Kaplan Videos: No. of hours per day - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


View Poll Results: No. of hours per day of Kaplan Videos
2 - 4 hours/day 21
4 - 6 hours/day 13
6 - 8 hours/day 11
8 - 10 hours/day 5
10 -12 hours/day 2
12 - 14 hours/day 0
14 - 16 hours/day 2
Voters: 54. You have to register to vote in this poll.

This is a dynamic poll. Disregard the original thread starting date, members are still casting votes on this poll.
The poll still reflects the current popularity of the options.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-20-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default Kaplan Videos: No. of hours per day

I'm planning to watch Kaplan Videos on selected subjects. Unfortunately, I haven't watched them during my first read. I'm in mid-prep and I'm going to plan my revision days (with videos) after usmleworld. I want to be realistic about my sched. So I'm going to do a survey...

How long can you guys watch videos per day? Average no. of hours per day...

Not when you're in superman mode but when you're human like me.

Is 8 hours per day realistic?

Thanks! I'd appreciate it if you have comments, suggestions or tips!

The best advice I'd love to hear from you guys, honestly, is:
"@d_wiqed: DON'T watch videos at all."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #2  
Old 02-20-2012
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1 + CS
Posts: 303
Threads: 57
Thanked 105 Times in 67 Posts
Reputation: 115
Send a message via Skype™ to usmlemydream
Default

i have never heard them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (02-20-2012)
  #3  
Old 02-20-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmlemydream View Post
i have never heard them....
Thanks! That brightened me up! Maybe I shouldn't be watching Kaplan at all?? I should have put "0 hours per day" on the poll... LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-20-2012
avash.nrs's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 440
Threads: 52
Thanked 258 Times in 153 Posts
Reputation: 268
Default

Thats a nice poll...

Well i listened to it after my first read kaplan and to be honest it was absolutely fantastic.specially the ones by fischer,lionel raymond,steve daugherty,sam turco and wazir kudrath,james white and david seiden..didnt hear micro and sanchez's general patho part only..Learnt so many things and concepts and even took a note of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (02-20-2012), madeha shahid (03-05-2012), tootsie (03-04-2012)
  #5  
Old 02-20-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avash.nrs View Post
Thats a nice poll...

Well i listened to it after my first read kaplan and to be honest it was absolutely fantastic.specially the ones by fischer,lionel raymond,steve daugherty,sam turco and wazir kudrath,james white and david seiden..didnt hear micro and sanchez's general patho part only..Learnt so many things and concepts and even took a note of them
Thanks for your feedback. That's very encouraging!

Wow, you did 6-8 hours per day! That's amazing! I want to do that too!

But you have a broken leg! Do you think it is a factor that made you watch videos for long hours? Because if that's the case... Darn! A broken leg really sounds good right now. LOL!

Seriously. Any advice how you put up with videos for that long??

I mean like... Do I really need to tie my leg to the bed? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-20-2012
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 224
Threads: 64
Thanked 79 Times in 42 Posts
Reputation: 89
Default

6-8 hours is possible if you watch them at 1.8-2.0x the speed. That is what I have been doing. Some topics I go at 2.5x because I know them well. Watching them at normal speed would really suck because it would be like listening to zombies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (02-20-2012), docwedsengr27 (03-08-2012)
  #7  
Old 02-20-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfarin90 View Post
6-8 hours is possible if you watch them at 1.8-2.0x the speed. That is what I have been doing. Some topics I go at 2.5x because I know them well. Watching them at normal speed would really suck because it would be like listening to zombies.
I just tried doing that... You're right! Listening at 2.0x makes Kaplan videos a LOT less painful to watch!! I'm so happy...

Maybe I don't need to immobilize my leg after all!! Yay! There is hope for me! LoL!

My video player software can only play at 1.5x and 2.0x though. What software are you using that enables you to play it at 1.8x?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-20-2012
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 65
Threads: 15
Thanked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Reputation: 73
Default

How do you guys watch the videos so fast lol?

If I go past 1.18x speed I feel like I get left behind at certain points... or am I just falsely thinking that?

Maybe it's because I watch the videos before reading the notes so everythings new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (02-21-2012)
  #9  
Old 02-21-2012
avash.nrs's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 440
Threads: 52
Thanked 258 Times in 153 Posts
Reputation: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
Thanks for your feedback. That's very encouraging!

Wow, you did 6-8 hours per day! That's amazing! I want to do that too!

But you have a broken leg! Do you think it is a factor that made you watch videos for long hours? Because if that's the case... Darn! A broken leg really sounds good right now. LOL!

