My Step 1 experience 258/89 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2011
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Smile My Step 1 experience 258/89

Hi,
I got my score 258/89 (the 89 is not a mistake ) and i would like to share my experience with you all
First of all I would like to thank all the forum members who helped me by posting important questions and answers. It help me increase my knowledge many fold.

I will start by describing about myself.
I am a International medical student from India and will be graduating in 2012.

Time it took me to study for step 1: 7 months

Books used( subject wise )
Anatomy : KLN with videos, Langmans embryology (not required) and FA
Biochemistry : KLN ( watched videos only for genetics) and FA
Physiology : KLN with videos and FA
Microbiology : KLN , clinical microbiology made simple and FA
Immunology : KLN and FA
Pathology : Goljans RR + Goljan audio and FA
Pharmacology : KLN with videos and FA
Behavioral sciences and Biostats : KLN with videos , Conrad Fischer 100 cases (only questions) and FA

Question Banks used in order ( with scores )
Kaplan Step 1 qbank (70 %)
Uworld (79 %)
Free questions along with Goljan (87 %)

NBME given in order ( with scores )
NBME 7 : 6 weeks before (580 "240")
NBME 11 : 20 days before ( 590 "242")
NBME 12 : 3 days before ( 640 " 254")

Preparation
Started in march with a plan to read all subject except patho from KLN along with videos. Planned to complete first reading of every subject from KLN within 15 days.
Started of well finishing Anatomy with videos in 15 days.
Biochemistry: lecture videos where very boring so I skipped videos and
finished the subject in around 16 to 17 days. Watched Genetics
videos along with KLN.
Physiology : Took me around 22 days to read KLN and videos all together.
Immunolology : Finished in 8 days without videos from KLN
Microbiology : Read CMMRS instead of KLN. It took me 15 days
Pathology : Read goljan RR instead of KLN along with goljan audio.Took me 30
days
Pharmacology : Read KLN along with videos. Completed in 13 days.
Behavioral sciences : Read KLN and watched videos. Completed in 15 days

So in all it took me approximately 4 and half months to finish my first reading. It took me so long cause I did take lots of days off in between plus had my internship going on. You can definately finish off earlier

I had started Kaplan qbank after completing immunology. Did FA while reviewing questions. Did kaplan qbank subject wise timed (i.e started off with anat+bio+phy+immuno) and added each subject as I completed them

Planned to read second time from KLN (no videos) throughout with each subject only for 7 days.
Anatomy : Completed as planned
Biochem : Completed as planned
Physiology : Completed as planned
Immuno and microbiology : Completed as planned
Pharmacology : Completed as planned plus read extra points from FA
Pathology : Read only general pathology. Was very bored to read RR again
read only hematology from RR ( my favorite part).
Behavioral science : Read from FA instead and read some missing chapter from
KLN ( eg human developement)

I didn't feel the need to go through patho again as I had read FA numerous times while solving questions from QBank.

Had started Uworld after this.My graph in Uworld kept on rising with some falls in between ( attached my graph )
I used to keep on visiting this forum for questions. I was weak in behavioral science so made it a point to see all questions from the forum.

In the last month went through FA twice from cover to cover with images.
Completed Fischers 100 cases and used webpath for images.
8 Days before I started with the free questions with Goljan RR.
Gave form 12 3 days before exam

I tried to match my body clock for the exam 7 days before. Used to go to bed at 9 pm and wake up by 6am. This helped me a lot during the exam day.

