my exam experience - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 147
Threads: 18
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default my exam experience

i have always looked forward to give back to this forum because of what
i also benefited.
i wrote my exam today after more than a year of preparation though erratic.

my exam was in London and the center staff were excellent.

i did three blocks before my first break and almost gave up on the exam.
it was they type of question you don't even know where it came from.

I went to toilet prayed developed some courage and started again.did two more blocks and it was simple real exams.Questions i didnot answer were either time constraint or i had not read it well but all within reach.

the last two blocks were same.I took another break before the last two blocks.

ADVICE


i am the type of student that reads a lot.I may not have same luck with remembering things so i read a lot.

this was my main problem in my preparation cos it was time wasting and i dont believe too many books helps.

Secondly dont dwell too much on advice from forums.Get the best books stick to it and your method.dont read a new book every time some one says questions came from there."But take my advice and you will thank me some day"

The exam is more of a test of stamina,speed,and rapidity of reasoning.
i read Goljan RRP like 3time,listened to the audio like four times but i can confidently say it did not help.

i read pathoma in 2 weeks and pathology suddenly became at my full grasp,i just listened to the video and made my notes and everything i needed was in a small book,i could read in a few hours. I MUST EMPHAZIZE ITS WAS THE PART PART OF MY PREPARATION.

Lastly i did UW twice,i also left the wrong questions and used them during my last minute revision.

what i think is we get so obsessed about scores so much so that we want to score high on every preparation we make just to boost or fell confident,but its not good.my first review of UW i was so discouraged i was getting only 60%,i kept reading and pushing but my scores remained same.
my second read i started doing it on tutor mode and it really helped.

the questions are not in any way a semblance to what i had on the exam.But its still the best in terms the similarity with the usmle software in every way so it makes you comfortable on exam day.

please use UW to learn concepts,tutor mode is best because it allows you time time read the question and resonses.and enough time to transcript new knowledge into you book or notes.You will remember so much more if you keep using your notes or primary book with UW because it makes you brain keep that image,it poops up quickly especially under exam.
doing a block and then revising it for me is a very poor way to use UW.

doing blocks and revising is testing your stamina and speed and it should only come in the last phase of you preparation.

BOOKS I RECOMMEND.


PATHOLOGY:PATHOMA=never read RRP,IF YOU HAVE TO READ ONLY THE SYSYEMIC CHAPTERS WITH PATHOMA.

BIOCHEM:KAPLAN+LANGE BIOCHEMISTRY[Any weird question you will get is in lash flash card]

PHSIOLOGY:BRS PHYSIO

ANATOMMY:HY NEURO+KAPLAN

PHARMACOLOGY:KAPLAN ONLY

BEHAVOIRAL SCIENCE:KAPLAN.

MCB:i read kaplan+microcards:i bought microcrads when i felt kaplan was too cumbersome with unnecessary stuff,
but micro questions were so basic you will not need to read too many books.

I will truly advice any one who warns to score high to read biostatistics well.
Lastly my exam was all about graphs,almost every question was a graph.
make sure you understand every gragh you encounter cos it will be on your exam.i had 80-100 in my exam,its not an exaggeration.


Lastly despite my strongest subject being pathology i didnot get 25% of questions in the exam.I was surprisingly evenly distributed with so many biostatistics and behavoiral questions.

That is the main problem of question banks because they make you feel its all pathoogy.
Please cover physiology,biostatistics,behavoiral science,anatomy particully joints well,added with a good understanding of pathoma you will score great.

Last edited by dr tee; 06-02-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Aashna (06-04-2015), Alvira (06-02-2015), ezguy (06-01-2015), gokulramani (06-03-2015), Hopefuldoc (06-14-2015), Hopetopass2 (06-08-2015), Idrees Khan (06-05-2015), Lillybethcervant (06-03-2015), nassimbahari (06-01-2015), sisk87 (06-02-2015)



  #2  
Old 06-01-2015
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 252
Threads: 32
Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

Congrats and thanks for sharing this tips, a breath of fresh air from all the other posts which talk about only doing pathology as high yield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-01-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 22
Threads: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Reputation: 34
Default

Well said. What about micro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
blueboy3056 (06-04-2015)
 
  #4  
Old 06-02-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 147
Threads: 18
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

I have reviewed the post cos i was tired when i posted it,made some mistakes.