Seriously. Any advice how you put up with videos for that long??

I mean like... Do I really need to tie my leg to the bed? LOL!
...really great sense of humour....even i laughed out loud reding this..actually i did this vide before my leg broke(thats why my leg probably broke)..rite after my kaplan first read..and yup cud do a lot of offline uworld qs after that..but online uworld is differnt stuff...actually i liked the videos..well thats why i probably listened to them..and to tell the truth had no good base on those subjects as well when i embarked upon this mission..so had to listen to it to improve my basics..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (02-21-2012)
  #10  
Old 02-21-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMD View Post
How do you guys watch the videos so fast lol?

If I go past 1.18x speed I feel like I get left behind at certain points... or am I just falsely thinking that?

Maybe it's because I watch the videos before reading the notes so everythings new to me.
I think it depends on the lecturer... I tried Dr Seiden at 2.0x earlier, it seems ok.
But I had to really focus... and hold my breath! LOL!

For the fast-paced lecturers I guess 1.5x is just right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 03-04-2012
tootsie's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 433
Threads: 16
Thanked 284 Times in 199 Posts
Reputation: 294
Default

Ok. I just don't get the "do it simultaneously" thing. How can you possibly pay attention to the book or the video if you have to do them both? Flip pages around, etc.

Should we read 1st and do videos 2nd or vice-versa? Or should we...do it simultaneously (please explain).

I personally like to read. It's a torture for me to sit in class and to listen to videos, but I do want to know and hear how the lecturers put things together. I think I'm gonna read 1st and watch videos 2nd in high speed.

Still answer though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-04-2012)
  #12  
Old 03-04-2012
MzLizMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 56
Threads: 10
Thanked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
Thanks for your feedback. That's very encouraging!

Wow, you did 6-8 hours per day! That's amazing! I want to do that too!

But you have a broken leg! Do you think it is a factor that made you watch videos for long hours? Because if that's the case... Darn! A broken leg really sounds good right now. LOL!

Seriously. Any advice how you put up with videos for that long??

I mean like... Do I really need to tie my leg to the bed? LOL!
I havent been able to listen/see them for that long each day, but one thing I have figured out help me is have them in the background when I cook, clean or what ever

Then I listen through them, and the ones I find "wow this was useful", I know which one to see and makes notes on. The ones which I feel "yeah, heard that one b4 and know consept", well at least I got to listen to it, get a reminder and know I do not need spending the day watching it

For me that works So at least you got one more idea
__________________
Life is a journey and I am taking "the steps" on my way
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-04-2012)
  #13  
Old 03-04-2012
MzLizMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 56
Threads: 10
Thanked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
Ok. I just don't get the "do it simultaneously" thing. How can you possibly pay attention to the book or the video if you have to do them both? Flip pages around, etc.

Should we read 1st and do videos 2nd or vice-versa? Or should we...do it simultaneously (please explain).

I personally like to read. It's a torture for me to sit in class and to listen to videos, but I do want to know and hear how the lecturers put things together. I think I'm gonna read 1st and watch videos 2nd in high speed.

Still answer though.
I get that done with the vids I find useful. As mentioned in my last note, I often listen to the vids while doing house things which must be done and from there I know aprox what is in the vid and where to have the KME and FA. From the vids where I hear "wooow I need to understand this better" I take the time to watch the vid while noting on post-it/sticky note the things which is not seen in the KME and FA.

Hope this explained it a bit?
__________________
Life is a journey and I am taking "the steps" on my way
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-04-2012), tootsie (03-04-2012)
  #14  
Old 03-04-2012
fat1iscool's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 399
Threads: 45
Thanked 147 Times in 94 Posts
Reputation: 157
Post

i felt that watching the videos was more effective after giving the topics a general read. I would read the topics, then watch the topics a day or so later. I would keep my kaplan book open in front of me to write any important info. But because the videos are sort of long, eventually I would finish the subject while reading it, but not be done with the relevant video. However, in VLC player there are options to speed up videos, which I found out when i was almost done with the videos!!