For my exam day experience here

I ended the exam with 35 minutes of break time remaining and was not at all stressed during the exam. Its an easy exam all you need is
CONFIDENCE !!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Uworld Result.bmp (216.1 KB)
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
A.K99 (01-29-2013), aks1987 (12-21-2012), Andrew88 (09-17-2012), aniraiqbal93 (07-10-2016), anitha (02-24-2016), ba.sofia1987 (11-02-2013), belindalimm (10-29-2011), bismah23 (11-28-2012), captopril (05-06-2012), chanduM (03-21-2016), ChrisSDOC (10-18-2013), Doc4Step1 (09-14-2012), docji (10-29-2011), doctor_ind (03-19-2014), doctrepntr111 (10-30-2011), docusmle9 (10-30-2011), docvarman (05-27-2015), Dr .Rupa (09-25-2013), Dr.MGM (06-30-2013), dr.sash (02-28-2013), drhma (10-29-2011), drmachado (10-29-2011), emmax2alfa (09-21-2012), Evergreen (10-30-2011), FaFa (02-16-2016), fat1iscool (04-27-2012), gagz (09-18-2013), hippocampus3 (10-25-2013), hope12 (05-03-2012), jetty.vikas (01-19-2015), koolkiller88 (05-09-2012), Layla937 (10-02-2013), Marķa Zavala (02-02-2015), maria_d (10-29-2011), maryjoseph (10-23-2013), maxstop (07-21-2013), Mdtgce (09-15-2012), mehta (09-14-2012), mikemike (10-29-2011), mim171 (08-12-2014), mizzy (04-26-2012), nishtarian N56 (01-27-2013), noha83 (09-24-2013), nsesereso (04-06-2013), pal2140 (10-30-2011), raghuvanshi (04-17-2013), Rajvidyarthi (04-16-2013), rockstep1 (09-25-2012), rozirose (10-29-2011), Saiyeda (09-15-2012), shaheerpak (10-29-2011), shayandokht (09-14-2012), sibb (11-03-2011), srmc06 (05-16-2012), swwal (06-20-2013), tai35 (09-16-2012), tangled (09-15-2012), terminator (10-29-2011), thought8 (05-29-2013), tootsie (04-27-2012), usmle2011 (10-29-2011), usmled10 (12-15-2014), val7 (10-29-2011), venky2600 (04-26-2012), vita86 (07-20-2013), wuzzy (10-29-2012), Yula (12-08-2011)



  #2  
Old 10-29-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 30
Threads: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Reputation: 24
Help

Congrats!!! thats a really great score!.For 2nd read of kLN did you take 7 days for each subject or for all the subjects?Is it ok if we can skip FA ?Can we get 250+ with kLN and Uworld..What really helped you to get 250+?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (10-30-2011), nishaa (11-26-2012), usmled10 (10-23-2014)
  #3  
Old 10-29-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 76
Threads: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 45
Default Thank you!!!

Thank you for posting your experience and Congrats again for the great score
May I ask how many hours per day did you study?
Thanks again for your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (10-30-2011)
  #4  
Old 10-29-2011
drhma's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 193
Threads: 29
Thanked 134 Times in 71 Posts
Reputation: 144
Send a message via MSN to drhma
Default

mayursn39 --> congratulations! ur score is beautiful


Quote:
Originally Posted by priyanka.N View Post
Congrats!!! thats a really great score!.For 2nd read of kLN did you take 7 days for each subject or for all the subjects?Is it ok if we can skip FA ?Can we get 250+ with kLN and Uworld..What really helped you to get 250+?
you dont skip FA, it's a must for STEP1.. it sums up all the things u need to know in bullet points... DONT SKIP FA, keep reviewing the hell out of it! good luck
__________________
i'm so bad i make medicine sick,
Imma show you how great i am

Last edited by drhma; 10-29-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (10-30-2011)
  #5  
Old 10-29-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

congrats great score. u mentiond in ur read dat u did goljan RR plus goljan questions from where u get the goljan questions or qbank. 2nd i also finish first read of all subjects so do i also give 2nd read to KLN or jst do FA wth usmle qbank.plz reply me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (10-30-2011)
  #6  
Old 10-29-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 191
Threads: 8
Thanked 121 Times in 76 Posts
Reputation: 131
Default

