1. What is P50?
- P50 is the partial pressure at which arterial O2 saturation is at 50%
2. What are the axis for the oxygen-haemoglobin dissociation curve?
- The y-axis is the saturation
- The x-axis is the partial pressure of O2
3. What does an increased P50 mean?
- It means that a greater partial pressure of O2 is required to maintain a saturation of 50%
- Take the normal O2-Hb dissociation curve and draw a horizontal line at 50% saturation. If the partial pressure corresponding to this saturation is increased does that mean a left or right shift of the curve?