Reset USMLE World - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-29-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 288
Threads: 28
Thanked 91 Times in 73 Posts
Reputation: 101
USMLEWorld Reset USMLE World

Hi guys,
i am doing my 2nd pass of UW now and i am thinking to reset the UW and start everything new.Do u think its a good idea?if i do it i will loose incorrect Q's data and my performance graphs and highlighting i have done when i was doing UW for first time.
my exam is in 30 days
__________________
When you know what you want,and you want it badly enough,you'll find a way to get it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 01-29-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 891 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordexter View Post
Hi guys,
i am doing my 2nd pass of UW now and i am thinking to reset the UW and start everything new.Do u think its a good idea?if i do it i will loose incorrect Q's data and my performance graphs and highlighting i have done when i was doing UW for first time.
my exam is in 30 days
It depends really...

If you reset, are you comfortable in doing a complete second pass that takes around 15 days (the time usually needed to do a 2nd pass according to threads here in this forum)?

Did you score around 60s or below (meaning you had many mistakes)?

Did you do second reads after or during your first pass of uw?

If your answer is yes to all of the above (especially the first), I'd say resetting is a good idea.

You can take note (print/save) of your performance graphs now. So there's no problem with that. You probably revised uworld so you don't have to worry about your highlights. There's also an "educational objective" if you want to read through the answers swiftly.

At least, if you reset, you'll know your performance NOW which is after your second reads and strengthening your weak areas. You'll also be able to assess which concepts stayed with you after the first pass and which ones did not.

However, if you used uworld as a form of self-evaluation and needed minimal reinforcement, I have a different take. Here, you probably scored around 70s and preferably 80s. Then, I think it's ok to NOT reset it. In this case, it's more important that you retain which questions you got incorrect so that you can go through them and read correspondingly.

That's just my opinion...

Good luck with the remaining 1 month! You seem very prepared to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
astrocarter15 (01-11-2015), docusmle9 (01-29-2012), Dr. Mexito (01-31-2012), dragonheart (01-09-2015), Natalionus (01-15-2015), USMLE-Syndrome (01-29-2012)
  #3  
Old 01-29-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 288
Threads: 28
Thanked 91 Times in 73 Posts
Reputation: 101
Default

@d_wiqed
i have started doing UW 2nd pass and did some 20+ blocks and still 20+blocks remaining in random timed mode.
now that it is my 2nd time my scores have improved,atleast better than 1st pass. some i get around 70s and some as low as 50s.i am using it as a learning tool.with first time i was around 60- 65.I was just discussing with a friend,doing UW 2nd time is really tough(for me)
i am thinking i will NOT reset as i also want to review quickly the incorrect ones and doing it again from the scratch feels meaningless at this point.i want to retain as much as i can,but it looks like an ocean for me
thanks for the advice buddya valuable one
__________________
When you know what you want,and you want it badly enough,you'll find a way to get it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (01-29-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 01-29-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 851
Threads: 88
Thanked 710 Times in 380 Posts
Reputation: 720
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
It depends really...

If you reset, are you comfortable in doing a complete second pass that takes around 15 days (the time usually needed to do a 2nd pass according to threads here in this forum)?

Did you score around 60s or below (meaning you had many mistakes)?

Did you do second reads after or during your first pass of uw?

If your answer is yes to all of the above (especially the first), I'd say resetting is a good idea.

You can take note (print/save) of your performance graphs now. So there's no problem with that. You probably revised uworld so you don't have to worry about your highlights. There's also an "educational objective" if you want to read through the answers swiftly.

At least, if you reset, you'll know your performance NOW which is after your second reads and strengthening your weak areas. You'll also be able to assess which concepts stayed with you after the first pass and which ones did not.

However, if you used uworld as a form of self-evaluation and needed minimal reinforcement, I have a different take. Here, you probably scored around 70s and preferably 80s. Then, I think it's ok to NOT reset it. In this case, it's more important that you retain which questions you got incorrect so that you can go through them and read correspondingly.

That's just my opinion...

Good luck with the remaining 1 month! You seem very prepared to me.
Very well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (01-29-2012)
  #5  
Old 01-31-2012
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 370 Times in 204 Posts
Reputation: 380
Default Perfect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
It depends really...

If you reset, are you comfortable in doing a complete second pass that takes around 15 days (the time usually needed to do a 2nd pass according to threads here in this forum)?

Did you score around 60s or below (meaning you had many mistakes)?

Did you do second reads after or during your first pass of uw?

If your answer is yes to all of the above (especially the first), I'd say resetting is a good idea.

You can take note (print/save) of your performance graphs now. So there's no problem with that. You probably revised uworld so you don't have to worry about your highlights. There's also an "educational objective" if you want to read through the answers swiftly.

At least, if you reset, you'll know your performance NOW which is after your second reads and strengthening your weak areas. You'll also be able to assess which concepts stayed with you after the first pass and which ones did not.

However, if you used uworld as a form of self-evaluation and needed minimal reinforcement, I have a different take. Here, you probably scored around 70s and preferably 80s. Then, I think it's ok to NOT reset it. In this case, it's more important that you retain which questions you got incorrect so that you can go through them and read correspondingly.

That's just my opinion...

Good luck with the remaining 1 month! You seem very prepared to me.
"Perfect" Is the first word that came to my mind after reading this. You couldn't say it better, thank you very much, this is what I was looking for a long time. I will reset it, when it gets to the time, I will do it... I've already made up my mind, I will go for it. However, I have an issue here. Does 2 months for reviewing questions is too much time??? Is it better just to use one month to redo UW (second time) and 1 month to do FA (3rd. time) + non-UW questions???

