I can't pass over 50% in UW or Kaplan Qbook - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2012
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 369 Times in 204 Posts
Reputation: 379
Unhappy I can't pass over 50% in UW or Kaplan Qbook

After almost 4 month of studying, I came to the point of realizing that I did something wrong (most of)... Now that I finished my first reading, I'm doing UW questions (mixed or by specific topic) and pufff!!! the wall is telling me that I'm not ready... My exam is on april/27 and I do not know what to do. Do I re schedule my date? read books again? if doing so... Would I have the time to finish in time? Should I just review question and re-read FA like a million times? I do not what to do... I'm using kaplan, lippincott, RRP, HY (for BS, anatomy, NA, genetics and embrioloy), and using FA to review. I want to ace this exam but in my actual situation... I don't even think that I can pass

Any help? I really need some insight here...
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 02-12-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Arrow

Already answered you via PM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr. Mexito (02-12-2012)
  #3  
Old 02-12-2012
avash.nrs's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 440
Threads: 52
Thanked 258 Times in 153 Posts
Reputation: 268
Default

well my exam is also on 2nd april and i am still on 56% in uworld..after 8 blocks..first time random timed mode..just relax..uworld is harsh..if possible u can see oti nogonnyo's study plan..he got 57% in uworld and then finally get only 65%..but has got 245 in steps..just remember uworld is tough and for me its a learning tool.never forget to jot down all those explanations that is not in FA(like MOA of insulin,Mi features,strawberry and cherry haemangioma etc)..and go through FA again with these included for another time.u will surely do well..hope it helps..gud luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr. Mexito (02-12-2012)
 
  #4  
Old 02-12-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 889 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 906
Default

Relax, you will pass. We all get panic attacks when we start uworld. As MedPharm describes it, we all share this face -->

That's why it's... Welcome to the club!

LoL. On a serious note, doing 50-60s does not mean you will fail, it only means you are doing average (which, of course, is also not so fantastic). That's the score most people get when they do usmleworld as a first qbank. Don't be disheartened. It is not the end! It only means you still have a long way to go. It's a challenging path but you will get there (240+). I am sure of it!

Not everyone will agree with me, but if you're scoring like this, I recommend you do usmleworld per subject and per topic. In this way, you are now using it as a learning tool. Make notes for the explanations that you don't know because everything that you will encounter in usmeworld is high-yield stuff. Then, second read kaplan/FA.

About postponing the exam... No one can really say with any certainty what you should do, especially since you still have 2 months to go. I can only give you a picture on how long it might take if you intend to take the route I have mentioned above. In my opinion, using usmleworld as a learning tool (taking notes) might take you 2 months. Then, you still have to do revisions. That is, read and summarize the subjects. That will take at least a month or so.

Of course, you might find another method that is faster and more effective for you.

OR maybe XpaezX private messaged you a secret formula that the rest of us won't know now... --> There's just something about pms that make things more intriguing...

Also, look at this way, if you're having anxiety attacks as early as now, Infinity-MD's exam is also on the last week of April (April 24) AND he hasn't started usmleworld yet... I'd LOVE to see his reaction next month! LoL
(@Infinity-Md: I'm just joking, country-mate! )

Good luck, Dr. Mexito! I hope you find a solution to your dilemma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr. Mexito (02-12-2012)
  #5  
Old 02-12-2012
patho2012's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 213
Threads: 13
Thanked 119 Times in 81 Posts
Reputation: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpaezX View Post
Already answered you via PM
that's an unfair game, can you post it straight out here plz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (02-12-2012), Dr.NickRiviera (02-12-2012)
  #6  
Old 02-12-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,327 Times in 711 Posts
Reputation: 1342
Smile

Haha guys i answered him in spanish, but basically i said what d_wiged and infinity have said; we have the bad tendency of looking at uworld scores as "predictors" of what we know and dont know, which for me is not the case, the USMLE is not only about knowing but also about stamina and endurance.
I also told him that the only way to "predict" where one is is by doing an NBME and the QBanks should be used to learn and to build up endurance, not as predictors or performance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (02-12-2012), Dr. Mexito (02-12-2012)
  #7  
Old 02-12-2012
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 369 Times in 204 Posts
Reputation: 379
Help Botton line...

Do not re-read all the books, just focus on FA and UW, and, of course, do a NBME... right?

Thank you guys!!!
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-12-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
Relax, you will pass. We all get panic attacks when we start uworld. As MedPharm describes it, we all share this face -->

That's why it's... Welcome to the club!