If you haven't watched even a single video, I would advise you not to watch the parts of physiology with conrad fisher, as well as the Immunolgy videos (I didnt like BS either). I did not listen to Microbiology videos either coz there's so much in the book I felt that watching the videos would not be needed. This is what I feel. Plus, Wazir Kudrath, Lionel Raymon and Steven Harris rock!! (also the dude who teaches renal physiology, forgot his name)

I could not watch the vidoes more than 4 hours a day because i would feel like a zombie staring at a computer screen, plus it would get boring too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-04-2012), tootsie (03-04-2012)
  #15  
Old 03-04-2012
DocSikorski's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,353
Threads: 94
Thanked 873 Times in 506 Posts
Reputation: 886
Default

Hey?! Where is the answer for 24 hours??
__________________
Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. EP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #16  
Old 03-04-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSikorski View Post
Hey?! Where is the answer for 24 hours??
I knew it! I knew someone could watch kaplan videos for more than 16 hrs!

DocSikorski, I need your advice!

What does it take to watch kaplan videos that long?

Is it Cocaine? Meth? Are you in LSD right now?

LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 03-04-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie View Post
Ok. I just don't get the "do it simultaneously" thing. How can you possibly pay attention to the book or the video if you have to do them both? Flip pages around, etc...
I'm in the same boat as you. I also don't like listening to lectures, but still I am curious how the lecturers discuss and ties in concepts.

I did not watch the videos in my first read bec. I just want to get things over with. I'm now doing my second reading -- mostly with only videos. Funny thing is, it works for me bec., by my 2nd read, I am too lazy to just go through the books effectively again and do sheer memorization.

There is sometimes a disconnect between the book and the videos that's why it's hard to do them both simultaneously, although it was designed to be done this way. I prefer reading the book thoroughly (first read) at first and paying close attention to the videos (2nd read) next. The videos surprisingly can stand by themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (03-11-2012)
  #18  
Old 03-04-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLizMD View Post
I havent been able to listen/see them for that long each day, but one thing I have figured out help me is have them in the background when I cook, clean or what ever
Thank you for this advice!

You are right. I guess I can listen to Kaplan videos while doing something else. I'll do this to the subjects that does not need too much of my attention. I'll get to have a refresher course with those topics yet I won't waste too much time on those videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 03-04-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat1iscool View Post
Plus, Wazir Kudrath, Lionel Raymon and Steven Harris rock!! (also the dude who teaches renal physiology, forgot his name )
I haven't encountered Steven Harris yet. What subject/topics does he teach? I'll check him out. Maybe I need to put his videos in my high priority list. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 03-04-2012
DocSikorski's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,353
Threads: 94
Thanked 873 Times in 506 Posts
Reputation: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
I knew it! I knew someone could watch kaplan videos for more than 16 hrs!

DocSikorski, I need your advice!

What does it take to watch kaplan videos that long?

Is it Cocaine? Meth? Are you in LSD right now?

LOL!
Oh man, a lil of everything I guess =)

I personaly could not make more than 4hrs per day...
Personaly, I find it very boring at one hand, because you watch the same guy talking to you... But very helpful because they explain, pace and ask you questions at the same time.

Btw, from drugs mentioned nothing will help you study =)

Amphetamines are prescribed for ADD and narcolepsy - so that might work :-)
__________________
Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. EP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 03-04-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 170
Threads: 6
Thanked 137 Times in 90 Posts
Reputation: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
I haven't encountered Steven Harris yet. What subject/topics does he teach? I'll check him out. Maybe I need to put his videos in my high priority list. Thank you!
if i'm not mistaken, he's referring to the rockstar, The Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, the most awesome heavy metal band ever!

on a more serious note, i found 4-6 hours of video stuff at 1.5 to 2x(real video watched: 7-10hrs) daily was pretty much the maximum i could manage; & i took notes on FA instead of kaplan notes, now hoping this works out as good as i planned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-04-2012), tootsie (03-04-2012)
  #22  
Old 03-04-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theundead View Post
if i'm not mistaken, he's referring to the rockstar, The Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, the most awesome heavy metal band ever!
on a more serious note, i found 4-6 hours of video stuff at 1.5 to 2x(real video watched: 7-10hrs) daily was pretty much the maximum i could manage; & i took notes on FA instead of kaplan notes, now hoping this works out as good as i planned
Hey, undead! You've been poking fun at me in 2 threads! If I were Milla Jovovich of Resident Evil, I would have shot you already! Just to make sure hollywood got "zombie apocalypse 101" right!

I have read Kaplan notes already. I guess this is the time for me to put everything in FA too. Thanks for reminding me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 03-04-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSikorski View Post

Btw, from drugs mentioned nothing will help you study =)

Amphetamines are prescribed for ADD and narcolepsy - so that might work :-)
Aaaaawww... shoot! I got the drugs all mixed-up! I better watch those Behavioral Science videos again...