MCB is easy on the exam,you just need to know the bugs all basic info.

i think FA is really enough,with kaplan but kaplan has so much unnecessary information

i read microcards+kaplan.
i focused on reading the bugs in kaplan not the entire book during my intense reading last minute phase.

i must add as you notice in my post i didnot mention FA.
I found it difficult to use because it was not compatible with my way of study
because i need a good understanding to assimilate what i read.

but the MCB,BEHAIVOIRAL SCIENCE and systemic chapters formed part of my study and MCB chapter was the best,you just need to study any bug you dont understand in kaplan and it will be sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-02-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 8
Threads: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Congrats on taking the exam! do you have any advice to offer on the use of anki flashcards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-02-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 147
Threads: 18
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

thanks you asked,i didnot want to let out all my secrets.LOL

but joking.


that was my secret in the exam,its the highest kept secret.The best thing ever.I used it the last 6weeks and i cannot emphasize enough.

i had a lot of questions and accompanied by images from Pathoma,that really made pathoma stick.

i also used it with usmle world,it was just brilliant.

but make your questions,its for you to memorise your concepts to almost 100% retention and memory.

it will not help if you try to use some one else s notes,at least it didnot for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-02-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: CK Only
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default Thanks

Very nice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-02-2015
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 29
Threads: 3
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Um since you have taken the exam recently how much of social sciences was tested in your exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-02-2015
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 305
Threads: 40
Thanked 103 Times in 64 Posts
Reputation: 113
Smile anatomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr tee View Post
i have always looked forward to give back to this forum because of what
i also benefited.
i wrote my exam today after more than a year of preparation though erratic.

my exam was in London and the center staff were excellent.

i did three blocks before my first break and almost gave up on the exam.
it was they type of question you don't even know where it came from.

I went to toilet prayed developed some courage and started again.did two more blocks and it was simple real exams.Questions i didnot answer were either time constraint or i had not read it well but all within reach.

the last two blocks were same.I took another break before the last two blocks.

ADVICE


i am the type of student that reads a lot.I may not have same luck with remembering things so i read a lot.

this was my main problem in my preparation cos it was time wasting and i dont believe too many books helps.

Secondly dont dwell too much on advice from forums.Get the best books stick to it and your method.dont read a new book every time some one says questions came from there."But take my advice and you will thank me some day"

The exam is more of a test of stamina,speed,and rapidity of reasoning.
i read Goljan RRP like 3time,listened to the audio like four times but i can confidently say it did not help.

i read pathoma in 2 weeks and pathology suddenly became at my full grasp,i just listened to the video and made my notes and everything i needed was in a small book,i could read in a few hours. I MUST EMPHAZIZE ITS WAS THE PART PART OF MY PREPARATION.

Lastly i did UW twice,i also left the wrong questions and used them during my last minute revision.

what i think is we get so obsessed about scores so much so that we want to score high on every preparation we make just to boost or fell confident,but its not good.my first review of UW i was so discouraged i was getting only 60%,i kept reading and pushing but my scores remained same.
my second read i started doing it on tutor mode and it really helped.

the questions are not in any way a semblance to what i had on the exam.But its still the best in terms the similarity with the usmle software in every way so it makes you comfortable on exam day.

please use UW to learn concepts,tutor mode is best because it allows you time time read the question and resonses.and enough time to transcript new knowledge into you book or notes.You will remember so much more if you keep using your notes or primary book with UW because it makes you brain keep that image,it poops up quickly especially under exam.
doing a block and then revising it for me is a very poor way to use UW.

doing blocks and revising is testing your stamina and speed and it should only come in the last phase of you preparation.

BOOKS I RECOMMEND.


PATHOLOGY:PATHOMA=never read RRP,IF YOU HAVE TO READ ONLY THE SYSYEMIC CHAPTERS WITH PATHOMA.

BIOCHEM:KAPLAN+LANGE BIOCHEMISTRY[Any weird question you will get is in lash flash card]

PHSIOLOGY:BRS PHYSIO

ANATOMMY:HY NEURO+KAPLAN

PHARMACOLOGY:KAPLAN ONLY

BEHAVOIRAL SCIENCE:KAPLAN.

MCB:i read kaplan+microcards:i bought microcrads when i felt kaplan was too cumbersome with unnecessary stuff,
but micro questions were so basic you will not need to read too many books.

I will truly advice any one who warns to score high to read biostatistics well.
Lastly my exam was all about graphs,almost every question was a graph.
make sure you understand every gragh you encounter cos it will be on your exam.i had 80-100 in my exam,its not an exaggeration.


Lastly despite my strongest subject being pathology i didnot get 25% of questions in the exam.I was surprisingly evenly distributed with so many biostatistics and behavoiral questions.

