Osteoclast Activating Factor - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 191
Threads: 96
Thanked 271 Times in 97 Posts
Reputation: 281
Question Osteoclast Activating Factor

Which one of the listed substances is secreted by malignant plasma cells in individuals with multiple myeloma and is the osteoclast-activating factor (OAF) that produces the characteristic lytic bone lesions?


A. Interleukin 1
B. Interleukin 6
C. Tumor necrosis factor β
D. Transforming growth factor β
E. Platelet-derived growth factor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Abdulaziz (01-13-2012), husseinalaa (01-13-2012), inno (01-14-2012), medkary (01-13-2012)



  #2  
Old 01-12-2012
Hope2Pass's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,684
Threads: 213
Thanked 1,600 Times in 660 Posts
Reputation: 1610
Default

I know the answer is IL-1 .. but not sure why that is ? Could you explain the answer ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-12-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

yes IL 1 is the answer ... IL 1 is the Osteoclast activating factor ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 01-12-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 791
Threads: 76
Thanked 673 Times in 317 Posts
Reputation: 691
Default

IL-6 is the answer!!!!!!!!1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-12-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 791
Threads: 76
Thanked 673 Times in 317 Posts
Reputation: 691
Default Here is the explanation

The proliferation and survival of myeloma cells are dependent on several cytokines, most notably IL-6. IL-6 is produced by neoplastic plasma cells and normal stromal cells in the marrow.

A variety of cytokines produced by tumor cells, particularly MIP1 alpha and the receptor activator of NF-kappaB ligand (RANKL) serve as OAF.

Serum levels of IL-6 are increased in patients with active disease and associated with a poor prognosis!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Amenah (01-13-2012)
  #6  
Old 01-12-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Just Checked in U world it IL 1 and also according to Dr Goljan .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
aknz (01-13-2012)
  #7  
Old 01-12-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 851
Threads: 88
Thanked 710 Times in 380 Posts
Reputation: 720
Default

Ans B IL-6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-13-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 281
Threads: 74
Thanked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Reputation: 142
Default

Il 1 is the answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-13-2012
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 370 Times in 204 Posts
Reputation: 380
Default osteoclast-activating factor

IL-1 is the osteoclast-activating factor, is in Goljan and in Cecil... answer is A
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-13-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 623
Threads: 111
Thanked 424 Times in 264 Posts
Reputation: 434
Default

Interleukin 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 01-13-2012
Amenah's Avatar
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 160
Threads: 15
Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
Reputation: 88
Default

It's Interluekin 6 I guess it's from usmlerx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 01-14-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 90
Threads: 2
Thanked 68 Times in 30 Posts
Reputation: 78
Default

I found my 3 year old PASS Program notes:



Estrogen/Testosterone inhibit IL1(aka Osteoclast Activating Factor)

*Menopause => osteoporosis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 01-14-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 1,406
Threads: 118
Thanked 647 Times in 409 Posts
Reputation: 657
Default

so is it IL-1 or IL-6? lol.
__________________
"inflammable means flammable!? What a country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 01-14-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 58
Threads: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 23
Default

estrogen inhibits IL1(osteoclast activating factor ) so i guess IL -1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 01-14-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 646
Threads: 52
Thanked 762 Times in 256 Posts
Reputation: 773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomali View Post
The proliferation and survival of myeloma cells are dependent on several cytokines, most notably IL-6. IL-6 is produced by neoplastic plasma cells and normal stromal cells in the marrow.

A variety of cytokines produced by tumor cells, particularly MIP1 alpha and the receptor activator of NF-kappaB ligand (RANKL) serve as OAF.

Serum levels of IL-6 are increased in patients with active disease and associated with a poor prognosis!!!!!!!!


IL-6 HAS TWO FUNCTIONS :

1. IL -6 STIMULATES OAF.... it by itself is not OAF...
2. it also promotes the formation of MOTT/FLAME CELLS (from RUssel bodies)

and yes in MULTIPLY MYELOMA... IL6 levels are PROGNOSTIC

HOWEVER... IL-1 beta is homologous to OAF...
heres the link
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...515.x/abstract

-dr barone.. live lectures kaplan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
doctorFH (01-14-2012), Dr. Mexito (01-14-2012), Hitman (01-14-2012), step_enhancer (01-14-2012)



  #16  
Old 01-14-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 791
Threads: 76
Thanked 673 Times in 317 Posts
Reputation: 691
Default Noted!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbs2010 View Post


IL-6 HAS TWO FUNCTIONS :

1. IL -6 STIMULATES OAF.... it by itself is not OAF...
2. it also promotes the formation of MOTT/FLAME CELLS (from RUssel bodies)

and yes in MULTIPLY MYELOMA... IL6 levels are PROGNOSTIC

HOWEVER... IL-1 beta is homologous to OAF...
heres the link
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...515.x/abstract

-dr barone.. live lectures kaplan.
Well i guess i went wrong somewhere...thanks for the clarification.