What do you think?
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (01-31-2012)
  #6  
Old 01-31-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 891 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mexito View Post
"Perfect" Is the first word that came to my mind after reading this. You couldn't say it better, thank you very much, this is what I was looking for a long time. I will reset it, when it gets to the time, I will do it... I've already made up my mind, I will go for it. However, I have an issue here. Does 2 months for reviewing questions is too much time??? Is it better just to use one month to redo UW (second time) and 1 month to do FA (3rd. time) + non-UW questions???

What do you think?
Thanks and you're welcome!

Yes, I think 2 months for a 2nd pass of usmleworld is too much. I believe that the purpose of a 2nd pass is for recalling important concepts, training your mind how to "solve" usmle questions, and doing it in random, timed, multiple blocks (if you haven't done it that way before) like in the real exam. Hence, it is important that one has mastered the subjects and reinforced weak topics before going through a second pass because its purpose now is more for test preparation. So, there won't be any need going very slow about it.

I'd go for your plan of 1 month uworld (2nd pass) and 1 month FA + non-uworld questions.

The last month is the most important. Everything that one reads during this time will be what one will remember most in the exam. Hence, the last 2 weeks would ideally consist of one last quick run through of all important notes in all subjects. This is where annotating FA pays off.

Last edited by d_wiqed; 01-31-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Grammar checks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr. Mexito (01-31-2012)
  #7  
Old 01-31-2012
patho2012's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 213
Threads: 13
Thanked 119 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 129
Default my opinion

I will not reset UW if I have done it subject wise the first time entirely.
The main reason is I used it as a learning tool and not as a testing tool. Questions in UW are clearly put, thoroughly explained and easy to remember. Once you have gone through it once, you will sure remember >70% of them. The second time doing UW will not give a good estimate of how you will perform on the test date, however it may show how comfortable you are with the concepts. Another thing is how well you recall the concepts; in case you don't mix everything up like a bowl of salad, you know how many essential concepts for each subjects you must know at the least...(concepts may remain the same while questions are worded differently ). For me, the UW score is not as important as the explanations it gives...If you do more than 1 Qbank, you know where you stand because despite having different features Qbs give you equivalent scores at the certain time of the prep. To get the most precise evaluation, do all 7 NMBE forms, they prove to serve this function best. So far, I haven't found any benefit/point in using it as a learning tool and then an evaluation tool...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-31-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 891 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patho2012 View Post
I will not reset UW if I have done it subject wise the first time entirely.
The main reason is I used it as a learning tool and not as a testing tool. Questions in UW are clearly put, thoroughly explained and easy to remember. Once you have gone through it once, you will sure remember >70% of them. The second time doing UW will not give a good estimate of how you will perform on the test date, however it may show how comfortable you are with the concepts. Another thing is how well you recall the concepts; in case you don't mix everything up like a bowl of salad, you know how many essential concepts for each subjects you must know at the least...(concepts may remain the same while questions are worded differently ). For me, the UW score is not as important as the explanations it gives...If you do more than 1 Qbank, you know where you stand because despite having different features Qbs give you equivalent scores at the certain time of the prep. To get the most precise evaluation, do all 7 NMBE forms, they prove to serve this function best. So far, I haven't found any benefit/point in using it as a learning tool and then an evaluation tool...
Thanks!

I agree with you in that one doesn't use uworld as a learning tool and then as an evaluation tool. That would obviously grossly overestimate one's performance. Also, like you said, there are nbmes whose purpose is for self-assessment.

I also agree with you in that doing 2 qbanks is better because they present the same concept with a different approach or form of questioning.

I think where we differ is as follows:

Like you said, there is always the possibility of remembering > 70% of the answers in usmleworld. But with 2000+ questions, the remaining 30% is still roughly 600+ high-yield concepts that one may not have fully grasped. This is especially true if one did poorly in the first pass.

Let me illustrate:

If one performed weakly on a subject during the first pass, like 30-40% in Biochem or in Immuno, this means that the topics were not well-understood. One would need to go back to KLN again to memorize and understand the concepts. Because even with good usmleworld explanations, one will still most likely forget that "enzyme or cytokine answer in this usmleworld question", the second time around. Especially, since it takes around 2 months to finish a first pass. (There was a poll/discussion about this in an old thread here somewhere... )

It is in this sense, that a second pass will be a rough guide to one's status/weak areas. But it is not predictive of the actual usmle score. (Sorry, I guess I was misunderstood in my first entry. )

Anyway, some people just like to do a full second pass given the weight previous step-takers attribute to the usmleworld. But a full second pass is not an absolute necessity.

Of course, resetting the usmleworld is also not compulsory. I don't even feel passionate about it despite the long entry. (This is acutally just boredom speaking. ) I just want to clarify some points. Anyway, we all have our preferences.

I like our interchange because we get to see each other's side and, thus, we can make better and informed choices. I appreciate your opinion on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Tags
USMLEWorld

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between Offline Usmle World and Online Usmle World noone_123i USMLE Step 1 Forum 15 06-01-2016 09:00 AM
How to 'Reset' Kaplan Qbank MedPharm USMLE Step 1 Forum 11 07-11-2012 07:19 AM
Redoing UW; Reset or do the incorrect only! evavar USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 08-11-2011 11:37 AM
Comparison of CCS USMLE WORLD VS. USMLE Consult barrabairn USMLE Step 3 Forum 4 01-19-2011 09:03 PM
What USMLE World score means over 95 in USMLE? bhargav-bjmc USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 07-30-2010 09:15 AM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)