27-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Help with the notes!!

Hi, thanks for all you help to each one of you.

I'm really confuse, when you say that is good to take notes, are you referring to add more thing of any theme that is not complete on the FA or to add new themes that aren't in the FA???

for example in the part that speaks about sleeps disorders, I have to do notes about the ones that are in the FA or add for example sleep apnea that is not included in that section???

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UWorld question..are you serious? Hope2Pass USMLE Step 1 Forum 16 1 Week Ago 03:34 AM
Taking notes in Uworld doctorsmonsters USMLE Step 1 Forum 13 05-23-2011 08:33 AM
UWorld Alone or UWorld and Kaplan londondreams USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 02-01-2011 05:33 PM
Question on Kaplan Anatomy lec notes Villageman USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 12-31-2010 01:08 PM
Kaplan Notes alone or Notes + DVDs! sheila USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 05-03-2010 09:56 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)