That is the main problem of question banks because they make you feel its all pathoogy.
Please cover physiology,biostatistics,behavoiral science,anatomy particully joints well,added with a good understanding of pathoma you will score great.


Hey tank u so much for us post....I'm one of those whom u r seriously trying to warn not to look for advice's and will follow that for sure.
I did an at from Kaplan but not neuroanat which I did from najeeb and ht neuro
My ques s s this enough? I mean nothing is given about origin and insertions and also about joints.....so r we supposed to learn that in detail?
And can u plz highlight your name scores?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-02-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 147
Threads: 18
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

I donot understand your question but 80% of my anatomy was injury problems.
neuroanat was also basic.i had like 4 neuro i can remember and all were basic nothing extravagant.

nobody will ask you joint insertions in the usmle,every question is asked in a clinical manner.

they tried so hard to make it all clinical,like if they want to ask about p53.The will describe a scientist trying to perform an experiment on cells and draw graphs of the results then ask what regulator was inactivated activated etc.

just stick to any book you are already comfortable with.
HY neuro was good for me and more than enough.

again i will not tell you my scores because its not important.
i took UWSA1,and i was really discouraged by my score but i carefully copied the report and worked on my weak areas and it really helped.

only thing is i had few biostatistics and behavioral in that test including anatomy but had lots of those in my exam.

all this test are to help you learn and recognize your weak areas,dont compete against anybody while you prepare,it will hurt you.Every tool you use is to learn not compete with anyone.

Last edited by dr tee; 06-02-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
smita (06-02-2015)
  #11  
Old 06-02-2015
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 252
Threads: 32
Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

What secret using anki cards ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr tee View Post
thanks you asked,i didnot want to let out all my secrets.LOL

but joking.


that was my secret in the exam,its the highest kept secret.The best thing ever.I used it the last 6weeks and i cannot emphasize enough.

i had a lot of questions and accompanied by images from Pathoma,that really made pathoma stick.

i also used it with usmle world,it was just brilliant.

but make your questions,its for you to memorise your concepts to almost 100% retention and memory.

it will not help if you try to use some one else s notes,at least it didnot for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 06-02-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 147
Threads: 18
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

its not a secret.i just meant it really helped cos i could review my work all the time.
i had a lot of pictures with questions from pathoma and it was really great.

i am a pictorial learner however so it worked for me.

if i had used it when i was reading RRP it will have helped a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 06-02-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Smile

Thanks for your help and congrats on taking your step 1!

You mentioned having written notes in your Pathoma book after watching the videos and then went back to review them. Did you find that better than taking notes on the side or in a separate notebook for example?

Did you do the same thing for subjects you watched Kaplan Lecture videos for ? Did you write your notes in the associated Kaplan Lecture books or in a separate notebook?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 06-03-2015
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 147
Threads: 18
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 59
Default

i never bought the pathoma book at all.
i just decided to do the videos when i was going through my second round of UW,and my scores were not changing.
I just watched the videos and made my notes,i copied every note on the video and added mine on the sidelines.

I guessed since i made the notes it was easy.

But i added hard explanations in my notes from UW.

The idea is to put important information in places you will continues encounter as such it really sticks.

The previuos method was to annotate all your UW in your FA.it just help you have it in one place cos as you keep encountering the information your write down it sticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 06-04-2015
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 252
Threads: 32
Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Reputation: 50
Default

your secret was using pathoma you mean ? or using Anki ?
You wrote the notes on a book, that might have taken lot of pages. So you created your own pathoma book ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr tee View Post
i never bought the pathoma book at all.
i just decided to do the videos when i was going through my second round of UW,and my scores were not changing.
I just watched the videos and made my notes,i copied every note on the video and added mine on the sidelines.

I guessed since i made the notes it was easy.

But i added hard explanations in my notes from UW.

The idea is to put important information in places you will continues encounter as such it really sticks.

The previuos method was to annotate all your UW in your FA.it just help you have it in one place cos as you keep encountering the information your write down it sticks.

Last edited by ezguy; 06-04-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message






Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My exam Experience eren USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 11 06-24-2014 09:52 AM
Exam experience Renaissance USMLE Step 1 Forum 15 08-18-2013 06:01 PM
Just came back from Exam center. Doc4step1 Exam experience. Read on! Doc4Step1 USMLE Step 1 Forum 27 03-22-2013 07:14 AM
My exam experience! susanbal USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 07-13-2011 06:36 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)