Thanks, DocSikorski!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 03-04-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 170
Threads: 6
Thanked 137 Times in 90 Posts
Reputation: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
Hey, undead! You've been poking fun at me in 2 threads! If I were Milla Jovovich of Resident Evil, I would have shot you already! Just to make sure hollywood got "zombie apocalypse 101" right!

I have read Kaplan notes already. I guess this is the time for me to put everything in FA too. Thanks for reminding me!

i was not poking fun at anybody. i humbly apologize if my post has in any way aggreviated you. my comments are just to ease the stress inherent in step1 prep. its like a defense mechanism(guess which one, it could be a usmle question!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 03-04-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theundead View Post
i was not poking fun at anybody. i humbly apologize if my post has in any way aggreviated you. my comments are just to ease the stress inherent in step1 prep. its like a defense mechanism(guess which one, it could be a usmle question!)
Oh, sheesh! I was just joking! I found your Steven Harris pic funny! I should have put more "LOLs" in my post.

I'm a big fan of zombie apocalypse movies and I found your username amusing.

Last edited by d_wiqed; 03-04-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #26  
Old 03-04-2012
DocSikorski's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,353
Threads: 94
Thanked 873 Times in 506 Posts
Reputation: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theundead View Post
if i'm not mistaken, he's referring to the rockstar, The Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, the most awesome heavy metal band ever!
You must be from Eastern Europe haha!

I love Iron Maiden too.
__________________
Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine. EP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 03-04-2012
fat1iscool's Avatar
USMLE Forums Guru
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 399
Threads: 45
Thanked 147 Times in 94 Posts
Reputation: 157
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
I haven't encountered Steven Harris yet. What subject/topics does he teach? I'll check him out. Maybe I need to put his videos in my high priority list. Thank you!
He teaches Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, antineoplastic drugs and the heavy metals.

You may also benefit from Biochemistry videos (heard they are awesome, haven't watched them myself though, my CDs started hating my laptop )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-05-2012)
  #28  
Old 03-05-2012
patho2012's Avatar
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 213
Threads: 13
Thanked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Reputation: 125
Default

Does anyone know how many hours does it take to watch Biochem, Pharm or other subjects normally? I know Kaplan videos totally take 210 hrs to watch, but I don't know the duration of individual subjs? Can anyone gimme some input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 03-05-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patho2012 View Post
Does anyone know how many hours does it take to watch Biochem, Pharm or other subjects normally? I know Kaplan videos totally take 210 hrs to watch, but I don't know the duration of individual subjs? Can anyone gimme some input?
Hi, patho2012! I found this list somewhere a few months back. I think it might be in a thread here somewhere. I can't attest to its accuracy though or tell whether this refers to the old kaplan videos or to the 2010 ones. In my observation, the list seems to give a good approximate of the no. of hours.

Anatomy 24 hrs
Behavioral science 25 hrs
Biohem and Medical Genetics 32 hrs
Immuno 9 hrs
Microbiology 16 hrs
Pathology 26 hrs
Pharmacology 25 hrs
Physiology 34 hrs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
madeha shahid (03-05-2012), MzLizMD (03-11-2012), patho2012 (03-05-2012)
  #30  
Old 03-05-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat1iscool View Post
He teaches Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, antineoplastic drugs and the heavy metals.

You may also benefit from Biochemistry videos (heard they are awesome, haven't watched them myself though, my CDs started hating my laptop )
Thanks! I'll look forward to watching that part of kaplan pharma.

Which biochem videos have you heard that are awesome? The old or the new? The new ones (2010) have mixed reviews. However, I have read that the old Kaplan videos have Lionel Raymon discuss ALL of biochem!

Raymon's biochem videos are like a legend out there. Great, fantastic reviews! Unfortunately, I only have the 2010 videos. I am planning to watch his old biochem lectures in Google videos (we can stream from there though not download), but lately, I found that they have been taken down.

I guess the 2010 will also serve me well, but I'd also love to be blown away by the old biochem videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #31  
Old 03-11-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 106
Threads: 10
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default fast way to finsih kaplan video with notes

hello everyone, i am new to this forum and new to usmle, so would like someone to advice on how fast can we finish kaplan video + kaplan notes.i am done with anatomy,physio and doing biochem.