LoL. On a serious note, doing 50-60s does not mean you will fail, it only means you are doing average (which, of course, is also not so fantastic). That's the score most people get when they do usmleworld as a first qbank. Don't be disheartened. It is not the end! It only means you still have a long way to go. It's a challenging path but you will get there (240+). I am sure of it!

Not everyone will agree with me, but if you're scoring like this, I recommend you do usmleworld per subject and per topic. In this way, you are now using it as a learning tool. Make notes for the explanations that you don't know because everything that you will encounter in usmeworld is high-yield stuff. Then, second read kaplan/FA.

About postponing the exam... No one can really say with any certainty what you should do, especially since you still have 2 months to go. I can only give you a picture on how long it might take if you intend to take the route I have mentioned above. In my opinion, using usmleworld as a learning tool (taking notes) might take you 2 months. Then, you still have to do revisions. That is, read and summarize the subjects. That will take at least a month or so.

Of course, you might find another method that is faster and more effective for you.

OR maybe XpaezX private messaged you a secret formula that the rest of us won't know now... --> There's just something about pms that make things more intriguing...

Also, look at this way, if you're having anxiety attacks as early as now, Infinity-MD's exam is also on the last week of April (April 24) AND he hasn't started usmleworld yet... I'd LOVE to see his reaction next month! LoL
(@Infinity-Md: I'm just joking, country-mate! )

Good luck, Dr. Mexito! I hope you find a solution to your dilemma.

Well Said!!
I haven't decided on when exactly I want to take the exam.. But I picked APril-june.. However I didn't start uworld yet.. So I guess you will be seeing my reaction next month just like Infinity-Md! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-12-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 889 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mexito View Post
Do not re-read all the books, just focus on FA and UW, and, of course, do a NBME... right?

Thank you guys!!!
LOL! We did not mean "do not re-read" all the books...

@everyone else: did we???

Anyway, for me, your priority now should be UW. Then, as much as you can, go back to KLN for the topics that you encounter during or after you answer UW. It is still prudent to give KLN a second read or a quick run-through. But if you find yourself running out of time, after you finished UW and identified the subjects you are weak in, just select only this subjects to read as a whole in KLN.

Good luck!

@suka: Thanks for the heads up! Now, all I have to do is save my well-said post to Dr. Mexito to my hard drive... So that when you and Infinity-MD have anxiety attacks about uworld next month, I just have to copy-and-paste it on your future threads. LoL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-12-2012
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 590
Threads: 8
Thanked 239 Times in 192 Posts
Reputation: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
LOL! We did not mean "do not re-read" all the books...

@everyone else: did we???

Anyway, for me, your priority now should be UW. Then, as much as you can, go back to KLN for the topics that you encounter during or after you answer UW. It is still prudent to give KLN a second read or a quick run-through. But if you find yourself running out of time, after you finished UW and identified the subjects you are weak in, just select only this subjects to read as a whole in KLN.

Good luck!

@suka: Thanks for the heads up! Now, all I have to do is save my well-said post to Dr. Mexito to my hard drive... So that when you and Infinity-MD have anxiety attacks about uworld next month, I just have to copy-and-paste it on your future threads. LoL
Lol!
Thank you! :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (02-12-2012)
  #11  
Old 02-12-2012
Dr. Mexito's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 662
Threads: 72
Thanked 369 Times in 204 Posts
Reputation: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
LOL! We did not mean "do not re-read" all the books...

@everyone else: did we???

Anyway, for me, your priority now should be UW. Then, as much as you can, go back to KLN for the topics that you encounter during or after you answer UW. It is still prudent to give KLN a second read or a quick run-through. But if you find yourself running out of time, after you finished UW and identified the subjects you are weak in, just select only this subjects to read as a whole in KLN.

Good luck!
I swear that I thought that the advice that you gave me it was not to re-read the books (my mistake) I guess I can re-do all in 1 month... but that will be like pushing it a lot... "no time" is like "no water" for a fish...and I don't want to choke. So I think... I'll focus on UW and FA and review the stuff I really don't get...

Once again... thank you
__________________
"Disease is very old, and nothing about it has changed. It is we who change as we learn to recognize what was formerly imperceptible." JMC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (02-12-2012)



Reply

Tags
Step-1-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Kaplan Qbook a must have? heights USMLE Step 1 Forum 18 12-01-2012 12:51 AM
Kaplan CK Qbook versus Kaplan CK Qbank Ace3 USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 07-25-2011 08:21 AM
Offline Kaplan Qbank or Kaplan Qbook Dr.faraz USMLE Step 1 Forum 3 05-17-2011 06:01 PM
Kaplan Qbook for CK medicine USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 3 03-02-2011 06:06 AM
Kaplan Qbook versus Kaplan Qbank sibb USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 01-13-2011 12:49 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)