Hey great score buddy.Congratulations!!I am also doing internship in India and planning to take the step1 in feb.Can you please tell me hw did you used your Uworld.I mean did you do it in random time mode or subectwise, also when exactly in your preperation did you started it like after giving 2 reading of kaplan and FA or along with first reading of FA?I also wanted to ask you that is it fine if I skip only patho questions of Kaplan Q bank?Will U WORLD cover the Patho part or you suggest doing both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (10-30-2011)
  #7  
Old 10-29-2011
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 404
Threads: 108
Thanked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Reputation: 80
Default

how important is kaplan q bank in the prep..can one do with out it or do an offline vrsion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (10-30-2011)
  #8  
Old 10-29-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 19
Threads: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default Congrats

Why 89.Is there any changes in reporting scores.Please reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-29-2011
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 512
Threads: 57
Thanked 318 Times in 163 Posts
Reputation: 328
Default Thanks

Thanks a lot for this awesome post.

I am also in the internship year of my MBBS and i know how hard it would have been for you.I am done wid Kaplan 2 reads alongside FA leaving Anatomy and Pharma, hope 2 finish it in coming fifteen days.My exam is in December last week.Am i a bit late?
Currently i am doing Kaplan qbank just left wid Anatomy and Pharmacology questions. Do you think i should start with U world now or wait until i finish whole of the qbank.
Also my next module of internship is in medicine department , so its going to be hectic so do you advice to take leave from internship for the last two month.Did you do that?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (10-30-2011)
  #10  
Old 10-29-2011
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 99
Threads: 15
Thanked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 51
Default

How were ur basics when u started the prep...meaning were the basic sciences subjects fresh in your mind at the start of your prep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (10-30-2011)
  #11  
Old 10-29-2011
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 208
Threads: 60
Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Reputation: 86
Default

Hi Just wanted to congratulate you on that amazing score. So let me get this straight, you only read cmmrs for micro and did not watch the kaplan micro vids or read the kaplan micro lecture notes? you only read cmmrs twice(once in the beginning and once in the end)?

I am having trouble deciding what to do for micro so your input would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (10-30-2011)
  #12  
Old 10-29-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 71
Threads: 18
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

congrats....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (10-30-2011)
  #13  
Old 10-29-2011
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

I didnt get it. Y 89 wid 258 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 10-30-2011
doctrepntr111's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1 + CK
Posts: 33
Threads: 5
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 34
Thumbs Up

congrats mayur39...awesum score...even im doin my intrnship now. will graduate in 2012..i did all subjcts from kapln excpt path(from golijan rr and audio) now doing uw...i hav elgiblty till march but i seriously wanna finish off in jan ending..
i got some quesns ...pls answer if u can...
im scorin realy low on uw plus i feel like im forgetn lot of stuff from kln...i wanna stop uw and read kln but my subscriptns gonna end soon also
wat wud u suggest i do after uw...kaplqbank...and when to take nbmes...
hope u reply...tnks in advance and 1nce again congrats on ur awesum scre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
mayursn39 (10-30-2011)
  #15  
Old 10-30-2011
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyanka.N View Post
Congrats!!! thats a really great score!.For 2nd read of kLN did you take 7 days for each subject or for all the subjects?Is it ok if we can skip FA ?Can we get 250+ with kLN and Uworld..What really helped you to get 250+?
Thank you. For the second read I took 7 days each subject. You cannot skip FA, its very important. I think going through FA the second time made my score jump from 242 to 254 on the NBMEs
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
chanduM (03-21-2016)