1) in first method i watched video for a particular topic and simultaneously added imp points in notes with this i was able to finsih 25 to 35 pages of kaplan notes/day .... but then i thought its taking more time...
2) so in second try i just went through videos and tried to memorize almost everything from video but then it took way more time than previous one. as then i was able to finish only 15 to 20 pages of kaplan notes/day.

so pls pls can anyone tell me whats the best way to do kaplan note + videos. and on an average how many page of kaplan a normal human being can finish in a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (03-11-2012)
  #32  
Old 03-11-2012
MzLizMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 56
Threads: 10
Thanked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 49
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
Hi, patho2012! I found this list somewhere a few months back. I think it might be in a thread here somewhere. I can't attest to its accuracy though or tell whether this refers to the old kaplan videos or to the 2010 ones. In my observation, the list seems to give a good approximate of the no. of hours.

Anatomy 24 hrs
Behavioral science 25 hrs
Biohem and Medical Genetics 32 hrs
Immuno 9 hrs
Microbiology 16 hrs
Pathology 26 hrs
Pharmacology 25 hrs
Physiology 34 hrs
I have the 2010 vids which is approx the same, have sooo not watched them all yet.

The BioChem part is devided now:
Molecular bio: 4hr 35 ish min
Part 1: 5 hr
Part 2: bit under 14 hr. The part 2 is the metabolism part.

As micro and immuno has been weak points during my study I started with them and I must admit I got an "Ahhh aha feeling"


In which order did you folks view the vids??
__________________
Life is a journey and I am taking "the steps" on my way
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-11-2012)
  #33  
Old 03-12-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNitinArya View Post
hello everyone, i am new to this forum and new to usmle, so would like someone to advice on how fast can we finish kaplan video + kaplan notes.i am done with anatomy,physio and doing biochem.

1) in first method i watched video for a particular topic and simultaneously added imp points in notes with this i was able to finsih 25 to 35 pages of kaplan notes/day .... but then i thought its taking more time...
2) so in second try i just went through videos and tried to memorize almost everything from video but then it took way more time than previous one. as then i was able to finish only 15 to 20 pages of kaplan notes/day.

so pls pls can anyone tell me whats the best way to do kaplan note + videos. and on an average how many page of kaplan a normal human being can finish in a day.
The fastest way to go through the Kaplan books is to not watch videos. On the other hand, the fastest way to go through the videos is to not read Kaplan books while watching them. Different people have different ways of doing them. It depends on your study style...

KLN + Videos
Ideally, read and study KLN first. Then, watch the videos. This is done per topic/system. You can fastforward on the parts you already know. At the same time, it will reduce the notes you have to write down bec. you've understood and memorized what needs to be studied beforehand. This is the usual recommended way of doing Kaplan. This may be time-consuming at first, but once you finish, you don't need to worry about going back to the videos. You have maximized the use of KLN and their videos. There will be no "what ifs" or "should haves" along the way.

In watching videos only:
The flow in the videos does not follow the flow in the book, that's why it's hard to do them simultaneously. People then prefer watching videos only... and this works! Because you are then forced to write your own "understanding" or summary of the video in your own words. This is equivalent to a revision. By the end of the video, you have your own and more effective version of kaplan notes. This can be time-consuming, however, but it pays off in the end. I did this during my "revision phase".

In reading KLN only:
Ahhh... if you want to go fast -- really fast -- in your prep, this is the way to go. But you are sacrificing the "understanding" part that the kaplan videos have to offer. Unfortunately, usmle IS about understanding concepts. Kaplan videos give you a different perspective on things and helps you remember them more. I only went through KLN (without videos) during my first read.

I suggest do what works for you. Take your time... Summarize topics from the kaplan videos and take notes. You need it to build a sturdy foundation before you head for the qbanks.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
Dr.Tiger (02-04-2013), MzLizMD (03-12-2012), tootsie (03-12-2012)
  #34  
Old 03-12-2012
MzLizMD's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 56
Threads: 10
Thanked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Reputation: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post

In watching videos only:
The flow in the videos does not follow the flow in the book, that's why it's hard to do them simultaneously. People then prefer watching videos only... and this works! Because you are then forced to write your own "understanding" or summary of the video in your own words. This is equivalent to a revision. By the end of the video, you have your own and more effective version of kaplan notes. This can be time-consuming, however, but it pays off in the end. I did this during my "revision phase".

In reading KLN only:
Ahhh... if you want to go fast -- really fast -- in your prep, this is the way to go. But you are sacrificing the "understanding" part that the kaplan videos have to offer. Unfortunately, usmle IS about understanding concepts. Kaplan videos give you a different perspective on things and helps you remember them more. I only went through KLN (without videos) during my first read.