Bottom line-IL 1 beta is the OAF and IL 6 stimulates the myeloma cells to secrete more OAF.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
step_enhancer (01-14-2012)
  #17  
Old 01-22-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 191
Threads: 96
Thanked 271 Times in 97 Posts
Reputation: 281
Default

B) CORRECT, Multiple myeloma is characterized by a triad of marrow plasmacytosis, serum or urine M (monoclonal) protein, and lytic bone lesions. Myeloma is a monoclonal malignancy of the B lymphocyte system, with bone pain the most common symptom. Osteolytic, punched-out bone lesions are characteristic, especially in the skull. Since the process is lytic, alkaline phosphatase is usually not elevated. These osteolytic lesions result from the production of osteoclast activating factor (OAF) by the myeloma cells. This results in increased serum calcium levels (hypercalcemia). OAF is in fact IL-6, and increased amounts of IL-6 are associated with a worse prognosis because the survival of the myeloma cells is dependent upon IL-6. Myeloma is not associated with lymphadenopathy, but recurrent infections are frequent because of the severe suppression of normal immunoglobulins. In fact, infection is the most common cause of death in these patients and is usually due to encapsulated bacteria. There is no increase in viral infections in these patients because their cell-mediated immunity is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 01-22-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopusmount View Post
B) CORRECT, Multiple myeloma is characterized by a triad of marrow plasmacytosis, serum or urine M (monoclonal) protein, and lytic bone lesions. Myeloma is a monoclonal malignancy of the B lymphocyte system, with bone pain the most common symptom. Osteolytic, punched-out bone lesions are characteristic, especially in the skull. Since the process is lytic, alkaline phosphatase is usually not elevated. These osteolytic lesions result from the production of osteoclast activating factor (OAF) by the myeloma cells. This results in increased serum calcium levels (hypercalcemia). OAF is in fact IL-6, and increased amounts of IL-6 are associated with a worse prognosis because the survival of the myeloma cells is dependent upon IL-6. Myeloma is not associated with lymphadenopathy, but recurrent infections are frequent because of the severe suppression of normal immunoglobulins. In fact, infection is the most common cause of death in these patients and is usually due to encapsulated bacteria. There is no increase in viral infections in these patients because their cell-mediated immunity is normal.

hey buddy this definitely appears to be the wrong ans , it appears that the qs is from usmle rx which has many wrong ans .... but this could be misleading to others ..... as the ans is clearly IL 1 which is all over the net ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 01-22-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 191
Threads: 96
Thanked 271 Times in 97 Posts
Reputation: 281
Default

again taken from the web and this is what i found

Production of cytokines especially IL-6 by the plasma cells causes much of their localised damage, such as osteoporosis, and creates a microenvironment in which the malignant cells thrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 01-22-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 191
Threads: 96
Thanked 271 Times in 97 Posts
Reputation: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomali View Post
Well i guess i went wrong somewhere...thanks for the clarification.

Bottom line-IL 1 beta is the OAF and IL 6 stimulates the myeloma cells to secrete more OAF.........

a reasonable explanation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Hitman (01-22-2012)
  #21  
Old 01-22-2012
Hitman's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 928
Threads: 17
Thanked 539 Times in 375 Posts
Reputation: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopusmount View Post
a reasonable explanation
yes , this is what i agree too , then the ans must be A......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 01-17-2015
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Threads: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Sorry, misread the question.

Last edited by dardardinks; 01-17-2015 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Misread the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
Immunology-, Pathology-

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mullerian Inhibiting Factor (MIH) vikash USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 01-10-2017 10:06 AM
Management of Factor XI deficiency meduploader USMLE Step 3 Forum 2 06-07-2011 02:34 PM
Which virulent factor here? Yallah USMLE Step 1 Forum 8 04-16-2010 03:45 PM
Virulence Factor? doctorF USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 04-14-2010 04:25 AM
Factor XIII Deficiency! kutmar USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 2 03-06-2010 09:21 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)