  #16  
Old 10-30-2011
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmachado View Post
Thank you for posting your experience and Congrats again for the great score
May I ask how many hours per day did you study?
Thanks again for your post.
Thank you.In the beginning I studied for about 4 hours a day but it increased to upto 6-8 hours towards the end.
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drmachado (10-30-2011)
  #17  
Old 10-30-2011
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by naush View Post
congrats great score. u mentiond in ur read dat u did goljan RR plus goljan questions from where u get the goljan questions or qbank. 2nd i also finish first read of all subjects so do i also give 2nd read to KLN or jst do FA wth usmle qbank.plz reply me
Thank you. Did those questions from student consult website which is mentioned on the cover of the book. I went through KLN cause I thought I had forgotten some important concepts or points. You cannot read FA for concepts. I didn't do KLN for patho and behavioral cause I was sure of the concepts.
Best Of luck
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 10-30-2011
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitkmc View Post
Hey great score buddy.Congratulations!!I am also doing internship in India and planning to take the step1 in feb.Can you please tell me hw did you used your Uworld.I mean did you do it in random time mode or subectwise, also when exactly in your preperation did you started it like after giving 2 reading of kaplan and FA or along with first reading of FA?I also wanted to ask you that is it fine if I skip only patho questions of Kaplan Q bank?Will U WORLD cover the Patho part or you suggest doing both?
Hey thanks. The best way of using Uworld is random blocks timed. I had started Uworld after completing qbank so I think that was after the second read of KLN.
I had gone through FA many times while reviewing Qbank.
Don`t skip any questions. The more questions you do the more confident you feel. I ended up doing 6000+ questions after which I had the confidence to take the step 1 exam.
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 10-30-2011
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmle2011 View Post
Thanks a lot for this awesome post.

I am also in the internship year of my MBBS and i know how hard it would have been for you.I am done wid Kaplan 2 reads alongside FA leaving Anatomy and Pharma, hope 2 finish it in coming fifteen days.My exam is in December last week.Am i a bit late?
Currently i am doing Kaplan qbank just left wid Anatomy and Pharmacology questions. Do you think i should start with U world now or wait until i finish whole of the qbank.
Also my next module of internship is in medicine department , so its going to be hectic so do you advice to take leave from internship for the last two month.Did you do that?

Thanks.
I recommend complete your qbank then move on to Uworld. Try doing uworld random blocks timed.
No you are not late.
I was lucky not to have any of my majors (med surg obgy) during my prep. I had taken only 15 days off from anesthesia towards the end. If in case you cant manage take some days off.
Best of luck
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
usmled10 (10-23-2014)
  #20  
Old 10-30-2011
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman466s View Post
how important is kaplan q bank in the prep..can one do with out it or do an offline vrsion?
I found Qbank to be great. It added up some bare facts which were not given in FA. You can definately do without it but the behavioral science section of qbank is very close to that what is asked in the exam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimesonboy View Post
How were ur basics when u started the prep...meaning were the basic sciences subjects fresh in your mind at the start of your prep?
No not fresh at all. It was very boring to read the first year subjects again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
Hi Just wanted to congratulate you on that amazing score. So let me get this straight, you only read cmmrs for micro and did not watch the kaplan micro vids or read the kaplan micro lecture notes? you only read cmmrs twice(once in the beginning and once in the end)?
Hey thank you.I found CMMRS vey good for the clinical aspects but they mentioned very little information about culture and special characteristics of bacteria and fungi. After CMMRS I was scoring about 60 % on the qbank. When I completed Kaplan for microbiology (second read) it jumped off to 90-95 %. So I recommend doing Kaplan instead of CMMRS. I found the videos boring and less important so I skipped them.
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 10-30-2011
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabarishkg View Post
Why 89.Is there any changes in reporting scores.Please reply
Yes the scoring system for 2 digits have been changed for those who took the exam after oct 1st 2011. It is discussed here
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 10-30-2011
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrepntr111 View Post
congrats mayur39...awesum score...even im doin my intrnship now. will graduate in 2012..i did all subjcts from kapln excpt path(from golijan rr and audio) now doing uw...i hav elgiblty till march but i seriously wanna finish off in jan ending..
i got some quesns ...pls answer if u can...
im scorin realy low on uw plus i feel like im forgetn lot of stuff from kln...i wanna stop uw and read kln but my subscriptns gonna end soon also
wat wud u suggest i do after uw...kaplqbank...and when to take nbmes...
hope u reply...tnks in advance and 1nce again congrats on ur awesum scre
Thank you. Don`t stop Uworld as it will be of no use if the subscription expires.
try revising some part of KLN everyday. So by the end of U world you will finish KLN once again or at least some part of it. Even I felt like I was forgetting loads of stuff so I did KLN again instead of moving on to FA.
Don`t worry about your score on U world. Try to get as much of info into FA as you go through questions. Q bank is inferior to U world according to me. If you have the $$ then do Q bank coz the more questions you do the more it will benefit you. Take one NBME at least 6 weeks before. If You feel you are 10 digits or more below your targeted score you can postpone the exam.
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
sibb (11-03-2011), usmled10 (10-23-2014)
  #23  
Old 10-30-2011
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 59
Threads: 19
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