I suggest do what works for you. Take your time... Summarize topics from the kaplan videos and take notes. You need it to build a sturdy foundation before you head for the qbanks.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!
I totally agree with you! As I started with only reading it went faster, however with starting watching the vids... the "aha that's why it is important", have struck me more than once
__________________
Life is a journey and I am taking "the steps" on my way
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-12-2012), tootsie (03-12-2012)
  #35  
Old 03-12-2012
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 106
Threads: 10
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wiqed View Post
The fastest way to go through the Kaplan books is to not watch videos. On the other hand, the fastest way to go through the videos is to not read Kaplan books while watching them. Different people have different ways of doing them. It depends on your study style...

KLN + Videos
Ideally, read and study KLN first. Then, watch the videos. This is done per topic/system. You can fastforward on the parts you already know. At the same time, it will reduce the notes you have to write down bec. you've understood and memorized what needs to be studied beforehand. This is the usual recommended way of doing Kaplan. This may be time-consuming at first, but once you finish, you don't need to worry about going back to the videos. You have maximized the use of KLN and their videos. There will be no "what ifs" or "should haves" along the way.

In watching videos only:
The flow in the videos does not follow the flow in the book, that's why it's hard to do them simultaneously. People then prefer watching videos only... and this works! Because you are then forced to write your own "understanding" or summary of the video in your own words. This is equivalent to a revision. By the end of the video, you have your own and more effective version of kaplan notes. This can be time-consuming, however, but it pays off in the end. I did this during my "revision phase".

In reading KLN only:
Ahhh... if you want to go fast -- really fast -- in your prep, this is the way to go. But you are sacrificing the "understanding" part that the kaplan videos have to offer. Unfortunately, usmle IS about understanding concepts. Kaplan videos give you a different perspective on things and helps you remember them more. I only went through KLN (without videos) during my first read.

I suggest do what works for you. Take your time... Summarize topics from the kaplan videos and take notes. You need it to build a sturdy foundation before you head for the qbanks.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!
thanks a ton.,, dr d_wiqed u have clarified almost everything was looking for. one more thing you said u made notes of kaplan videos on your own how u did that did u make summary of video on recalling basis or u added them to first aid. thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



  #36  
Old 03-12-2012
d_wiqed's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 861
Threads: 19
Thanked 887 Times in 432 Posts
Reputation: 904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNitinArya View Post
thanks a ton.,, dr d_wiqed u have clarified almost everything was looking for. one more thing you said u made notes of kaplan videos on your own how u did that did u make summary of video on recalling basis or u added them to first aid. thanks again
I experimented on a lot of things. For some subjects, what worked for me is writing the notes down on a blank sheet of paper in my binder (not in FA). I followed the flow of the video and compiled my notes afterwards. I do it simultaneously with the videos.

On other subjects, I open a microsoft word program while watching the videos. I then type all my notes while they are lecturing and arrange them later. If they show graphs (i.e. physio), I just indicate the page number where they can be found in the book or do a print screen and copy them on the document. I still pause... but it saves time.

For "smaller" subjects (like immuno), I do them on "recall basis". I do minimal notes and just check with KLN the tables that the lecturer shows, and after each chapter, I summarize from what I can remember.

You can also annotate them directly into FA. I know someone did that and got a high score because he's always forced to explain in his own words the biochemical pathways in FA. LOL!

Different subjects may require different styles... See what works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
tootsie (03-12-2012)
  #37  
Old 03-12-2012
XpaezX's Avatar
USMLE Forums Master
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS+3
Posts: 1,216
Threads: 41
Thanked 1,316 Times in 706 Posts
Reputation: 1331
Default

My average was between 8-10 hours a day, up to 14 on weekends, soo depends on your stamina and self dedication
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
d_wiqed (03-12-2012), tootsie (03-22-2012)



Reply

Tags
Kaplan-Medical, Step-1-Preparation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The number of hours of Kaplan Videos daal USMLE Step 1 Forum 4 05-26-2016 02:34 AM
USMLE Step 1 Exam Preparation - 30 Hours of FREE Videos - Clear Concepts, Higher USMLE Scores DrNajeebLectures USMLE Links & Free Ads 8 01-28-2013 12:40 AM
How to go about Kaplan Videos Seetal USMLE Step 1 Forum 15 03-12-2012 11:32 AM
Save hours and hours of your precious time Enounce USMLE Links & Free Ads 4 03-07-2011 07:56 AM
Kaplan CK videos tima USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 8 12-21-2010 09:50 PM

RSS Feed
Find Us on Facebook
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2014)