hi thanks for the reply.jst tell me one the thing the usmleconsult website hv correct questions and answers or they hv any problem b/c i heard dat it hv wrong questions waiting for reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 10-30-2011
mayursn39's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 189
Threads: 20
Thanked 506 Times in 99 Posts
Reputation: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naush View Post
hi thanks for the reply.jst tell me one the thing the usmleconsult website hv correct questions and answers or they hv any problem b/c i heard dat it hv wrong questions waiting for reply.
i dont think any of the questions had a problem. I felt the answers were genuine without mistakes. Plus the images are quite good. I had a similar looking image for my exam.
__________________
Don`t Let Others Tell You What You Cannot Do !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 10-30-2011
shyangel18's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 388
Threads: 48
Thanked 235 Times in 128 Posts
Reputation: 245
Send a message via MSN to shyangel18
Default

hey one last question..
i did Kaplan Notes+UW+FA.. took UWSA1 yest. got 236/580. i kno uwsa overshoots ur score. my xam is in exactly a months time. im planning to do Kaplan Qbank Now. do u think its doable or should i delay my exam?? or i cud just use their High Yield Option instead. plz Help :S
__________________
Ppl come here to study n ponder
I am here to Excell like Thunder!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aruna.tokas (10-30-2011)



  #26  
Old 04-26-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 134
Threads: 12
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Hi congrats on your amazing score!!!!

I also studied in india..at kasturba medical college..

Whr did you do ur mbbs???

Im preparing for the step 1 right now also..

I took kaplan live lectures and now im studying on my own..i'm doin the 1st read of all kaplan notes and videos on my own..

During live lectures..it was too fast and was too tired to study at the end of the day..plus my basics are not so great..so doesn't help much...b/c i never did kaplan b4 goin to live lectures...

Right now im doing 2nd run through with uworld...do you suggest doing any other qbank now? Or should iwait till i finish all kaplan notes 1 time around? Do you recommend doing kaplan qbank and usmlerx or just pick in btw those???

With questions..when u were doing first time read of kaplan how many q's a day did you do??? Did u write down the explanations..?

Did you also save first aid till amonth b4..or u were using it as you did kaplan? And how did you use it???

Did u ever do dit.. Videos?

If you can help that would be great thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 09-14-2012
shayandokht's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 23
Threads: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 18
Default

congratsss for ur great score....

i wish that one day i can share my experience like u with 250+ score...

i have 2 questions:
1. is kaplan Qbank a must? do u recommend it?
2. which edition of CMMRS did u study? i have the third edition... but there is a fifth edition as well which is more lengthy... do u think i should buy the new version again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 09-14-2012
Official Advertiser Representative
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 23
Threads: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to MedicalBoards
Default Congratulations

You did great work -- congratulations on an awesome score!! The Institute of Medical Boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 09-14-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayursn39 View Post
Hi,
I got my score 258/89 (the 89 is not a mistake ) and i would like to share my experience with you all
First of all I would like to thank all the forum members who helped me by posting important questions and answers. It help me increase my knowledge many fold.

I will start by describing about myself.
I am a International medical student from India and will be graduating in 2012.

Time it took me to study for step 1: 7 months

Books used( subject wise )
Anatomy : KLN with videos, Langmans embryology (not required) and FA
Biochemistry : KLN ( watched videos only for genetics) and FA
Physiology : KLN with videos and FA
Microbiology : KLN , clinical microbiology made simple and FA
Immunology : KLN and FA
Pathology : Goljans RR + Goljan audio and FA
Pharmacology : KLN with videos and FA
Behavioral sciences and Biostats : KLN with videos , Conrad Fischer 100 cases (only questions) and FA

Question Banks used in order ( with scores )
Kaplan Step 1 qbank (70 %)
Uworld (79 %)
Free questions along with Goljan (87 %)

NBME given in order ( with scores )
NBME 7 : 6 weeks before (580 "240")
NBME 11 : 20 days before ( 590 "242")
NBME 12 : 3 days before ( 640 " 254")

Preparation
Started in march with a plan to read all subject except patho from KLN along with videos. Planned to complete first reading of every subject from KLN within 15 days.
Started of well finishing Anatomy with videos in 15 days.
Biochemistry: lecture videos where very boring so I skipped videos and
finished the subject in around 16 to 17 days. Watched Genetics
videos along with KLN.
Physiology : Took me around 22 days to read KLN and videos all together.
Immunolology : Finished in 8 days without videos from KLN
Microbiology : Read CMMRS instead of KLN. It took me 15 days
Pathology : Read goljan RR instead of KLN along with goljan audio.Took me 30
days
Pharmacology : Read KLN along with videos. Completed in 13 days.
Behavioral sciences : Read KLN and watched videos. Completed in 15 days

So in all it took me approximately 4 and half months to finish my first reading. It took me so long cause I did take lots of days off in between plus had my internship going on. You can definately finish off earlier

I had started Kaplan qbank after completing immunology. Did FA while reviewing questions. Did kaplan qbank subject wise timed (i.e started off with anat+bio+phy+immuno) and added each subject as I completed them

Planned to read second time from KLN (no videos) throughout with each subject only for 7 days.
Anatomy : Completed as planned
Biochem : Completed as planned
Physiology : Completed as planned
Immuno and microbiology : Completed as planned
Pharmacology : Completed as planned plus read extra points from FA
Pathology : Read only general pathology. Was very bored to read RR again
read only hematology from RR ( my favorite part).
Behavioral science : Read from FA instead and read some missing chapter from
KLN ( eg human developement)

I didn't feel the need to go through patho again as I had read FA numerous times while solving questions from QBank.

Had started Uworld after this.My graph in Uworld kept on rising with some falls in between ( attached my graph )
I used to keep on visiting this forum for questions. I was weak in behavioral science so made it a point to see all questions from the forum.

In the last month went through FA twice from cover to cover with images.
Completed Fischers 100 cases and used webpath for images.
8 Days before I started with the free questions with Goljan RR.
Gave form 12 3 days before exam

I tried to match my body clock for the exam 7 days before. Used to go to bed at 9 pm and wake up by 6am. This helped me a lot during the exam day.

For my exam day experience here

I ended the exam with 35 minutes of break time remaining and was not at all stressed during the exam. Its an easy exam all you need is
CONFIDENCE !!
congrags for ur amazing score
u used RR goljan patho (126 pages ) or the bog one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 09-14-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayursn39 View Post
Hi,
I got my score 258/89 (the 89 is not a mistake ) and i would like to share my experience with you all
First of all I would like to thank all the forum members who helped me by posting important questions and answers. It help me increase my knowledge many fold.

I will start by describing about myself.
I am a International medical student from India and will be graduating in 2012.

Time it took me to study for step 1: 7 months

Books used( subject wise )
Anatomy : KLN with videos, Langmans embryology (not required) and FA
Biochemistry : KLN ( watched videos only for genetics) and FA
Physiology : KLN with videos and FA
Microbiology : KLN , clinical microbiology made simple and FA
Immunology : KLN and FA
Pathology : Goljans RR + Goljan audio and FA
Pharmacology : KLN with videos and FA
Behavioral sciences and Biostats : KLN with videos , Conrad Fischer 100 cases (only questions) and FA

Question Banks used in order ( with scores )
Kaplan Step 1 qbank (70 %)
Uworld (79 %)
Free questions along with Goljan (87 %)

NBME given in order ( with scores )
NBME 7 : 6 weeks before (580 "240")
NBME 11 : 20 days before ( 590 "242")
NBME 12 : 3 days before ( 640 " 254")

Preparation
Started in march with a plan to read all subject except patho from KLN along with videos. Planned to complete first reading of every subject from KLN within 15 days.
Started of well finishing Anatomy with videos in 15 days.
Biochemistry: lecture videos where very boring so I skipped videos and
finished the subject in around 16 to 17 days. Watched Genetics
videos along with KLN.
Physiology : Took me around 22 days to read KLN and videos all together.
Immunolology : Finished in 8 days without videos from KLN
Microbiology : Read CMMRS instead of KLN. It took me 15 days
Pathology : Read goljan RR instead of KLN along with goljan audio.Took me 30
days
Pharmacology : Read KLN along with videos. Completed in 13 days.
Behavioral sciences : Read KLN and watched videos. Completed in 15 days

So in all it took me approximately 4 and half months to finish my first reading. It took me so long cause I did take lots of days off in between plus had my internship going on. You can definately finish off earlier

I had started Kaplan qbank after completing immunology. Did FA while reviewing questions. Did kaplan qbank subject wise timed (i.e started off with anat+bio+phy+immuno) and added each subject as I completed them

Planned to read second time from KLN (no videos) throughout with each subject only for 7 days.
Anatomy : Completed as planned
Biochem : Completed as planned
Physiology : Completed as planned
Immuno and microbiology : Completed as planned
Pharmacology : Completed as planned plus read extra points from FA
Pathology : Read only general pathology. Was very bored to read RR again
read only hematology from RR ( my favorite part).
Behavioral science : Read from FA instead and read some missing chapter from
KLN ( eg human developement)

I didn't feel the need to go through patho again as I had read FA numerous times while solving questions from QBank.

Had started Uworld after this.My graph in Uworld kept on rising with some falls in between ( attached my graph )
I used to keep on visiting this forum for questions. I was weak in behavioral science so made it a point to see all questions from the forum.

In the last month went through FA twice from cover to cover with images.
Completed Fischers 100 cases and used webpath for images.
8 Days before I started with the free questions with Goljan RR.
Gave form 12 3 days before exam

I tried to match my body clock for the exam 7 days before. Used to go to bed at 9 pm and wake up by 6am. This helped me a lot during the exam day.

For my exam day experience here

I ended the exam with 35 minutes of break time remaining and was not at all stressed during the exam. Its an easy exam all you need is
CONFIDENCE !!
congrags for ur amazing score
u studied goljan rapid review(126pages) or the big goljan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 09-18-2013
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 27
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default repeat goljan

hey ,congrats on getting wonderful scores.
i would like to ask you something,i have done my first read ,now i am reading first aid with UWorld ,in evening i give two hours to repeat goljan as i heard that two third paper is going to be pathophysiology .am i going right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32  
Old 11-26-2014
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 292
Threads: 5
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Congrats for amazing score!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Exam-Results, Step-1-Experience

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Step 1 Experience lemontea88 USMLE Step 1 Forum 21 11-26-2016 04:21 AM
My experience - Step 2 CK, 99 OTAV USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 7 09-21-2012 01:47 AM
Step 1 Experience - 232/99 NGaleas USMLE Step 1 Forum 62 04-28-2012 06:27 PM
My experience Step 1 and 2CK drwagner USMLE Step 1 Forum 1 10-21-2011 08:15 PM
My experience Step 1 and 2CK drwagner USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 0 10-21-2011 07:04 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)